Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

haveblue posted:

More like dead bath and beyond
bed, bath, and the Great Beyond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Short squeeze! Buy the dip! Diamond hands!

That stock was $36/share during the meme days

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

How blue is Michigan?

Dems have had governor for awhile, just this last election they finally took back the state house and senate after anti-gerrymandering legislation passed and was upheld for redistricting. They've had Dem senators for as long as I can remember (looks like Spence Abraham got in during the 94 republican wave then promptly lost, otherwise its all dem going back to at least the 70s).

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

I'm not sure this is the great piece of evidence you think it is. The creator of the documentary was in CNN recently and he both-sidesed CNN and FOX in the same brush stroke so you can't trust his mediation of information, clearly.

Here is the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOdqM7Towc

I'd hardly call what he said as 'both-sidesing' but I guess you're willing to throw the legitimacy of what he filmed under the bus, because you don't like that he called out CNN as competing for views and ramping up fear mongering?

Fox and CNN are both 24h news networks, they both make money off of viewership. CNN isn't as left as Fox is right, but CNN sure as gently caress loves the current status quo as much as every single centrist dem.

If you'd like to quote a specific line we could further debate how you think his belief here tainted the family he interviewed, but I don't see it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Lib and let die posted:

I'm not sure this is the great piece of evidence you think it is. The creator of the documentary was in CNN recently and he both-sidesed CNN and FOX in the same brush stroke so you can't trust his mediation of information, clearly.

Don't be a weirdbeard about other people in completely unrelated posts, please.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
andrew callahan goes and interviews people who hunt for horny bigfoots in the forests of wisconsin so he has a particular perspective on journalism as a business and large corporate news channels

him interviewing people in the middle of a riot deserves some kind of new award

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPeD2miyF8

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Relevant to some of the discussion around radicalization (although not touching on Gen Z):

https://www.ft.com/content/c361e372-769e-45cd-a063-f5c0a7767cf4

A recent article on how Millennials aren't becoming more conservative as they age, unlike Gen X, Boomers, and the Silent Gen.

The article dives into the different factors that could be causing this, with the main takeaway that cohort effects (variations resulting from the unique experience/exposure of a group of subjects (cohort) as they move across time) have caused Millennials to develop different values than previous generations.

Hard to say how Gen Z is trending but it's notable that they are more left-leaning than previous generations at the same age.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

koolkal posted:

Relevant to some of the discussion around radicalization (although not touching on Gen Z):

A recent article on how Millennials aren't becoming more conservative as they age, unlike Gen X, Boomers, and the Silent Gen.

The article dives into the different factors that could be causing this, with the main takeaway that cohort effects (variations resulting from the unique experience/exposure of a group of subjects (cohort) as they move across time) have caused Millennials to develop different values than previous generations.

Hard to say how Gen Z is trending but it's notable that they are more left-leaning than previous generations at the same age.

I would think that Gen Z and Millennials are getting much less of the economic progress that often leads to conservatism. They're have less job security and are likely to make less money.

They are also less able to purchase their own homes and therefore do not get the perspective-altering experience that comes with that. Home ownership is probably the big first step into becoming a me-first Republican (second only to owning your own small business).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would think that Gen Z and Millennials are getting much less of the economic progress that often leads to conservatism. They're have less job security and are likely to make less money.

They are also less able to purchase their own homes and therefore do not get the perspective-altering experience that comes with that. Home ownership is probably the big first step into becoming a me-first Republican (second only to owning your own small business).

Middle class Millenials also saw the life they grew up with evaporate in 2007/2008 and told to go gently caress themselves whenever they needed help and then have it happen to them AGAIN in 2020. They never benefitted from the American system economically the way the previous generations did.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yeah its this. Can't afford a house, can't even afford to live in your own apartment by yourself, much less have kids... American Dream is dead for these folks and they aren't getting any younger. "owning a small business' I don't think applies because everybody's got a side hustle these days, if you don't have property to go with and instead just have like an etsy store or something you're not seeing a lot of the traditional benefit of being a small business owner.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Dull Fork posted:

Here is the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOdqM7Towc

I'd hardly call what he said as 'both-sidesing' but I guess you're willing to throw the legitimacy of what he filmed under the bus, because you don't like that he called out CNN as competing for views and ramping up fear mongering?

