Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
can a bucket brigade obsidianize magma or do you need to actually pump water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Bucket brigade can do it but it has to be from a z-level up or the water turns into steam

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
ok, so you can't just bucket brigade over the top of a volcano, you gotta floor it over.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Assuming the lip of the volcano is at the same level as the lava, yeah; I haven't embarked on a volcano yet so I don't have direct experience. Brigades on one square have a chance of spreading a little bit laterally once the square underneath is obsidian, but unless you want to brigade for the sake of saying you did it'd still probably be way faster (or less hassle, if you're setting a lot of pit zones for optimal workforce coverage) to pump water up from somewhere

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Hey, y'all, rate my sick-rear end library:

I had even greater ambitions for this if you can believe that, but the cavern layout didn't really lend itself to them. I do love how it turned out, though, and the surrounding infrastructure is also turning out great.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It is indeed sick-rear end. Good job.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

making libraries is one of my favorite things in this version. This was one i made a few weeks ago

and this is one i made a couple forts back. I only have unfinished pics of it unfortunately

It was in a ridiculously rich fort. That's gold and platinum flooring with gold bookshelves, copper chests, platinum tables and silver chairs. I eventually did finish it but i got bored of the fort and deleted it.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 5, 2023

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is there any benefit to indoor farming if i let it get all dense with cave fungus first? like letting fungus grow over all the sand?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 5, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Redeye Flight posted:

Hey, y'all, rate my sick-rear end library:

I had even greater ambitions for this if you can believe that, but the cavern layout didn't really lend itself to them. I do love how it turned out, though, and the surrounding infrastructure is also turning out great.

That's a sick view on it, for sure.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is it a bad idea to have your public tavern down by your new cavern layer? Or do the NPCs not care

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What in the gently caress is with aquifers with this release. It feels like I'll get like 6 layers of a light aquifer and then 10 more layers down will be a second one. It makes sedimentary layers basically unusuable in the embark.

edit: and it's often layers that shouldn't BE aquifers!!! Like fuckin' chalk.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 5, 2023

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i settled on a volcano getting all excited to have EZ Steel production but i forgot to check for coke. i havent got any coke!! and furthermore there's few trees on the map. man where's scarface when you need him

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sankis posted:

What in the gently caress is with aquifers with this release. It feels like I'll get like 6 layers of a light aquifer and then 10 more layers down will be a second one. It makes sedimentary layers basically unusuable in the embark.

Lately I’ve been going with no aquifer embarks with either a river or digging to caverns early and hoping for an underground lake or river because I’ve been annoyed by deep aquifers followed by more later down.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's also a couple of mods that just remove the aquifer stones

The light aquifer in my current embark is very annoying, I keep getting water and I just can't figure out from where, I've walled everything. Can aquifers leak from ceilings?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Azhais posted:

There's also a couple of mods that just remove the aquifer stones

The light aquifer in my current embark is very annoying, I keep getting water and I just can't figure out from where, I've walled everything. Can aquifers leak from ceilings?

yes, my understanding is that any aquifer tile will leak water until removed or walled off. an aquifer floor will still leak water down onto the tile below it, even if a wall is built on top. you gotta channel that thing out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jinnigan posted:

i settled on a volcano getting all excited to have EZ Steel production but i forgot to check for coke. i havent got any coke!! and furthermore there's few trees on the map. man where's scarface when you need him
You can ask the caravans to bring you some? You can also dig greedily and deep

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Mr E posted:

Lately I’ve been going with no aquifer embarks with either a river or digging to caverns early and hoping for an underground lake or river because I’ve been annoyed by deep aquifers followed by more later down.

