Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
One thing that has also only been very lightly touched on in this thread is how absolutely gruesome real CPR is, it's not like it looks on TV. They definitely haven't seen something like that when teammates have had knee injuries and the like.

Jivesauce fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jivesauce posted:

One thing that has also only very lightly touched on in this thread is how absolutely gruesome real CPR is, it's not like it looks on TV. They definitely haven't seen something like that when teammates have had knee injuries and the like.

Seriously, part of the training is that if the ribs aren’t cracking you’re doing it wrong.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

I'm not sure if they used the AED while he was on the field but I think there's speculation that one video in particular from what felt like an end zone cam may have been showing reactions of players as they literally were watching their guy, who only minutes earlier was playing football and laughing and high fiving with them, potentially get zapped by panels, something they'd almost assuredly only ever seen on TV.

I saw a guy get AED'd at the airport and to say it's unsettling would be a massive, massive understatement as someone who isn't in the medical profession.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Good point. CPR is a great, life saving practice that is super important... but it is also absolutely barbaric in many respects and recipients are left very injured afterward (but still alive).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And use of an AED can cause a very violent looking reaction in the person's body when it delivers the shocks.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Petey posted:

I don't want to start a D&D/LF chat in here, but the way the players — based on the quote above, on both teams — are reacting really does feel qualitatively different from other serious life-threatening injuries, and I am curious as to why.

Don't get me wrong: it's incredibly traumatic, what happened, and if I were a football player, I would also not be in the headspace to play. But then again, I didn't get selected through a decade+ of being trained to keep playing no matter what gruesome injury happens on my team.

I guess I'm basically wondering how much of this is the particular and unique shock of what happened Sunday (including the treatments on the field); broader pandemic-era shifts in labor power / sensibility / "what's important in life" / etc; something else. I don't know. This just feels really different (as a million other people have said, sorry for the cliche), and the social scientist part of my brain wants to know why.

I work in health care, I've watched people die, watched them run the code into futility and call it. Still gets me gucked up, even with years of seeing the brutal horrors of human frailty. I would not be surprised if this was a very significantly traumatic experience for not only the bills and Bengals, but the league at large. I certainly hope the NFL is offering counseling services to every player. All of the games this weekend are going to be difficult for players.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Ryan Clark had a great quote about this in the coverage after the game was called Monday, if I can find the exact clip I'll post it (he had a LOT of great words.) He said, paraphrasing, "I don't think I really knew I could die at 24." That really hit a nerve with me, and at least for me helped explain the reactions we saw. Sure these players know there's all kinds of terrible injuries, but they also have been getting the best medicine (more or less) in the world and there's just kind of this expectation of how it goes - this wasn't that. Suddenly the entire structure and staff that sort of protects them from this being life or death is moving at a speed where you know they're scared. You realize that these people aren't thinking "Let's get him to the thumbs up" but "Let's get a loving pulse." That's got to be terrifying. We teach these players who are barely adults to believe they're invincible and they just got it stripped away in seconds - and worse, it's your friend and teammate. You realize that holy gently caress this guy might not make it home, this guy might not make it off the field.

Here's a clip. It's a little quiet. But the power comes through.

https://twitter.com/MarcWYFFNews4/status/1610125896857387009?t=XAJNfWTVjk4MtaTLkyKz6g&s=19

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Lifespan posted:

Interesting. I would have guessed they would want to get back out and "work out their emotions on the field and play for Damar", but I didn't watch a teammate almost die on said field so I can only imagine how they are feeling.

Someone, I think it was Ryan Clark, said that it's tough for players because football is their "bubble." Where they go to get away from problems at home, or family issues, and in this case the issue is INSIDE the bubble, so there's nowhere for them to go to work things out.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TheKevman posted:

I'm not sure if they used the AED while he was on the field but I think there's speculation that one video in particular from what felt like an end zone cam may have been showing reactions of players as they literally were watching their guy, who only minutes earlier was playing football and laughing and high fiving with them, potentially get zapped by panels, something they'd almost assuredly only ever seen on TV.

I saw a guy get AED'd at the airport and to say it's unsettling would be a massive, massive understatement as someone who isn't in the medical profession.

