Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a friend of mine had to stop contacting her parents for a while because, while watching her kid, they would absolutely refuse to follow any safe sleep guidelines. she would find her son on his stomach, on a pillow, tucked in with blankets, sleeping with his toys, stuff like that. and her parents would just be like "well this is what we did with you and you didn't die!" old person brain is so messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah maybe my kid is just weird.

The thing is shes usually exhausted by bed time, rubbing her eyes, yawning, getting supper bouncy and silly trying to stay awake. And she only naps for anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half during the day.

I know this sounds ridiculous and might not be feasible schedule wise, but have you tried getting her to bed earlier? That all sounds like over tired to me, especially with shorter naps.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter tells me she learned something at school then gets immediately irritated and yells at me if I ask any follow-up questions

I just want to know more!

Edit: I just explained the origin of the name "YouTube" to her and now I feel like Grandpa Simpson and I get the sense she doesn't quite believe me.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 5, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

marchantia posted:

I know this sounds ridiculous and might not be feasible schedule wise, but have you tried getting her to bed earlier? That all sounds like over tired to me, especially with shorter naps.

Oh yeah! We've tried gradually going to bed as early as 6 and as late as 8 moving back and forth in 15 minute increments a day. 7 seems to be the time that works best.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

lobster shirt posted:

a friend of mine had to stop contacting her parents for a while because, while watching her kid, they would absolutely refuse to follow any safe sleep guidelines. she would find her son on his stomach, on a pillow, tucked in with blankets, sleeping with his toys, stuff like that. and her parents would just be like "well this is what we did with you and you didn't die!" old person brain is so messed up.

One of the first times we stayed at my in laws when our daughter was first born, they'd set up a nice little crib in the guest room. She slept fine iirc, but when we had the light on the next day we saw like an entire pockets worth of change in there, quarters, pennies, etc. It was horrifying! We guessed my wife's dad had laid a pair of his pants on the side of the crib at some point.

We found more change the next time we went...at least that time we looked for it before we put the baby to bed.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter tells me she learned something at school then gets immediately irritated and yells at me if I ask any follow-up questions

I just want to know more!

Edit: I just explained the origin of the name "YouTube" to her and now I feel like Grandpa Simpson and I get the sense she doesn't quite believe me.

Better to be onion in the belt grandpa simpson than old man yells at cloud grandpa simpson imo

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

M. Night Skymall posted:

It definitely doesn't work with adults at least. Social rules, like not leaving your kid at daycare past the closing time, work much better than monetary punishments. Basically it changes the offense from "I am doing the wrong thing." to "I am trading money for the ability to do the thing I want."

Not sure I follow. If he stays in bed, he gets rewarded.

Alterian posted:

I have no issue taking either of my kids to school in their pajamas if they won't get ready. I'm not losing my job or getting reprimanded for being late because they decide to fight me.

Not sure this was directed at me, but our problem is he wakes up and comes out of his room early, while we are still getting ready, so we don’t have time to get ready and keep him busy while we’re taking care of other things.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

Yeah I worry about this with my mom. She's all like "Why are you changing him so often? We just let y'all get diaper rash. it was too much work to change your diaper that often." And "Why are you waking up to feed him? Just tuck him under the boob while you sleep and give it to him and fall back asleep if he fusses."

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nwin posted:

Not sure I follow. If he stays in bed, he gets rewarded.

Right, but the other way to look it is that he is trading his potential 1 penny for the ability to do what he wants, which is get up before 6:45 I guess. Frequently, this results in them doing the undesired behavior more: https://rady.ucsd.edu/_files/faculty-research/uri-gneezy/jep_published.pdf but not always. Basically you're changing it from a good social behavior your child should model into a transaction your child can reason about, as much as a 4 year old will reason.

