Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it was just in keeping with her quirky indie movie cottagecore aesthetic. Wearing glasses for purely aesthetic purposes was definitely a thing for a while, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blood Nightmaster posted:

God this was me last summer trying to watch clips from old Elvis movies from around the same time period. He's super rough with basically every love interest but I think it was supposed to come off as "romantic":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnRVEbL4UBg

at 1:35 when he tosses the woman onto the counter and then calls her the most ornery and obstinate thing he's met, then the camera cuts to an old loving man giving him a wink and nod, that was all I needed to see, it's like borderline parody

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Like are you sure this isn't a clip from UHF

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Oh, it sounded “insufferably quirky,” I would have figured it was just A Character Thing.

I’ve never seen the show, all I have to go on is internet snarkiness.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm guessing glasses without lenses are way more common in filmed media than you'd think, as the reflections really can be a pain. I know anti-glare coating is a thing, but it's not that effective.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Nick and Jess will-they-won't-they-now-i-don't-care arc is loving obnoxious

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Winston and Schmidt were pretty funny

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked the show until Megan Fox guest starred on it. I bounced off that storyline hard and haven't been back since.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, a group of pretty drat decent comic actors and their dynamic together... then here's Megan Fox. Look!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's easy to tell the difference between glasses with no lenses, with flat fake lenses and with actual focus-changing lenses by whether they curve objects seen though them and the flat lens kind are even more annoying to me than empty frames. Just a pet peeve.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, a group of pretty drat decent comic actors and their dynamic together... then here's Megan Fox. Look!

I have no idea whether Megan Fox has comedy chops or not because the show just immediately descends into the dumbest, most cliched tropes possible. Attractive woman is aloof and disinterested! The men all become stupid, sex-crazed, hyper competitive imbeciles over her! She might be hilarious, but the script didn’t do anyone any favours.

I’d say it aged poorly, except that it felt super dated even at the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Phylodox posted:

I have no idea whether Megan Fox has comedy chops or not because the show just immediately descends into the dumbest, most cliched tropes possible. Attractive woman is aloof and disinterested! The men all become stupid, sex-crazed, hyper competitive imbeciles over her! She might be hilarious, but the script didn’t do anyone any favours.

I’d say it aged poorly, except that it felt super dated even at the time.

I thought she was fun in Jennifer's Body. When given actual material to work with she's not bad.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’ve been listening to the New Girl podcast and Deschanel talks about how weird it was that her glasses didn’t have lenses because she’s used to them IRL. It’s definitely just a filming issue with the glare. I’ve never noticed or despite having seen the show like 4 times but I’m kind of an idiot about that stuff. (The real main character is Nick Miller and that’s why the show works.)

Every time I remember the Megan Fox arc it feels like a fever dream. She fits in the show about as well as Jack Black in that S1 Community episode, except she’s there for a good chunk of the season just taking all the air out of the room. It’s not that she’s poorly written or acted or anything, she just has no loving chemistry with the cast. Nasim Pedrad also came on pretty late, and pretty quickly she’s as much a part of the gang as anyone. But she’s a talented comedic actress with ensemble experience whereas Megan Fox was clearly shoved into the show by the network for ratings.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

I thought she was fun in Jennifer's Body. When given actual material to work with she's not bad.

This. If it seemed like she wasn't doing comedy well it's down to lovely writing and/or directing.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The biggest issue I had with New Girl is the episode where Jess' ex gets a restraining order against her and she spends the whole episode violating it and he just goes "ok let's try dating again"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Empty frames were briefly in fashion in the late 00s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I occasionally (though very rarely now) wear glasses with non-corrective lenses. I've never known anyone else to do this, and I go through some effort to hide the fact that these glasses are fake. I don't want to lie, I just look pretty good and a lot smarter in glasses :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

duck trucker posted:

The biggest issue I had with New Girl is the episode where Jess' ex gets a restraining order against her and she spends the whole episode violating it and he just goes "ok let's try dating again"

Jess needed to be punished a lot harder for her scary poo poo, and that was one glaring instance.