I guess i'm going to need to do this. I tried asking about this in the kitfox discord but I guess that's not the place for this kind of thing since I just got "The game warns you not to embark there".

edit: from Putnam in said Discord:
"sedimentary stones were made deeper
toady mentioned this in FOTF
sedimentary stones are the ones with aquifers
it's a knock-on effect of a balance change"

thankfully im not the only one in there annoyed by this

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 5, 2023

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sankis posted:

I guess i'm going to need to do this. I tried asking about this in the kitfox discord but I guess that's not the place for this kind of thing since I just got "The game warns you not to embark there".

The game doesn't even actually warn you not to embark there, it just says you'll probably need to do some pumping, not "yeah vast swaths of z-levels are gonna be completely unusuable for anything.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

The game doesn't even actually warn you not to embark there, it just says you'll probably need to do some pumping, not "yeah vast swaths of z-levels are gonna be completely unusuable for anything.

I've had a few embarks with a single layer aquifer and one embark with a multi layer one. I really think it's just bad luck when you get an unmanageable one.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Weembles posted:

I've had a few embarks with a single layer aquifer and one embark with a multi layer one. I really think it's just bad luck when you get an unmanageable one.

Oh yeah that does mostly just sound like bad luck but if you complain about it on the discord and their response isn't "sounds like bad luck" but "the game warns you not to do that" it's worth noting that the game factually does not warn you not to do that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't really mind the aquifers but I'd be a lot happier if it was just x entire z levels in a row then no more.

The aforementioned leaky fort has the problem on the third set of light aquifer and I built two levels below the last damp stone. :negative:

If it would tell me which ceiling tiles were the problem I'd just build a couple of walls

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Just drop the loving rocks on the dwarf heads. Haulers are peasants anyway, it'll save the hammerer some work and more will show up to mooch off of the fort's mountainhome-level wealth

I just set all those useless poets to hauling and there's plenty more where those came from.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m still mad I can’t seem to assign the poet beggars to a military unit to make their hippy asses useful

Also, how come my human guys aren’t picking up my fancy steel breastplates and greaves and poo poo? Can I only make dwarven sizes?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you go into the construction order you can set what creature you're making the items for, so you can make large breastplates, etc

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m still mad I can’t seem to assign the poet beggars to a military unit to make their hippy asses useful

You can once they apply for permanent citizenship.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

You can't set temporary citizens labors from the main labor screen, but you can set them from their personal labors screen, so you can give them risky jobs like miner

Also, a good way to simplify armor sizes is to make armor sized for hyena men. Dwarves, elves, goblins and humans can all wear it: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Clothing#Size

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What is "Raw Crystal Glass", and can I use it to make Crystal Glass? I ordered some from the caravan expecting Rock Crystal, which is what you use to make Crystal Glass, but they brought "Raw Crystal Glass" which seems to be a worthless lump of glass you can't use for crafting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"raw glass" is like a raw gem. You can tell a jeweler to cut it and get a gem out of it, that can then be used for decorating.
Or just store it, sometimes a strange mood requires a specific type glass gem.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dang, is there any way to import Rock Crystal? I couldn't find uncut gems on the diplomacy menu, and I'm not having much luck finding them while digging either. I also noticed that they get cut by jewelers unless you specify individual gem types to cut :pwn:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Anyone else had the diplomacy button start periodically popping up but just disappearing when they click on it?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Wafflecopper posted:

Anyone else had the diplomacy button start periodically popping up but just disappearing when they click on it?

Someone ITT mentioned it a few hours back, I think, but don’t recall seeing any solution.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

GruntyThrst posted:

Putnam, the new programmer, recommends disabling cavern dwellers as they cause a save corruption bug right now. This is per BlindIRL's stream just a few moments ago.

I literally just had this happen to me. :smith: Maybe I can load an old save, but I'm guessing the cave fish men are getting back at me for my murder maze:

Almost seven years at Coallancer. I could probably just load an earlier save, but it was getting too laggy anyway; time to try out a new fort with a lower population cap and fewer cavern misadventures. Maybe I'll revisit when some cleanup tools become available or there's some optimization.

