Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Any opinions on either Nemesis?

i've played it 4p twice, loved it both times and so did everyone else. there were some really fun stories created and that, i think, is the main goal of it. I can see how the cost of that would be the occasional game where someone is taken out extremely early on though

will probably sell Nemesis Lockdown however. it feels very excessive having both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's great cause you can have an early heel turn, and then when you're actively trying to help no-one trusts you.

Top tier experience generator

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I dunno if there's a general LCG thread, but the Arkham LCG thread is here and still here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989685

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608727

But nobody has posted since last year :imunfunny:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ark Nova is is one of those engine builders where players sift through a huge deck of engine pieces to try and cobble together something that works. I honestly found it overlong and quite lonely. There's very little player interaction at all, and that's intentional. A lot of players of heavier boardgames love to work out neat combos, and hate to have to guess what other players are going to do. Me, I just hate squinting at a bunch of cards to try and read what they do. Plus it's got animals as a theme, which is neat.
The snobs here don't like Nemesis. I've not played it. I gather it's like Battle Star Galactica if the designers were idiots. But I've seen people enjoy it.

I got Ark Nova a couple of weeks ago and I quite like it, though I've only played it four or five times (mostly with two players). At least so far it doesn't really seem like an engine builder; on the animal side all of the mechanics are parasitic (e.g. to get value from predators you need to play more predators, same with herbivores etc). The sponsor cards offer slightly more possibilities, but most of them are still just giving you some additional benefit for playing or having a particular kind of animal (type, country of origin, habitat preferences, etc).

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Ark Nova is good, but overrated, i feel. It's got the issue of pulling cards 'one giant deck of cards', where maybe nothing you need will ever show up since you go through not even half the deck sometimes. It does feel like it has too much going on, but at the same time it all feels like it hangs together well enough and i am not sure what i would take out, so there's that. It also take up way too much space. But I liked that 'building the zoo' part with the cages, upgrading your options/choices with partnerships, and I do not regret playing it, even though it does feel too long with certain players. It does play better with 2 players, in my opinion.

Also, make sure everyone understands the ending condition and scoring before you get too close to it. First time I played it was quite the gulf in everyone's skill/experience with the game, and the winner had like 16 points, second was around 12 points, then me and the other new guy had something like -20 and -25 points because the ending was not very well explained. It left a huge sour taste in my mouth where i felt like i had just wasted several hours of my life, and I almost did not try the game ever again because of it. But after that, the scores were always much closer. This may just be a 'me' problem, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's also one of a handful of games I've blinged out, as I felt it was worth it, so take if that as you will.

Do have one complaint though

Here's my game bag for tomorrow:

:v:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Why are designers allergic to tiered decks? So many games could be enhanced with just simple ages/eras/tiers to the cards. Just look at how Valley of the Kings kicks the crap out of so many other rivals by handling the market row in a novel way on top of layering the cards so that you don't see a card no one can afford or has terrible early synergy clogging everything up.

I think Dune Imperium would benefit greatly from this as well but it's barely a deck builder anyway.

Also who are all these people who take the time to log the games they play? I'm usually too exhausted to remember to do anything except clean up and put the lid on properly so that it lines up with the back of the box.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FulsomFrank posted:

Why are designers allergic to tiered decks? So many games could be enhanced with just simple ages/eras/tiers to the cards. Just look at how Valley of the Kings kicks the crap out of so many other rivals by handling the market row in a novel way on top of layering the cards so that you don't see a card no one can afford or has terrible early synergy clogging everything up.

I think Dune Imperium would benefit greatly from this as well but it's barely a deck builder anyway.

Also who are all these people who take the time to log the games they play? I'm usually too exhausted to remember to do anything except clean up and put the lid on properly so that it lines up with the back of the box.

So many times while playing the Arkham LCG I've thought about this as well. Drawing one of the most powerful monsters in the deck two turns in before you've even stepped out of the first room is such a downer.

There are scenarios in which there's a 'normal' part beforehand, before everything goes to poo poo, and then when things pop off, you shuffle extra enemies and encounters into the deck, and those feel so much more fun than the rest, knowing that you aren't going to be facing a bunch of difficult stuff right out of the gate.

Also, I log my games because ....not sure why, I think there's just something about it I quite like. I start up the app, click on the game I'm playing, and then just let it run. Then I fill out details like players or expansions or whatever while someone else is doing their turn.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FulsomFrank posted:

sucks2beold

I have an app, that starts a log and play time with the touch of a greasy cheeto thumb :smug:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Also, if you aren't quantifying how much fun you're having, what are you even doing with your board game life

it's what rosenberg would want

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Played Obscurio and Labyrinth.

Obscurio was much, much better than Mysterium Park (yet to play normal Mysterium). Goal was clear, game moved naturally, plenty of intrigue and interest. The traps in particular add a fantastic dimension that was lacking in Mysterium Park. Unfortunately we could only get in a couple game and both our Grimoires were terrible. Not anyone's fault, we were all (5p) learning it together for the first time. Still the Grimoire made so bad a blunder in the 2nd game its best not to count that game at all. Definitely want to get a solid game of it down before making a final call, but it's looking like I'll land on liking it overall.

