Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Last night my two year old slept through the night uninterrupted for the third time in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Muir posted:

Last night my two year old slept through the night uninterrupted for the third time in his life.

thats huge, congrats

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Muir posted:

Lucky. Hoping this continues for you guys and I'm hoping we get there soon

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We ran out of diapers and so it was d-day for our FOUR YEAR OLD to stop going to bed in diapers and start learning how to poo in the toilet (he did it twice, about a year ago and never again). We put dog pee pads on his bed on top of a waterproof sheet, and a sheet on the pee pads, more pee pads on that sheet then another sheet on top so we have a waterproof bed with sheets we can take off to reveal fresh sheets underneath.

He hasn't poo'd in 3 days so we're expecting an accident soon, since for sure he's not going to start pooing in the toilet until he shits the bed in his sleep or something. He's had about 2 accidents per night since we started, and comes into our room at 1am or so. Apparently this will take a little while before everything is normal again!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Muir posted:

Same! :toot:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
It must have been all the energy he burned melting crayons into my heating duct. I'm gonna say that's a worthwhile tradeoff and if that's what it takes every night, I'm down for it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Folks, how do you get your child to do something they must, but refuse to do in the moment?

This morning my son refused to get out of bed and get ready for daycare. I know the usual tricks: give him two choices (both of which he has to do anyways), positive reinforcement (can have a treat with breakfast), negative reinforcement (can't play with toys after school), etc., but he wouldn't budge. So I started to just, dress him, which was fine when he was younger but he's old enough now that he found that to be boundary violating and proceeded to have a panic attack. Usually with a tantrum we wait it out and/or walk him through it, but there wasn't time for that this morning. He ended up staying home, which wasn't ideal and not a precedent I wanted to set. Thankfully, he's not usually like this.

Part of the problem is that he's old enough to realize that he can just say "no" and not do things we ask him to do, but he doesn't really understand the concept of consequences yet either.

I don't want to do things that cause him to panic, but sometimes I'm out of other options. Fortunately today was flexible enough that he didn't have to go to daycare, but we don't have that kind of flexibility on all days.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 5, 2023

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts on this too. My 2 year old is mostly cooperative but sometimes she won’t budge for anything at all. When this happens (and I’ve already exhausted all the other options) I tell her that there are two ways for this to go, and by acting this way she is choosing the hard way, and I apologize profusely but then physically pick her up and force her into the clothes etc. When she realizes she won’t get her way she usually cries hysterically but at least stops physically resisting, so I can get her ready while feeling like an absolute bastard

Afterward I give her a big hug and say sorry but we needed to get dressed or whatever, and usually she’ll calm down and then it’s like nothing happened.

Again, this is only after absolutely everything else fails. I also fear what will happen when I’m actually physically incapable of getting her to go along. Hopefully by then I’ll be able to negotiate more with her

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Kiddo knows nothing about Mario but got a peach out of a happy meal today, so we proceeded to play 100 questions with the characters on the box.

Why doesn't Bowser just eat everybody??

Ya know kid...I don't know. I really don't. But he should.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I have carried my not-wanting-to-go-to-daycare toddler out of the house screaming on more than one occasion. She's usually over it by the time we roll up.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Same. One of the most soul draining fights to get her dressed recently was followed by her waving at me and going "bye daddy! I love you!" At dropoff.

You fucker. I know you're just acting nice so I'll come back for you.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I tell my kid: x is happening. We don’t have a choice about it. You can help me do x, or I will do x for you. So like - “we are getting dressed and going to daycares. You can help me dress you, and pick out your shirt, or I will do these things for you. They are happening. Please decide how you want this to go.”

If there’s screaming and refusal to pick, I will do it for them (as calmly as possible, heh). This is after I’ve exhausted all the usual options, as you’ve done, of offering choices or rewards or whatever. It can help to use empathetic language, like - “I understand you don’t want to get dressed and go to daycare. Sometimes mommy doesn’t want to do that either, but we have to do it because (insert whatever reason here). So I’m going to help you do it now, because it’s the time when it has to happen.”

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Distraction and then regroup/refocus on the problem.

I find our kid is overly focused on (not) doing something that it helps to get them to think of something different and then go back to the problem with a clearer mind.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My daughter does mostly good with counting when nothing else has worked. I will start with asking her to do something, if she says no I will give options, if she still says no I will tell her about a consequence, and if she doesn’t do it by the count of three, that consequence will happen. So like, if I ask her to put on her shoes a few times and she ignores me or says no, I will ask if she wants her X shoes or her Y shoes, and if she’s still refusing, I will say something like “Pick what shoes you want and put them on or I will do it for you on the count of three.” Then I very slowly count, reminding her of the consequences. If I get to three I carry through, which is often met with a tantrum.
Now that she knows what counting is, I will ask a few times, offer a choice, and I don’t even have to come up with a consequence, I just say “Do I need to count?” She goes “OH FINE” and will do it.
Every now and then I still need to do things for her, but I make sure I tell her what I’m going to do before I do it.

