Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

smoobles posted:

It's still funny after 7 times ahahaha

The guy going "Hakeeeeem Jeffries!" again is less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

cr0y posted:

Wait I'm not watching at the moment because I'm on a conference call but I thought they voted to adjourn?

They got quorum, now they are doing a vote for speaker. Hakeeeeeeeeeem Jefferies!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One aspect I don’t see brought up about how the Republicans doing this to themselves is those 20 anti-McCarthy freaks have no threats to their power due to the GOP gerrymandering and voter suppression in their districts so hard. They can do whatever they want, the GOP anointed them god kings of their territories they have no threat of being voted out. That sucks, huh, McCarthy?

They do have a threat to their power, being primaried by someone who can claim to be more recalcitrant, using their vote for McCarthy as an example of something the challenger would not do.

Tnega fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 5, 2023

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One aspect I don’t see brought up about how the Republicans doing this to themselves is those 20 anti-McCarthy freaks have no threats to their power due to the GOP gerrymandering and voter suppression in their districts so hard. They can do whatever they want, the GOP anointed them god kings of their territories they have no threat of being voted out. That sucks, huh, McCarthy?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

there are a lot of bad things you can say about Nancy Pelosi but most of the left-wing of the chamber is in the same situation, it's just that a) the left-wing of the dems isn't the "blow everything up" types, and b) Pelosi had a reputation of being far better at working out deals than McCarthy does

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This speaker election reminds me a lot of the Simpsons joke where Sideshow Bob steps on rakes for three minutes straight.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

To be clear it would take only two republicans to lock this up indefinitely, right? If this boils down to, say, Gaetz and Boebert voting TRUMP! over and over no matter what they're promised, the game is up?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sorry if this got answered elsewhere but what happens if this stalemate never ends? No House?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Youremother posted:

To be clear it would take only two republicans to lock this up indefinitely, right? If this boils down to, say, Gaetz and Boebert voting TRUMP! over and over no matter what they're promised, the game is up?

No the magic number here is 5

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

Youremother posted:

The magic number in this case is five. So as long as Gaetz and Boebert have three other friends willing to vote against McCarthy, then yes this could go on for a while.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

From everything I've seen it's no house. They literally can't do anything without a Speaker. Every single thing presupposes there is a Speaker. They aren't even getting paid for this because they can't pass the bill that confirms their own paychecks

e:

ninjahedgehog posted:

No the magic number here is 5

Chuck Bartowski posted:

The magic number in this case is five. So as long as Gaetz and Boebert have three other friends willing to vote against McCarthy, then yes this could go on for a while.

My counting skills leave much to be desired :doh: But my point still stands: the Donalds faction needs a comically small amount of congresspeople to gently caress this congress indefinitely! They can afford to lose SO many representatives on this!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Youremother posted:

Assuming no one swaps parties, yes.

So yeah, this ends when Republicans start voting for Jeffries.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Appreciated that CSPAN had the camera tight on the woman who didn’t hear her name called because she wasn’t paying attention.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao at clapping at celebrating him voting for himself 7 times in a loving row

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

smoobles posted:

Sorry if this got answered elsewhere but what happens if this stalemate never ends? No House?

america is over, and we need to start a new country

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

smoobles posted:

Basically, yes. The cloud of elects can hang around but until they choose a Speaker none of them are actually Representatives.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Very excited to depart from our previous Civil War precedent and instead serve in the glorious army of Lord Protector Biden and his Long Senate.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Feels Villeneuve posted:

okay hear me out

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Most of them are in super safe districts but Boebert is doing this after winning by 500 votes

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I assume the Reps don’t get their salary either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

smoobles posted:

It's still funny after 7 times ahahaha

If I had a nickle for every time Kevin McCarthy lost a vote to be Speaker of the House, I'd have 35 cents, which isn't a lot but it's loving hilarious that it's happened seven times now :newlol:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

smackfu posted:

I assume the Reps don’t get their salary either.

Just read that they do but no one else does.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Be better to just start a new government. If we had something that wasn't a two party system where you were forced to have to compromise to form a government and get anything done would be a huge improvement. Never going to happen since the wealthy/powerful want gridlock and disfunction.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Everyone is forced to assume a new name and identity, all towns are renamed and all possessions get randomly distributed. It happened to Denmark in 1964 but very few outsiders noticed anything.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1611057790042181650

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
George Santos must be pissed that his paychecks can't start rolling in yet.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Youremother posted:

But my point still stands: the Donalds faction needs a comically small amount of congresspeople to gently caress this congress indefinitely! They can afford to lose SO many representatives on this!

Pretty much. My assumption is that fact is likely the reason why they were willing to do this in the first place

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Another historic loss for Donald J. Trump.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Most of them are in super safe districts but Boebert is doing this after winning by 500 votes

Yeah and theres a blueprint now and probably more money rolling in, in a presidential year so I would be sweating bullets if I was Bobert.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Quorum posted:

Very excited to depart from our previous Civil War precedent and instead serve in the glorious army of Lord Protector Biden and his Long Senate.

I guess letting the civil war not end and instead simmer for generations as a Cold War fought through proxy culture wars wasn’t the smartest idea as a country, shucks!

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

I bet you some GOP would flip to Jeffries if he promised publicly to investigate Hunter's laptop

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

For some reason my brain farted and I thought Mc was his first name :negative:

I'm MC Kevin and I'm here to say
I'm not gonna be Speaker again today!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
This is going to come down to people getting locked in a bathroom/closet to keep from voting at this rate

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LionYeti posted:

Yeah and theres a blueprint now and probably more money rolling in, in a presidential year so I would be sweating bullets if I was Bobert.

Boebert isn't thinking ahead to next week.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I think the problem is that Boebert understands she won't get re-elected so she's going to use the next 2 years to build up her reputation as a MAGA freedom warrior

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
It's not like Boebert wants to do actual government work, it's all a scam about grifting her campaign finances.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I know realistically this was going to be the outcome but it's also very funny that, for all the hemming and hawing literally millions of maga-heads did about getting trump to be speaker so he'd be in line for the presidency, this is the outcome. This is your chance, weirdos! You're blowing it (again) (lol).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Lol Perry was too busy mugging to the cameras and almost missed the vote

https://twitter.com/nataliewsj/status/1611063586331234348?s=20

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:rolleyes:
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1611032389878272002?s=20&t=YUPrc5ff0iJn2viLBzbNDA

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Actually it is super loving hilarious that thanks to Gaetz Trump is now a popular vote loser for Presidency AND for Congress. We just need Trump to fail at being appointed a Supreme Court justice

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
21 Not McCarthy votes now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This probably ends when they just pick the next establishment guy instead. Gives the blowhards a chance to cash in all the compromises they’ve won while avoiding having to vote for McCarthy.