Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Libluini posted:

Found some more details.

The tank in question is a light recon tank with wheels, the AMX-10 RC.

Edit:

France wants to replace their 247 AMX-10 RCs with a newer tank, the Jaguar. So there's a good chance a lot of those 247 light tanks will end up getting dumped into Ukraine.

Also I think this means more political pressure on Chancellor Scholz to also start sending at least more lighter armored vehicles. Since his official line always was "others first, please".

25 battalions of AMX-10 RC would look a bit cathartic in, you know, your average Ukrainian wheat steppe. Though it's highly unlikely for such a transfer on a timeline quicker than "multiple years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Charlotte Hornets posted:

How good are these things for indirect fire?

They're just a small, fast-moving tank. Not more or less than any big, armored thing with a gun on it.

Looking at the unusually heavy cannon for a tank this size (MECA-L/48, 105 mm), their main strengths are speed, maneuverability and a gun strong enough to beat a lot of Russian tanks, as even modern tanks can get mission killed by this thing if the tank gets a good angle.

I'd say they have a comparative indirect fire capability to any other combat tank, there's nothing in their data that says they're unusually good or bad at aiming, so they're essentially just a really cheap Leo-2 with wheels.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Libluini posted:

They're just a small, fast-moving tank. Not more or less than any big, armored thing with a gun on it.

Looking at the unusually heavy cannon for a tank this size (MECA-L/48, 105 mm), their main strengths are speed, maneuverability and a gun strong enough to beat a lot of Russian tanks, as even modern tanks can get mission killed by this thing if the tank gets a good angle.

I'd say they have a comparative indirect fire capability to any other combat tank, there's nothing in their data that says they're unusually good or bad at aiming, so they're essentially just a really cheap Leo-2 with wheels.

Leo 2 has a larger calibre cannon with fancier controls, and an option to have a longer barrel as well, in addition to all the fancy-pants ammunition – I'm not convinced that the comparison is a particularly adequate one. All that said, the cannon on AMX-10 RC is still NATO triple heavy rated at 2.2 km, which means that in that range most hits will penetrate the majority of Soviet tanks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Leo 2 has a larger calibre cannon with fancier controls, and an option to have a longer barrel as well, in addition to all the fancy-pants ammunition – I'm not convinced that the comparison is a particularly adequate one. All that said, the cannon on AMX-10 RC is still NATO triple heavy rated at 2.2 km, which means that in that range most hits will penetrate the majority of Soviet tanks.

yeah, that's why I called the AMX-10 RC a cheap Leo-2, not an actual Leo-2 (cheap as in knock-off, not "the same, but with less cost")

Since it's good enough to shoot up some Soviet tanks and probably a lot cheaper in both actual cost and maintenance than real Leos.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is a tank without treads formally a tank?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Rinkles posted:

The t in tank clearly stands for tread, making the AMX-10 RC a wank instead....

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Idk, there’s a Stryker infantry-carrier variant that strips out everything to stick a turret with a 105mm cannon (same as an Abrams) on the drat thing, and all the internals to support it/store ammo.

When they were new they couldn’t shoot with the barrel traversed more than ~45° from forward, for fear of tipping the drat things over (the Stryker chassis has always been a bit top-heavy).

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Charlotte Hornets posted:

How good are these things for indirect fire?

It apparently uses a 105mm medium pressure cannon soooo probably not bad but probably not as good as a T-72.

The main advantage with it appears to be that its very fast and maneuverable on rough terrain. That and wheeled vehicles usually demand less maintenance than tracks. Doesn't have a stabilized barrel though and the electronics sound like they haven't been updated since the 80's. Armor wise its not much better than a IFV so most any RPG or light cannon can knock it out.

Its pretty much a big gun on wheels. They can always put that to use but it sounds like its very obsolete for its OG role as a tank destroyer.

https://www.technology.org/2022/09/03/french-amx-10-rc-looks-like-a-tank-but-is-not-a-tank-why-it-could-still-be-useful-for-ukraine/

Getting more of the special French cartridge it shoots sounds like it potentially could be a issue but I have no clue how much France will give them or how much they've got laying around.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

It's armored, which makes it a Panzer, therefore it's a tank.

Pablo Bluth posted:

The t in tank clearly stands for tread, making the AMX-10 RC a wank instead....

What does the n and k stand for?

Icon Of Sin posted:

Idk, there’s a Stryker infantry-carrier variant that strips out everything to stick a turret with a 105mm cannon (same as an Abrams) on the drat thing, and all the internals to support it/store ammo.

When they were new they couldn’t shoot with the barrel traversed more than ~45° from forward, for fear of tipping the drat things over (the Stryker chassis has always been a bit top-heavy).