Opinion time: Apparently when my 3.5 yo daughter was with her dad last weekend, she randomly said “Mr. A teaches about smooches!” Mr. A being a teacher at daycare who is only there during the summer, as he is a legit kindergarten teacher during the school year. She hasn’t seen him in over four months. Her dad is upset and is telling me that it makes him feel icky. I asked my daughter about it and she said Mr A was sitting in his chair and gave her a smooch on the cheek. I’m not thrilled about teachers kissing my kids, but more from an infection standpoint. Her dad is thinking this is a creep situation and wants to talk to the daycare. Any thoughts about daycare providers/teachers giving kids cheek kisses?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah, that's weird. It doesn't necessarily mean he's a creep but he needs better professional boundaries. Also herpes.

If it just happened I might ask the director about it, phrased more as a surprise than as a concern, and if the director is on top of things he would be appropriately reprimanded either way. But since he's gone and may not even be coming back, I don't know if it matters.

Now, if this was a female staff, would she still be considered a creep for the same behavior? I think it's unprofessional regardless, but I also imagine fewer people would come to the "creep" conclusion.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Bring it up. There may be avenues to investigate and chase it up with where he's working now.

ETA: they typically won't assume the worst unless there's actual cause, but they should investigate. It's often more about kids memory and context than actual ick

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 5, 2023

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think kisses are inappropriate in daycare. I’d be uncomfortable if a teacher kissed one of my twins, even if it’s just on the cheek or if it’s just kissing a boo-boo to make it feel better.

It’s probably a bit unfair but I’d definitely feel even less comfortable if it was a man kissing my daughter.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

That’s weird to me, a dad. Who wants to be kissing other peoples kids?

Also, it is borderline-paranoid, but I am de facto a bit more aware of male adults who voluntarily choose to spend time around a lot of children. There are for sure saints out there, but it was pretty eye opening as an adult to discover how many people I know were inappropriately touched or harassed by a teacher/coach/organizer/etc. and didn’t really process it until later in life.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 5, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's a career like any other, don't make it weird.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My toddlers been on a hot streak of waking up for 90 minutes every night. I think this is the 5th night and goddamn the rollercoaster of emotions is wild from the initial wake up frustration to snuggly warmness to despair as the clock ticks to final victory.

And then realizing that now he's asleep and I'm awake as gently caress :cry:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
good morning

Kiddo woke up and crawled into my bed at some time into the night. Then he had an accident and peed all over it. Thanks for the gift, kid.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My daughter's daycare key teacher gives her kisses on the cheek. She's the only one that does it to our knowledge. We are fine with it because we know her well, she was our son's key teacher too (she kissed his cheek too) and our daughter has a strong bond with her and basically views her as Daycare Mum. Would be less keen on it with other people, it'd be weird if it was happening in our sons older class so I think it might be something that's okay with us specific to just her.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My toddler has finally figured out he has ALL the power to get out of bed, to resist naps, to refuse just about anything lol we’re done for.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cailleask posted:

I tell my kid: x is happening. We don’t have a choice about it. You can help me do x, or I will do x for you. So like - “we are getting dressed and going to daycares. You can help me dress you, and pick out your shirt, or I will do these things for you. They are happening. Please decide how you want this to go.”

If there’s screaming and refusal to pick, I will do it for them (as calmly as possible, heh). This is after I’ve exhausted all the usual options, as you’ve done, of offering choices or rewards or whatever. It can help to use empathetic language, like - “I understand you don’t want to get dressed and go to daycare. Sometimes mommy doesn’t want to do that either, but we have to do it because (insert whatever reason here). So I’m going to help you do it now, because it’s the time when it has to happen.”

This is similar to the escalation strategy we use. A choice is given, we will prompt again that the choice needs to be made, we we warn that we will do the thing if he doesn't, we start to do the thing (which typically causes him to scramble to do the thing), then if he stops midway we will continue to do the thing while telling him we are doing it but that he can do the next step.

We will occasionally get a meltdown but it typically ends very quickly. For example me picking him up and strapping him into the car seat because he wasn't getting in himself might cause him to cry/scream but by the time I walk around to the driver's seat and get in it is usually over.

We are try to be consistent about terminology. "We need to..." means something has to happen. He has picked up on it and now when we say "We need to go to X" he will counter with "I need to play!"

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Our 4 year old got a piggy bank for Christmas and since he struggles to stay in bed until his Hatch nightlight turns green (we’ve tried magnets and whiteboards with calendars/check marks…nothing works), we’re toying with the idea of monetary incentives. Nothing big, just a penny each time he stays in his room until his light turns green at 6:45.

