Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

tuo posted:

The snowmobile takes another one. RIP.

ftfy.

Snowmobiles are death machines.

[edit]

Lewischat:

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

ftfy.

Snowmobiles are death machines.

Did the lovely marvel films accomplice succumb to his injuries too?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Charles Leclerc posted:

snowmobiles and snow plows are different things.

(I think he's still alive)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I quite liked Renner, from the description of his injuries it sounds like he's losing a leg.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
My dad was a self-taught, self-employed, badass mechanic who primarily worked on muscle cars. The local Corvette Club would come to his shop for teardowns after drag racing events, and he tuned drag racing and autocross cars with friends/customers/both on weekends. Hanging out at the shop over summer break from elementary school, I heard from so many customers that dad made their car so much faster it scared them at first. That they didn't think their car was capable of such power.
Just leave out the part that his shop barely made enough money to stay afloat and he never owned a Corvette despite being a local club member for decades...

Anyway, I didn't learn a drat bit of it and became a middling computer-toucher. It all sounds so loving cool, but every time he explained it to my young idiot self it just blurred into gibberish about equations, ratios, gears, and mechanisms I couldn't picture in my mind.

I saw this after just watching the Dakar highlights and goddrat I nearly pissed myself laughing. Absolutely spot-on.

"Dad, do you need the flashlight now?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/comments/102laqg/dad_do_you_need_the_flashlight_now/

Sorry dad, I still don't know what tool you need me to hand you, but I miss holding the light for you.

...with curly fries and a coke. Could I get some Horsey sauce too? Thanks.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Thanks Ants posted:

I made it more American

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/michaelandretti/status/1611022282008264704?t=syoXVCbelNs9OL7fzIzzbA&s=19

Cadillac coming to F1

edit: attempting to at least

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 5, 2023

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Listening to Cadillac's V-LMDh startup noise is more enjoyable than watching an F1 race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQm2W5dJlaM

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The first F1 car with a live rear axle, still quicker than Haas

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i give this a 0.1% chance of actually happening

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Yeah, they can pursuit F1 all they want, but Cadillac means even less to the powers that be than the Andretti name.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
TBF I don't think the Cadillac marque is the issue - it's more important to have GM as a works team in F1. They've been using Cadillac as the brand name for hypercars in IMSA for a while, and also plan on entering the new LMDh car in WEC this year, so GM has probably designated Cadillac as their "premier" racing brand. They've also been running Pratt & Miller-built Corvettes in IMSA as GT cars, and they're going to run in WEC this year too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ethanol posted:

That's charitable of you. Though I suppose dogshit landyachts driven by geriatric fucklords is very much the target market of Miami and Las Vegas so it kind of makes sense.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

The first F1 car with a live rear axle, still quicker than Haas

Hey buddy, Moneygram Haas was better than Scuderia Alpha Tauri and Williams last year. As the western hemisphere’s premier F1 team they demand your respect.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Charles Leclerc posted:

That's charitable of you. Though I suppose dogshit landyachts driven by geriatric fucklords is very much the target market of Miami and Las Vegas so it kind of makes sense.

CTS-V’s are good and cool :colbert:

[edit] ATS-V as well

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

marshalljim posted:

Yeah, they can pursuit F1 all they want, but Cadillac means even less to the powers that be than the Andretti name.

Uhhhh I don’t think you realize how big GM is. This is exactly what the FIA and F1 wanted Andretti to do - bring a big new name in as a new partner, instead of just being another manufacturer using a Ferrari/Mercedes/Renault engine.

It needs time, but this is an incredibly strong possibility.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

My grandfather also drives a Cadillac.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If an American constructor with an American engine wins a WCC then Michael Schumacher will wake up and compete for his 8th title.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Put Logan in da caddy car

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

TheBacon posted:

Put Logan in da caddy car

That’s Herta’s seat. The other one is for Scott Speed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Uhhhh I don’t think you realize how big GM is. This is exactly what the FIA and F1 wanted Andretti to do - bring a big new name in as a new partner, instead of just being another manufacturer using a Ferrari/Mercedes/Renault engine.

