Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CODChimera posted:

i still think there's a decent chance that the microplastics end up helping us get outta this jam

narrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

just putting this on top of a new page

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The Ghost of Robert Mitchum: Beef Plastic, It's What's For Dinner

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Microplastics are delicious, get over yourself.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Microplastics make it possible (to give yourself cancer or something probably)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
thank you for filling our bellies microplastics 🙏 😊

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Crimes Of The Future-rear end world

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hubbert posted:

thank you for filling our bellies microplastics 🙏 😊
HP/MP restored... but you're still hangry

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

microplastics got you waking with microwood

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Microplastics are delicious, get over yourself.

A plateful of plastic: Visualising the amount of microplastic we eat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

People could be ingesting the equivalent of a credit card of plastic a week, a recent study by WWF International concluded, mainly in drinking water but also via sources like shellfish, which tend to be eaten whole so the plastic in their digestive systems is also consumed.

Based on the findings of the study, Reuters created the following images to illustrate what this amount of plastic actually looks like over various time periods

i doubt I’m getting that much, you can filter the water and avoid shellfish.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
it's fantastic ... microplastic!

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

I once cleaned a farm field that had sludge dumped on it. There was nothing micro about the plastics, we pulled a few cubic meter of trash just from the surface. From what I was told, only farmers that didn’t give a single poo poo about pollution if it meant a quick buck would do this because the trash would come back every time you plow. I’m sure this means a majority of them are doing it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Laterite posted:

You will lose your hair, get cancers everywhere

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Devastation, this world is our creation.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

this just makes me realize I was wrong to worry about our dogs chewing on plastic poo poo

here doggies, eat all the plastic

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

more microplastics means more iron plastic

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

SplitSoul posted:

lol

lmao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I wonder how much plastic contacts leave behind in eyes.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

I wonder how much plastic contacts leave behind in eyes.

COVID causing memory loss

mawarannahr posted:

beat the curve by putting contacts in your eyes daily, imo

https://www.meta.org/papers/in-vitro-assessment-of-medical-device-toxicity/17224676

quote:

In Vitro Assessment of Medical Device Toxicity: Interactions of Benzalkonium Chloride With Silicone-Containing and p-HEMA???Containing Hydrogel Contact Lens Materials
February 2007Eye & Contact Lens Science & Clinical Practice 33(1):26-37
DOI:10.1097/01.icl.0000229775.17844.3f
SourcePubMed

To analyze the interactions of benzalkonium chloride (BAK) with silicone-containing (lotrafilcon A and galyfilcon A) and p-HEMA-containing (etafilcon A and vifilcon A) hydrogel contact lenses and to examine the possibility of using sodium fluorescein permeability assay (SFPA), 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol- 2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay and the bovine lens assay in conjunction with confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM) as a battery of in vitro alternatives to evaluate the potential toxicity of soft contact lenses. Four soft contact lens types (Focus Monthly [vifilcon A], Focus NIGHT & DAY [lotrafilcon A], ACUVUE Advance With Hydraclear [galyfilcon A], and SUREVUE [etafilcon A]) were soaked for 24 hours in various concentrations of BAK (1%, 0.1%, 0.01%, and 0.001%) in 20-mL glass vials. After 24 hours, the lenses were gently washed in Hanks' Balanced Salt Solution (HBSS), placed in 5 mL of HBSS, and incubated for a total of 7 days at 37 degrees C, 5% CO2. BAK released into HBSS (i.e., the extract) was recovered from the vials and used as the test chemical in the SFPA (epithelium integrity), MTT assay (cellular viability), and the bovine lens assay with CLSM (mitochondrial metabolism and optical properties). The amount of BAK extracted from the various contact lenses was measured using an Abbe refractometer. Negative controls consisted of HBSS and contact lenses subjected to the same conditions as the treated contact lenses, but without BAK. Extracts obtained from soaking Focus Monthly lenses in BAK caused the most damage to the epithelium and mitochondrial metabolism. However, at 0.1% BAK extraction, all lens extracts showed increased levels of back vertex distance variability of the cultured bovine lens. Unexpectedly, lenses extracted with HBSS showed SFPA and MTT assay responses and an observed effect on the bovine lens epithelium visualized by CLSM, indicating that unknown chemical agents may be leached from contact lens polymers.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
:hmmyes:

thank you

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I mean, what’s so bad about eating plastic anyway??? I should be able to eat whatever I want

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Pussy Quipped posted:

I mean, what’s so bad about eating plastic anyway??? I should be able to eat whatever I want

the problem isn't that you can't eat plastic, you can, the problem is that if you don't want to eat plastic it's quite difficult

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the thread title for a while was "love to feel uncomfortable getting a glass of water" and that pretty much sums it up. it is on the ever-growing list of things that i can't even afford to worry about.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the world was seeded by an artificial life form using a long term plan to create humans who will eventually evolve into a bio synthetic human plastic hybrid

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

How effective is your average Brita or Pur water filter against microplastics? I think most consumer models use some type of charcoal filtration, are the plastics too tiny to be filtered out? I know there are ever smaller plastic particles so you're not going to be golden, just wondering roughly which percentage of micro/nanoplastics will get filtered out.

a cursory Google search makes it seem like reverse osmosis is the only game in town for serious water drinkers

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I have drank water out of 5 gallon plastic bottles, piped through metal and plastic tubing, for decades

and it's

yup

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

palindrome posted:

How effective is your average Brita or Pur water filter against microplastics? I think most consumer models use some type of charcoal filtration, are the plastics too tiny to be filtered out? I know there are ever smaller plastic particles so you're not going to be golden, just wondering roughly which percentage of micro/nanoplastics will get filtered out.

a cursory Google search makes it seem like reverse osmosis is the only game in town for serious water drinkers

depends on if their filter is also made out of plastic

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

:rip:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

palindrome posted:

I got one that looks like this and it’s fine enough to filter out bacteria through its membrane before it hits the carbon filter.

these parts are plastic but the pitcher is glass. mainly got it cause water here tastes bad.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
reverse osmosis owns, do it

you're still going to eat and breath plastic but at least you dont have to drink it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

idiots, that just means there are more microplastics for me!!!!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the navy dumped a ton of jet fuel into our water and all the beaches are made of plastic now

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

all u nerds worrying about microplastics when galaxy brains like me are eating macroplastics

a credit card in a week is amateur hour, get on my level and eat a credit card every hour on the hour

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Eating debit cards is the cornerstone of my savings plan.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Laterite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkdbKWHGzCQ

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

blatman posted:

all u nerds worrying about microplastics when galaxy brains like me are eating macroplastics

a credit card in a week is amateur hour, get on my level and eat a credit card every hour on the hour

this is how you’ll beat the threat of microplastic debt that avoiders will accrue. you just have to live long enough for the banks to close.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

don’t farmers like just use plastic sheets for whatever reason and then till it all into soil? worrying about tiny poop plastic seems like it is skipping a few steps.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZmf8F1XQ_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if we make it another 20 years im gonna tell my nephew these were Adam Friedland and Nick