Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Double-post, understanding no one on this thread is a certified financial advisor (or if you are, don't use this thread to provide it). I want to confirm my understanding / math of:

2023 IRS Limit for a single person, 401(k) contributions is $66,000 from all sources, $22,500 from my contributions.

So, if I want to get a backdoor going, I should do: $66,000 - $22,500 - employer contribution (3% of salary atm) = maximum total (e: MEGA, not the $6500 IRA backdoor) backdoor amount -- is that right?

source: https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-401k-and-profit-sharing-plan-contribution-limits

movax fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
To be clear on terminology, what you are describing (exceeding the 22.5k personal contribution limit by putting after-tax contributions into your 401k and converting to roth immediately) is a Mega Backdoor, not a 'normal' Backdoor, which happens solely in IRA space and is limited to $6,500 for 2023.

But yes, your math is basically what it works out to for the Mega Backdoor.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

ROJO posted:

To be clear on terminology, what you are describing (exceeding the 22.5k personal contribution limit by putting after-tax contributions into your 401k and converting to roth immediately) is a Mega Backdoor, not a 'normal' Backdoor, which happens solely in IRA space and is limited to $6,500 for 2023.

But yes, your math is basically what it works out to for the Mega Backdoor.

Can someone explain to me when the best times to rollover are? Is it better to do it once, or constantly, and why?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

drk posted:

2023 I Bond buying guide is up @ TIPS watch: https://tipswatch.com/2023/01/03/i-bonds-a-not-so-simple-buying-guide-for-2023/

Short summary: long term investors should consider waiting until mid-April to buy I bonds. TIPS continue to look good but are more complicated and have risks I Bonds dont (currently mitigated to some degree by having a higher real yield than I Bonds).

Good stuff, thanks for the link. It convinced me to wait.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a good website that lists/ranks fee-only financial advisors?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

https://www.napfa.org/

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Excellent. We need some serious financial planning and I'm trying to push the conversation towards fee-only.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ubiquitus posted:

Can someone explain to me when the best times to rollover are? Is it better to do it once, or constantly, and why?

For mega backdoor you want to convert/rollover ASAP. Between contribution and when it get converted, that money is "After tax" money. Meaning that any gain it makes is a capital gain you will owe taxes on. After it is converted it is now "Roth" and no more taxes. Some plans have limits on how often they will do conversions.

If you only get X conversions a year, its probably best to space them equally to minimize any given dollars time as Aftertax. Time of the year doesn't matter much other than the one you do in Jan you wont pay for until 15 months later. Timing just after a big contribution like a yearly bonus might also be good. If your plan has unlimited and/or automatic (thanks Fidelity), its best to do them every paycheck.

Why this is legal and how it makes some plans just magically have 3x the Roth space is left as an exercise to the reader. The IRS is fine with it through and congress doesn't love it, but can't get around to changing it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

movax posted:

Looking on Fidelity at their CD options for 3 month, lets take the WF 3 mo one as an example -- the maturity date of 4/13 means that end-of-business 4/13 is the fastest I could liquify it, and then would likely have to give an additional few business days for Fidelity to clear it + do an EFT back to my checking to cut a check for property tax, correct? Same with I-Bonds, regardless of the decision on 4/12, I have until 4/30 to make the purchase (if I want the existing rate) or wait until May to go for it.

Ergo, that maturity date would be a no-go for parking tax payments?

Just buy a T-bill, there are maturities every week. I just bought this week's new 13 week issue (maturity April 6), the yield was 4.522%

movax
Aug 30, 2008

drk posted:

Just buy a T-bill, there are maturities every week. I just bought this week's new 13 week issue (maturity April 6), the yield was 4.522%

As a new issue, today? I only see 2/7, 3/7 and 5/9 on Fidelity at the moment. Next 13 week looks like it opens up Thursday.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this link is very useful for tracking Treasury auctions
https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/221/Tentative-Auction-Schedule.pdf

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pmchem posted:

this link is very useful for tracking Treasury auctions
https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/221/Tentative-Auction-Schedule.pdf

That's what I'm looking at -- I feel like I want the one that announces this Thursday, auctions Monday and settles Tuesday? Just doesn't seem to appear on Fidelity's site yet, following this page: https://thefinancebuff.com/treasury-bills-cd-money-market.html

drk
Jan 16, 2005

movax posted:

As a new issue, today? I only see 2/7, 3/7 and 5/9 on Fidelity at the moment. Next 13 week looks like it opens up Thursday.