Kind of funny, this thing was used in several wars, including in Afghanistan, and it seems they've learned from the Stryker's bad example. I'm basing this entirely on the feast our media would have had about French tanks tipping over, and those reports have been completely absent in reporting over those wars. :v:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Libluini posted:

What does the n and k stand for?
Tracked Armoured Nasty Kar.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Libluini posted:

Kind of funny, this thing was used in several wars, including in Afghanistan, and it seems they've learned from the Stryker's bad example. I'm basing this entirely on the feast our media would have had about French tanks tipping over, and those reports have been completely absent in reporting over those wars. :v:

The amx-10rc precedes the stryker

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Libluini posted:

The gun on this is much less powerful than the one on M1128. However, IIRC the French also bought really good HE-FRAG shells for them, which makes it a lot more useful for non-tank killing tasks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

The amx-10rc precedes the stryker

OK, I didn't expect this. So there's really no excusing the Stryker, huh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Libluini posted:

yeah, that's why I called the AMX-10 RC a cheap Leo-2, not an actual Leo-2 (cheap as in knock-off, not "the same, but with less cost")

Since it's good enough to shoot up some Soviet tanks and probably a lot cheaper in both actual cost and maintenance than real Leos.

Ah, gotcha - I had erroneously interpreted it as the latter meaning.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Being Ukraine in this war feels like some air and land variant of the Ace Combat games where you have NATO and Warsaw pact vehicles fighting side by side against predominantly Russian equipment.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Getting more of the special French cartridge it shoots sounds like it potentially could be a issue but I have no clue how much France will give them or how much they've got laying around.

France has had 240 of the things in service until recently which should translate to a decent amount of ammunition laying around.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Libluini posted:

OK, I didn't expect this. So there's really no excusing the Stryker, huh

Stryker MGS uses the same hull as the rest of the Stryker family, which are prone to roll over even before putting a heavy cannon on top. In exchange you get simpler logistics when every Stryker vehicle uses mostly interchangeable parts.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

France has had 240 of the things in service until recently which should translate to a decent amount of ammunition laying around.

Sure but decent for France and decent for Ukraine are probably 2 different things.

Ukraine is using quite a bit of cannon ammo daily and their burn rate hasn't been easy for the US and other suppliers to keep up with over time.

For all we know France might have a 100k shells for it laying around, plenty for them, but thats only a few months worth supply for Ukraine. It generally seems that the European militaries have let stockpiles dwindle compared to what they were during the Cold War.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rinkles posted:

It is if you're a doctrine neutral and structure radical!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Sure but decent for France and decent for Ukraine are probably 2 different things.

Ukraine is using quite a bit of cannon ammo daily and their burn rate hasn't been easy for the US and other suppliers to keep up with over time.

For all we know France might have a 100k shells for it laying around, plenty for them, but thats only a few months worth supply for Ukraine. It generally seems that the European militaries have let stockpiles dwindle compared to what they were during the Cold War.

Tank shells haven't really been subject to the same ultra high burn rate as artillery shells in this conflict.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was in a Stryker brigade, the MGS's would be deadlined just by looking at them funny. Keeping the MGS's operational is definitely one of the biggest headaches for the weapons troop commander, the squadron maintenance officer and the maintenance warrant officer. Even if it was easy to maintain, it's still lacks the armor of a real tank, it just happens to have a tank sized gun on it. You can't use the MGS offensively the same way that you can an Abrams.

The modern Abrams models fire a 120mm round, not the 105mm of the MGS. Only the original model of the Abrams ever fired 105mm, and that was decades ago.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vox Nihili posted:

Tank shells haven't really been subject to the same ultra high burn rate as artillery shells in this conflict.

And it's hard to see a light recon tank spending that much time spamming shells at the enemy anyway. For all we know, they could be relegated to a reserve force in the quieter sectors to free main battle tank reserves to the big fights. They might never play any visible role in the war.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh, I think there's a few dozen thousand T-90/80/72/62 shells that have burned at a really ultra high rate. Mostly in their autoloaders, buuut...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Libluini posted:

Found some more details.

The tank in question is a light recon tank with wheels, the AMX-10 RC.
That's a decent vehicle. Can't take a hit for poo poo but it's got a medium pressure 105 with modern APFSDS, NVs and thermals. I don't think it's got a stabilizer tho.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 4, 2023

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

That's a decent vehicle. Can't take a hit for poo poo but it's got a medium pressure 105 with modern APFSDS, NVs and thermals.

I just wish it had a stabilizer, wait wrong thread.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just wish it had a stabilizer, wait wrong thread.
I mean you jest but my tanker uncle was *astonished* at how effective the things are the first time he got into a vehicle with one (Leclerc).

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

cr0y posted:

Has Russian been able to confirm the kill of *any* HIMARS?

Nothing that's made it to the Oryx list. That in itself isn't really surprising, since their rear-echelon units and Ukraine would gain nothing from publicly sharing pictures of a shredded HIMARS.
A recent Perun video said the most credible claims put the total somewhere between 0 and 2. So lol.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

But enough about your typical goon

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

U.S. President Joe Biden on Wednesday said that sending Bradley Fighting Vehicles to Ukraine was being considered to help the that country fight Russia's invasion.

"Yes," Biden said when asked if the option was on the table.

https://archive.is/UlyKG

Bit more credible than the prior rumors on this.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Nenonen posted:

And it's hard to see a light recon tank spending that much time spamming shells at the enemy anyway. For all we know, they could be relegated to a reserve force in the quieter sectors to free main battle tank reserves to the big fights. They might never play any visible role in the war.