Are we loving ourselves in the long run here?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nwin posted:

Our 4 year old got a piggy bank for Christmas and since he struggles to stay in bed until his Hatch nightlight turns green (we’ve tried magnets and whiteboards with calendars/check marks…nothing works), we’re toying with the idea of monetary incentives. Nothing big, just a penny each time he stays in his room until his light turns green at 6:45.

Are we loving ourselves in the long run here?

It definitely doesn't work with adults at least. Social rules, like not leaving your kid at daycare past the closing time, work much better than monetary punishments. Basically it changes the offense from "I am doing the wrong thing." to "I am trading money for the ability to do the thing I want."

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have no issue taking either of my kids to school in their pajamas if they won't get ready. I'm not losing my job or getting reprimanded for being late because they decide to fight me.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Tv Talk

I love Yo Gabba Gabba. It is a 2010s era children's show done in LA. Produced by DJ Lance and the dudes from Devo. It is structured well, has high production value, and good lessons. My son was born in LA and I like showing him this lil cultural link and I guess likes it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i7WgHw4Wbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pdTxmmfn40

Bootlegs of their songs don't seem to get content flagged. Wildbrain publishes full episodes and hour long compilations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Muir posted:

Please god let me get there one day.

Our kid continues to wake up in the middle of the night. Even with sleep training though its gotten better. The lack of sleep effects me enough that I seriously worry about my health and trying to have a second kid. Also I'm tired of my in-laws giving me poo poo and advice for my kid not sleeping through the night. We do everything by the book, a set schedule, a regular routine, she just seems to be a light sleeper.

We start bedtime around 6:30 and shes usually asleep by 7-7:15ish. I dont think thats exceptionally early for a 17 month old that needs to be at daycare by 7:45AM. But my in-laws keep saying its to early, fuckers.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Our kid continues to wake up in the middle of the night. Even with sleep training though its gotten better. The lack of sleep effects me enough that I seriously worry about my health and trying to have a second kid. Also I'm tired of my in-laws giving me poo poo and advice for my kid not sleeping through the night. We do everything by the book, a set schedule, a regular routine, she just seems to be a light sleeper.

We start bedtime around 6:30 and shes usually asleep by 7-7:15ish. I dont think thats exceptionally early for a 17 month old that needs to be at daycare by 7:45AM. But my in-laws keep saying its to early, fuckers.

Not too early at all, 11-12 hours of sleep overnight is the norm for babies/toddlers I believe. My kid (26 months) is in bed at 7 PM and we don’t enter his room again until 7 AM. He usually wakes up closer to 6:00 or 6:30 but he lies there or talks to himself until we come in. It sounds like we’ve been very lucky not to have any sleep issues beyond leaky overnight diapers.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't know, with a two hour nap at daycare my kids don't sleep more than nine hours at night. Attempts to get them to sleep earlier generally results in overnight wakeups. Sure, guidelines say they should be getting more sleep than that, but that's how they are.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Grandparents advice about sleep schedules can, in general, gently caress right off

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tom Smykowski posted:

Grandparents advice...can, in general, gently caress right off

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

:hmmyes:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't know, with a two hour nap at daycare my kids don't sleep more than nine hours at night. Attempts to get them to sleep earlier generally results in overnight wakeups. Sure, guidelines say they should be getting more sleep than that, but that's how they are.

Yeah maybe my kid is just weird.

The thing is shes usually exhausted by bed time, rubbing her eyes, yawning, getting supper bouncy and silly trying to stay awake. And she only naps for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half during the day.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

like four or five months ago my son randomly decided that his 7 pm bedtime simply wouldn't do. now he won't go to bed before 8:30 and sometimes tries to stay up even later than that. we have a firm rule that lights have to be out at 8:30 though, i'm not going to budge on that.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

My first basically had this exact sleep routine until 2years. My second almost 3 now, but he's been on the 8pm-7am lights out in bed schedule for a long time now and he's often still up rockin about for an hour in the dark til 9pm.

I think your inlaws can shut up, because if your kid goes to sleep when you put them to bed, then that sounds like a perfectly fine bedtime to me, tbh.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
In laws have dementia and think toddlers can go from Family Feud directly to Head on Pillow sleepy time. Nah bitch, there is toothbrushing, and clothes changing and moisturizing goop with a potty attempt fit in between all of that and story time.

They tell the story of how they put their kids to sleep by driving around in the car seat but they never say what time that drive happened.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

KirbyKhan posted:

They tell the story of how they put their kids to sleep by driving around in the car seat but they never say what time that drive happened.
Probably right after they rubbed the kid's gums with crushed up benadryl or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

And a splash of whiskey