Fox and CNN are both 24h news networks, they both make money off of viewership. CNN isn't as left as Fox is right, but CNN sure as gently caress loves the current status quo as much as every single centrist dem.

If you'd like to quote a specific line we could further debate how you think his belief here tainted the family he interviewed, but I don't see it.

I like Andrew and the documentary, but I did notice that he starts by saying the mainstream media only shows "the worst from both sides" and then the documentary proceeds to do just that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Paracaidas posted:

Following November's heralded widely discussed noticed policy statement, the FTC is coming out swinging on its most stable ground:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1611016373416898560
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1611017064101314560
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1611018579541102595

This marks a big step for the FTC in addition to being a tidy policy win on its own merits.

Hell yes. Even though I know it can be tough to enforce non-competes (especially for smaller companies) it's just a plain evil practice that needs to be done away with.

It's rarely for "you might share trade secrets" and is almost always "I want to activate petty revenge against you if you leave me."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Oracle posted:

Yeah its this. Can't afford a house, can't even afford to live in your own apartment by yourself, much less have kids... American Dream is dead for these folks and they aren't getting any younger. "owning a small business' I don't think applies because everybody's got a side hustle these days, if you don't have property to go with and instead just have like an etsy store or something you're not seeing a lot of the traditional benefit of being a small business owner.

I'm basing that "small business" comment off of seeing people in my life open up medical/dental/law practices. When you're working on your own and most of your money is still tied to the time you spend actually doing things, it gets very easy for many people to start resenting having to spend time and money on their employees and the governmental HR and insurance requirements. (This is actually the biggest source of self-styled "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" people who end up voting for "moderate" Republicans within my circle.) Everything needed for progressive change gets easily twisted into more things taking money out of your pocket when you look at your accounts.

Much of this arguably would be solved by having greater governmental involvement in stuff like health care instead of leaving it to individual businesses to conduct, but I don't know if Americans will ever get there.

I agree that having a small Etsy side hustle will probably not warp your perspective as much.

I admit anecdotes aren't worth much, but this is what I've personally seen.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Hell yes. Even though I know it can be tough to enforce non-competes (especially for smaller companies) it's just a plain evil practice that needs to be done away with.

It's rarely for "you might share trade secrets" and is almost always "I want to activate petty revenge against you if you leave me."

Some of FTC's enforcements yesterday where against companies trying that against security guards. And it's striking how they talk about "libertarian" position --- if anything should make people question the "freedom of contract" nonsense it's contracts that make it impossible for people to make a living unless they keep working for the same company.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

OddObserver posted:

Some of FTC's enforcements yesterday where against companies trying that against security guards. And it's striking how they talk about "libertarian" position --- if anything should make people question the "freedom of contract" nonsense it's contracts that make it impossible for people to make a living unless they keep working for the same company.

The fact that libertarian positions are inherently self-contradictory and literally impossible should make people question them.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Oracle posted:

Yeah its this. Can't afford a house, can't even afford to live in your own apartment by yourself, much less have kids... American Dream is dead for these folks and they aren't getting any younger.

That's a logical conclusion for most, but I'm not so sure the average voter has the political awareness to make those kinds of compare and contrasts and act accordingly.

I think the simplest explanation is that the shift is mostly a result of the vibe people have from the last two decades of GOP performance and how accessible that information has been to the general public (the later being in large part to the rise in use of comedy to boost engagement). In other words, it's The Daily Show Generation.

Dubya and Trump may end up inadvertently saving the country (and the world) simply by having some of the best heel storylines to ever come out of Professional Wrestling.

When your party is so bad that it literally kills political satire, even the lowest of low info voters are going to take notice.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 5, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fart Amplifier posted:

The fact that libertarian positions are inherently self-contradictory and literally impossible should make people question them.

Should. Won't.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

BonoMan posted:

Yup! It's also notable as the first big push they're making after reasserting their rights to punish unfair competition.

This is one of many areas where I wish I knew more, so I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable fixes and/or elaborates. A brief overview (from the linked PDF): For many years, prior to the policy statement in November, the FTC limited their efforts to anything to do with Clayton Act or Sherman Act. In November, they got their Gorsuch on:

quote:

Relying on the text, structure, legislative history of Section 5, precedent, and the FTC’s experience applying the law, this statement describes the most significant general principles concerning whether conduct is an unfair method of competition under Section 5 of the FTC Act.
1. The conduct must be a method of competition
Conduct must be a “method of competition” to violate Section 5.
2. That is unfair

There is more detail in the PDF, but it's allowing the FTC to enforce against a much wider range of lovely behavior. It also allows (in their view, to the chagrin of today's lone dissenter) them to break away from a narrow "consumer welfare" standard. This matters for things like

OddObserver posted:

Some of FTC's enforcements yesterday where against companies trying that against security guards.

