Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That twist in Dark Knights of Steel was amazing. I wish Tom Taylor nothing but happiness and fortune. And I wish this could be an ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It rules and I've enjoyed every entry.

The vampire one on the other hand kinda ended on a wet fart. It started strong too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azubah posted:

The vampire one on the other hand kinda ended on a wet fart. It started strong too.

Yeah, I was along for the ride until the last few issues.

Dark Knights is amazing, though. Tom Taylor remains AU king.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I was so bummed about the ending to DC vs Vampires. It's very not good but I was so on board with the rest.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I was so bummed about the ending to DC vs Vampires. It's very not good but I was so on board with the rest.
Man it's too bad they couldn't like taint a bunch of blood in Kansas with Harley's super blood, infuse that super blood into people, have Swamp Thing or Ivy create plants that carry that blood and release it as a gas or literally anything else interesting

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
People are getting real mad about a backup story in the current Joker mini, because people are dumb. That’s all.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Did anyone else’s LCS just not get the new Batman issue this week?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

People are getting real mad about a backup story in the current Joker mini, because people are dumb. That’s all.

What's the scoop?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Dawgstar posted:

What's the scoop?

So in the backup which is some weird joke story joker gets pregnant and has some kinda clayface baby that turns into a mini joker and people are mad at that nonsense because trans people or something.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
What the gently caress.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

What the gently caress.

I took a look at the pages and he wasn't pregnant. He barfed up the clayface looking thing, he'd swallowed it somehow after a fight with Zatanna. so people are mad about something that didn't even happen. Surprise! Comics "fans" are the worst.

The story is weird, I don't know if it's good, but it certainly isn't what the chuds are saying it is.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok that is much less weird.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Man it's too bad they couldn't like taint a bunch of blood in Kansas with Harley's super blood, infuse that super blood into people, have Swamp Thing or Ivy create plants that carry that blood and release it as a gas or literally anything else interesting

There's a side story that's looking in on Poison Ivy. She gets vamped because she's still part human and ends up becoming this part plant/part vampire thing

At this point, I'd rather they swerve into the gonzo and have the other vampire Earth drop in on this one and just go ham.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Speaking of twists, the ending of World's Finest #10 was :discourse:

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I got the Mark Waid Flash Omnibus v1 as a gift for Christmas, and I thought I'd read the post crisis Flash volume on DCUI up to when he takes over.

These Flash stories are like a fever dream. Absolutely batshit mental.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

frameset posted:

I got the Mark Waid Flash Omnibus v1 as a gift for Christmas, and I thought I'd read the post crisis Flash volume on DCUI up to when he takes over.

These Flash stories are like a fever dream. Absolutely batshit mental.

Yeah I read the first couple years of post Crisis Flash last year and they’re….real weird

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's Black Canary up to these days?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah I read the first couple years of post Crisis Flash last year and they’re….real weird

Was this the era were Wally was like “gently caress everyone else I need to be paid!” Or is that a fever dream I’m having?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

What's Black Canary up to these days?

I think the latest plot point is she's looking for green arrow after dark crisis.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Nystral posted:

Was this the era were Wally was like “gently caress everyone else I need to be paid!” Or is that a fever dream I’m having?

Arc 1, he wins the lottery and meets Vandal Savage. Then he meets two different trios of Soviet Speedsters, one set of whom defect.

Then he meets an AI that tries to kill him on a military base. He shacks up with an older married lady scientist (she's 32, he's 20, how scandalous!). The woman moves in with him in his huge mansion, as does his Mum because his dad turned out to be a Manhunter sleeper agent during the Millennium event.

Her jealous husband takes a gently caress tonne of steroids and drugs to make himself into a speedster called Speed Demon and he fights the Flash.

Then Vandal Savage starts selling an addictive drug that makes you a speedster. Around this time the lady scientist and Flash break up, but her, the husband, and him all stay friends.

Then he meets a 515 lb black fella called The Chunk who has a black hole in him that he can use to transport people to a pocket mad max dimension. He convinces him to become a hero and Chunk uses his powers to make money by teleporting waste to the pocket dimension.

At some point around this his mum loses all the lottery money on the stock market and he gets kicked out of his mansion, which Chunk then buys. His mum then becomes Chunks secretary and Chunk's freeloading family move in to the mansion.

The Flash has some kind of breakdown and runs far without saying where and goes missing presumed dead. The gang go looking for him in a small West Coast town where a cryptid called the Porcupine Man is harassing the locals. Turns out that's the Flash full of cactus needles.

During all this The Flash is shagging about seven different women, a lot of whom are models. Oh I also forgot the annual where he meets a fella in the back of a Chinese restaurant and goes to China and helps a guy out and learns a deadly technique. The Chinese guy's sister also fucks the Flash.

And that's where I'm up to. About twenty more issues till Waid takes over I think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

frameset posted:

And that's where I'm up to. About twenty more issues till Waid takes over I think.

Ah, THAT's where Wally the ladies' man comes from that would get referenced a lot but never shown after. I never read any of the Messner-Loebs stuff but that does check out. He also cut off Diana from her support structure and she had to work at Big Belly Burger or O'Shaughnessy's or Wacky Taco whatever DC fast food chain it was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

frameset posted:

Arc 1, he wins the lottery and meets Vandal Savage. Then he meets two different trios of Soviet Speedsters, one set of whom defect.

