Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

One thing I'd also add is that when considering the Mutoh retirement tour matches in the last week (the other being the NOAH one, obv.), the 6-man, IMO, was much better than the match with Nakamura. I'm sure the Nakamura v. Muta match is OK in a vacuum, but I felt that it really suffered as a result of its placing on the card, especially since it immediately followed a banger of a match between Kiyomiya and Kenoh. Compared to that, the LIJ v. Mutoh, Tana and Shooter match moved at a brisk pace, didn't expose how immobile Mutoh really is by getting Tana and Shooter do the heavy lifting for their side, and was a perfectly undemanding length.

loving hell.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 5, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JESUS gently caress :gonk:

Skipped ahead and watched the Ospreay-Omega match. It speaks to both of them (Probably more to the former) that an extended part was basically Homer Simpson vs Drederick Tatum and still remains compelling.

Just need to watch the 4 way and the main event.

EDIT: Also, on that Karl Anderson match: Did he gently caress up selling his own finisher? I mean, the match itself was pretty good that aside, but, LOL.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 5, 2023

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

edogawa rando posted:

In addition to that ^, Jay White came back from his excursion in time for Wrestle Kingdom 12 in 2018, where he got beaten by Tanahashi in an IWGP IC Title (RIP) match. 12 months later, at WK13, he beat Okada.

I don't know what the English commentary was talking about, but the Japanese commentary spent a lot of time talking about how Okada just doesn't match up well against Jay White, and how Jay just seems a step ahead of him every time, including how frequently Rainmaker attempts get countered with a Blade Runner. They also made a big point about how Okada had only ever beaten Jay White once before.

I mean...yes, but this is WK. No one, NO ONE thought Okada was losing that match. And unless it's an anointing of a new top guy like say, Cena against JBL, Batista against Trips, or Ibushi when he Did The Thing, theoretically Bryan at Mania 30, etc. I think having a foregone conclusion in the main event of your biggest show of the year is kinda meh. That's just me. This is not me saying they buried Jay or that Okada sucks. It's me saying the build, and therefore the match, held zero drama or intrigue for me and therefore I wasn't really interested or invested in it.

EDIT: I also just personally feel absolutely zero connection to Okada whatsoever. Like I can watch him and say yep that dude is a loving God in wrestling objectively, but I feel absolutely nothing watching him.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 5, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

So are we just using this thread for Dash? Which starts in 19 minutes & is free for everyone to watch, even non-subscribers! on NJPW World

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I thought the story told in the main event was pretty compelling tbh, and the ending made total sense for it. Jay had spent the pandemic mocking the crowd for not cheering, and then continued trying to do that today but it got in his head. Like the commentary said, he wasn’t in control of the situation for once, and he paid the price.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's my first day back at work after the Xmas break and I have dozens of emails to get through. But I'm WFH so does this mean I'm going to slack off and watch New Year's Dash with all of you? Absolutely :hai:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Answers Me posted:

I thought the story told in the main event was pretty compelling tbh, and the ending made total sense for it. Jay had spent the pandemic mocking the crowd for not cheering, and then continued trying to do that today but it got in his head. Like the commentary said, he wasn’t in control of the situation for once, and he paid the price.

Jay mocking the crowd for not being able to cheer was just setting up Okada's powers being boosted by the crowd's noise, it's a clear story of pride coming before a fall

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
I couldn’t watch WK last night because I had to help my Dad with some things, but I’m here for New Year’s Dash

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love the Raw after Wrestlemania

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

had no issue with wk but having to watch a third party stream as world's not workng for me rn

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
Hey look, it’s Honma!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING BROTHER HONMANIA IS RUNNING WILD

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Ren with geezers

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Thauros posted:

had no issue with wk but having to watch a third party stream as world's not workng for me rn

I just connected very early

Oh, good, House of Torture to start us off

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

have to miss dash

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I love this whole mystery card idea. Sometimes you strike gold and get Ren Narita. Sometimes you get the House :geno:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
So mystery card, I'm expecting Shingo/Ospreay and Okada/Omega this show, I better not be dissapointed.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Oh great, HoT

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

algebra testes posted:

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING BROTHER HONMANIA IS RUNNING WILD

That's a Honma who had multiple ****+ matches last year

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Charlton has to be a goon. "The internet is just a series of tubes"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Remember when EVIL was the first person to be eliminated from the Rambo and Chris said 'this guy used to be double IWGP and IC champ'? :laugh:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Commentary having a real AEW Dynamite PnP vibe. They’re enjoying having Gino back

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

SalTheBard posted:

Charlton has to be a goon. "The internet is just a series of tubes"
That became a pretty widespread meme, I've heard it in the wild plenty of times.

Is this a clap crowd, or a cheer crowd that's choosing not to because it's HoT?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bonk posted:

That became a pretty widespread meme, I've heard it in the wild plenty of times.

Is this a clap crowd, or a cheer crowd that's choosing not to because it's HoT?

I think it's a no cheering crowd.

I can't remember if this changed but iirc Ota Ward Gym is owned by the local government and they are less chill with cheering for whatever reason

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Late to Dash, hoping I didn't miss Taichigun

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
“He’s just going to measure his biceps!” I’ve missed Gino so much

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Late to Dash, hoping I didn't miss Taichigun

Ngl the main reason I'm here is to see how the Suzuki-gun lads shake out

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SPEAKING OF HERE'S THE loving KING

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RAD

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Stall_19 posted:

So mystery card, I'm expecting Shingo/Ospreay and Okada/Omega this show, I better not be dissapointed.

Shingo is in the one match announced: the KOPW 4-way with O-Kahn (who hosed off with the physical belt last night), Yano and Sho.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Narita-gun???

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Oh poo poo a new group with Ren, Suzuki and Despy has real potential

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Emergency Suzuki-gun reformation in 3..2..

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
REN JOIN SUSKI GUN!!!!!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
"They're clapping in disgust!" :lmao:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

olk so basically narita's joined Not-Suzukigun

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
This will be a fun trios match

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

“They’re clapping in disgust” :lmao: irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

We're all confused