Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Black Phone is on Amazon. It sucked. For some reason I was under the impression it was one of the better reviewed horror movies from last year.

I also finished the new season of Jack Ryan and enjoyed it a lot. A huge improvement over the previous seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

e; wrong thread

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Moonfall is so loving bad

CameronisGod
Dec 19, 2022

by Pragmatica
I watched RRR, the acting was horrible but the message was great.

I don't understand why the folks in the dancing scene were referencing dances like Swing, Tango, Mambo, Salsa, Etc. when in 1920 none of those dances or even genres of music had been invented yet.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Watched The Menu today and loved it, really enjoyed what felt like nods to The Cook, The Thief etc (particularly that both start with an rear end in a top hat telling the woman he's with to not smoke before dinner). The scene where Tyler cooks the lamb is one of my favorite scenes in any movie in a while (great anxiety nightmare vibes), and the entire movie is full of those fun kinds of scenes. I really appreciate a movie like this where you can tell they're having fun twisting the knife behind the camera, that joy shows onscreen.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

The restaurant folks tracked down evidence of the three dudes stealing money just to make some ominous tortillas. I don't think Nicholas Hoult is going to get an entirely fictitious guest past them.

Considering one woman was killed for having her parents be able to pay for Brown, anyone that dude was actually dating would have been likely to make the cut for execution.

Julian didn't know about the assistant before hand though, he just asked her on the spot, and the three dudes were working for his "angel investor" so not a huge reach to find dirt on them. I think Julian was working under the preconception that absolutely anyone who could afford to be there was wealthy, and they would only invite other entitled people, he would literally invent any justification why they deserve to die. So the individual Tyler invited didn't matter to him at all. It only threw a wrench in his plans when he figured out "Margot" was actually a working class peon instead of a bratty heiress.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I actually liked the ending of 1899, bummed that we're not going to get any more of it.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Tainen posted:

I also finished the new season of Jack Ryan and enjoyed it a lot. A huge improvement over the previous seasons.

I thought it was a whole lot better than the second, although it completely abandons all pretenses of realism with the moderately West-friendly Russian president, everyone always speaking English, and the Czech president not having, like, aides or staff and mostly just hanging out with CIA agents. Jack Ryan, formerly a pencil-pushing analyst, is now a Jason Bourne-level super spy. Doesn't really bother me, though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just finished The Menu and it's one of the worst movies i've seen in a long time. i thought Babylon was a turd but at least it tried to say something earnest about art and creativity where The Menu was basically saying if you like high art (or are rich) then you're a stupid loving idiot and deserve to be burned alive and should feel happy at the privilege to do so

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s not wrong though

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

RCarr posted:

It’s not wrong though

yes it is. a critique of high art and wealth is toothless when it's produced by will ferrel (~150 million net worth) and stars ralph fiennes (nominated for and won a dozen+ prestigious awards)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Almost every opinion you have is so dumb lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

glass onion did the class critique better and was actually good and fun. white lotus season 1 did it better and was actually good and fun. birdman did criticism of critique and pursuit of passionate high art better. tar did it better.

the menu sucked. felt like it was trying to be a bad movie and succeeded amazingly.

e: also, nice ad hominem bullshit comment. i recognize your name from the ps5 thread but literally have no idea what any of your opinions are nor do i give a poo poo lol. thanks for letting me live rent free in your head tho :shrug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ShoogaSlim posted:

glass onion did the class critique better and was actually good and fun. white lotus season 1 did it better and was actually good and fun. birdman did criticism of critique and pursuit of passionate high art better. tar did it better.

the menu sucked. felt like it was trying to be a bad movie and succeeded amazingly.

e: also, nice ad hominem bullshit comment. i recognize your name from the ps5 thread but literally have no idea what any of your opinions are nor do i give a poo poo lol. thanks for letting me live rent free in your head tho :shrug:

You ok?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm also going to say maybe rich people don't have anything interesting to say about class warfare when their criticism of the assistant's character was "didn't have student loans" and "stole a little from her Hollywood actor boss, but he knew and didn't care."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShoogaSlim posted:

just finished The Menu and it's one of the worst movies i've seen in a long time. i thought Babylon was a turd but at least it tried to say something earnest about art and creativity where The Menu was basically saying if you like high art (or are rich) then you're a stupid loving idiot and deserve to be burned alive and should feel happy at the privilege to do so

Lmao

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I ended up giving Inside Job a chance when part 2 came out and ended up kind of liking it.