Labyrinth is fine. It's simple, it's engaging, it's well paced. It's not very exciting, pretty luck heavy, and it's extremely shallow. Fun to play quickly before the store closes, won't table it otherwise.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 4, 2023

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is there a game like Unmatched but with a deckbuilding component?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CitizenKeen posted:

Twisted Fables

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

Skytear might be what you're looking for. It's MOBA inspired so there is more rules grit, but like Unmatched is all about smart card play and strategic positioning. Best with two, and has each player controlling 3 unique characters that you create a deck for.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

CitizenKeen posted:

Warhammer Underworlds! My favorite game. Check the OP here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019549

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Muir posted:

Warhammer Underworlds! My favorite game. Check the OP here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019549

That game was so good, but we got burnt out on it. I think I remember the early balance being not so great? I need to check on the latest sets.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Muir posted:

I totally missed this was a series. I saw Shadespire on Watch It Played and their gameplay vids forever ago.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

LifeLynx posted:

That game was so good, but we got burnt out on it. I think I remember the early balance being not so great? I need to check on the latest sets.

The balance is pretty decent now, and there's some great formats that allow for no deckbuilding (Rivals), moderate deckbuilding (Nemesis), or total deckbuilding (Relic / Championship). The newest season started recently, Gnarlwood, and it's fun.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I think Ark Nova's main appeal is the theme. It's one of those games that people who wouldn't normally play a game of that type/weight will give it a go because they like zoos and animals.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I would classify Ark Nova as the perfect "lazy Sunday afternoon" game. If you get together with other people who are into the theme (and I am very much into the theme) it's a super chill way to spend the day. There's a lot of bonuses triggered by other bonuses, so you get that constant dopamine hit from number going up. Comfort food in board game form.
I also have a friend that I got into board games recently, but she doesn't like games with any adversarial interaction, so the 'multiplayer solitaire' aspect is a plus for me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It’s the same reason why I love Caverna, Wingspan or, to go to the real extreme, 1853, which is the ultimate gentlemen’s agreement game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FulsomFrank posted:

Terraforming Mars too.

Arnak does a neat, simple thing where the market shifts over time from normal cards (that need to go through the usual cleanup and draw cycle before use) to ones that have on-gain abilities but which cost to be reused.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Wrong thread

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Terraforming Mars too.

Arnak does a neat, simple thing where the market shifts over time from normal cards (that need to go through the usual cleanup and draw cycle before use) to ones that have on-gain abilities but which cost to be reused.

Yeah TM is the one I always think of but wasn't sure if one of the expansions fixed that or not, I don't have any of them and in my mind there are a dozen when in actuality there are probably maybe two I don't know. Christ, even Splendor figured out tiered decks.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

FulsomFrank posted:

Why are designers allergic to tiered decks? So many games could be enhanced with just simple ages/eras/tiers to the cards.

It adds quite a lot to the setup/teardown burden, especially if the cards need to have identical backs. And that affects every game, while just speeding up card churn so you're more likely to see cards appropriate for your level will sort of work, most of the time. Multi-use cards that offer more at a higher player level would be ideal, I suppose.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Oh dear me posted:

It adds quite a lot to the setup/teardown burden, especially if the cards need to have identical backs. And that affects every game, while just speeding up card churn so you're more likely to see cards appropriate for your level will sort of work, most of the time. Multi-use cards that offer more at a higher player level would be ideal, I suppose.

I think every game with tiered decks would be improved by having the backs different ala Concordia lol.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah TM is the one I always think of but wasn't sure if one of the expansions fixed that or not, I don't have any of them and in my mind there are a dozen when in actuality there are probably maybe two I don't know. Christ, even Splendor figured out tiered decks.

Nah, TM's expansions generally approach the issue by giving you more stuff which isn't reliant on cards and/or gives you more tools to be able to use the cards you're given.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
TM would be a worse game with tiered decks imo.

The design is such that almost all cards are not great on their own, but good if you get them at the right time in the game and/or in the right combination with order cards.

There's a couple cards that are design misses because they are always bad and some because they are always great but it's impressive how many cards are in the sweet spot of being situationally good. The whole skill then is figuring out what situation you are in, and speculating on cards most likely to turn out good based on your future draws, while denying cards that are good for whatever opponent(s) is most threatening.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Orange Devil posted:

TM would be a worse game with tiered decks imo.

The design is such that almost all cards are not great on their own, but good if you get them at the right time in the game and/or in the right combination with order cards.

There's a couple cards that are design misses because they are always bad and some because they are always great but it's impressive how many cards are in the sweet spot of being situationally good. The whole skill then is figuring out what situation you are in, and speculating on cards most likely to turn out good based on your future draws, while denying cards that are good for whatever opponent(s) is most threatening.