The auction closed today, CUSIP 912796YN3. If that date appeals to you, you should be able to buy it on the secondary market sometime after the issue date of Jan 5th.

edit: reference https://treasurydirect.gov/instit/annceresult/press/preanre/2023/R_20230103_2.pdf

double edit: yes, you wont see this Thursdays auction until Thursday, but there should be availablity of every week under 4 months on the secondary market during market hours

drk fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 4, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

PNC is offering 4% on their HYSA (min $1) as long as they don't have a physical location in your state (list here: https://apyguy.com/pnc-bank-high-yield-savings-account-review/)

Might finally get off my butt to do this.. just wanted to make sure there's nothing that someone has heard about that makes this bad

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

PNC is offering 4% on their HYSA (min $1) as long as they don't have a physical location in your state (list here: https://apyguy.com/pnc-bank-high-yield-savings-account-review/)

Might finally get off my butt to do this.. just wanted to make sure there's nothing that someone has heard about that makes this bad

I asked about this earlier in thread, I think you need to setup some recurring deposits / meet minimum requirements otherwise you don't get the best rate:

movax posted:

Any thread favorites on ETFs / market exposure to these vs. direct through TreasuryDirect?

Also, I have some brainworms when it comes to emergency fund storage. Mine is parked at Ally right now and I choose not to think about inflation eating it but occasionally I think "well... I could move it into something that does better...", before not doing anything and letting it sit. Does everyone here just let $X sit, or play a small shell game in chasing a higher interest rate?

Somewhat related to my earlier question...

I may have the option in Jan/Feb to open a few new bank accounts, curious if Discover/PNC/other HYSAs are the 'ideal' options? Probably something that doesn't nickel and dime on EFTs/ wires.

e: A combination of 5 or more PIN and/or signature point-of-sale transactions (excluding cash advances) must have posted to your linked PNC Checking account during the previous calendar month using your PNC Visa® Debit Card or your linked PNC Visa Credit Card.
Have $500 in qualifying direct deposits in a linked Standard Checking during the previous calendar month.
Have $2,000 in qualifying direct deposits ($1,000 for WorkPlace or Military Banking customers) in a linked Virtual Wallet with Performance Spend or Performance Checking during the previous calendar month.
Have $5,000 in qualifying direct deposits in a linked Virtual Wallet with Performance Select or Performance Select Checking during the previous calendar month.

"Direct" deposit... so they want ACH style transfers setup (like payroll), right? I wouldn't think transferring from my own Chase account would count. I guess I can bug my HR / Payroll to meet the 2nd condition...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

movax posted:

I asked about this earlier in thread, I think you need to setup some recurring deposits / meet minimum requirements otherwise you don't get the best rate:
https://www.pnc.com/en/rates/savings/94117/NA
If you look, that is "Point 2". That relates to Standard Savings, not the HYSA.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a backdoor way to get the Vanguard Cash Plus account or whatever they call it?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Related there is a 4.35% account that only needs min $1000 to trigger. that seems like there is no minimum
https://www.mysavingsdirect.com/securebanking/faq.do

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a backdoor way to get the Vanguard Cash Plus account or whatever they call it?

The landing page says the rate is still 3.9% which is less than a Vanguard Money Market. So, just buy money market for now?

The program is still invite only anyways.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Out of curiosity I got curious about FSKAX / VTSAX holdings and it is infuriating to me to see loving Tesla up there in the Top 10 of each. I know they have to track the index they follow but still...

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Was talking about 401ks at work today and found out of my workers has been putting 100% of his 401k contribution in as aftertax for the last few years.

Thankfully we have in service aftertax to roth conversion, so its mostly salvagable, but common read your docs people.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

movax posted:

Out of curiosity I got curious about FSKAX / VTSAX holdings and it is infuriating to me to see loving Tesla up there in the Top 10 of each. I know they have to track the index they follow but still...

I haven't done the math on it, but there have been days recently when the S&P 500 is down like 0.3%, TSLA is down like 7%, and it feels like the latter accounts almost entirely for the former.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

drk posted:

The landing page says the rate is still 3.9% which is less than a Vanguard Money Market. So, just buy money market for now?

The program is still invite only anyways.

I can't recall: is there any reason not to just shift my money over to Vanguard's money market account? Cash in a money market account is also covered by the FDIC, correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I can't recall: is there any reason not to just shift my money over to Vanguard's money market account? Cash in a money market account is also covered by the FDIC, correct?

It just feels like a big hassle for what is what, at most 0.5% ? Other than a one time I bonds purchase, I’ve been leaving my e fund in one account in Ally.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e: wrong thread

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Duckman2008 posted:

It just feels like a big hassle for what is what, at most 0.5% ? Other than a one time I bonds purchase, I’ve been leaving my e fund in one account in Ally.

VMFXX is at 4.21%, so almost a full percent over Ally at this point, or $1k/year for the 5 seconds it'll take to hit the button on my Ally account.

