Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

PATIENTS can remove the tube themselves? Holy hell, that must be incredibly uncomfortable if not extremely painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So happy to hear the good news. Hope the trend continues.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

So so amazing.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Fuckin’ A, so glad to hear he’s coming around and seems to be OK from a neuro standpoint. Amazing that those first responders on the field were able to bring him back from the dead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I wonder if he had some underlying thing that made him at higher risk or if the hit he took was just in the perfect spot. I doubt they will know.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I wonder if he had some underlying thing that made him at higher risk or if the hit he took was just in the perfect spot. I doubt they will know.

I poked around the literature and it doesn't seem that commotio cordis is even slightly correlated with congenital defects or hypertrophy or anything, really.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
If I ever wake up and have to pull a breathing tube out of my throat, I'm going to beat the loving dog poo poo out of someone. And by that I mean I will wheeze angrily and point.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

PATIENTS can remove the tube themselves? Holy hell, that must be incredibly uncomfortable if not extremely painful.

It's basically that scene in Matrix when Neo wakes up. And by "can" I don't know what they're allowed/supposed to do it, it's just like....if there's no nurse or doctor around and they want it out, it's not like anyone is gonna stop them.

This is all good news

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Narcissus1916 posted:

The last neuro intact save I had, I defibbed him out of ventricular tachycardia in a hotel lobby, he woke up, snatched the tube out (with an inflated cuff :stonk:) and vomited seafood everywhere screaming WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

The last neuro intact save I had, I defibbed him out of ventricular tachycardia in a hotel lobby, he woke up, snatched the tube out (with an inflated cuff :stonk:) and vomited seafood everywhere screaming WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED

Lol.

That is intensely relatable.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

acidx posted:

If I ever wake up and have to pull a breathing tube out of my throat, I'm going to beat the loving dog poo poo out of someone. And by that I mean I will wheeze angrily and point.

Or you will be Neo, emerging into an unknown world after taking the red pill, and beginning an adventure you never could have imagined.

e;fb

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Very happy to hear Damar is improving. I just saw his GFM is at $7.2m!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Great news

Modern medicine does work wonders

:emptyquote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl55gVXsBZE

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Saw a bunch of unread posts and was a bit worried. So glad it's good news!

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yep and it can permanently gently caress up your throat. My brother came to during a procedure and ripped his out.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Narcissus1916 posted:

Skinny, small or drug dependent is what I’ve seen as risk factors when other nurses have a self extubation.

I’ve seen one girl try to use her knees.

The drug dependent ones require higher doses of drugs to sedate but you can’t keep that same dosing while breathing trial going.

So you tell the doctor like hey maybe stick close so we can easily eval. Do they? Nope. The gently caress off across the unit.

So then you’ve got to try to telling them to chill, give small doses of fentanyl for pain/anxiety but it’s never enough. Then they’ll start to cough or bite the tube. But biting the tube causes it to alarm which works them up more. Then you gotta strap em down so they won’t just pull it out.

Then the doctor comes in finally and gets all the credit for releasing them from hell and the patient calls you the mother fucker

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I honestly can't believe the news. I really thought the worst outcome was going to come to pass.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Really great news. I hope he makes a full recovery.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Weebly posted:

However, since it appears he suffered a lung injury you need to keep him as synched with the vent as he heals.

Once he’s good you can try completely turning off sedation and putting his vent into a mode where he breathes on his own. If he gets tired you put the stuff back on and do it again later like a workout.

What would they use for sedation in that? Anything special or just like Versed/Ketamine/Propafol etc

also good news!

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Love this news. Also regarding the weird to us phrasing of nuerologically intact

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColeyHarvey/status/1611031460164808707

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sudden unconsciousness or head trauma is so wild to try to visualize for me. From Hamlin's perspective, prob he was just out there playing football, got hit, stood up, felt woozy, blacks out, wakes up in hospital. Luckily merciful from his perspective, if that makes sense to anyone. Will have to have what happened to him explained, he won't even know how much time has passed. So crazy to think about.

Hopefully he doesn't have any permanent damage (though 10min with no oxygen to the brain uh isn't great...) but if he is able to make a full recovery I do think about the cool moment it will be where he learns about the success of his charity drive.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
See told yall he was going to be fine

As an mri tech I loving hate doing intubated neuro patients cause it's always after they start lightening sedation and they are always grabbing for the tube it's just like Jesus what is wrong with you people just loving sleep em for the tube time. RAS -3 bare minimum for all mri imo :colbert:

Or even better they do the mri AFTER extubation and the patient is all hosed up and delirius and all I can do is smugly look at the nurse and say well looks like they'll need to intubate this guy if they want mri.