Working where there are lots of AEDs and a very real chance of needing to use one any given day will make you look at those things with a tremendous amount of respect and a burning hope that you never do have to use it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Thanks. Yeah, I hope someone makes a supercut of Ryan Clark with Scott Van Pelt from that coverage. There's a few clips that are probably the best segments floating around, but just about everything Ryan Clark said in that show was helped contextualize and calm so many emotions for me because of how well he spoke on the situation. I wouldn't have expected it, but I'm glad it hasn't gone unnoticed.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I hope someone makes a supercut of Ryan Clark with Scott Van Pelt from that coverage. There's a few clips that are probably the best segments floating around, but just about everything Ryan Clark said in that show was helped contextualize and calm so many emotions for me because of how well he spoke on the situation. I wouldn't have expected it, but I'm glad it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Clark and Booger were both great. This tweet is hilarious to me because it basically happened here.

https://twitter.com/thornton_melon/status/1610104595065225221?s=46&t=nTKYHbSQ-xQJPbLbrjVg7w

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

I work in health care, I've watched people die, watched them run the code into futility and call it. Still gets me gucked up, even with years of seeing the brutal horrors of human frailty. I would not be surprised if this was a very significantly traumatic experience for not only the bills and Bengals, but the league at large. I certainly hope the NFL is offering counseling services to every player. All of the games this weekend are going to be difficult for players.

I can't remember if it was Clark of Booger or maybe Suzy but I feel like I remember someone saying this pretty soon after and they were spot on.

Seriously though, that SVP and Clark broadcast is something I'll never forget.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

Working where there are lots of AEDs and a very real chance of needing to use one any given day will make you look at those things with a tremendous amount of respect and a burning hope that you never do have to use it.

God, I can absolutely imagine.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

this is the part where it's speculated they were either intubating or doing AED on him. You don't see anything to be clear but yeah.

e: also like give those EMTs, no matter what happens, some season tickets or some poo poo. That was uh really tough work under literal national pressure being stared at.

https://twitter.com/jacksettleman/status/1610094128968212481

adaz fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 5, 2023

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

This is for real.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Clark and Booger were both great. This tweet is hilarious to me because it basically happened here.

https://twitter.com/thornton_melon/status/1610104595065225221?s=46&t=nTKYHbSQ-xQJPbLbrjVg7w

This is also for real.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

Lifespan posted:

This is for real.

This is also for real.

I'm actually really thankful and glad that the players and staff walled up around him so there isn't more/detailed video of it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/dragonflyjonez/status/1610721980231159808?s=46&t=sBk7vk-cze8DnYTtxW99XQ

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Worth noting that the bills specifically kept everett on the roster long enough for his pension to kick in for this reason

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Great link. And well said. Hearing a former players rant on the whole situation, plus this, has me jaded as gently caress.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My man has some righteous fury going on. And more power to him. He's absolutely right to be this mad.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Well loving said!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

go off king

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

adaz posted:

e: also like give those EMTs, no matter what happens, some season tickets or some poo poo. That was uh really tough work under literal national pressure being stared at.

They will be at the next game. And the next. And the next. And, well you get the point.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Petey posted:

I don't want to start a D&D/LF chat in here, but the way the players — based on the quote above, on both teams — are reacting really does feel qualitatively different from other serious life-threatening injuries, and I am curious as to why.

Don't get me wrong: it's incredibly traumatic, what happened, and if I were a football player, I would also not be in the headspace to play. But then again, I didn't get selected through a decade+ of being trained to keep playing no matter what gruesome injury happens on my team.

I guess I'm basically wondering how much of this is the particular and unique shock of what happened Sunday (including the treatments on the field); broader pandemic-era shifts in labor power / sensibility / "what's important in life" / etc; something else. I don't know. This just feels really different (as a million other people have said, sorry for the cliche), and the social scientist part of my brain wants to know why.

It's something I've been thinking a lot about as well, since earlier this year the Bills had another player that had to be ambulanced out and the game went on as usual.

My best guess is that a part of it hinges on just how different the experience must've been. Generally, your teammate is hurt, but conscious and talking to the team doctor. Maybe it's a bad injury, but as a player, you have some idea of what it all means and you know that in 10-15 minutes, you'll probably get a "thumbs up" as they leave the field. You're able to interact with them as it's all going on.

But with Hamlin, he's out. And not only is he out, but he's getting CPR and maybe intubated or getting hit with the AED.

Just feels like it must be a fundamentally different experience.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

:five::five::five::five::five::five: holy gently caress this is incredibly well said and while the optimist in me wants to think this moment will translate to more, the realist in me says the NFL will keep it business as usual.

I'm acknowledging my own queasyness for the foreseeable future. I stopped watching the NFL for a year or so after Kevin Everett (which I saw live) and Ryan Shazier got me hosed up pretty good.

I'll be skipping the games this weekend and think it's time for me, personally, to take another break. Yes, it's a violent sport, yes they know it, yes, they signed up for it but there have to be bare minimums in a $100B league where we don't just chew up and spit out these players.