As Wilson's diatribe notes, it'd be really hard to prove any individual consumer suffered harm from security employees not being allowed to transfer freely within the industry. (Her screed includes the phrase 'don't take my word for it" in earnestness, and the same page hammers the majority for "scant" academic research while pegging a fundamental portion of her dissent to a single paper. Later, she also lambasts the the majority for misleadingly using "nefarious-sounding adjectives" ("exploitive" and "coercive") while following it up with impugning their credibility as "unelected technocrats", which required a footnote to explain it was not an insult)

Now, the need to show harm is lessened when "the indica of unfairness are clear" and that harm can go beyond consumer welfare as a part of the FTC's mission to enforce against conduct "that tended to undermine "competitive conditions" in the market.... like barring workers from moving to an competitor that offered better compensation.

tl;dr: past FTC regimes said that only abusive behavior from the Bellevue region could be Antitrust, otherwise it's just sparkling anticompetitiveness and they can only touch Antitrust. New FTC in November said gently caress that

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 5, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OddObserver posted:

If you don't agree with the terms of the contract don't sign it :colbert:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

If you don't agree with the terms of the contract don't sign it :colbert:

I've actually done this at jobs and still worked there for years. No one checked.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
I didnt sign the revised employee handbook even as a VP because they tried to sneak in no drinking on the job. my job was to drink during lunch with suppliers and customers. they didnt do poo poo (helped the owner was the biggest drinker of all of us). most rules seemed designed to allow you to hide firing without cause and keep employment practice liability insurance premiums as low as possible.

edit: in other news, why did cable news cut away from the President talking about what he's going to do about the border in order to show the house doing nothing at all. After like 5 minutes of rambling he seemed like he was about to get to a point of some kind. We were so close!

Mizaq fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 5, 2023

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Oracle posted:

I'm an older millennial who actually has checked the expected boxes through sheer dumb luck and I've just gone further and further to the left as time has gone on.

Maybe perspectives don't change, they just get revealed? I dunno.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Middle class Millenials also saw the life they grew up with evaporate in 2007/2008 and told to go gently caress themselves whenever they needed help and then have it happen to them AGAIN in 2020. They never benefitted from the American system economically the way the previous generations did.

100% this

Conservatism is a condition of the comfortable or ignorant. Its not surprising that a generation who by enlarge is educated and not comfortable thinks conservatism sucks.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Normy posted:

I like Andrew and the documentary, but I did notice that he starts by saying the mainstream media only shows "the worst from both sides" and then the documentary proceeds to do just that.

I guess I watched a different documentary then? I didn't see him interviewing a leftist version of Qanon family. I didn't see him interviewing a convicted CSA nutjob leftist. I didn't see him interviewing the leftist version of Tarrio, or Alex Jones. (Do those people even exist?)

His point that I think some people are accusing of 'both-sides' is that 24h news networks thrive off of getting more viewership. And those news networks KNOW that outrage, and fear drive the largest viewership. Theres been studies done showing clickbaity headlines are shared more, and echo chambers increase radicalization. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2056305119829859
He isn't wrong, and posters getting upset about that need to have a good hard look in the mirror and figure out if they want to be defending our current, poo poo-awful status quo of news media.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yup. Millenials grew up with the 90's American Dream only to watch it fall apart in the 2000's. 2001 we watched the country lose its mind (and admittedly many of us lost our mind with them for a while) and then we paid the price for it. It wasn't the boomers going overseas to fight the never ending war against Terrorism, it was young X's and Millenials going over, dying, or just being physically/mentally hosed up.

Watched in 2008 the market collapse and the government go "We'll just pay off the rich who screwed up". Watched the rich and everyone laugh at the Occupy movements while the media looked for the dumbest, most gullible idjit to interview for further mockery. Learned then that what we were taught in school, that if you peacefully protest the power will listen, was all bullshit. Gotta actually make the machine sweat.

Watched it again in 2020...and the years in between weren't exactly wonderful either.