I often wonder if I just work at a very bad hospital.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
that's awesome news!

also all the medical people in this thread you are saints because i would frankly rather just let people die then endure any of what any of you are talking about

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Sudden unconsciousness or head trauma is so wild to try to visualize for me. From Hamlin's perspective, prob he was just out there playing football, got hit, stood up, felt woozy, blacks out, wakes up in hospital. Luckily merciful from his perspective, if that makes sense to anyone. Will have to have what happened to him explained, he won't even know how much time has passed. So crazy to think about.

Hopefully he doesn't have any permanent damage (though 10min with no oxygen to the brain uh isn't great...) but if he is able to make a full recovery I do think about the cool moment it will be where he learns about the success of his charity drive.

He was getting oxygen to his brain via CPR

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

It now seems a little more unlikely that he had 10 minutes of anoxia, given this result. Probably the CPR was successful at keeping him circulating enough until they got him bagged and defibbed.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

HELL YES

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Asproigerosis posted:

See told yall he was going to be fine

I mean... I think we have a large gap b/w the current news and "going to be fine." But les hope.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BonoMan posted:

I mean... I think we have a large gap b/w the current news and "going to be fine." But les hope.

True, though neurollogically intact does a lot of heavy lifting. Especially when it's not just a family member saying he opened his eyes. Cause in the past 2 weeks I've had 3 cardiac arrest patients with anoxic brain injuries that were doing some minimal movements that could "trick" family, but the mri don't lie those brains were completely toast and the best case scenario would be persistent vegetative state.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Already been said a bunch, but it's amazing how big a relief this is.

beep by grandpa posted:

Sudden unconsciousness or head trauma is so wild to try to visualize for me. From Hamlin's perspective, prob he was just out there playing football, got hit, stood up, felt woozy, blacks out, wakes up in hospital.

Same. Did his brain go from making that tackle to suddenly being in a fog with someone saying "squeeze my hand if you can understand me"? If he has any conscious thought to suss out what the gently caress happened, he has to assume it was some sort of awful tackle with possible spinal damage, not a one in a billion chance his heart stopped from a routine tackle.

Either way, so loving bizarre to time travel from the first quarter of the game to all of a sudden you're waking up and seeing "pray for #3" everywhere.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I hope he is cheeky enough to give us what we crave

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Already been said a bunch, but it's amazing how big a relief this is.

Same. Did his brain go from making that tackle to suddenly being in a fog with someone saying "squeeze my hand if you can understand me"? If he has any conscious thought to suss out what the gently caress happened, he has to assume it was some sort of awful tackle with possible spinal damage, not a one in a billion chance his heart stopped from a routine tackle.

Either way, so loving bizarre to time travel from the first quarter of the game to all of a sudden you're waking up and seeing "pray for #3" everywhere.

Got carted off the field during HS Football from a head injury that produced amnesia but not unconsciousness (from the sideline; trainer and then EMT realized I basically had no idea what was going on and immediately put me on a board). That was like blacking out from drinking and then coming out of it again, there was no clear spot where things stopped just bits and pieces that get less cohesive as they get closer to the gap in the middle.

Also got KO'd clean twice and was immediately alert and lucid as soon as I came to. Once from an IED and another during a boxing match. Both of those times it was like someone skipped forward in a youtube video; I have a clear memory of a "final frame" then a very clear memory of suddenly trying to figure out how I was on the floor and why my head hurt so bad.

Curious where this sort of experience would fall.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lifespan posted:

Very happy to hear Damar is improving. I just saw his GFM is at $7.2m!

The family should film his live reaction to being told that.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Weebly posted:

Oh no you very much can be.

I worked ICU for 10 years doing exactly what is going on with him right now.

Since he’s past the normal post cardiac arrest protocols, you lighten sedation and look for responses like eye opening or hand grasps. Then if their still synching with the vent you continue to decrease the sedation and hope they can do more meaningful interaction like nodding or writing.

However, since it appears he suffered a lung injury you need to keep him as synched with the vent as he heals.

Once he’s good you can try completely turning off sedation and putting his vent into a mode where he breathes on his own. If he gets tired you put the stuff back on and do it again later like a workout.

Tube comes out when the doctor seems it worth the risk or the nurse isn’t there and the patient removes it themselves. Some doctors I’ve worked with were cowards and had to be 100% sure the patient would be fine and would let them breath for like 1-2 hours as they do rounds. That is very frustrating as a nurse cause that patient is very much stressed out since they’re breathing thru a straw.

Thanks this makes sense. Sorry I wasn't trying to be misleading, coming from the EMT perspective where people can quite quickly go from completely unresponsive to apeshit clawing at their throat barfing everywhere

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So are we talking day-to-day, divisional round.....?

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

MJeff posted:

So are we talking day-to-day, divisional round.....?

Someone nailed it in the GDT thread and said he was already cleared to return by Miami soooo

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1611071467797504003?s=20&t=PpRdrqiVcQ0T4Dsjy0Quaw

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Seems like an important clarification

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1611071645812154369

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

wonder what they told him

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

gently caress an a this sounds about as good as could possibly be hoped for :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

wonder what they told him

The players won