Obviously not gonna try to sway anyone else because everyone needs to do what they need to do but this one got me shook, bad.

At a minimum, guarantee the contracts and healthcare of our players. Every other sport has it, and this is far and away the one that deserves it the most.

I just feel so...dirty. And I hate it.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 5, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lifespan posted:

A make up of the game is definitely not going to happen. At this point it is more a question of if it is a tie or if they act like the game never happened and go purely by win pct.

They cannot award the teams a tie. No provision in the rules allow for it. It will be canceled or resumed, and canceled is most likely.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just F5'd the GFM and its up over 7 million :unsmith:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

All well said and if you need a companion piece the Boston Globe followed up with the 2001 New England Patriots and it echoes a lot of this. Link here!

quote:

Jermaine Wiggins, a tenement kid from East Boston who gained a glimmer of fame by helping the Patriots win their first Super Bowl and launch one of football’s greatest dynasties, went broke within two years of his last NFL game.

But Wiggins was never alone in hardship among alumni of New England’s historic 2001 team.

Twenty years after those underdog Patriots shocked the football world and triggered the transformation of Boston into a City of Champions, life has been extraordinarily kind to many in their ranks. Tom Brady, Richard Seymour, and Willie McGinest, among others, have basked in wealth and glory.

Yet an outsized number of their teammates have been haunted by trouble and tragedy. Had those Patriots champions gathered this year for a 20th reunion, their numbers would have been sharply depleted by premature mortality. In all, seven players who started the first title season in Foxborough have died between the ages of 35 and 50, strikingly young even for veterans of professional football. A 2019 study of NFL players from 1979 to 2013 found their average life expectancy was 59.6 years.

Many of the 2001 team’s living alumni, meanwhile, share painful histories of financial and emotional distress. Wiggins, who made several momentous plays for the trailblazing Super Bowl team, is one of eight members of the title team who fell hard into bankruptcy. Most, like Wiggins, a seven-year NFL veteran who got squeezed by the Great Recession, lost nearly everything.

“A lot of us were blessed to play in the NFL,” Wiggins said. “Now, unfortunately, there are guys who are no longer with us, and there are other guys who are dealing with stuff, whether it’s from head issues or financial problems or alcohol abuse or drug abuse.”

At least seven other players on the Patriots’ first championship team avoided bankruptcy but not fiscal calamity: liens, foreclosures, evictions, court cases, the ever-present threat of outright insolvency.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

E: nvm

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 5, 2023

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Seriously, part of the training is that if the ribs aren’t cracking you’re doing it wrong.

We get how cool you are, dude

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Big Beef City posted:

We get how cool you are, dude

It’s also not true lol

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

It’s also not true lol

eh... to be fair that's exactly what the dumbass medics in the army taught us. I'd defer to you, the professional, but I understand why people think that.

Looks like Hamlin's father addressed the team and said he's making progress, but again, none of us know what that means.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

No Butt Stuff posted:

eh... to be fair that's exactly what the dumbass medics in the army taught us. I'd defer to you, the professional, but I understand why people think that.

Looks like Hamlin's father addressed the team and said he's making progress, but again, none of us know what that means.

It was also given knowledge in the navy that you were likely to injure ribs if you were giving hard enough chest compressions. There's a lot of tribal knowledge about this. In fact, I think I heard it in first aid courses before the navy, too.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In thinking about Damar I was talking to a lions friend who reminded me of Reggie Brown's injury. I did remember he got hurt, but I actually forgot it was during Barry Sander's eclipsing of 2000 yards.

Reggie Brown got CPR on the field and was taken off in an ambulance. And then they RESUMED PLAY! Barry broke the record and Reggie was a footnote :(

I think in this crappy world and this dumb sport we can say we've at least progressed that much. They just threw Reggie in an ambulance and played on. Berman's commentary almost treats it like a footnote then its back to Barry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMHaUlwqMnc

You can watch the highlights. Reggie's injury is shown and talked about between 2:00 - 2:25 mark of the video if you want to skip. Its not so graphic he goes for a tackle leading with the crown of his helmet and gets smushed.

I 100% believe Barry didn't care about that record. They should have stopped playing.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
i heard the best way to give cpr is with a hammer

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

i heard the best way to give cpr is with a hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwWeMbOmIY

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/kaiirelam5/status/1611019806651867137

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Awesome. Hope they don't show him the GoFundme for a while to avoid any more heart attacks

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I want to know how "awake" he is, but I am cautiously optimistic and very happy for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Oh man that sounds like super good news.