Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If they wanted to speed up the votes, I assume they could just use the electronic system they typically use and that they used for the recess vote yesterday.

Doesn’t really accomplish much, the second two votes yesterday were pointless regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It will be very funny if McCarthy hollows out the speakership but still can't attain it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The point of a majority vote is that it shows you have control over the house and can be an effective leader. If you switch to plurality then you don’t really control the house, you’re just the least bad guy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The voting box only says "yea/ney/present" on it, and I think the roll call thing is done on specific precedent

If you're curious it looks like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, good point and makes a lot of sense.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Could they get a procedural ruling from the clerk to attempt to switch the vote to some kind of Ranked Voting with Instant Runoff? That might still not get to 218 but might speed up the process.

Nope. While the voting rules can be changed, doing so requires a majority vote of the House. And given that more than half the House is interested in keeping the current clusterfuck going for a while yet, we can expect any voting rule change proposals to be dead in the water.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

It's a little of each, I think.

The Gingrich mantra, the driving force of modern cutthroat Republicanism, is to pick out the fattest target and attack, attack, attack, attack, attack until it falls over, then retarget and repeat. That's what the Grunty Twenty are doing here; they can attempt to gain materially by impeding McCarthy, so they're going to do that until they're losing more than they're gaining. If they feel like they can gain materially by doing the same to Scalise, Scalise won't get through, either.

The Chip Roy types want to break the process. They want to reconfigure things so that it's no longer even _possible_ to do anything productive, and to wedge the Paul Gosars of the world into procedures and necessities to make sure of that. The Gaetz types, on the other hand, want a big-name scalp with which to build their personal brand. "I am a better conservative warrior than anyone else. I led the charge to slay a huge swamp monster."

McCarthy is a potent symbol; he's a prime target because C-list talk radio and such howl about the Uniparty and hardline tactics and how America would be 120% hardcore conservative rule right now if leadership would just follow their batshit orders. It doesn't matter whether what the QAnoners want is even remotely viable; status quo isn't that, so status quo is their enemy, even if they're actually far better off under that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at BBC radio, letting some regressive POS say that the GOP is a big tent party and is trying to compromise and please all its peeps, but The Dems caved to Da Extreme Left.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What time does Kevin's broadcasted humiliation fetish start?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Randalor posted:

So that would be 212 votes for Jeffries, followed by 212 votes for "Deez Nutz", then 201 votes for McCarthy? I'm fine with that.

Deez Nutz lost their primary in 2016, did they somehow make a CUMback?

https://wjla.com/news/election/vote-2016-remembers-deez-nuts-failed-independent-candidate-for-president

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, it's cool, you don't need to be an elected official to be speaker. Even though Mr Nutz lost their presidential bid, they can still hold office, even if it's just "Official Rubber of Salt in McCarthy's wounds".

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Push El Burrito posted:

Noon Eastern, apparently. Glad I'm on Pacific time so it feels like it gets started early for me.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 5, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Push El Burrito posted:

Noon Eastern.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The voting box only says "yea/ney/present" on it, and I think the roll call thing is done on specific precedent

I know its a sign of a broken system (or optimistically an obscure gov tech or accessibility requirement) that its not more modern but I do love those chunky buttons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZeusCannon posted:

I know its a sign of a broken system (or optimistically an obscure gov tech or accessibility requirement) that its not more modern but I do love those chunky buttons.

they actually just replaced them this year but they look exactly the same, i think the only difference is that they added braille under the buttons, and changed out the internals

i mean it's a voting box, i'm not sure what it needs to be except a box with buttons on it (and a keycard slot to validate who's voting)

nerox
May 20, 2001
When the average age is about 60, you gotta keep it low tech so they know how to use it.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they actually just replaced them this year but they look exactly the same, i think the only difference is that they added braille under the buttons, and changed out the internals

i mean it's a voting box, i'm not sure what it needs to be except a box with buttons on it (and a keycard slot to validate who's voting)

I do love the chonky buttons, but I feel like it could have a few toggle and rocker switches on it to really class it up. Maybe a key switch with a big "ARM" written in red above it.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
Low tech also means it's more reliable and less of a security issue. I'd be terrified if these were in any way network-connected.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Centurium posted:

I do love the chonky buttons, but I feel like it could have a few toggle and rocker switches on it to really class it up. Maybe a key switch with a big "ARM" written in red above it.

the ones texas uses.... now thats the good poo poo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you press OPEN it pops open a cupholder and tray for you to put your snacks on.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

mashing the p in v button so hard it breaks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
apparently the European Parliament ones actually let members vote on multiple choice elections which would be useful if we want to break the record on house speaker elections

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You could do a 1 minute period for representatives to cast a “yea” vote for each nominated candidate, with special snowflake voters going up and giving their vote to the clerk.

