Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

AARD VARKMAN posted:

he looks like a DreamWorks pre render or some poo poo lol

He looks to me like Marv after getting caught in several of Kevin's traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He looks to me like Marv after getting caught in several of Kevin's traps.

he looks like he's going to start gobbling up sugar water soon

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

he looks like a DreamWorks pre render or some poo poo lol

Dreamworks' The Boss Bigot

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
He looks like he was in the process of becoming a real boy like he always dreamed, but then lost interest halfway through.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Turns out many of those who took the opportunity to jump ship are still awaiting severance packages
https://twitter.com/sbstryker/status/1610760987996749824?t=8jvERZQljQg0-iIMkf2RLQ&s=19

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

drat that face looks ai generated

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

No, sorry, I still can't quite get a handle on what this guy's politics are. It's a mystery.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Paracausal posted:

Turns out many of those who took the opportunity to jump ship are still awaiting severance packages
https://twitter.com/sbstryker/status/1610760987996749824?t=8jvERZQljQg0-iIMkf2RLQ&s=19

There is no money.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there a source for the "cybertruck won't have airbags" story that isn't just that one article on "https://rechargd.com/" which appears to be a clickfarm site that posts random crap related to EVs while never citing any sources?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Elon looks like this 😐 emoji, in semi-human form.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

he looks like he's going to start gobbling up sugar water soon

his skin is hangin off his bones

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Elon looks like he tried to force a smile for the photo but released his expression a second too soon.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dude looks like he had Tesla handle his faces fuckin panel alignments

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
he looks like poo poo, and I hate him

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

turn on your monitor

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
look like thwomp

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Looking into it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Steadiman posted:

His facial hair is really starting to bother me. He should invest in shaving mirror or get it done professionally or something. That patchy stubble is in every drat picture I see of him

Much like having negative charisma while speaking in any type of public setting, it simply makes him more relatable. Just a regular guy!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Entropic posted:

Is there a source for the "cybertruck won't have airbags" story that isn't just that one article on "https://rechargd.com/" which appears to be a clickfarm site that posts random crap related to EVs while never citing any sources?

No, it’s BS.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Entropic posted:

No, it's dumbshit circlejerking.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"cybertruck won't have airbags" = false
"cybertruck is also a boat" = jury still out

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like how people have just decided something is untrue based on nothing.

Goon contrarian nature i suppose

We get it your super special now go away

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
All consumer passenger vehicles sold in the United States have required airbags since like 1998 or 1999. The only trucks that don’t require airbags are certain medium duty and heavy duty trucks (real heavy duty not the marketing from ford//Chevy/ram).

Medium-duty trucks generally weigh between 14,000 and 26,000 pounds, while heavy-duty trucks weigh between 26,001 and 33,000 pounds. The differences between these two truck classes all come down to the vehicle's size and weight. Although many pickup truck commercials boast about heavy-duty towing capacity, the reality is that most of these everyday pickups are classified as light duty.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are you claiming no airbags is a true story about an imaginary product? Please clarify

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Are you claiming no airbags is a true story about an imaginary product? Please clarify

Why on earth would you request more of Charlie's hammering?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

instead of airbags, the cybertruck will have ejection seats. like a couple helicopters and early jets, they will be downward-firing ejection seats.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Tesla is in the S&P 500.
What do you think the S&P ETFs that nearly everyone has as part of their 401(k)s owns?
Vanguard is the second largest stakeholder of TSLA.
I promise you that anyone with a Vanguard fund is not materially affected by Tesla's meltdown because it's a small part (consider the "500" of the "S&P 500") of the net asset value. Vanguard basically owns a major portion of the entire US economy by many metrics and the whole point of an index fund is that maybe one stock is up, another is down, but you capture the growth of entire sectors or sections of the economy. Buying the US economy is the bet. Not Tesla specifically.

Halisnacks posted:

Don’t they?

What’s the difference between people dumping shares in Tesla when they miss sales targets and people dumping shares in [another company] when they miss sales targets? In both cases the management of those companies might be disinclined to make productive long-term investments or inclined to reduce their cost base so they can pleasantly surprise with next quarter’s profits. In Tesla’s case they may deprioritise safety/QA (even more so); this would have real world consequences.

Obviously a Tesla investor should have cashed out in November 2021, but if some true believers choose to stay invested for several more years or even decades why is that such a bad thing?
You're making a specific bet on the company and at some point, we're learning now, that the laws of economics do in fact apply and if you value a company as if they won the race to be the dominant producer in the market they're in, then you've already tapped out the expected profit and price of the company. It's a "bad" thing insofar as yes you're misallocating capital, which is a fancy way of saying "losing your shirt because the horse you hitched your cart to is a loving crazy and is apt to run off a cliff."

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

FirstnameLastname posted:

vehicular forensics is pretty straightforward, especially in a car with 360° camera coverage, a telemetry suite and cabin recorded audio

assuming no telemetry or recording though:
first off: blood test to check for intoxicants/diabetic shock, if they're sober and functional, that mostly rules out something like this being unintentional, but not always ofc, and a drunk person can also intentionally attempt suicide, but a sober person in clear driving conditions during the day with a vehicle in working order will very rarely get into a single vehicle accident of this kind unintentionally unless they're doing some dumb poo poo and going way too fast or fuckin' with their phone.
phone is easy to check, speed of vehicle is evident from how far it went off the road or also phone gps data

intentional crash scenes and accidental ones normally look very different - lack of tread on the road will narrow it down a lot because intentional crashes -usually- won't have a loss of control before leaving the road, so no treadmarks, but can also mean the driver was intoxicated or otherwise unable to operate their vehicle or even hit a patch of ice/oil

Treadpath & ejected particulate on softer surfaces can indicate if a car was accelerating, decelerating, or holding a steady speed on leaving the road surface, especially right at the edge of the road where the engine is putting full power to the wheels and then they abruptly hit dirt/gravel.

