Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
lmao

e: a snype so bad it's triggering, haw haw.:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

People always dismiss Italy but of the Axis navies imo the Regia Marina put on the best showing and most imperilled the strategic situation. The reason is that the RN was never expected to hold on to the Med while also fighting the IJN and Kriegsmarine. While they suffered setbacks in the North Atlantic and Pacific too, none were as dangerous as in the Med.
Their losses in that theatre bear that out, over a dozen cruisers and two carriers off the top of my head.

In terms of prewar planning it came with the greatest shock too. The Singapore Strategy didn’t hang on the Dutch or the US Asiatic Fleet. Because of British global commitments, in the Med the Marine Nationale that was supposed not only to tip the balance, but do the bulk of the fighting. Just look at their ships built interwar - France and Italy were building against each other. With France out of the war Italy became much, much more dangerous than total numbers suggest since the Royal Navy could barely provide enough ships to keep them at bay, had to pause refits and even repairs, suffered appalling losses to dive and torpedo bombers etc.

Italy siding with Germany ultimately ended up in disaster, but it dramatically shifted the balance as it took France out of the war. Which makes the interwar hypotheticals about Suez and Gibraltar a bit silly since presumably the Marine Nationale is still there to stop them. The Axis campaigns in North Africa aren’t possible if Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia are French. Libya would be rolled up about as quickly as Italian East Africa.

Vincent O’Hara has some fantastic books on this if you’re interested.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This one is hard to track down, but it's an updated law about mandatory military service in Ukraine, because only the russians are reposting it as a "haha look at how bad it's getting over there" and a few specific Ukrainian news sites.

Rough machine translation, so if anyone wants to correct or follow feel free

https://novynarnia.com/2023/01/04/uryad-zatverdyv-poryadok-vzyattya-na-vijskovyj-oblik-shho-novogo/

quote:

The Cabinet of Ministers has approved a new procedure for the organization and maintenance of military registration of conscripts, persons liable for military service and reservists.

Resolution No. 1487 of December 30 was published on the government website.

The changes provide for more serious control over military registration, digitalization of many processes, data exchange between different authorities, registers and employers of people subject to registration.

Separately, the procedure prescribes new rules for registering women.

What is in the order

The military registration of Ukrainians will be carried out through the Unified State Register of Conscripts, Persons Liable for Military Service and Reservists (this register was provided for at the legislative level in 2021).

The register is filled in by authorized persons in the district (city) territorial centers of recruitment and social support (former military registration and enlistment offices), as well as in the relevant departments and units of the Security Service of Ukraine and the Foreign Intelligence Service.

It will be possible to submit information about yourself for the military commissariat through "Diia" on the basis of your place of residence.

If a person subject to military registration has moved to another place of residence, he or she must report it within seven days through the centers for the provision of administrative services or through "Diia". They can also apply directly to the recruitment centers.

The following persons must be registered for military service

- conscripts aged 16 (in the year of reaching the age of 17) to 27 years;

- Persons liable for military service and reservists who have not reached the age limit for being in the reserve;

- women who have a medical or pharmaceutical specialty, as well as, at their own request, women who have a specialty or profession related to the relevant military specialty, the list of which is approved by the Ministry of Defence.

A person liable for military service may be hired for work or study only if there is a confirmation that he is duly registered with the military authorities.

State bodies, local self-government bodies, enterprises, institutions and organizations must control these processes among their employees and provide information about them to the relevant authorities.

Women doctors and pharmacists who have not yet been registered with the military can be employed without mandatory military registration until 2026.

When persons liable for military service reach the age limit for military registration (60 years), they must report to the relevant recruitment center within seven days and be deregistered.

Military registration of Ukrainians abroad will be conducted by diplomatic missions.

Diplomatic missions abroad "facilitate the return of persons liable for military service and reservists to Ukraine in case of mobilization and in wartime (during a special period)".

They will also "facilitate the return" of persons liable for military service to Ukraine during mobilization. If a Ukrainian stays abroad for up to three months, he or she does not have to register for military service abroad.

