Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FAUXTON posted:

show that snake this snake which has been stuck in Ohio for a long time

that's a septic tank leak

much like google heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jokes posted:

that's a septic tank leak

much like google heh

yeah but I already said it's in Ohio

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Trying GFN at the moment and if I have to relogin from inside GFN (including 2FA) into Uplay or Epic using a gamepad once more I'm going to blow a gasket. The gently caress is this poo poo.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
GFN comes with a big loving asterisk where you can eventually play your library, but drat, good luck with that!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spatule posted:

Trying GFN at the moment and if I have to relogin from inside GFN (including 2FA) into Uplay or Epic using a gamepad once more I'm going to blow a gasket. The gently caress is this poo poo.

So this is an epic problem and imo it’s a big one. I have a dedicated windows handheld that runs windows and no poo poo I have to log into the epic store nearly every time I load the fuckin thing up from a fresh boot on my hotspot.

Like I have 2FA on just stay the gently caress logged in!

Epic also logs me out on my desktop machine on the regular too. It’s annoying as piss.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Future of Games: Will the end of Stadia stall development of next-level games? posted:

Disclaimer: I am not a gaming expert nor working in the industry. This post reflects my personal opinion and observations.

Stadia's vision was bold and going beyond simply streaming and running games on machines in the cloud. The idea of games being able to deliver greater experiences than possible on limited hardware in consoles or PCs was seeing a first attempt of implementation.

Imagine games which are not bound to local hardware, but essentially run on super clusters with specialized hardware for graphical output, machine learning algorithms, and more. As long as the network/internet can deliver an HD stream (audio & video) and transmits inputs quickly, this vision would well be possible today.

Alone running on a centralized infrastructure gave new opportunities with features such as State Share, Stream Connect, Party Streams, Crowd Play, or Switch Screen. But also allows for more automation in game testing where launching a version of a game is just a click. But also automation of game testing with AI-based agents playing through a game and exploring it in search for bugs or dead ends in a story.

Despite an inspiring vision and an impressive technical solution, Stadia could never harvest the fruits of its labour. The possibilities were great, but the experience never caught up and underdelivered, as apparently did the adoption rate. The lack of such a proof of its USP is imho the reason for a quick transition into the trough of disillusionment along the hype cycle. At least that could be an explanation for the "disappointing" growth rate measured by Google standards.

Yet, no other player (afaik) has stated any similar vision or shown proof that technological advancement for games is ahead. All game platforms seem to restricting themselves to either running games on cloud or traditional (edge) infrastructure (i.e. PCs, consoles) with nothing but evolutionary hardware specs upgrades in sight. And looking at Moore's law, the future is not very promising (transistor scaling reached max, back to research) if not for novel specialized hardware changing the game.

Did Stadia not motivate others to take up the vision of going beyond a single machine (PC, console, cloud)? Are we seeing a discouragement to go bold in game development by thinking outside the (hardware specs) box?
Will I ever play a game experience really blowing my mind in beauty, vastness and interactions with AIs any time soon? Or will it just be the repetitive and boring evolution of past console/PC games going forward?
Will new game experiences at some point still be possible without centralized super computers or will game experiences simply become repetitive (similar games with different themes)? Will any other development, e.g. hardware (accelerators, VR, AR), game styles, inputs/controllers, bring new experiences in the foreseeable future?

tl;dr I fear the discontinuation of Stadia stalls bold game development going beyond usual hardware specs. Will I be able to play new game experiences anytime soon?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't believe Stadia has died, ending all future development and innovation for videogames forever :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah yes, we're in an age when the most popular games are no longer the most graphically intensive, as kids love Fortnite, Minecraft, and indie games, but sure, pushing graphical fidelity further and further is clearly the correct decision. Can't wait to see those incredible games that "blow my mind in beauty, vastness and interactions with AIs" after multiple years of pointless developer crunch and burning millions of dollars, ala Star Citizen!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stadia was a cool concept... I was excited for a lot of the promises that well... Got googled.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

tater_salad posted:

Stadia was a cool concept... I was excited for a lot of the promises that well... Got googled.

Yeah, I was very interested and preordered the Founder whatitwas, but cancelled a few days before launch when I caught up with the launch lineup in particular and business model in general. Given Google's resources and being a new player in the (serious) gaming scene, it seemed really unfathomable that they had no apparent killer apps ready on launch day.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Mirificus posted:

As long as the network/internet can deliver an HD stream (audio & video) and transmits inputs quickly, this vision would well be possible today.

This statement is doing a lot of work

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Isn't it still up for another 2 weeks?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If Google would actually commit to stuff they might make something people want to use. Nobody bought into Stadia cause everyone knew they’d just abandon it. That and you had to actually buy the games lol.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Don’t forget they wanted devs to port their game to a specific flavour of Lunix in an industry where being mildly more aggravating to work on than your competitors is instant death.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The one thing that stadia did get right was the one click it took to get into a game. It was simple and it just worked.

