Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was just at my local Barnes & Noble and the queer eye set is still 100 bucks there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Waltzing Along posted:

It's really not that great. I gave mine away.

It's actually awesome. :colbert: But really benefits from having at least two.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah I want to have the main castle and the tower at the same time

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

There are some really awesome looking Rebrickable MOC instructions that use multiple of the set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50j9FcJVgwI

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BaconCopter posted:

There are some really awesome looking Rebrickable MOC instructions that use multiple of the set.

I believe that. But the set itself is a 9+ set. It's pretty boring to build and is actually quite small. It's a good example of wasted potential, IMO.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Yeah, for sure. That was my takeaway from reviews, but I'm sure it'd be a blast for a kid. Good on you for giving it to someone who might enjoy it more :cheers:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BaconCopter posted:

Yeah, for sure. That was my takeaway from reviews, but I'm sure it'd be a blast for a kid. Good on you for giving it to someone who might enjoy it more :cheers:

Yeah. Gave it to a kid. He got bored of it fast and started building his own stuff with it. So it all worked out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are there any modulars that are likely to go out of production soon?

radlum posted:

I finally did it, I bought a modular set. Saw an Assembly Square available and got it.

:same:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BaconCopter posted:

This guy doesn't orient his ingots in a consistent fashion i.e. he is a pervert.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve wanted a modular for years, but the prices are just always impossible to justify. Is there any history of any of them getting a good price reduction I’ve never seen or do they pretty much always hold at that price.

My girlfriend wants the bookstore one that’s current, but even that’s $200. Not bad value and I’m sure we’d get a blast out of building it, but oof.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

bird with big dick posted:

that's an amazing deal where at I'll drive over
I'd be shocked if anyone is within reasonable driving distance of me, but fwiw, Burgaw, NC.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve wanted a modular for years, but the prices are just always impossible to justify. Is there any history of any of them getting a good price reduction I’ve never seen or do they pretty much always hold at that price.

My girlfriend wants the bookstore one that’s current, but even that’s $200. Not bad value and I’m sure we’d get a blast out of building it, but oof.

The modulars will stay pretty consistent price-wise. You may find one on a site that's doing a '20% off whatever' type thing, but they don't really go on sale as far as I've seen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought that would be the case, thanks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Slugworth posted:

I'd be shocked if anyone is within reasonable driving distance of me, but fwiw, Burgaw, NC.

Omw from Reno.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve wanted a modular for years, but the prices are just always impossible to justify. Is there any history of any of them getting a good price reduction

All modulars go up in value. So you buy one for $200. After a few years, even used it is worth more than you paid.

When it comes to LEGO as investment, there aren't as many bets as safe as the modulars.

I get the price out the gate being pretty high, but you aren't just throwing your $$ away.

I'm not saying look at LEGO as an investment. Just pointing out that the value of the modulars is greater than the price you pay. Or something like that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m really good at buying stuff with the mind to sell it on and make some/all my money back.

Looks at pile of sealed vinyl, Xbox One S in closet etc.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Locking the new Blacktron GWP behind a purchase threshold feels worse and worse the more I see of it. The set is way too loving cool to not be easily available. The higher quality minifig printing is really nice, but the lack of printing compared to the Forest Hideout is pretty disappointing. Especially the nose piece and cargo pod side panels. This GWP timing seems super weird to me, it should be a pizza truck or cool band van, right? Or is this driving sales for the crazy priced Avatar sets :tinfoil:

None of my local Targets, Walmarts, etc got any of the new sets and I'm hearing Feb 1st or March 1st depending on the source. Has anyone else been running into this? Hopefully this isn't the "new strat" for maximizing profits in 2023. I do live close to one of the larger Lego stores and double the distance from a smaller one... maybe that has played out differently in other areas.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. Gave it to a kid. He got bored of it fast and started building his own stuff with it. So it all worked out.

That seems pretty ideal to me. The 3-in-1 sets have some seriously high quality builds, but they've always seemed like they're purposefully made to stimulate imagination and creation.

bird with big dick posted:

This guy doesn't orient his ingots in a consistent fashion i.e. he is a pervert.

Fair. Dude was probably slamming it out as quickly as possible, and like many Rebrickable instructions the build seems quite fragile. Looks freakin' sweet though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
drat, this huge set won the D&D completion. Looks like it’ll be pretty pricey, even after redesigning.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Speaking of rebrickable moc instructions my parents were mortified that they got me a set i already had for christmas, the 3 in 1 noodle shop.

Ofc i told them that there were alt builds and more lego is more good. But in the end i found a moc on rebrickable thst combines 2 sets into a kinda halfway creator modular. Bottom floor is a rearanged noofle shop, the second level is the alt arcade and theres a top floor appartment too. Its pretty cute. It doesn't quite fit perfectly as it uses plates for the base and has a black lampost rather than a white, but Now i gotta rearange things so i can place it with my assembly square and boutique hotel.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

drat, this huge set won the D&D completion. Looks like it’ll be pretty pricey, even after redesigning.

Boo. I wanted the mimic.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I also wanted the mimic but that is a pretty cool, dynamic looking thing if they keep the dragon wrapped around the tower like that. I'm sure it'll end up being $300 or whatever. It seems like they should be doing a full D&D series, what with the upcoming movie?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I really hope they don't redesign the dragon too much. It looks badass in a way that very few brick-built Lego dragons have.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr Phillby posted:

Speaking of rebrickable moc instructions my parents were mortified that they got me a set i already had for christmas, the 3 in 1 noodle shop.