I hear what you're saying and maybe I just don't play the game enough (~7 plays) but each time we played it felt like I was chewing through the chaff constantly to get to the wheat and it was tedious and annoying. Again, more than willing to say I suck at it, just seems like a tighter design would be making more choices that matter at particular beats in the game, mechanically and thematically. Just remembered Twilight Struggle does this too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Through the ages is the example I always point to, of course.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You're churning through tons of projects in TfM looking for ones that will maybe work for you. In a way that's the core of the whole game: making the best out of the totally random draw. Luck mitigation is a skill but in the end it's still luck.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

FulsomFrank posted:

I hear what you're saying and maybe I just don't play the game enough (~7 plays) but each time we played it felt like I was chewing through the chaff constantly to get to the wheat and it was tedious and annoying. Again, more than willing to say I suck at it, just seems like a tighter design would be making more choices that matter at particular beats in the game, mechanically and thematically. Just remembered Twilight Struggle does this too.

Are you drafting? It's basically required, otherwise you don't see enough cards to make the game compelling. The game sucks without drafting and the fact that it's not the default is a problem IMO (though it does significantly increase play length which might be why they don't)

TfM has its issues but I still really enjoy it and I don't think that it needs a tiered deck, it just needs some of the chaff removed so that every card at least has the potential to be interesting if you get it under the right circumstances. Nobody is ever excited by Dust Seals.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

RabidWeasel posted:

Are you drafting? It's basically required, otherwise you don't see enough cards to make the game compelling. The game sucks without drafting and the fact that it's not the default is a problem IMO (though it does significantly increase play length which might be why they don't)

TfM has its issues but I still really enjoy it and I don't think that it needs a tiered deck, it just needs some of the chaff removed so that every card at least has the potential to be interesting if you get it under the right circumstances. Nobody is ever excited by Dust Seals.

We've drafted and done the draw n keep. My main issue is that unless everyone knows what they're doing, drafting in TfM can take a game that feels too long and turn it into a game that feels and is too long. We did a 4P drafting game once that lasted 4 hours. Not blaming the game entirely here but it haunts me to this day. Also a by-product of not you know... Terraforming Mars in lieu of trying to get a sick engine going.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I really dislike it when cards are from different "decks" (eg Age I, Age II, etc) but they have all the same backs and are differentiated only by some minor thing on the fronts. It makes sorting and handling a pain in the rear end.

But what if you need the backs to -- for example -- not telegraph when the current age is ending? You can still have different backs, just burn & turn when it's time to reveal like in poker, problem solved. :colbert:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

You can have different card backs, just have the deck played face up. Then the card on top of the deck could either be in play as part of the offer or be a small glimpse into the future to plan ahead. Some games already do this but far more should imo.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Ojetor posted:

You can have different card backs, just have the deck played face up. Then the card on top of the deck could either be in play as part of the offer or be a small glimpse into the future to plan ahead. Some games already do this but far more should imo.

Oathsworn both has you play with the top card face up, and the back of the card has the monster phase very clearly printed on it.

The downside is people across the table want to read the card, so you're going to end up picking up the top card all the time, and you'll know what phase the next card is. Not a big deal, though.

I think in most games I've played with tiered decks, the number of cards in each phase is known, so having unique card backs means you don't have to count cards drawn from that deck to know if the phase is nearly ending.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

FulsomFrank posted:

In TM you are absolutely chewing through the chaff to get to the wheat but:

1) different cards are wheat every playthrough based on your corp, the gamestate and the timing of you seeing the cards (again, the design misses of the always good and always bad cards notwithstanding)
2) different cards are wheat and chaff for different players based on their corps, gamestate and timing so you have to evaluate every card for value for yourself but also for value for the player(s) you are passing them to

Also yeah if you're not drafting it's all random and a very bad game. Gotta draft to play TM.

My group fell in love with the game and so we're playing it once or twice per week for the last couple months, usually 4 player, sometimes 3 player. Games take about 3 hours to get through, sometimes a little quicker. And that's with one player taking easily twice as long as everyone else. One of the things we love about it is that the endstate of the game looks very, very different each and every game. Game definitely takes longer when you are inexperienced because you spend more time reading and thinking about the cards and also new players get very focused on engine building rather than scoring points to get ahead and then when ahead ending the game so they win. When we started even 4 player games went to generation 11, 12 or even 13. Nowadays a 4 player game ends on generation 9 latest, and we've done as early as 6, where 8 seems to be the average. 3 player games take about a generation longer.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 5, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
My tip for getting the most out of TM is to not play it and instead play one of the many games that do what it is trying to do but actually respect the players' time and table space like It's A Wonderful World or Race For the Galaxy .

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Speaking of Race for the Galaxy, that has one deck that's not tiered, but in that game, it's not that much of an issue.

I'm too busy to think about it, but what makes a uniform big deck work in RftG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

In RftG if you aren't getting the cards you want, you have ways to keep looking with a repeatable action, which you can improve as well. This isn't possible in TfM, which has a fixed selection of cards (regardless of drafts or no draft).