Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you should put exclusives under your horizontal consoles, to raise them up and visually establish the hierarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
resident evil 4 is so good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it was my first resident evil so i didn't really appreciate how much of a shift it was at the time but i sure do now

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

if you think about it Resident Evil only makes sense for 1 and 7, since they take place in mansions i.e residences.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the last final fantasy game they make is the only legit one

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

bone emulator posted:

if you think about it Resident Evil only makes sense for 1 and 7, since they take place in mansions i.e residences.

Tbf they're titled Biohazard in JP, I've always been curious why that got changed for western release

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Evil Kit posted:

Tbf they're titled Biohazard in JP, I've always been curious why that got changed for western release

i believe a band from America took the Biohazard name first

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I lived through the 360 era. Your warnings that a console might die someday mean nothing to me.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

this is why the cube is the optimal shape for a games console

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bone emulator posted:

this is why the cube is the optimal shape for a games console

Defender of the polyverse

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there a source for that which isnt "wololo dot net"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Biohazard doesn't sound cool

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

*taps mic* magafest

https://twitter.com/jbu3/status/1611028655257407488

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
did Kotaku do something to MAGfest to get them mad, they've definitely gone downhill over the last few years

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

did Kotaku do something to MAGfest to get them mad, they've definitely gone downhill over the last few years
they had an article last year about MAGfest not caring about covid restrictions and people getting sick as a result

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Surprised enough people remember MAG to bother with a whole fest

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Magfest was fun the times I went and I enjoyed the smaller Lab events they did but everyone gets sick every year with norovirus and like hell I'm going now to the ultimate super spreader event where almost no one actually bathes

The stench was always unbearable. The first time I went I literally fell to my knees gagging lol

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

The 7th Guest posted:

if you stand the ps5 vertically you have more room to put all of the many varied exclusives on the shelf next to it

I’m fortunate to have mine horizontal and have games next to it. Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Looper posted:

it was my first resident evil so i didn't really appreciate how much of a shift it was at the time but i sure do now

RE2make was my first Resident Evil, and it was so phenomenal that I cannot wait for Resident Evil 4 Remake

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I’m fortunate to have mine horizontal and have games next to it. Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

RE2make was my first Resident Evil, and it was so phenomenal that I cannot wait for Resident Evil 4 Remake

Did you play 7 and 8? Both are hella good

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Nope, only the 2make! I might visit more of the catalog…someday

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I got SOLAR ASH for Christmas and have played about as much of it as I think I'm going to -- a single '100%' playthrough where I got almost all of the achievements. It's fun and unique, bringing together good elements of a bunch of games I like (and not all ones I'd expected). It has some of the aesthetic of Hyper Light Drifter, and a similarly excellent soundtrack and sound design, which makes sense since it's the same developer. The gameplay itself feels like a blend of Sonic the Hedgehog (shallow combat, gotta go fast) and Super Mario Galaxy (weird bendy gravity), with boss fights that strongly remind me of Shadow of the Colossus (giant boss you platform across, hitting weakpoints). I may try and get the 3-hour-speedrun achievement on Easy. I played through on the Standard difficulty (level 2 out of 3), which unlocked a fourth difficulty called Hardcore which I am absolutely not going to even attempt to clear, I could barely complete the tutorial and was absolutely, hopelessly, and immediately destroyed by the first boss.

It's a solid buy if you're into fast-paced platformers, although don't expect too much from the exploration side of things, as there's not much in the way of collectibles.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

hell yeah, i successfully posted that in the chat thread and not the GOTY thread this time :madmax:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm 5 days into january and so far i've gotten:

My Time at Sandrock
Gedonia
Ctrl-Alt-Ego
Astalon: Tears of the Earth
Dread Delusion
Super Sami Roll
Overboard!
Cruelty Squad
Transiruby
Summer Paws
Super Kiwi 64
Paradox Soul
Kharon's Crypt
Cadence of Hyrule
Picross S Sega Genesis
Courier of the Crypts
FAR: Lone Sails
Jack Axe
Doom Eternal
OlliOlli World
Hokko Life
Grow: Song of the Evertree
Tribes of Midgard
Encased
The Serpent Rogue
Morbid: the Seven Acolytes (mystery key)

don't worry about it. everything's fine

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dewgy posted:

RE5 is great fun with a friend and really replayable once you get your guns fully upgraded. RE6 is an absolute tire fire, but somehow gets way more fun the more time you put into it.