Basically I think you should just keep encouraging them to stay in bed and explaining that it's good to be polite and listen. I doubt that'll work, but I don't think the money thing will work either and may be counter productive. It'll also probably solve itself as it won't be that long before your kid can probably get up and do whatever without preventing you from getting ready. Certainly I vastly prefer my kid getting up on their own and watching a cartoon or something while I get ready instead of trying to drag them out of bed to get ready for school, and they're only 6.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I solve all early waking problems by simply waking up at 5am or earlier. It’s working out great and with no long term health reper- *falls asleep while reading an email*

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my kid asked me to get on the floor to play with his blocks and I lay down and fell asleep

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

I solve all early waking problems by simply waking up at 5am or earlier. It’s working out great and with no long term health reper- *falls asleep while reading an email*

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I unintentionally fell asleep on my lunch break today. But I've been up since 2:30 because

Renegret posted:

good morning

Kiddo woke up and crawled into my bed at some time into the night. Then he had an accident and peed all over it. Thanks for the gift, kid.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

M. Night Skymall posted:

Right, but the other way to look it is that he is trading his potential 1 penny for the ability to do what he wants, which is get up before 6:45 I guess. Frequently, this results in them doing the undesired behavior more: https://rady.ucsd.edu/_files/faculty-research/uri-gneezy/jep_published.pdf but not always. Basically you're changing it from a good social behavior your child should model into a transaction your child can reason about, as much as a 4 year old will reason.

Basically I think you should just keep encouraging them to stay in bed and explaining that it's good to be polite and listen. I doubt that'll work, but I don't think the money thing will work either and may be counter productive. It'll also probably solve itself as it won't be that long before your kid can probably get up and do whatever without preventing you from getting ready. Certainly I vastly prefer my kid getting up on their own and watching a cartoon or something while I get ready instead of trying to drag them out of bed to get ready for school, and they're only 6.

Ah ok that makes more sense-thanks!

We’re in a tough period right now with my wife going back to work and adjusting to that. It used to be all she lost was some sleep if he woke up early and came into our room. Now she’s losing time to get ready, which becomes a bigger deal since she also has a 1.5 year old to take care of.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I sent daycare an email about the smooching situation. We will see what they say. Before this was brought up I had zero issues with this particular teacher, he seemed to be great with all the kids and was one of my daughter’s favorites. I also trust the daycare director so I’m expecting her to handle my concerns seriously.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Within the past two weeks, our 2.5 year old has decided it's time to be potty trained. She wore big girl underwear all day today without an accident. It is amazing to behold. She's also started to ask for reading time by herself that precedes bed time. I suppose she just memorizes the words, but she "reads" a few books for about 30 minutes before finally going to sleep. It's the cutest and smartest thing my kid is doing right now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
That's cool my kid likes to run fast into walls

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Tv Talk

I love Yo Gabba Gabba. It is a 2010s era children's show done in LA. Produced by DJ Lance and the dudes from Devo. It is structured well, has high production value, and good lessons. My son was born in LA and I like showing him this lil cultural link and I guess likes it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i7WgHw4Wbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pdTxmmfn40

Bootlegs of their songs don't seem to get content flagged. Wildbrain publishes full episodes and hour long compilations.

It's from one of the guys behind the Aquabats, which means your kid can graduate to the Aquabats Super Show when they're older which is like 80s batman style super hero show. It's good times.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Booked the tickets to see my family in the summer. 15 hours flight there, 16 hours back. And I'm not even including the time to get from the airport and being there.

I await this hell, that cost me several thousand dollars

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

supposedly my son is doing great at potty training while at daycare, but at home he seems to like nothing better than deny he has to go potty and then poo poo his pants

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My wife had a momentary lapse of sanity and booked us three economy tickets on a Spirit Airlines airplane, one for me, one for her, and one for our 2 year old, and declined to pay the $20 apiece to ensure they are all together.

Her argument is that the flight is currently mostly empty and she will simply check the flight constantly and reserve seats when necessary.

I got really upset about it and didn’t respond well. She said “I knew you would be mad so I thought about not telling you at all”

Folks the idea of going to board an aircraft with a toddler and checking your tickets to see 23E, 36B, and 44E on your 3 seats is enough to keep me up at night. I feel ice water pouring down my spine just imagining it.

