Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bergman's films would be so much more powerful if the man had had the good grace to be born in any land but his own. Trying to read an incisive look into the relationship of God and Man is so hampered by the need to inoculate yourself from everyone's constant Herga Berga Sperga language. Why the swedish in general continue to speak in such a parody of linguistic beauty rather than embracing the divine speech of American English is truly confounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Open night mic/improv comedy are just terrible and are only funny when I do them

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Is Imp Zone just FYAD for gaming? I don't really 'get' either of those boards (especially FYAD).

FYAD is the forum for flame wars and gross pictures. Because it’s been around so long, it has a tight-knit high-context posting culture and a pretty specific sense of humor.

Imp Zone is a fyadlite in the sense of few rules and a tight-knit posting culture, but it was made in reaction to perceived issues with Games: people go to Games to bag on games instead of talking about how much they love games. It’s way less exclusive than FYAD, it’s not focused on mean jokes to nearly the same extent, imps frequently say you just have to post with love in your heart to cut it in Imp Zone.

In either case, it’s pretty clear when someone doesn’t fit the vibes and they will enforce this. One outcome of this is that some extremely funny people prefer these spaces, and a lot of good jokes are told.

BYOB is a separate attempt at a rules-light forum which has gone through many iterations. There is a distinctive sense of humor that has evolved but it’s very chat thread heavy and the general assumption is that anyone can contribute. Not everyone loves BYOB but I do so I’ll let a BYOB disliker chime in if they want to.

Ohtori Akio has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Jan 5, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ohtori Akio posted:

One outcome of this is that some extremely funny people prefer these spaces, and a lot of good jokes are told.

This very much has not been the case whenever I browse FYAD or Imp Zone. FYAD’s sense of humor is often impenetrable and Imp Zone is kind of full of jerks

thetoughestbean has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Jan 5, 2023

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I can't tell the difference between good FYAD posts and bad FYAD posts. It's like house music.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
To me it's you grey forum people who are impenetrable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Those subforums always seemed like the competitive play/ranked match version of the posting. I can read it, I appreciate it, but I'm a casual poster

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

byob is a grey forum

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nameless Pete posted:

I can't tell the difference between good FYAD posts and bad FYAD posts. It's like house music.

FYAD is a little strange to browse because it is a small group of friends posting on a public forum.

Their jokes about nerds/goons are pretty funny though. They do a good job lampooning the obnoxious aspects of Goon Culture.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rick posted:

To me it's you grey forum people who are impenetrable.

whatever, Rick

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I thought FYAD was the forum that still thought slurs were the height of comedy, but after the gigantic blowup I was too scared to ask.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Grown rear end people doing posting cliques on an ancient message board exclusively for olds is one of the top ten dorkiest goddamn things in the world

Like take the worst self-diagnoser tumblr crew and double that, then double it again

That is the dork level we are talking here

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
grown rear end people harshly judging others for what they do in their free time is pretty dorky imo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Counterpoint:

It's cool actually :cheers:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Captain Monkey posted:

grown rear end people harshly judging others for what they do in their free time is pretty dorky imo

would you rather i judged children instead? ok I heard from some mothers I work with today that a child at one of their daughters schools identifies as a cat and won't go into the school because they don't provide a litterbox, another parent keeps their children wearing nappies because they actually get more money from the government the longer a child wears them and yet another child has zero interest in doing any school work and can just at any point say they feel overwhelmed and get up and leave the classroom

all this sounds insane to me so i'd much rather make fun of a 40 year old with an anime avatar

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
no that's.. no that's not at all what i said man

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It was right there

You said children deserve to be humiliated and every boomer rumor about them is true, it's like three posts up

Also what did you do to get that av/text anyway

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

It was right there

You said children deserve to be humiliated and every boomer rumor about them is true, it's like three posts up

Also what did you do to get that av/text anyway

forums poster D-Pad bragged about haranguing and verbally bullying his wife, who was worried about their financial situation, into letting him buy guns to shoot 'looters' that might come after their home generator during the Texas freeze in the Texpol D&D thread and I made fun of them for it and they blew a lid then pretended they were just having a laugh about it later when someone else bought them an av about it. I made fun of them about it again about a month ago when he was gettin spicy at someone, and this appeared a day later.

It makes me laugh because all I do is post pro-communism, anti-chud poo poo. so I just left it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Captain Monkey posted:

forums poster D-Pad bragged about haranguing and verbally bullying his wife, who was worried about their financial situation, into letting him buy guns to shoot 'looters' that might come after their home generator during the Texas freeze in the Texpol D&D thread and I made fun of them for it and they blew a lid then pretended they were just having a laugh about it later when someone else bought them an av about it. I made fun of them about it again about a month ago when he was gettin spicy at someone, and this appeared a day later.

It makes me laugh because all I do is post pro-communism, anti-chud poo poo. so I just left it.

A lot of words when the simpler quicker explanation is you voted for Trump. Avatar pics/texts don’t lie

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Byzantine posted:

I thought FYAD was the forum that still thought slurs were the height of comedy, but after the gigantic blowup I was too scared to ask.

The goon fixation on banning rude words is a little out of tune with the rest of the forum. If SA were a place where people primarily talked about performing good works, making the world a better place and positive stuff like that, then I think it would make a little more sense.

But as it stands, SA is very much NOT that place. It’s more than a little hypocritical for a bunch of people who are pretty far from being saints to get sanctimonious about using certain rude words.