They were decent, but yeah the shift backwards in complexity with RE7 is exactly what they needed to do with the series.

From my experiences with RE6 I think there's actually a really strong core for the gameplay, it's just buried under layers of jank and wonky controls (plus the game not really telling you how to do anything). There's room for some really cool manuevers and unique stuff like Leon's dual wielding or Jake's unarmed combat. Probably doesn't help that the plot's a dumpster fire; not that RE games have revolutionary plots or anything, but they usually have a nice B-movie charm compared to 6's "really bad Call of Duty campaign".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wish Just Cause 3 was a string/strand game, because the wingsuit is phenomenal but I really don't care for everything else, which is mostly sticks and stones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Solar Ash's hardcore mode is a huge misfire, it's so tightly tuned you have to have frame-perfect timing and aim on literally every jump in the entire game. It also takes out some of the checkpoints you get on bosses, so when you screw up you have to start the entire sequence over. I'm not sure what they were thinking, maybe that it would attract the truly hardcore speedrunning crowd who would practice for hours to post times a few milliseconds faster than each other

I'm also a little mad because on my second playthrough I missed the 3-hour trophy by a couple of minutes

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

bone emulator posted:

hello you've reached the evil residence

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
0 and code veronica also have evil residences

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most of the Resident Evils have some kind of sinister domestic setting at some point in the game.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All of them end in some sort of evil pharmaceutical laboratory. Maybe the title refers to an Evil medical resident

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the last final fantasy game they make is the only legit one

I dont approve of this av change

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Genuinely shocked to just learn that Goblin Slayer is not only getting a second season, but also a game with a Switch release.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Redezga posted:

Genuinely shocked to just learn that Goblin Slayer is not only getting a second season, but also a game with a Switch release.

It's because the Switch also moonlights as the Vita 2

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
its true The Switch also has a Made in Abyss game, perfect Vita successor

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

Solar Ash's hardcore mode is a huge misfire, it's so tightly tuned you have to have frame-perfect timing and aim on literally every jump in the entire game. It also takes out some of the checkpoints you get on bosses, so when you screw up you have to start the entire sequence over. I'm not sure what they were thinking, maybe that it would attract the truly hardcore speedrunning crowd who would practice for hours to post times a few milliseconds faster than each other

I'm also a little mad because on my second playthrough I missed the 3-hour trophy by a couple of minutes

Yeah it's mindblowing, as someone who thinks Sekiro is the best game ever made, I didn't think I could bounce off something timing-based that hard. I looked up a run of the first boss on Youtube and he seemed to be doing exactly what I was doing, just with nanoseconds-better pathing or timing or something. It feels like something designed for TAS. Bonkers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

its true The Switch also has a Made in Abyss game, perfect Vita successor

Featured in a Nintendo Direct!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/frwololo/status/1610815598811914242?t=Ry1yLAU1uMvcmQApHLEMzw&s=19

Speaking of PS5s, if you have one and it's standing vertical, put that poo poo horizontal immediately. Console repairers are noting that a design flaw can cause the liquid used to cool the CPU to spill out when the console is upright and cause permanent damage.

exquisite tea posted:

Forget everything you know about your Playstation 5, says man with a hundred likes on twitter who just smoked a pound of meth.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know how XCOMs and Fires Emblem lie in their displayed hit percentages?

Why do they lie in their displayed hit percentage?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

You know how XCOMs and Fires Emblem lie in their displayed hit percentages?

Why do they lie in their displayed hit percentage?

humans are bad at understanding probability so when you miss with a true 90% hit people think the game is bullshit and bugged, when really missing 1/10 times isn't that unlikely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
because the gamer brain is really bad at approximating what probability actually means