Ofc i told them that there were alt builds and more lego is more good. But in the end i found a moc on rebrickable thst combines 2 sets into a kinda halfway creator modular. Bottom floor is a rearanged noofle shop, the second level is the alt arcade and theres a top floor appartment too. Its pretty cute. It doesn't quite fit perfectly as it uses plates for the base and has a black lampost rather than a white, but Now i gotta rearange things so i can place it with my assembly square and boutique hotel.

Yeah it's a great set for moc-ing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Rework it to include a dice tower and sold

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Infinitum posted:

Rework it to include a dice tower and sold

Just hallow out the extant Tower

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone done both Lion Knight's castle and that 3x31120 MOC to compare?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

I haven't built either but I know one of the two is quite fragile.

E: Dang it. I thought I was going to be able to find the comparison vid that I watched months ago fairly easily, but no luck. My takeaway was that if you're not going to be moving it around or opening it up fairly often then get the one that you think looks better. The Black Falcon's Castle won't have the same level of rigidity, clarity of instructions, or all of the figs.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 7, 2023

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Got my box o stuff I bought to get the blacktron. Still wish it had printed bricks but the stickers aren't terrible and a new blacktron minifig is always good. The tie bomber is a hell of a lot of fun.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Someone stated they wanted the Lego Pick-Up truck a whileee back. I'm selling one on SA mart!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Just finished JAZZCLUB tonight. Had a weird issue where the parts on pages 252 and 253 were actually in the bag that gets opened on page 254.

Must be improvisational jazz.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m really good at buying stuff with the mind to sell it on and make some/all my money back.

Looks at pile of sealed vinyl, Xbox One S in closet etc.

On the bright side with Lego you actually can do that.

I haven't sold many sets, but I do check Ebay auctions and BL prices a lot just in case. with some exceptions most of the poo poo I have I could at worst get my money back 100%, even selling it used and at best some of them are worth 2 or 3 times what I paid for them (used). I'm not saying it's a sure thing or that it's good reason to buy Lego but it's nice to know that for the most part a Lego set isn't just throwing money away because sometimes life happens or you just end up with too much Lego or whatever. I was able to live for a month off selling a single set during the pandemic when my unemployment dried up and that was nice. Modulars are also one of the safest bets out there in that regard.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Buy high, never sell.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

Buy high, never sell.

The Elon thread is that-a-way

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The true secret of Lego collecting is that you tell everybody that it holds value, and that you'll sell your stuff one day, but secretly never, ever plan to actually do so.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The true secret of Lego collecting is that you tell everybody that it holds value, and that you'll sell your stuff one day, but secretly never, ever plan to actually do so.

brick man's shameful sumptuous secret

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Dear Lego thread:

I once again had to sand a part to fit (the last time being a mechanism issue with the Mickey steamboat that was a friction issue, not a fit problem per se). Just one of the 2x2 curved slopes along the top was like over molded and the top part could attach fine but the step down piece had too much plastic and wouldn’t fit or would pop off. One of 8 of the same pieces, and the others didn’t have an issue. This is on the new quinjet set.

If I was a kid or a kid was building this I’d be very mad, fixing it myself was still somewhat of a disappointment.

Anyway, clap me in irons for my sins.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Lego Investment thread: Brick man gets paid

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I just got finished building the large Ecto-1, and it feels a little more fragile than other recent movie vehicles or creator cars. Am I imagining things, or did other people feel this way?

It seemed like there were way more single stuff connections, and less reinforcement than I was used to in othe builds. The overall structure was sound, but I felt I had to be extra careful to not be popping off bodywork pieces. At one point near the end of the build, the car slipped in my hands a bit, and one of the tail light assemblies popped out. It took me awhile to get it back in place without ripping everything apart.

It definitely looks cool, and it’s nice that it has a few “play” features. I don’t regret buying it or building it. Just that it pales in comparison to the DeLorean or the 1989 Batmobile.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Eh, the batmobile has a couple fragile things too, like the fins, but yeah the ecto has lots of ways of holding it wrong while the batmobile feels like a brick, it’s just so great in how heavy it is. I think in part this might be due to the many play features and resulting loose-ish parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
For why maybe the Galaxy Explorer was over produced, and didn't sell as well as hoped; the original Galaxy Explorer may have been a fixture of the Reaganite and Atari childhoods of a bunch of late Gen Xers, and eldest of Millennials (which I presume are the designers of the set), but as someone who's in their 30s, I have absolutely zero nostalgia for that era of classic space, it was long gone by the time I was born, it has it's own appeals for sure, but my era of "classic" space I remember was UFO, with translucent neon greens, black, and grey everywhere.

The new Galaxy Explorer doesn't hold nostalgia for me, it might be a fun build, but it seems like it's very much a thing that appeals to a smaller niche of the market, from what I've experienced at shops, most Lego building adults aren't the people in their 50s, they're younger, people that got into it with themes like Star Wars or Bionicle that made Lego cool again, so why would this set that's made for a nostalgia that they've never had have anything more than niche appeal to them?

Metoron fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 8, 2023