Ministries and other central executive bodies within six months from the date of entry into force of this resolution must bring their regulations in line with this resolution.

It is not yet known when the procedure of military registration in "Diia" will start working.

It's mainly the last one where Ukrainian consulates are supposed to keep track of everyone national liable for military service living outside the country. Which seems a bit insane, and everyone has their own idea of how it would even work.

My personal guess is that someone might try and roundup a few extra hands hanging around in countries where Ukrainian army is already being trained and just tossing them in there.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say though that while the Regia Marina was a threat, they very clearly needed German support on the ground to make a difference. The Italians weren’t completely toothless (at least on sea) but far from truly independent.

We will see if there is ever a larger mobilization of women, otherwise, the question becomes the through put the Ukrainians can put through Western aligned training programs versus losses.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They can’t really enforce it though. I mean, who knows what they can do in terms of fines or whatever, entering the country, but they can’t arrest you abroad or anything.

e: It’s a good point, mostly because the Italians ran out of fuel very early on and from there were dependant on Germany, even to facilitate oil from Romania, let alone the fields seized in the USSR.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The ukrane should surredner

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

euphronius posted:

is this war even happening anymore ?

maybe. who knows?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

most of the reason we hear about the Italians being poo poo garbage at WW2 is an over reliance on German sources

Rommel was a dumb bitch and wouldn’t have gotten even half as far towards Egypt without Italian infantry doing most of the important work

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I had to watch part of an episode of that SAS commando Netflix show and surprise it's reddit dog poo poo rear end

speng31b
May 8, 2010

paul_soccer12 posted:

I had to watch part of an episode of that SAS commando Netflix show and surprise it's reddit dog poo poo rear end

you had to? sounds like a war crime

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dieselfruit posted:

everyone in this thread is a lib except me, the one true leftist

Thanks to horseshoe theory you've circled around to become the strongest right wing authoritarian by default.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

This one is hard to track down, but it's an updated law about mandatory military service in Ukraine, because only the russians are reposting it as a "haha look at how bad it's getting over there" and a few specific Ukrainian news sites.

Rough machine translation, so if anyone wants to correct or follow feel free

https://novynarnia.com/2023/01/04/uryad-zatverdyv-poryadok-vzyattya-na-vijskovyj-oblik-shho-novogo/

It's mainly the last one where Ukrainian consulates are supposed to keep track of everyone national liable for military service living outside the country. Which seems a bit insane, and everyone has their own idea of how it would even work.

My personal guess is that someone might try and roundup a few extra hands hanging around in countries where Ukrainian army is already being trained and just tossing them in there.

Things are going so well they want to press into service anyone overseas they can track down.

How long before the overseas consulate staff get their own "you're up, here's a pair of boots and a plane ticket".

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Endman posted:

most of the reason we hear about the Italians being poo poo garbage at WW2 is an over reliance on German sources

Rommel was a dumb bitch and wouldn’t have gotten even half as far towards Egypt without Italian infantry doing most of the important work

Rommel's entire reputation rests on British propaganda drumming him up as a worthy opponent. The Americans latched onto this as well, though I think it was mostly because of a popular '50s movie.

If you look at his actual record in North Africa, his two great victories involve surprising a heavily outnumbered British garrison force (Sonnenblume), and a scuffed offensive that the Brits heroically threw (Gazala). Apart from that, he accomplishes very little. Even when he surprised green American troops in Tunisia, he actually got his rear end beat by rear echelon artillery. Though tbf, that was a common fate for armoured offensives across the war.

The Italians genuinely did not perform very well in WWII, but like a lot of things about that war it had less to do with racial soldiering ability, but more with a lack of industry. Also the fascists had militarized so early that they were sitting on a bunch of state-of-the-art '20s equipment and production lines, and couldn't adapt in time to hastily join WWII.