It’s not a technology problem, it’s just that some folks confuse the ceremony with the actual political maneuvering and nobody else cares enough to fight them on it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
If I recall, the House doesn't have assigned seating like the Senate, so that makes me wonder how they account for people moving. Is there someone who has to track who's in a seat at a given time?

If so, it's a drat shame only one of the Castro twins was ever in the House.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
At any given time, they had to figure in "Louie Gohmert or Paul Gosar may need to use this" and simplify the interface accordingly.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Killer robot posted:

If I recall, the House doesn't have assigned seating like the Senate, so that makes me wonder how they account for people moving. Is there someone who has to track who's in a seat at a given time?

If so, it's a drat shame only one of the Castro twins was ever in the House.

You can see a slot for a key card.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Centurium posted:

It definitely could use a flip-up cover somewhere.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Morrow posted:

You can see a slot for a key card.

Oh, I missed that. Good point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Baronash posted:

You could do a 1 minute period for representatives to cast a “yea” vote for each nominated candidate, with special snowflake voters going up and giving their vote to the clerk.

It’s not a technology problem, it’s just that some folks confuse the ceremony with the actual political maneuvering and nobody else cares enough to fight them on it.

you theoretically could, but you would have to get the house to agree on that procedure

this is one of those areas in government where in the absence of constitutional law, practice is based on precedent and tradition, and "votes for Speaker are based on roll-call vote" has been in place for over a century

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you theoretically could, but you would have to get the house to agree on that procedure

this is one of those areas in government where in the absence of constitutional law, practice is based on precedent and tradition, and "votes for Speaker are based on roll-call vote" has been in place for over a century

Hence the second sentence.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
authority and legitimacy of the rules kind of have to come from somewhere and precedent/tradition is a pretty common place for it to come from

it's more common in countries without written constitutions but there are a lot of like, "low-level" government functions which are more conventional practices than actual written laws

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1611021780579221505
mods???

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The keyhole is what sells this one. You know that every member has a key and if they all use them at the same time they arm the Texas Defense System (giant robot cowboy?)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Moderate Republican: "So we have two options. We can go to the democrats, and make a few small concessions to get you a handful of votes to win. Or we can castrate you, shove your balls down your throat and let you choke to death just before we burn down the building to get the freedom caucus on your side."
McCarthy: "When you put it like that, there's only one choice!"
Moderate Republican: "I have the knife and gasoline right here. I just need you to drop your pants."

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Baronash posted:

Galaxy brain: assign each member of the house a morse code sequence to enter using yea-nay button presses.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

Youremother posted:

The keyhole is what sells this one. You know that every member has a key and if they all use them at the same time they arm the Texas Defense System (giant robot cowboy?)

they leave the key in and other reps vote for them; or they change their vote in the record

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i guess the question is exactly how much McCarthy would have to give up before the moderates decide they've had enough

i definitely have full faith that the moderate wing of the Republican Party will stand up to the far right wing here

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Randalor posted:

Moderate Republican: "So we have two options. We can go to the democrats, and make a few small concessions to get you a handful of votes to win. Or we can castrate you, shove your balls down your throat and let you choke to death just before we burn down the building to get the freedom caucus on your side."
McCarthy: "When you put it like that, there's only one choice!"
Moderate Republican: "I have the knife and gasoline right here. I just need you to drop your pants."

If I’m the democrats, I’d set up camp and keep voting for Jeffries the entire time because I know that any offer coming from the republicans is not going to be upheld.

There really should just be an option of “we’re always going to vote for this guy, so no matter what the vote is just put us down for that” so the democrats don’t have to hang around.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i guess the question is exactly how much McCarthy would have to give up before the moderates decide they've had enough

i definitely have full faith that the moderate wing of the Republican Party will stand up to the far right wing here

Moderate Republicans are the only people more cowardly than moderate Democrats

day 3 fun time begins!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5dLUd7rUpk

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
let's see if Cloud omnislashes McCarthy again