Inexperienced drivers, the most likely to lose control of a vehicle and be unable to regain it before impact, will pretty much never put their foot on the gas in a loss of control situation, and usually will mash the brakes with all of their might, often trying to steer away at the same time.
That'll leave distinctive snakey tirepaths in on loose surfaces, even if they kept going in a straight direction, and ABS activation stutter-stop tread marks on solid road.

Intentional crashes don't decelerate before impact, and with suicide attempts, they're usually floored.

hard-accelerating vehicles on loose surfaces usually generate some wheel spin that will spray dirt/gravel like a roostertail and/or leave signs of TCS activation, and the indentation of the tread can tell you if you vehicle was speeding up or slowing down. If it's slowing down, the tread will be compacted forward because the car is trying to decelerate and shoving weight down into the front tires. If it's accelerating, the tread will be compacted in the opposite direction of travel

impact position & overall traj. is another tell, intentional wrecks will pretty much always be a straight line from the road to the center of their target, people learn to drive by centering their car in a lane, centering it in a parking spot, it's natural & intuitive.

If someone's going to intentionally run a car off a section cliff, into a wall, whether it's to attempt suicide or for insurance fraud or just ruining someone's car, they'll generally aim for the center of the section they're approaching, and they will not change their direction of travel or try to once they've left the road.

If they do, it will look distinctly different from genuine attempts to regain control because there'll be much more evidence of direct steering input and less of things like heavy suspension rebounding, fishtailing, unnecessary inputs, overcorrection, conflicting inputs (i.e. rapidly steering right, left, right repeatedly)

Angle of impact/takeoff also tells you a lot. it'll also almost always be a 90° angle between vehicle path and obstruction/ledge. Suicide attempts will sometimes be angled towards the driver's side some, attempts of just wrecking a car without loving yourself up will often be angled the other way, in the direction of the passenger side.

Very very rarely will an intentional high speed (>30mph) collision hit at a shallow angle unless it's almost parallel and just trying to shred the side of the car against something. It's usually at least 45° and closer to 90°

unintentional wrecks will, if the driver is aware/able, have veering, swerving, signs of
rapid attempted braking/accel/steering input between the edge of the road and the collision, and will hit much more often at shallow angles and on the edges of things, it won't be a clean path

Both because intentional attempts usually aren't made that way, and because the shallower your angle of approach, the less apparent movement and higher likelihood you won't notice if you're distracted/inebriated/etc so that stuff simply happens much more often (think someone veering into a guardrail/curb to their side at a couple feet a second)

these rules of thumb are pertinent for situations involving dry solid marked roadss & their periphery just to be clear; a lot of it doesn't apply to or imply the same thing on rainy/icy/etc surfaces or entirely loose stuff like gravel/dirt roads

This was a really cool post and I haven't actually ever thought of crash forensics before, thanks for an interesting read

This'll also really help me sell the insurance fraud I'm about to commit

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

All consumer passenger vehicles sold in the United States have required airbags since like 1998 or 1999. The only trucks that don’t require airbags are certain medium duty and heavy duty trucks (real heavy duty not the marketing from ford//Chevy/ram).

Medium-duty trucks generally weigh between 14,000 and 26,000 pounds, while heavy-duty trucks weigh between 26,001 and 33,000 pounds. The differences between these two truck classes all come down to the vehicle's size and weight. Although many pickup truck commercials boast about heavy-duty towing capacity, the reality is that most of these everyday pickups are classified as light duty.

Which is also why you can drive them with a Class C license. When they get into the 14klb range, IIRC air brakes start to be mandated, and anything with air brakes requires a special license (or an endorsement AFAIK)

If ole Leon was going to make the cybertruck weigh 15000 lbs to get around safety regulations just :lol::lmao: also I cannot imagine the sorta fires the batteries on a 15000lb truck would start

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Willing to bet it had nothing to do with vehicular forensics. Cops don't give one tenth of the poo poo required for all that. They brought him in and he confessed within 10 minutes because he's a dumbass.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Listen, I don't know how i can be more blatant about the facts - there are ZERO publicly avaliable cybertruck models that come standard with airbags. Hell, it's not even possible to custom order any airbags for a cybertruck yet! Tesla hasn't even announced that they plan to include driver airbags, let alone passenger, A-pillar, or any other type of airbag systems. If the burden of proof is on anyone, it's on those that blindly believe it'll ever come with airbags

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
the airbag is a whoopy cushion and also makes a fart noise lol good one m'lord

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Cybertruck will come with reverse airbags which deploy behind the head and slam the occupants full force headfirst into the dashboard

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Cybertruck will advertise to those who are unaware of their own mortality, and might be convinced they cannot die.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Can you link me to the source article saying they will not have airbags?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
well, i guess the lols are slowing down if we've spent the last two days arguing about whether or not a non-existent product will have airbags or not

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Should Cybertruck have airbags:

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

kw0134 posted:

I promise you that anyone with a Vanguard fund is not materially affected by Tesla's meltdown because it's a small part (consider the "500" of the "S&P 500") of the net asset value.

Just to put some numbers on it, since I was curious, for every $100 you have invested in an S&P 500 index fund, roughly 90¢ is in TSLA.

In contrast, the largest component is Apple, where you'd implicitly own $5.84 of it per $100 of SPY.

(The index rebalances regularly so the numbers in this post will be wrong before too long.)

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Tesla semi breaking down.

https://twitter.com/EarningCallElon/status/1610780716530556930?cxt=HHwWhIDTveCh0tosAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Lamech posted:

Should Cybertruck have airbags:

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

This is going to end up like tool/radiohead