When the Brits captured a whole Italian Army in Libya, it was because that army was mostly WWI-style infantry divisions. This was standard across Europe, except for the Brits, who had a relatively smaller army that they equipped with a whole suite of motorized equipment (Most of it was lost at Dunkirk and had to be replaced with American gear but that's a different story). In Libya, the British drove right along the coastal highway, smacked the few Italian armoured units around, and seized the ports. All the Italian infantry in the desert literally couldn't walk fast enough to recapture their supply lines, and elected to surrender instead of die of dehydration. Rommel escaped this fate by simply not having horse-bound infantry with him.

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 07:36 on Jan 5, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Rommel's entire reputation rests on British propaganda drumming him up as a worthy opponent. The Americans latched onto this as well, though I think it was mostly because of a popular '50s movie.

why are you dragging a ukranian national hero through the mud?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
as we have learned, mud is the natural habitat of the ukrainian

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

people often forget, rommel was the first to deploy tanks in the desert and in the mud, he was a tragic figure trapped between two worlds.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Rommel managed to weasel out of serving on the eastern front, which was kinda smart

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In the end, Rommel was still probably an above average officer, it is just that he was boosted out of all proportion by the British press for pretty predictable reasons.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Nah, serving on the Eastern front was easy for generals. Guderian went, failed miserably, got fired (in 1941!!!), and later convinced the Americans that he invented armoured warfare

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm acquaintances with two people who are literally/specifically named "Erwin Rommel [lastname]"

it wasn't just his exploits in North Africa as exaggerated by the British, but also the fact that he was implicated in the July plot and offed himself, thereby giving people the handy-dandy excuse that he was a reluctant Nazi, or not even all much of a fascist at all, really

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
there are so many 40ish filipinos named rommel its insane lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

btw Eva Bartlett talks to Donbas residents like daily and posts about it online for all to see

i found another dude through her who ferries supplies into the Donbass for civilians from Russia.

he just did a video where they are apparently interviewing people who were in that Mariupol theatre. haven't watched the whole thing tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKlgBw8mQhs

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

a Nazi so reluctant he was commander of Hitler’s bodyguard before the war

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

a Nazi so reluctant he was commander of Hitler’s bodyguard before the war

(sitcom intro music)

(Gets home, hangs up big woolen greatcoat, frisbee throws peaked cap with questionable imagery on hanger)

"Honey you won't BELIEVE what my boss told me to do today"

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

it's true

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/vkgMzjH.mp4

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm acquaintances with two people who are literally/specifically named "Erwin Rommel [lastname]"

it wasn't just his exploits in North Africa as exaggerated by the British, but also the fact that he was implicated in the July plot and offed himself, thereby giving people the handy-dandy excuse that he was a reluctant Nazi, or not even all much of a fascist at all, really

I mean it's not as bad as naming your kid Douglas but why would anyone in PH specifically like that guy

I guess they like tanks?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

I mean it's not as bad as naming your kid Douglas but why would anyone in PH specifically like that guy

I guess they like tanks?

as I alluded to, it's probably dads who were really into WW2 pop history in the 70s and 80s and thought it was a cool name

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

paul_soccer12 posted:

The ukrane should surredner

that’s right

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

Reject Zizek, embrace Michael Kirkbride. Read the 36 sermons of Vivec and meditate on them.

How soon until the US sends Numidiums to Ukraine?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

How soon until the US sends Numidiums to Ukraine?

:gb2gbs:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

italians were fascist like this, and germans are fascist like this

🙄

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bengali famine survivor explaining how Italian fascism is different from British fascism.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's such a weird talking point because there's no loving way zizek doesn't know what italy was doing in the slav parts of their country they secured in ww1 lmao

trieste and gorizia are to this day fash as all gently caress because fascists intentionally settled the biggest assholes they could there, to try and replace or drive away the slav majority, and that poo poo happened in the 20s. implying italian fascism wasn't expansionist from the start is just straight up false

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1611026805867134978?s=20

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

lol

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/terrelljstarr/status/1611025921762361346

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
slavic karens...different from the germanic ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

russians are all karens and dont even get me fuckin started on the chuvash