Jinnigan posted:

is there any benefit to indoor farming if i let it get all dense with cave fungus first? like letting fungus grow over all the sand?

I had third level cavern fungus on some nice loam and it still read as "poor soil." You may have to farm inside the cavern itself. It's kind of a pain to have plants and young tower caps growing all over anyway, since they can block your farm plots. Just build slightly larger plots on normal soil and it'll be fine.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Azhais posted:

I don't really mind the aquifers but I'd be a lot happier if it was just x entire z levels in a row then no more.

The aforementioned leaky fort has the problem on the third set of light aquifer and I built two levels below the last damp stone. :negative:

If it would tell me which ceiling tiles were the problem I'd just build a couple of walls

If water keeps spilling down your stairs you are digging it I think your miner mistakes that water for more aquifer. Dig a long line from your stairs and see if you are still getting damp stones. Then dig stairs upwards to test your aquifer levels.

I had this happen to me and I ended up walling of 8 z-levels while digging my stairs. When I tried making a new stair up much later in the fort I discovered the drat thing was only two Z levels

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Welp, I tried to salvage my fort from before, but the game now crashes on any attempt to save, be it a save and exit or a manual save and continue. I'm unwilling to put in the time to wait until a seasonal autosave to watch that crash too, so I guess that is it for the fortress of Angrychild. The children spent their days hauling around bins full of metal bars and by the gods they seemed to have enjoyed it. There were no upset children at all, much less angry ones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My crossbow guys are doing great work, when they have ammo. I have so much ammo laying around, and when I order them to train they do pick up more, but when they're actively on duty fighting poo poo they'll just shoot till they run out and then stand there. Is there any way to get them to like... go resupply? I end up having to put them all back on training and hope they pick up ammo.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Marksdwarves just standing around would be an improvement for me. :v: If things go well on my end, they'll shoot all their shots while advancing on the enemy, and then go into melee with their default cloth uniform and *sanguaro wood crossbow*. Half of them forget to bring ammo and just run heedless into iron-equipped enemies. I pretty much save them for shooting at things from behind fortifications, or taking down flyers that are bothering my outdoor dwarves.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah i find marksdwarves AI seems purposefully designed to make them as annoying as possible. I forced mine into a 1 tile wide fortification zone because they're otherwise too stupid to shoot from them. When they run out of ammo I have to order them back to training to simply hope they pick up ammo. I have stacks and stacks of steel bolts but they'll go and grab 3 random iron bolts and a bone bolt because why not.

The worst though is when I finally opened my gate to let the goblins into my traps. I had everyone, even the marksdwarves, set to a burrow to hide. The moment the gate opened all my marksdwarves sprinted out to "pickup equipment". I frantically tried to forbid everything from the battle around the entry but nothing could stop them from charging out of the fortress and going south. They were of course all quickly slaughtered. What were they after? There were a couple steel bolts at the far south edge of the map for some reason. They refused to carry any other ammo other than those bolts.

I love the challenge of this game when its a legitimate challenge and not just horrible AI and a horrible order system. Maybe I could have hunted this bolt down and forbid it, but the game doesn't tell me what they're after. Also I shouldn't have to worry about something like that. They have a designated range overflowing with ammo INSIDE the fort, closer to where they were. A simple check to see if they're out of ammo and then send them back to their range to pick up as much as they can possibly carry and then go back to their post. Easy. Why does the game have to be so... like this for so many mechanics?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sankis posted:

edit: and it's often layers that shouldn't BE aquifers!!! Like fuckin' chalk.

If you're digging downwards, and getting water in the bottom of the mineshaft, all tiles around will be marked "damp", regardless if there's an aquifer there or not.
Try digging a couple of levels at a time, and see if it disappears. You might very well be through.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

While you weak fools have dedicated your resources to building libraries for puny nerds, my dwarves have raised a great temple to dread Momuz, God of Death, Night, and the Moon. Behold!

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

That’s rad