Good point but it's also and likely better used as localized artillery. Same with the Bradley; with this new tactic of human spam wave attacks and mass conscription, light and fast armor with anti-meat gunnery (especially the 25mm chain gun) is going to very much help Ukranian defense and advancement. I remember a recent video defending a human wave attack saying "we need armor" - basically rapidly deployable bullet proof bunker that has bigger weaponry than a rifle or MG.

A lot of analysis has pointed to the heavy armor losses by Russia as due to a lack of combined arms support, but clearly precision artillery and a lack of thermal imaging technology has played a part. I don't think the Ukrainian armor will need to account for any of these factors.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Deltasquid posted:

It is if you're a doctrine neutral and structure radical!
Toyat's next advertising campaign "Are you doctrine radical and structural radical? Then own a tank today!"

With all the vehicles or many varying types that are getting sent to Ukraine, are they sent with a whole bunch of spare parts for them as well? I would imagine many of them would basically be mostly made up of none of the shelf parts.

Their were articles earlier on talking about how they had quite a lot of good mechanics who weren't having any trouble any of the ex-soviet stuff as obviously, but for the really new stuff that you hear Ukraine's been sent like four. If a major part goes, is that just try and tow it somewhere safe until, hopefully you can get a part sent from who ever originally sent the thing?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Has Russia just given up on Bakhmut then? I can't remember the last update that came from that area.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pook Good Mook posted:

Has Russia just given up on Bakhmut then? I can't remember the last update that came from that area.

Nah. I bet Russia takes it eventually. They’ve been reportedly encroaching slowly into suburbs.

It’s one of those fights where the Russians and the Ukrainians will both simultaneously tell reporters it’s the most miserable lovely fight of the war.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64153581

Example:

quote:

"Wagner soldiers openly advance under fire towards us even if they're littering the land with their bodies, even if out of 60 people in their platoon only 20 are left. It's very difficult to hold against such an invasion. We weren't prepared for that, and we're learning now," Commander Skala says.
"Some weeks ago, we lost positions on the eastern approaches to the city because the enemy was constantly storming us with assaults. We moved to secondary front lines to save our soldiers," he adds.
"We are trying to work smartly and get those positions back. Sometimes you have to withdraw to attack the enemy properly."
Wagner leader Yevgeny Prigozhin has said Ukrainians have turned every house in Bakhmut into a fortress, and that there were now "500 lines of defence".

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Toyat's next advertising campaign "Are you doctrine radical and structural radical? Then own a tank today!"

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

If they sold either the Kia Bongo or the Toyota Hilux in the States, I'd get one. Both of those trucks are unstoppable little freaks of engineering that I have spent too much time driving in my career.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Light recon tanks fit well with murderball offensives like the one in Kharkiv.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

Light recon tanks fit well with murderball offensives like the one in Kharkiv.

Also, those tanks surely have some good optics that help with a lot of recon-related things, right?

Not every tank has to be some giant M1 King Abrams Tiger-IS Mark MMCCIIV

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They do have good optics, but I'm not sure how well they fit into Ukraine doctrinally. The French have been using them in Africa (mostly Mali iirc) and Afghanistan so patrolling infantry can bring a really big gun and MG to any potential argument.

That said, I doubt any squad is going to say no to having a 105mm cannon on wheels sit back and watch over them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dr_rat posted:

With all the vehicles or many varying types that are getting sent to Ukraine, are they sent with a whole bunch of spare parts for them as well? I would imagine many of them would basically be mostly made up of none of the shelf parts.

Their were articles earlier on talking about how they had quite a lot of good mechanics who weren't having any trouble any of the ex-soviet stuff as obviously, but for the really new stuff that you hear Ukraine's been sent like four. If a major part goes, is that just try and tow it somewhere safe until, hopefully you can get a part sent from who ever originally sent the thing?

They’re sent with some spares, but those tend to wear out quickly (see, the Caesar article from my most recent roundup), and the full repair story for the Western gear seems to be towing it to Europe. Obviously, there’s things like “attach new headlight” that can always be done locally, but I don’t believe they’ve been entrusted means for any complex repairs yet.

Huggybear posted:

anti-meat gunnery

I’d like you to not use unnecessarily graphic language in this thread, going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mlmp08 posted:

Nah. I bet Russia takes it eventually. They’ve been reportedly encroaching slowly into suburbs.

It’s one of those fights where the Russians and the Ukrainians will both simultaneously tell reporters it’s the most miserable lovely fight of the war.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64153581

Example:

Prigozin was making noises about Bakhmut being effectively impenetrable a few days ago, which I think is what that person was referring to. (as reported in https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/03/ukraine-wagner-leader-counts-cost-as-russian-offensive-stalls-in-bakhmut since I don't have the video on hand). granted I read that as more of a political statement than as a statement of intention, but there's also been a rapid increase in the amount of noise on the Russian side about what an absolute waste of manpower and materiel bakhmut has become.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 5, 2023