“He can just sit on our lap!”
“Surely the flight attendants would agree to put us together.”
“We can just ask people to move”
“Worst case scenario we don’t board and we just drive back home and skip the vacation.”

I’m taking crazy pills.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that is a horrible idea and you really need to pay the extra fee to make sure the seats are together. relying on a flight to be mostly empty or on other people to switch seats is not a good idea! someone has to be sitting with the toddler. why not just pay the extra 20 bucks? it's not a lot of money.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

More importantly you have a limited amount of time now to train your toddler to bully whoever they sit next to. Can you get them to ask questions like "can you tell me what it was like back in 2018? I wasn't born yet."

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I read that as costing $60 total (3x$20) to make sure all three seats are together. Really you only need two together, so it's $40. (But then, $40 is the minimum right since it's nonsense to pay $20 to have one seat by itself--Spirit accounting.)

Anyways, I'm surprised Spirit doesn't have a provision for this since people will ignore the fee and then attempt to board with a toddler in a solo seat and the flight staff can't actually allow that even if the parents want to. Even Southwest, which famously has a "pick your own seat" policy has family boarding where families can find seats together when the plane is at most only a third full.

Like, I wouldn't just assume things and she should check Spirit's policies. I just know that other airlines often waive "convenience fees" to facilitate family travel since a disruptive child costs everyone.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 6, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I read that as costing $60 total (3x$20) to make sure all three seats are together. Really you only need two together, so it's $40. (But then, $40 is the minimum right since it's nonsense to pay $20 to have one seat by itself--Spirit accounting.)

Anyways, I'm surprised Spirit doesn't have a provision for this since people will ignore the fee and then attempt to board with a toddler in a solo seat and the flight staff can't actually allow that even if the parents want to. Even Southwest, which famously has a "pick your own seat" policy has family boarding where families can find seats together when the plane is at most only a third full.

Like, I wouldn't just assume things and she should check Spirit's policies. I just know that other airlines often waive "convenience fees" to facilitate family travel since a disruptive child costs everyone.

$120 because you have to consider the return trip. I'd say it's still worth it though.

We fly almost exclusively Southwest and the family boarding is real nice. But Family boarding is only good for 2 parents and one kid up to the age of 6, so the moment my kid turns 6 then we're paying for early bird every time. Without that you're almost guaranteed to not sit together. Our last flight we sat in the back 1/4 of the plane despite being the only people in family boarding.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't imagine they'd allow a 2 year old to sit unaccompanied though. That's just insane.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Renegret posted:

We fly almost exclusively Southwest and the family boarding is real nice. But Family boarding is only good for 2 parents and one kid up to the age of 6, so the moment my kid turns 6 then we're paying for early bird every time. Without that you're almost guaranteed to not sit together. Our last flight we sat in the back 1/4 of the plane despite being the only people in family boarding.
I haven't flown regularly since before the pandemic but when I did (and wasn't A-listed) I usually got the first half of B or earlier checking in exactly 24 hours early even on a "wanna get away" ticket, at which point the plane should only be half full. And there should still be empty rows for all of "B" since other families do try to sit together even without family boarding.

Orlando flights though--all bets are off. When we went to Disney I bought "business select" tickets because the entire flight is family boarding.

Regarding Spirit, yeah, OK, their policy seems to be "pay the fee". Again they're not actually going to seat a toddler by themselves, but it's going to be disruptive to the flight staff to sort it out in the moment. Flying is one of those things I don't really like to gently caress around and find out about.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I thought airlines were federally required to seat parents with children?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

space uncle posted:

My wife had a momentary lapse of sanity and booked us three economy tickets on a Spirit Airlines airplane, one for me, one for her, and one for our 2 year old, and declined to pay the $20 apiece to ensure they are all together.

Her argument is that the flight is currently mostly empty and she will simply check the flight constantly and reserve seats when necessary.

I got really upset about it and didn’t respond well. She said “I knew you would be mad so I thought about not telling you at all”

Folks the idea of going to board an aircraft with a toddler and checking your tickets to see 23E, 36B, and 44E on your 3 seats is enough to keep me up at night. I feel ice water pouring down my spine just imagining it.