Gamepass pretty much does that now but GFN still has a ways to go.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah my biggest gripe about GFN is that I have to keep logging in to steam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Invalid Validation posted:

If Google would actually commit to stuff they might make something people want to use. Nobody bought into Stadia cause everyone knew they’d just abandon it. That and you had to actually buy the games lol.

Nah, they hosed themselves from the get-go by needing devs to build specifically for Stadia's flavvour of Linux. GFN and the like (at least to my knowledge) do not have that problem.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, they hosed themselves from the get-go by needing devs to build specifically for Stadia's flavvour of Linux. GFN and the like (at least to my knowledge) do not have that problem.

That and forcing people to buy full price games instead of being the "Netflix of games" everyone expected it to be. The business model was always the problem with Staida, not the technology (although the idea of making 4K a selling point when it's neutered by steaming compression didn't help).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

neutered by steaming compression

I got a steaming compression for you right here

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That and forcing people to buy full price games instead of being the "Netflix of games" everyone expected it to be. The business model was always the problem with Staida, not the technology (although the idea of making 4K a selling point when it's neutered by steaming compression didn't help).

The technology is a problem once you promise people "negative latency".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bronze Fonz posted:

The technology is a problem once you promise people "negative latency".

No idea how actually true this latency statement is but it’s getting pretty good.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Kinda funny because DLSS 3 is giving you half of that FPS for free but your internet connection sure as poo poo isn’t.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Here's hoping that means the 3080s will get pushed down to the lower tier. There is no way I'm paying €120 every 6 months for RTX on some games.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

No idea how actually true this latency statement is but it’s getting pretty good.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/statu...ingawful.com%2F

That statement doesn't mean poo poo.

I absolutely that you can get less button-to-pixel latency out of GFN... if you are close to a data center running on a computer monitor vs an Xbox running on a slow TV with all the pay processing turned on.

Yeah, if you aren't specifying test conditions and stacking the entire deck in your favor, you can probably get those results.

This is coming from the same company that claimed a 4070Ti is 'up to 3x' the performance of a 3090, when it's actually much closer to 0.95x 'faster' when you run it in a like for like test.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 5, 2023

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Between the constant nested logins, keyboard reverting back to another layout and the lack of support for my PS4 dualshock controller I'm starting to hate GFN with a passion. Stadia was so much easier it's not even funny. gently caress YOU GOOGLE, gently caress YOU.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I've found GFN not nearly as painful with constant log ins, but the saves not transferring on some games is nuts. Metro Last Light was great fun on my tablet, but I wanted to jump back onto my desktop and discovered how buggered I was!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

a slow TV with all the pay processing turned on.
My TV is so old, it doesn't even have slow pay processing.
I'm fine with that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The moment of closure has been declared: January 18th, 11:59pm PT.

If you haven't carted your progress from Stadia over to other versions of any games you might have there, that Verge article summarizes your options, but to summarize them further:

Cyberpunk 2077: Pull 'em out through Google Takeout
Destiny 2: Turn on cross-save before the final moments
Hitman 3: Link to an IOI account in preparation for a progression carryover to any other platform
Elder Scrolls Online: Just download the client for PC and log into your account and carry on.
Ubisoft: Link your accounts before the shutdown to get uPlay versions
This Thread: Probably best to send it off to its final resting place after the final hour.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

The Kins posted:

This Thread: Probably best to send it off to its final resting place after the final hour.

I thank everyone who contributed. It was mostly enjoyable experience similar to watching an illegally built house burn down. It never should have been as it was.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Alhamdulillah

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

The Kins posted:

After we all have had a laugh at the sad sods off the Sub-reddit, then yes, let it rest.

There'll always be another Ouya/Stadia down the line.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Feels like a race between Amazon Luna and GFN, where the former might not get enough AAA games and the latter will keep price gouging and also lose more AAA games.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ahhh memories

March, 2019:

surf rock posted:

Google's absolutely going to abandon this within three years, like always.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Golly, I wonder why Google products have a hard time getting customer buy-in! Oh well, time to abandon yet another project and try again!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Spatule posted:

Between the constant nested logins, keyboard reverting back to another layout and the lack of support for my PS4 dualshock controller I'm starting to hate GFN with a passion. Stadia was so much easier it's not even funny. gently caress YOU GOOGLE, gently caress YOU.

Source your quotes.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i'll remember this thread fondly. stadia, not so much.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i should check when my nda expires if ever but lmao

thanks google! not for stadia though

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Please do... Maybe it expires when stadia closes

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IssNq2TBzfA

Yep. Stadia was a failure right from the start.

Wouldn't call it a tragedy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
A Tragedy for those devs though, imagine being asked to make games and then getting the rug pull because Google didn't understand how games worked.