At this point if feels like a 1% ER.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

movax posted:

"VT and chill" diversification wins again, see also new BABA runup.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

movax posted:

Probably not in the Top 10 anymore. Those Top 10 holdings were based on TSLA at 11/30/2022, with a share price of $195, and it's now $113-ish. Not that it's much consolation since presumably we were all holding it back then as well.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/is-a-money-market-account-insured-en-1007/

quote:

Money market mutual funds, however, are not federally insured. These are offered by brokers and other entities that are not banks or credit unions.

my understanding is that banks and credit unions are fdic insured, brokerages are not. they would be spic insured, so you would be made whole if the brokerage collapsed through fraud, but might face losses if there are problems with the underlying assets, say the money market broke the buck due to a collapse in the commercial paper/short term treasuries market. this happened briefly in 2008, but the fed quickly stepped in to provide liquidity and my understanding is that reforms have made a repeat much less likely.

i personally wouldn't think twice about the safety of a mainstream money market account

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/is-a-money-market-account-insured-en-1007/

my understanding is that banks and credit unions are fdic insured, brokerages are not. they would be spic insured, so you would be made whole if the brokerage collapsed through fraud, but might face losses if there are problems with the underlying assets, say the money market broke the buck due to a collapse in the commercial paper/short term treasuries market. this happened briefly in 2008, but the fed quickly stepped in to provide liquidity and my understanding is that reforms have made a repeat much less likely.

i personally wouldn't think twice about the safety of a mainstream money market account

One of those reforms is that some types of money market funds can penalize or limit redemptions when their liquidity is stressed, which is potentially a time you'll need your emergency fund. Definitely read the fine print!

raminasi fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 5, 2023

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Anybody with a fidelity-run mega-backdoor-eligible 401k know how they handle automatic cutoff of after-tax contributions? Are they smart enough to preserve space for the full employer match, or is this something I'll need to manage myself manually?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

SlapActionJackson posted:

Anybody with a fidelity-run mega-backdoor-eligible 401k know how they handle automatic cutoff of after-tax contributions? Are they smart enough to preserve space for the full employer match, or is this something I'll need to manage myself manually?

Based on my last company, I think you'll need to manage manually. Note that there isn't "mega-backdoor-specific" space, it's an aggregate limit. A few folks found this out the hard way and lost out on some trad 401k space.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

I have a friend with a Fidelity run 401k that allows the mega-backdoor, and he overcontributed. It's honestly not possible for custodian to be smart enough, since they have no idea what might be coming later in the year. For all they know, you wanted to hit the max $61k before the end of the year.

My company solves this by having a limit occur in payroll for the after-tax contribution such that there is still plenty of space left. Basically, they stop us at $22,250 every year. That + employee deferrals (another $20.5k for 2022) + match (no one in our company will get more than $15k in matching and most people are much less) means everyone is well under the limit. Honestly I like it this way even if I give up some mega backdoor space.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

You're in luck - I miscalculated something that caused me to run into this problem, and the answer is no, they do not preserve that space. But when I called them a couple years ago to figure this stuff out they were very helpful on the phone. (The mistake I made wasn't due to their phone help; it was caused by a raise I got later.)

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

My company payroll stops mbdr contributions to Fidelity when I hit the limit. It sounds like maybe Fidelity doesn't do it without payroll doing it?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
My company has a supplemental savings plan made for over-limit contributions. It has to be set up before the beginning of the year and there are other specific rules for it like no contribution changes allowed to the 401k.

Anyway, I’m a bit jealous that people even have the problem of running out of combined tax advantaged space and hope to be one of those people someday.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Happiness Commando posted:

My company payroll stops mbdr contributions to Fidelity when I hit the limit. It sounds like maybe Fidelity doesn't do it without payroll doing it?

The question wasn't about the limit itself (which Fidelity does automatically manage, like most 401k providers), but whether Fidelity automatically protects enough combined limit to permit the full employer match.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Figures. It's a little annoying since I can't set contributions by dollar amount and have to calculate it in percent-of-paycheck quanta.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

My company is ADP payroll, Vanguard 401(k). I was just looking into this and after chatting with our payroll people, I'm just going to leave some buffer and plan a backdoor amount at beginning of year and then fill whatever is left in the last paycheck of the year. We don't "match" but rather contribute 3% of base salary... but that amount varies as bonuses don't count, but 'hazard' pay / other misc. comp varies over the year so I can't quite pin down the exact amount I'll get from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Fidelity will cut you off at the $61k cap, but you have to micromanage your contributions as you get close to end of year. I cut down to the minimum to get my full company match in October and it looks like I wound up missing maybe $100 of company match or so because I hit the aggregate limit on the last paycheck. Annoying, but I don't really know how it could be done otherwise, especially if you get bonuses, etc.