“He can just sit on our lap!”
“Surely the flight attendants would agree to put us together.”
“We can just ask people to move”
“Worst case scenario we don’t board and we just drive back home and skip the vacation.”

I’m taking crazy pills.

You'll be fine, whoever gets stuck next to the kid will GLADLY trade their seat for any other seat. Does spirit do family boarding before general like southwest?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Showing my toddler that you can dip fries in ketchup. He has understood my instructions to mean that you take a single fry, dip it in ketchup, lick the ketchup off, and then put it back on the plate. And then when you want more, you need to use a completely new french fry.

So now I have a bunch of half soggy french fries and no ketchup left.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Showing my toddler that you can dip fries in ketchup. He has understood my instructions to mean that you take a single fry, dip it in ketchup, lick the ketchup off, and then put it back on the plate. And then when you want more, you need to use a completely new french fry.

This is a new one; I've seen plenty of kids take a chip, dip it in salsa, lick off the salsa and then go back for another dip... like their brains can't quite get around the idea that something can be simultaneously food and a spoon, so they just treat the chip like a spoon. Chips and salsa, pita and hummus, carrots & ranch dressing...

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Tom Smykowski posted:

Sounds about right. Can't remember if our oldest did that, but our 2.5 certainly did (and still does sometimes).

Is this their first ketchup experience? Because it won't be long until they're spooning ketchup up and then asking for more.

I dunno what it is, but ketchup is like toddler crack.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

I dunno what it is, but ketchup is like toddler crack.

Sugar.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Me before kids: I will never feed my kids mcdonalds or burger king, it's trash!
Me pretty much weekly now: "ok it's burger king night" (it's right next to daycare, and no there's nothing better anywhere nearby!).

It's not even cheap for 4 people. If I get it delivered instead of picking it up myself (I am picking it up tonight, the drive through is right there) I might as well pay an extra 10-15 bucks and get proper food instead!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My son is currently having a meltdown because I didn’t change his poopy diaper in the living room. Now he wants me to go to the trash, take out the dirty diaper, put it back on his butt, and change him in the living room.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Renegret posted:

I can't imagine they'd allow a 2 year old to sit unaccompanied though. That's just insane.

They would not. Might be worth calling, with Delta at least they waive the seat assignment fee for the super-cheap fare class. .

Edna Mode posted:

I thought airlines were federally required to seat parents with children?

There's no requirement but there is a "shape the gently caress up before we make you" notice, here.

Spirit is just the scummiest piece of poo poo airline this side of the Atlantic so they are trying to trick you into paying.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 7, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

redreader posted:

Me before kids: I will never feed my kids mcdonalds or burger king, it's trash!
Me pretty much weekly now: "ok it's burger king night" (it's right next to daycare, and no there's nothing better anywhere nearby!).

It's not even cheap for 4 people. If I get it delivered instead of picking it up myself (I am picking it up tonight, the drive through is right there) I might as well pay an extra 10-15 bucks and get proper food instead!

With our first kid on the way, I'm full of similar good intentions (no fast food! dinner at the table! bedtime at 7! television is a sometimes food! no loving phones or ipads for toddlers!) but I watched my in-laws raise their kid (who is now 6 years old and still sleeps in mom & dad's bed) and I'm just wondering how fast all my good intentions are going to slip away.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Everyone is the best parent before they have kids. :)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Before having kids I was adamant that bedsharing was bad and terrible for various reasons and NO CHILD OF MINE would share a bed with us.

I'll give you 3 guesses as to where my kid sleeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lobster shirt posted:

supposedly my son is doing great at potty training while at daycare, but at home he seems to like nothing better than deny he has to go potty and then poo poo his pants

Tonight kid has been literally starting to squat in the middle of the room while denying he needs to poop, then refusing to poop in the potty.

I loving swear if he poops overnight and we end up with another horrible diaper rash

Fake edit: started to poop in the tub during a bath, while denying that he needed to.

just take a dump already! Why is this so hard?!