Then he meets an AI that tries to kill him on a military base. He shacks up with an older married lady scientist (she's 32, he's 20, how scandalous!). The woman moves in with him in his huge mansion, as does his Mum because his dad turned out to be a Manhunter sleeper agent during the Millennium event.

Her jealous husband takes a gently caress tonne of steroids and drugs to make himself into a speedster called Speed Demon and he fights the Flash.

Then Vandal Savage starts selling an addictive drug that makes you a speedster. Around this time the lady scientist and Flash break up, but her, the husband, and him all stay friends.

Then he meets a 515 lb black fella called The Chunk who has a black hole in him that he can use to transport people to a pocket mad max dimension. He convinces him to become a hero and Chunk uses his powers to make money by teleporting waste to the pocket dimension.

At some point around this his mum loses all the lottery money on the stock market and he gets kicked out of his mansion, which Chunk then buys. His mum then becomes Chunks secretary and Chunk's freeloading family move in to the mansion.

The Flash has some kind of breakdown and runs far without saying where and goes missing presumed dead. The gang go looking for him in a small West Coast town where a cryptid called the Porcupine Man is harassing the locals. Turns out that's the Flash full of cactus needles.

During all this The Flash is shagging about seven different women, a lot of whom are models. Oh I also forgot the annual where he meets a fella in the back of a Chinese restaurant and goes to China and helps a guy out and learns a deadly technique. The Chinese guy's sister also fucks the Flash.

When I was a kid picking up random issues of random comics at the local magazine/news store I picked up some of these issues of Flash not really knowing anything. Your description has given me very vivid flashbacks.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

It's wild how all over the place it is. When you compare it to say post crisis wonder woman or superman, where they had clear long running plans between Byrne and Perez on where to go for at least a few arcs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Flash seems to have a long term plan but it mostly involves getting laid

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had forgotten all about Chunk. Apparently at some point Flash just abandoned him in the jungle. Dear God, Wally.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Flash seems to have a long term plan but it mostly involves getting laid
Putting the speed in speedster

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I had forgotten all about Chunk. Apparently at some point Flash just abandoned him in the jungle. Dear God, Wally.

Oh I forgot about that. In one of the crossover events he's in Cuba with the Chunk and Fidel Castro, but he ditches Chunk to go to a state sponsored 21st birthday party with Fidel.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

All that AND HD TV?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
William Messner-Loebs invented Linda Park and the modern iteration of Pied Piper so I will hear no naysaying about him. Fast Friends and Nobody dies are some of the best single flash issues ever.

Also the random Rogues party Wally crashed issue was great.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 7, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just read the Flash annual from last year all about Linda's hilarious self-insert Flash fanfiction and it's great. Wally is at his best when he's either/and running fast or loving Linda. (And now his kids.)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Stupid question: are there any prominent sports teams in the DCU? I know Gotham Knights is a baseball team.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Stupid question: are there any prominent sports teams in the DCU? I know Gotham Knights is a baseball team.

According to the wiki:

Baseball:
Gotham Knights
Metropolis Meteors
Blüdhaven Bloodhounds
Star City Rockets
Coast City Angels
Central City Stars
Gotham City Eagles

Basketball:
Gotham Guardsmen
Gotham Knights
Metropolis Generals
Gotham Gators
Metropolis Monarchs
Gotham Goliaths
Metropolis Spartans
Coast City Clippers
*So either the Knights have had a lot of name changes, people just forgot or Gotham is big enough for a couple teams.

Football:
Gotham Rogues (Dark Knight Rises)
Gotham Knights (It feels like Knights are actually supposed to be the football team, but who knows)
Rapid City Monuments
Gotham Goliaths
Metropolis Meteors
Smallville Crows (High School team)
Boston Colonials
Gotham City Wildcats

Hockey:
Opal City Corsairs
Metropolis Mammoths
Gotham Goliaths
Star City Stars

Also in the interests of edification the St. Louis Cardinals and New Jersey Devils were listed, but they're actual teams.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Gotham Knights are a team of multi-sport savants, and compete in every league.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

The Gotham Knights are a team of multi-sport savants, and compete in every league.

Just a whole bunch of Bo Jacksons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Appropriately for the team where Batman is based, they too have trained for years to be the best in every discipline.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for :)

Unrelated, but how is Blüdhaven actually pronounced. This has never bothered me until now, looking at that list. Is it supposed to sound like Bloodhaven somehow?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for :)

Unrelated, but how is Blüdhaven actually pronounced. This has never bothered me until now, looking at that list. Is it supposed to sound like Bloodhaven somehow?

According to Dan Jurgens via Nightwing it's 'Bleud-Haven.'

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

The Chicago Cubs exist in the DCU because Guy Gardner once took Ice on a date to Wrigley Field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always thought I nice idea for a one and done story would have Wally come to Gotham to watch his Central City baseball team play....I guess the Knights....and during the game a heist occurs and him and Bats have to team up to solve it in the stadium. More sport related hijinx take place.