It needs time, but this is an incredibly strong possibility.

Except they are going to use a Renault aren't they?

EDIT : They've said they've signed to buy an engine, Renault is the one who are obligated to sell them one at a set price.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 6, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Except they are going to use a Renault aren't they?

EDIT : They've said they've signed to buy an engine, Renault is the one who are obligated to sell them one at a set price.

Weird. Guess this helps the timeline considering they don’t have much of an F1 engine shop, but still. Huh.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

harperdc posted:

Weird. Guess this helps the timeline considering they don’t have much of an F1 engine shop, but still. Huh.

I'm sure they could bolt an MGU to their Indycar engine and give it a spin

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ilmor doing the ICE and Cadillac doing the Hybrid parts could be workable. The issue is though GM tends to outsource a lot of their racing programs.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

Ilmor doing the ICE and Cadillac doing the Hybrid parts could be workable. The issue is though GM tends to outsource a lot of their racing programs.

Didn't Mercedes buy Ilmor and turn it into Mercedes AMG HPP?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ilmor Engineering does the Indycar engines, which is part of the company that Mario bought back from Mercedes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

I'm sure they could bolt an MGU to their Indycar engine and give it a spin

Entirely different class of engine. Bigger, for one, but also more exotic designs in F1.

Ilmor staffing up, Cosworth giving it a try…not sure how many other options there are besides badge engineering an existing F1 power plant.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Lot of poo poo being chatted about metal that isn't cookware ITT, very sus.

I mean, apart from Merc engines, which are cast iron boat anchors at this point. The galaxy brains at motorsport.com are calling Honda to power Crappilac, so that's definitely going to happen.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Have we put toxxes down for how Are Fred is going to take the Glorious Scud to the kind of destructive victory that loses a million shitlord netlflix viewers off the sport yet?

I'm thinking Liberty are going to divest out of pure fear of Ferrari dominance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The funniest 2023 outcome would be if the Renault powertrain is the one to beat but the team choke every time it looks like they might be able to capitalise

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

The funniest 2022 outcome would be if the Ferrari powertrain is the one to beat but the team choke every time it looks like they might be able to capitalise

I think I've seen this movie before. I did not enjoy it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One team does a McLaren by looking amazingly fast in pre-season testing and then it turns out their suspension has been installed upside-down

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

One team does a McLaren by looking amazingly fast in pre-season testing and then it turns out their suspension has been installed upside-down

Pretty sure quid runs his corolla on that setup?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
https://www.planetf1.com/news/rene-arnoux-slams-mattia-binotto-ferrari/

Vando I owe you an apology. gently caress this rear end in a top hat lol.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I’ve also read that one of the reasons Jabouille left Renault (a team in which he was an engineer as well as a driver for) is because of Arnoux. I believe it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Frond posted:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/rene-arnoux-slams-mattia-binotto-ferrari/

Vando I owe you an apology. gently caress this rear end in a top hat lol.

It's one of F1's great mysteries why Arnoux left Ferrari in 85. All sorts of theories ranging from insulting the car to boning Enzo Ferrari's granddaughter

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Charles Leclerc posted:

I hope he did. It takes some loving flint Michigan levels of lead poisoning to the brain to believe you need a 2 tonne snow plough living in Reno Nevada.

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:

curried lamb of God posted:

it's more important to have GM as a works team in F1.

They killed Holden for this :(

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Rhopunzel posted:

It's one of F1's great mysteries why Arnoux left Ferrari in 85. All sorts of theories ranging from insulting the car to boning Enzo Ferrari's granddaughter

Nobody will ever know. Arnoux maintains it’s because he did not get along with Postlewaithe, Migeot and Enzo himself.

The latter is also probably true and even worse because she was like 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Binotto was promoted beyond his capabilities. A good engineer but not a good manager.