Forced to go to college to get a degree, take on the debt, now everyone has a degree and it means nothing. I'm college educated and I work at loving Amazon packing boxes. I consider myself an incredibly lucky Millenial to have successfully paid off my college debt and have no outstanding debt to hold me down. I want to burn the world down and I honestly don't understand how those less lucky than me haven't started making molotovs or playing with thermite in their spare time.

Seriously, I was told if I busted my rear end I'd have a nice house. I bust my rear end and stay barely above water and have a beat up car I barely trust, a computer and a 1bd/ba apartment all too myself full of old, beat up second-hand furniture and I feel I'm living the high life.

I'm incredibly lucky to have left leaning parents and grandparents but I know several people my age who grew up just watching their family be replaced by changelings. The person is physically still there but there's someone else at the helm these days. A screaming hateful banshee or redcap that's lost its humanity and has been replaced with a fae hatred of the Other. After watching this inhuman transformation of our elders, and a handful of our contemporaries, it's unsurprising we reject any message coming from the soul-sucking void box and seek our own understanding of the world around us.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 5, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Paracaidas posted:

Following November's heralded widely discussed noticed policy statement, the FTC is coming out swinging on its most stable ground:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1611018579541102595

This marks a big step for the FTC in addition to being a tidy policy win on its own merits.

wow, if these numbers are accurate i'm shocked at how extensive non-competes are in the general workforce. that's like roughly a fifth of all workers. i guess i always made the naive assumption that it was only a thing in the consulting world

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This is obviously a good thing, but I might be missing something -- what stops companies from doing bullshit like this if NCAs go away?

https://www.cnet.com/tech/tech-industry/apple-google-others-settle-anti-poaching-lawsuit-for-415-million/

I guess we could say that they didn't get away with it given the lawsuit, but what's a $415M fine for a $100B company like Apple?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

This is obviously a good thing, but I might be missing something -- what stops companies from doing bullshit like this if NCAs go away?

https://www.cnet.com/tech/tech-industry/apple-google-others-settle-anti-poaching-lawsuit-for-415-million/

I guess we could say that they didn't get away with it given the lawsuit, but what's a $415M fine for a $100B company like Apple?

That civil lawsuit was just a follow-up after the companies quietly settled a prior anti-trust investigation with the DoJ:
https://www.cnet.com/culture/doj-settles-no-recruit-claims-against-tech-companies/

Anti-competitive practices laws (section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act) are also the basis for this new rule. Unsurprisingly non-compete agreements' primary effect on the labor market is to reduce competition.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Raenir Salazar posted:

How blue is Michigan?

It’s a swing state but the anti abortion amendment and the resurgence in unions made it like the bluest swing in the country last midterms. That probably won’t hold with abortion off the ballot but who knows

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
It’s far easier to have the power of the legal system enforce your control over former employees than to have to trust your competitors to keep up their end of a bargain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Isn't Witmer's term as Governor up in 2026 anyway? Seems like some sort of agreement was reached between the two, assuming Witmer wants to be a Senator.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Gyges posted:

Isn't Witmer's term as Governor up in 2026 anyway? Seems like some sort of agreement was reached between the two, assuming Witmer wants to be a Senator.

Stabenow is out as of Jan 3, 2025, so this is for Mayor Pete I'd guess.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Pete's Indiana

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Riptor posted:

Pete's Indiana

Not anymore!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Oh wacky

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

koolkal posted:

Less money = less conservative. Generations with less money are going to be less conservative. Seems to line up with the evidence imo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wow, if these numbers are accurate i'm shocked at how extensive non-competes are in the general workforce. that's like roughly a fifth of all workers. i guess i always made the naive assumption that it was only a thing in the consulting world

Pretty sure I had a non-compete clause in the contract I signed to be a loving divemaster on the west coast.

Was also just a contractor and not an actual employee, so yayyyyyy all around!

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

VorpalBunny posted:

Stabenow is out as of Jan 3, 2025, so this is for Mayor Pete I'd guess.

If you go from the middle of the north to the north, are you still a carpetbagger?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
A GOP sex scandal was not on my list today, but throw it on the pile

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1611168274896785409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Flappy Bert posted:

If you go from the middle of the north to the north, are you still a carpetbagger?

Tourists that come from downstate/out of state up to Northern Michigan are colloquially called (I poo poo you not) ‘fudgies’ because a lot of them go to Mackinac Island which is known for its fudge shops.