For once it seemed like the show was showing her that no, you're not special, you're not the manic pixie dream girl protagonist, you're a stalker and this man is right to be afraid of you. In the real world you can't do this bullshit. But then they spoil it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

And with this:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I figured this was probably coming soon. The articles at the end of last year about the company were pretty dire.

https://twitter.com/forbes/status/1611009801001046016?s=46&t=NytS34WRhjS3BjRAI3CWhA

Another Adam Sandler movie disappears into the ether.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_(2006_film)

Not that it was ever good, but the premise was that Sandler’s character bought a universal remote in the Beyond section (from Christopher Walken!) that controlled time itself.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not that it was ever good,

It's one of the least bad ones he's done, not counting the ones where he actually makes an effort like punch drunk love and uncut gems.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rydiafan posted:

It's one of the least bad ones he's done, not counting the ones where he actually makes an effort like punch drunk love and uncut gems.

spanglish was pretty good too

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Icon Of Sin posted:

And with this:

Another Adam Sandler movie disappears into the ether.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_(2006_film)

Not that it was ever good, but the premise was that Sandler’s character bought a universal remote in the Beyond section (from Christopher Walken!) that controlled time itself.

I was just thinking, was this where Adam Sandler bought that remote in that one movie that made me cry

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I started watching Mad Men this week, first time for me. Considering when it came out, I'm not really sure who I am supposed to "like" in the main cast. Also, I am amazed anyone gets any work done considering how much drinking happens, go to lunch, have a couple cocktails, come back to the office, pour a finger or two of scotch, go home and have a few drinks on the way and more at home.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aces High posted:

I started watching Mad Men this week, first time for me. Considering when it came out, I'm not really sure who I am supposed to "like" in the main cast. Also, I am amazed anyone gets any work done considering how much drinking happens, go to lunch, have a couple cocktails, come back to the office, pour a finger or two of scotch, go home and have a few drinks on the way and more at home.

Nobody, it's a show about awful people (this may change, I could never get into it).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aces High posted:

I started watching Mad Men this week, first time for me. Considering when it came out, I'm not really sure who I am supposed to "like" in the main cast.

Peggy.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Aces High posted:

imo the intended audience when it came out was supposed to hero worship Don Draper, or people like him, and slowly realize he's actually a gigantic piece of poo poo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aces High posted:

. Also, I am amazed anyone gets any work done considering how much drinking happens, go to lunch, have a couple cocktails, come back to the office, pour a finger or two of scotch, go home and have a few drinks on the way and more at home.

While wearing expensive clothes? Seems pretty sweet. I don’t understand why they’re such mad guys

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Stayne Falls posted:

imo the intended audience when it came out was supposed to hero worship Don Draper, or people like him, and slowly realize he's actually a gigantic piece of poo poo.

this has never gone wrong ever before.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the audience being stupid isn't really their problem

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One unintentional thing is the show runner cast his kid in the show, and when asked about how good he was at being a creepy kid had no idea he was seen as creepy

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Several of the women, actually.
Joan, Trudy (though she's a secondary/tertiary character,) and pretty much all of Don's secretaries after season 1 who weren't Megan (mostly thinking of the the old dead astronaut woman and Dawn.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

What did Megan do wrong?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Alhazred posted:

What did Megan do wrong?

Destroyed the monarchy

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Watched an old John Henson Talk Soup yesterday and it’s wild it was funny to make fun of trans people and call them he-she’s

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Stayne Falls posted:

I love that that's never how the main audience of the show sees it and every new prestige drama that comes along with the exact same formula and expects a different result.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Maybe if we really make this guy's life lovely, they'll get it."

Me: "drat, that lovely life is exactly what I want."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Watched an old John Henson Talk Soup yesterday and it’s wild it was funny to make fun of trans people and call them he-she’s

That poo poo was everywhere in the 00s and early 10s. Beloved show The Office with beloved actor Steve Carrell used a slur during a Christmas episode about Phyllis dressing as Santa.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

"Maybe if we really make this guy's life lovely, they'll get it."

Me: "drat, that lovely life is exactly what I want."

Bojack literally had him be a nonce and it didn't get through to those people.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

A Sometimes Food posted:

Bojack literally had him be a nonce and it didn't get through to those people.

To be fair, they're probably libertarians so it's a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Aces High posted:

there's actually a blind watch megathread that just finished recently in TVIV that has some great additional commentary/reflections in it here if you're interested:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941847&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The first time I watched it I was constantly looking up old episode reviews to supplement since a) the show itself is a bit more dense on plot and b) they don't usually smack the viewer over the head with historical bits, so I would occasionally miss some contextual stuff

Honestly everybody in the first season is a bit rough since the vibe is (understandably) way closer to the 50s in tone

CJacobs posted:

at 1:35 when he tosses the woman onto the counter and then calls her the most ornery and obstinate thing he's met, then the camera cuts to an old loving man giving him a wink and nod, that was all I needed to see, it's like borderline parody

Yeah admittedly it's actually pretty funny just in how absolutely over the top it is. I think for me it just comes across more morbid because my late gran was absolutely obsessed with his film work, in part because he reminded her of her (incredibly abusive) late husband :sweatdrop: