Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Dan Bishop invested in Gab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

“I can’t believe someone would tweet something racist!” I say while giving money to help start up Gab, the neo-nazi twitter

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tnega posted:

Complaining about tweets is praxis.

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1611052838100078601

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Showtime!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
based on the applause for the nominations of Donalds it sounds like Kevin is, indeed, hosed again

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Youremother posted:

The keyhole is what sells this one. You know that every member has a key and if they all use them at the same time they arm the Texas Defense System (giant robot cowboy?)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow they are going fast today.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

KM?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kevin McCarthy

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Kevin McCarthy

edit: drat you to hell piell you've made a powerful enemy on this day

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Piell posted:

Kevin McCarthy

For some reason my brain farted and I thought Mc was his first name :negative:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
time for cloud to limit break Kev again

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you want to know if McCarthy flipped any of the CFC, the early guys in the roll call are

Biggs
Bishop
Boebert
Brecheen
Cloud
Clyde
Crane
Donalds
Gaetz

All the Bs voted for Donalds so welp.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
SEVEN! SEVEN FAILS!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Yep. Cloud brought Donalds to 5. McCarthy fails again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
horns.aiff

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kammat posted:

SEVEN! SEVEN FAILS!

SEVEN FOR KEVIN!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Youremother posted:

The keyhole is what sells this one. You know that every member has a key and if they all use them at the same time they arm the Texas Defense System (giant robot cowboy?)

Hell yeah, bring on the robot cowboys.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

time for cloud to limit break Kev again

Extremely appropriate that Cloud kills Keviroth on vote VII.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone reboot the counting clerk she broke

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Randalor posted:

So... what, 6 more votes then he's in the top 5?

The record since the civil war is nine ballots, so he's on track to set a modern record at least.

You know, we talk a lot since the escalator about "constitutional crisis" but this is what one looks like. There's a reason this poo poo basically hasn't happened since the Civil War.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 5, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Could they vote in Jeffries/McCarthy, get everyone properly seated, then vote of no-confidence? What happens? Do they get unseated? Can business resume without a speaker then?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Natty Ninefingers posted:

What happens if the Clerk up and quits, or has a heart attack? Seems like the Clerk is voted in by the House, and if there is no House….

This is a very good question. From what I can tell there is no contingency for the clerk up and quitting in the period between the adjournment of the old session and election of the next speaker. First order of business of the newly elected speaker (after swearing everyone in) is to nominate a clerk and call a vote on it.

Realistically I would imagine one of these two folks would step up: Robert Reeves is Deputy Clerk and Gigi Kelaher is Senior Advisor to the Clerk.

Though while looking into this, I found this entry on wikipedia and uh... wow. This could get interesting.

quote:

Disputes in 19th century

In the 19th century, the power of the preceding House Clerk to organize the House played a significant role at the beginning of several congresses.[6] Following the 1838 elections, at the first meeting of the 26th Congress in December 1839, House Clerk Hugh Garland omitted the names of five Whigs from New Jersey from the roll call. After days of debate, the Whigs were not seated, effectively creating a Democratic majority in a closely divided House. Only then was the roll call completed and a Speaker elected.[6]: 15–17 

In 1863, at the beginning of the 38th Congress during the Civil War, House Clerk Emerson Etheridge called the roll, excluding 16 members from five pro-Union states (Maryland, Missouri, West Virginia, Kansas, and Oregon) while including three members from Louisiana.[6]: 24  The effort failed, a motion was made to add the missing delegations, and a Speaker was then elected.[6]: 25  Edward McPherson was then elected to replace Etheridge as Clerk for the 38th Congress.

Two years later, in December 1865 as the path of Reconstruction was being determined, McPherson omitted the names of members-elect from Tennessee, Virginia, and Louisiana from the roll for the 39th Congress, and allowed no interference or interruption during his call. After heated debate, in which a member-elect from Tennessee tried to gain floor recognition but was denied, a motion was made by Thaddeus Stevens to proceed to the election of Speaker, which was eventually agreed to.[6]: 26–27  This enabled the Radical Republicans to firmly control Congress, ultimately imposing stricter conditions on readmission of Southern states and enabling Congress to override many vetoes from President Andrew Johnson.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So how exactly does the whole "rules package" that I've seen mentioned a few times in regards to McCarthy's concessions work? Is it "The person elected as speaker provides the rules for that session of congress" or is it something provided by the leader of the majority party?

If Jeffries or Donalds win, do they get to introduce a different set of rules from what McCarthy was making concessions on?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Raenir Salazar posted:

Could they vote in Jeffries/McCarthy, get everyone properly seated, then vote of no-confidence? What happens? Do they get unseated? Can business resume without a speaker then?

I believe (could be wrong) the House literally cannot do anything without a Speaker. Someone would need to be elected to the seat before things resumed.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
TRUMP

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Randalor posted:

So how exactly does the whole "rules package" that I've seen mentioned a few times in regards to McCarthy's concessions work? Is it "The person elected as speaker provides the rules for that session of congress" or is it something provided by the leader of the majority party?

If Jeffries or Donalds win, do they get to introduce a different set of rules from what McCarthy was making concessions on?

Yes

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Lol Gaetz voted for Trump

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lmao

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

GAETZ WITH THE DJT!

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Lol Trump

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

We all knew Speaker Trump was inevitable. Look into your heart.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Don't blame me, I voted for Donald J. Trump

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
I hate that man so much

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Piell posted:

Lol Gaetz voted for Trump

Surprised he waited until the 7th vote before blowing his load like that. Guess we know what the floor is for Gaetz's preferred numbers.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
"The chaos party wants tangible rewards and is actually acting in good faith" I tweet for the New York Times as they make joke votes on day 3.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wait I'm not watching at the moment because I'm on a conference call but I thought they voted to adjourn?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's still funny after 7 times ahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

smoobles posted:

It's still funny after 7 times ahahaha

https://youtu.be/BdU7sH2LdMk