Like for example about a year ago, it was en vogue for moderators to punish people for using the word ‘r*tard’. So instead posters insulted each other by calling each other ‘smooth-brained’, which is apparently the politically-correct way of calling someone ‘r*tarded’. I fail to understand the distinction between the two terms, but it apparently is very important to some people.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Pejorative language shifts over time, and recognizing that and changing the way that we speak is part of being a normal adult human being with social skills. This is especially true with terms like 'retard' which were previously clinical (as was the term idiot, mongoloid, moron, imbecile) become pejorative through the process of pejoration.

Recognizing that those terms can cause distress, and asking people to not use them, is normal and good, especially as time moves on and we all age well out of our late teens/early 20's, as was the majority of the forum's population 10+years ago when it was the place you're describing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

The goon fixation on banning rude words is a little out of tune with the rest of the forum. If SA were a place where people primarily talked about performing good works, making the world a better place and positive stuff like that, then I think it would make a little more sense.

But as it stands, SA is very much NOT that place. It’s more than a little hypocritical for a bunch of people who are pretty far from being saints to get sanctimonious about using certain rude words.

Like for example about a year ago, it was en vogue for moderators to punish people for using the word ‘r*tard’. So instead posters insulted each other by calling each other ‘smooth-brained’, which is apparently the politically-correct way of calling someone ‘r*tarded’. I fail to understand the distinction between the two terms, but it apparently is very important to some people.
the people who are obsessed with bad words are probably the same guys who made pyramid head rape jokes 10 years ago

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

the people who are obsessed with bad words are probably the same guys who made pyramid head rape jokes 10 years ago

Who knows what the fad will be 10 years from now? Maybe goons will all turn into Alex Jones-style conspiracy theorists.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Pejorative language shifts over time, and recognizing that and changing the way that we speak is part of being a normal adult human being with social skills. This is especially true with terms like 'retard' which were previously clinical (as was the term idiot, mongoloid, moron, imbecile) become pejorative through the process of pejoration.

Recognizing that those terms can cause distress, and asking people to not use them, is normal and good, especially as time moves on and we all age well out of our late teens/early 20's, as was the majority of the forum's population 10+years ago when it was the place you're describing.
it's not a sign of maturity, rather it's the rigidity and stubbornness of a resentful and aging mind that causes people to want to ban words like oval office or retard

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I think "retard" is a hilarious slur because I've only ever been called that by very small children and Internet trolls who may or may not be very small children.

Still, it's offensive, I don't mind it being banned. Shrug. It doesn't really offend me*, but I can live without it.

*anecdotally, maybe it should offend me, because I have autism and 25 years before I was diagnosed with it, I was weirdly diagnosed with some kind of motor function delay thing to which my mother and the school counselor conveyed to me as explaining I was "A little bit retarded."

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yeah, the ‘euphemism treadmill’ is a normal part of human language, but it is a little silly when goons and moderators in particular get on a high horse about it.

It’s really not very meaningful, but goons act like they are performing a great service for the world when they insult others by using the term ‘smooth-brained’ instead of ‘r*tarded’.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really hate the resurgence of “retard” on SA. It’s a loving lovely thing to call a person and there’s been a number of advocacy groups that say that hey, this is actually a slur for us.

The “it’s just rude words” argument doesn’t hold water either. Were I, say, to call FYAD posters Nazis they would get reasonably upset. Suddenly it’s not just rude words anymore.

The whole argument is just a section of goons demanding that they be able to be as awful people as they can be without any consequences

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think maybe it's a little pushback against pathetic internet hall monitors rather than people deliberately trying to be awful

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is that limited to FYAD? I assume that place is just like a mini 4chan but I've never visited either. I've not seen the R-slur in my casual perusal of the forms very frequently at all :confused:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, the ‘euphemism treadmill’ is a normal part of human language, but it is a little silly when goons and moderators in particular get on a high horse about it.

It’s really not very meaningful, but goons act like they are performing a great service for the world when they insult others by using the term ‘smooth-brained’ instead of ‘r*tarded’.

its because a community of people has made it clear that the word is harmful to them, I've not seen anyone make a huge performative deal out of it except the people super mad about not being able to write their favorite words.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lol who calls people smooth brained

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain Monkey posted:

I've not seen anyone make a huge performative deal out of it except the people super mad about not being able to write their favorite words.

Yeah other than the volunteer e-police officers who punish people whenever they use the wrong words and the contingent of posters who tattle to the e-police whenever they see a bad word, nobody cares.

Do you really believe what you are posting?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It was used on Chapo Trap House a lot in its early days but I haven't seen or heard it in like five years.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It turns up in the politics threads from time to time, most frequently to refer to Donald Trump.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

the style of growing up where you start calling people binch instead of bitch is a great SA tradition for sure

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Yeah other than the volunteer e-police officers who punish people whenever they use the wrong words and the contingent of posters who tattle to the e-police whenever they see a bad word, nobody cares.

Do you really believe what you are posting?

I definitely see a lot more whining about political correctness like you're doing than I do e-policing of the type that you're furious about.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Does "I'm not mad you're mad" actually ever make a person look better

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really like the Bad Words but I don't think moderating around them is especially effective, though it can be funny, such as the time recently that giving someone a sixer for calling Putin a Bad Word resulted in at least one permaban and 120+ people including several moderators getting stealth-probed for the better part of a week.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There aren't nearly enough punctuation marks out there, and the ones we have are overworked

Why do we have only one mark that indicates tone? Kind of hosed up if you ask me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

There aren't nearly enough punctuation marks out there, and the ones we have are overworked

Why do we have only one mark that indicates tone? Kind of hosed up if you ask me

We have more than one!