At first I had no intention since it came hot on heels of conspiracy theorists being viewed in a new light but it was kind of nice to watch an Adult Swim style show that isn't in the 'everything must be like Rick and Morty' that AS has been running under the last few years.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
gently caress the rich, imo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Menu was a good laugh. Mylod is so good at depicting the vacuous lives of the super-rich.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
The Menu was super fun and I laughed out loud several times. Definitely the best episode of Chef's Table.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah watched The Menu last night and it ruled. I thought it was really well shot. Also lol'd at Tyler's Bullshit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

what’s the net worth of the people involved with those movies tho

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

ShoogaSlim posted:

This feels like you read a hot take on twitter instead of actually watching the movie, and are mad at that. Why did you expect it to have an earnest statement about art and creativity in the first place? When the chef decides that the one woman deserves to die because she had no student loans at Brown, your takeaway was "this movie thinks all rich people deserve to die" not "this chef is deranged to a comical degree"?.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also if you think the Menu is only commenting on the rich, I don't think you were paying attention

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the movie’s less interested in materialist analysis than lampooning various aspects of foodie culture/haute cuisine, which is why it directs the most contempt to tyler, a walking wikipedia article who’s only interested in dining for the clout. his wealth is barely mentioned in comparison

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

somehow i knew it was going to end with a cheeseburger even before it foreshadowed that

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

Almost every opinion you have is so dumb lol

Lol yep

The Menu owns, just the story of a chef so disillusioned that the only way out is killing the people who ruined his passion. and also a guy in a movie he didn't care for.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Menu is pretty funny that the reviews are mostly positive, but then every so often someone feels personally attacked by the movie.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I didn't really like it that much, kinda seemed like it would be better as a short than a full feature. was mostly waiting for it to be over instead of enjoying myself

I don't run in rich people circles so I can't speak to how realistically they were portrayed, the characterizations of the rich patrons seemed kind of half assed though. although the kitchen brigade staff taking themselves too seriously definitely rang true for my experiences eating in LA. down to the blue aprons and the haircuts

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Speaking of The Menu, if you liked the movie, I highly suggest reading this article. I would've sworn that the movie was inspired by this article, but the timeline doesn't match up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Speaking of The Menu, if you liked the movie, I highly suggest reading this article. I would've sworn that the movie was inspired by this article, but the timeline doesn't match up.

Oh yeah, that was a great article. The citrus foam that you had to soak out of a plaster mold of the chef's lips is just

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

the movie’s less interested in materialist analysis than lampooning various aspects of foodie culture/haute cuisine, which is why it directs the most contempt to tyler, a walking wikipedia article who’s only interested in dining for the clout. his wealth is barely mentioned in comparison

This for sure. There’s no shortage of social commentary on class, but that isn’t the movies goal really. If anything it’s like a foodie midsommer

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

emily the criminal is hitting all the right notes for me

emily keeps it real yo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Oh god that reminds me of the whole Salmon restaurant scene from Lemony Snicket (this is only a portion of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9OPP-czLyM)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
One of my favorite little moments in The Menu was the critic getting increasingly large portions of that split sauce delivered to her, I loved that kind of menacing, dreamlike escalation.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

ok starting White Noise. ugh I didn't realize it was adam driver. he's starting to turn into an unfunny Steve Coogan. just give me the coogs. give the people what they want

the aesthetic for this movie is cool so far

edit 2, drat I did not recognize don cheadle with that hair lmao, how does he somehow look way too young for an old guy wig. the goatee is ridiculous

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 5, 2023

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's not destined to become an all-timer or anything, but I thought The Menu's sendup of foodie culture and the lionization of celebrity chefs was far more successful than the pat, self-congratulatory lib humor of Glass Onion, and it's a wild leap to assert that the movie is an attack on high art, in general. I was surprised to have enjoyed it so much because the trailer was pretty obnoxious. So much of what I suppose qualifies as "class critique" in Glass Onion is just the corniest twitterfied bullshit. Humor is, of course, subjective.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 5, 2023

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Critiquing a comedy is difficult because there really is no way to argue that something should be funny if it isn't

Like I have a friend who loved Babylon and there's just nothing funny to me about Margot Robbie screaming profanity in the Harley Quinn voice at this point

Of course misunderstanding the satire or whatever shooga was doing is something different entirely lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rental Sting posted:

So much of what I suppose qualifies as "class critique" in Glass Onion is just the corniest twitterfied bullshit. Humor is, of course, subjective.

I mean, some of it was very interesting. You had the ostensibly "green" Dem politician completely in the pocket of the billionaire, but they made her...a beige soccer mom? The MRA guy getting bossed around by his oh-so-smart mother that he lived with...what? I assume Kate Hudson's character was some kind of riff on Gina Carano, but Carano is not working the capitalist hustle last I checked, that's more of a Reese Witherspoon thing, so again it just doesn't map cleanly. Not that it has to, but they're muddling the message. It would be a lot better if they showed that these actor-capitalists are actually quite shrewd about using their celebrity geniality to cover their exploitation, rather than portraying it as simple cluelessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

I'm a sucker for anything set in that era of Hollywood/US history, so I really enjoyed Babylon, flawed as it is. I thought the movie had plenty of situational hilarity, intentional or not, in its many bizarre, over-the-top setpieces, but I can't really recall any funny lines or much of the dialogue, in general. I do remember Robbie declaring that she hated toppings on ice cream because I disagree so much. Her character was like 40% too much.