Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wonder if McCarthy can try a gamble and call their bluff, announce everyone can freely vote for who they want and if this end up with someone having more votes than McCarthy he'll support them as Speaker, if not then everyone should support him and get it over with?

Could Dems potentially pull a Lincoln, find vulnerable Republicans in Biden leaning districts, older closer to retirement aged Republicans, people who seem more into this for money and power and try to bribe them with positions in the Executive branch to switch to D, or to soft ball future Dem primaries? They just need 6 Republicans to switch or support Jefferies or some lesser number and some number of Present/Abstainations? If this clown show keeps going for long enough this has gotta get more possible right?

I don't really see why anyone in the GOP would agree to either of those things.

The Freedom Caucus folks blocking McCarthy wouldn't take the first deal, and if they're not playing ball then that deal is all downsides for McCarthy.

Persuading five Republicans to switch parties all at once at the very start of the term would be extremely unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The record is 133 ballots, took two months, and was in 1855.

also this was just after a major political party disintegrated into a ton of smaller parties which make trying to work out a majority a total nightmare

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
"Am I the dysfunctional government? No, it's the Democrats who are wrong."

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
They should vote in the teenage girl in the background for Speaker.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you want to know why the speaker vote in 1855 was so tortured the results here will probably give you a clue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854%E2%80%9355_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections

e) we should bring back the "anti-Nebraska party"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BDawg posted:

They should vote in the teenage girl in the background for Speaker.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
And we're off! How humiliated will KM be this time?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you want to know why the speaker vote in 1855 was so tortured the results here will probably give you a clue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854%E2%80%9355_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections

e) we should bring back the "anti-Nebraska party"

If they add anti-Ohio to their platform, i am in :getin:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boebert using her vote to yell a bunch of poo poo? They're just taking that as "other"?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wanna get in that weekly game of poker in the GOP leadership. McCarthy is absolutely the sucker at the table.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

I AM GRANDO posted:

Boebert using her vote to yell a bunch of poo poo? They're just taking that as "other"?

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1611077023421571072

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Literally just because his name is Kevin, I assume?

Mister Gopher
Oct 27, 2004
I eat my own poop
Soiled Meat

I AM GRANDO posted:

She said Kevin Hern of OK

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

US House Speaker Election TVIV: Anyone Named Kevin Can gently caress Himself

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Yeah Boebert's pitch was to stick her thumb in McCarthy's eye but she was grandstanding too long for it to be effective

This is likely the same galaxy brain trust that came up with Donalds because his name is like Donald as in Trump

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mister Gopher posted:

She said Kevin Hern of OK

That's a relief - I thought she was voting for Kevin Hearn, keyboardist for Barenaked Ladies.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Edward Mass posted:

That's a relief - I thought she was voting for Kevin Hearn, keyboardist for Barenaked Ladies.

Oh you mean the new guy?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
As Charlie Brown would say, AAAAUUUUUGH! THUD

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Wait, was the Kevin Hearn vote literally just to troll McCarthy by making him think for a moment that he'd picked up a vote?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
I for one, welcome speaker Jeffries, when the McCarthy gives up and tries a rule change to have the speaker elected by plurality.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Wait, was the Kevin Hearn vote literally just to troll McCarthy by making him think for a moment that he'd picked up a vote?

This is the modern GOP, trolling/posting/owning the libs is literally all that's left

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Some supposed reasoning for Boebert's vote

https://twitter.com/lizbrownkaiser/status/1611078609258569729

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Doccykins posted:

Yeah Boebert's pitch was to stick her thumb in McCarthy's eye but she was grandstanding too long for it to be effective

This is likely the same galaxy brain trust that came up with Donalds because his name is like Donald as in Trump

Yeah, it would have been alright if she hadn't rambled long enough to get boo'd and order'd. Cut it in half and the Mean Girl poo poo might have actually been funny.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1611071569706553345

So never

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They should just elect Boebert I can't think of a more perfect representation of the GOP.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The best way to stop 'big government' is to not have a government at all. Freedom Caucus doing what they were elected to do

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I hope there's a 9th losing vote so KMC can't steal the awesome nickname, "The Ocho."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I see you and want you to know i appreciate this post.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OK I support trolling Sean Patrick Maloney with your speaker vote

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Biden should start talking about his good friend Kevin more

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Supposing the obstructionist party was infiltrated (over decades) by an obstructionist minority whose motive is not the good of the party, but rather interested in preventing government from helping anyone and just wanna watch it burn and succeed in getting libs (who imagine a government that helps folk) to enjoy the warmth of the fire

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1611081906841346049

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

Biden should start talking about his good friend Kevin more

This is exactly the kind of thing he was doing when he was lauding McConnell the other day lol.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

134 here we come

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

How many votes before McCarthy fully turns into a corncob?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

First they vote against you
Then they laugh at you
Then they elect someone else
Then you win

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
Are some people not voting? First time watching live so not sure if that's normal

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The beauty of this all is that even if somehow McCarthy caves and withdraws, all it will take is a different group of 5 to go 'no this isn't happening' to gently caress it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

logger posted:

How many votes before McCarthy fully turns into a corncob?

-6, by my count.