Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jobert posted:

Are some people not voting? First time watching live so not sure if that's normal

you can vote at the end - they will call everyone a second time if they missed their first vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

smoobles posted:

It's still funny after 7 times ahahaha

It is still funny after 8 times too. Lawl.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How long until the majority knifes him for some other loser? Surely some of these holdout freaks will vote for someone else just to humiliate McCarthy at this point? What else do they have but affect and aesthetics?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

"If I lose I'll learn absolutely nothing from it"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
surely repeating the exact same actions over and over again and expecting a different result is the smart play here

It's a die roll! Just gotta reload the save enough times and you'll make the skill check!

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Capital-L "Legitimacy" is a myth - there can be no invention of men that any individual is morally obligated to obey.

Lowercase-l "legitimacy" is grounded in popular acceprance. That popular acceptance of a regime's legitimacy is most directly impacted by how functional that government is - the degree to which it's existance improves the lives of the voting population.

A party emerged willing to obstruct the opposition any time they have control, and blame that opposition for every (deliberately exaspirated) problem. This is just Patriot's footbaw, yeah? Cut-throat, just shy of total war, designed (in conjunction with ongoing, evolving media scrimmages) to empower The Party.

The ideology of the party cemented around "government that governs least governs best", and broader dysfunctions emerge. Ostensibly motivated by loyalty to Party and Country, their moves consistently, lawfully, increase wealth disparity and entrench existing power dynamics.

Foreign entities, interested in ending "The American Century", motivated instead by the desire to see that nations hegemony fail, infiltrates the party and joins the ongoing scrimmage over the Overton Window. That minority takes over party leadership. A collection of incriminating kompromat may have been a factor.

Now we're here, and the House is unable to convene.

Yeah, im lollin' at the GOP fracturing and stalling out, and nothing good will come of this congress convening, but I keep hearing the expression "win, then fight" in the back of my head.

The problem is and has always been bad-faith actors.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Whose the alternative if not McCarthy? Seems like unless the rest of the GOP caves to the HFC and elects an absolute nut job (even beyond McCarthy) the next in line is doomed to the same fate.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Edward Mass posted:

That's a relief - I thought she was voting for Kevin Hearn, keyboardist for Barenaked Ladies.

"How long have these ballots been going on?" It's beeeeeeeeeeeen..

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Popete posted:

Whose the alternative if not McCarthy? Seems like unless the rest of the GOP caves to the HFC and elects an absolute nut job (even beyond McCarthy) the next in line is doomed to the same fate.

Scalise, probably.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/maxpcohen/status/1611084050617229335

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
All I want to know is have they read the Constitution out loud on the floor yet? That's something long overdue and will fix the problems with this nation right away! It's called "GOVERNMENT," liberals!

I thought that was the first thing they were going to do! Do they not want to read the Constitution out loud anymore? What will happen to America if they don't read it out loud?!?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Popete posted:

It might be Steve Scalise who has the whole decorum bot support after he got shot but is secretly close to all the HFC psychos.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Popete posted:

Steve Scalise, probably with the new concessions McCarthy made, might make it. Or it's possible the HFC holds out until literally everything they want is in the new rules since it's not like the other 200 Republicans have any real convictions or backbone.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Edward Mass posted:

That's a relief - I thought she was voting for Kevin Hearn, keyboardist for Barenaked Ladies.

That would be a good pick, but I don't think a Canadian can serve this position.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LionYeti posted:

It might be Steve Scalise who has the whole decorum bot support after he got shot but is secretly close to all the HFC psychos.

He doesn’t have the balls.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

In fairness, he doesn't have much choice but to put on this sort of bravado. This is a game of chicken. If he admits there's even the slightest chance that he might back down, that just tells the HFC that their scheme is working and that they should keep going.

Until he gives up, every comment he gives to the press is gonna be corncobbed as hell.

Popete posted:

At least a few of the holdouts probably just want McCarthy's head mounted on their wall as a trophy, and would probably be much more cooperative once they've got that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought Scalise was shot directly in his anus

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
C'mon, this isn't fun any more.

Let the nutjob win so they can instantly step down for Trump.

Caros
May 14, 2008

happyhippy posted:

C'mon, this isn't fun any more.

Let the nutjob win so they can instantly step down for Trump.

I'm... 90% sure it doesn't work that way.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So does McCarthy resign after all this goes down and he inevitably loses or does staying just play into his humiliation fetish?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m surprised more people aren’t making pointless floor speeches as part of a nomination of a random person.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lazy isn't there someone you forgot to ask? Meme:
Kevins: I consent!
Anti-Kevins: I consent!
Physicists: *kaboom*

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xombie posted:

"If I lose I'll learn absolutely nothing from it"

You lose some, you lose some more.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I don't get why Spartz is waiting until the very end to vote present

I know she has a Senate primary coming up but it's a weird tactic since literally no one cares about this in the primary (probably)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/jeffzeleny/status/1611090334116634643

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Don’t understand how they “made concessions” to the Not Kevin crew but didn’t pull away any votes. Someone’s not good at negotiating.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kev: "I want to see what you write"

News: "Webster's defines pyrrhic victory as...."

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

And that's why they'll cave. Not a loving one of them can actually articulate why they want McCarthy so badly or even their opposition to the HFC's demands.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

smackfu posted:

Don’t understand how they “made concessions” to the Not Kevin crew but didn’t pull away any votes. Someone’s not good at negotiating.

The Not Kevin crew can't outright say not Kevin, so they put up absurd demands. Then it's embarrassing for everyone because Kmac accepts and they still need to vote no.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Oh jesus, they're plowing directly into number nine

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
VOTE NINE BEGINS

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You can just... not vote. Let the reins of power slip, let the dems win this one. Just... don't vote.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Its because bad faith actors are exploiting the fact that conservatives (obstructionists) have been indistinguishable from accelerationists for maybe a decade or more (it wasn't really the case in the Bush years...).

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Morrow posted:

The Not Kevin crew can't outright say not Kevin, so they put up absurd demands. Then it's embarrassing for everyone because Kmac accepts and they still need to vote no.

They've said they're never voting for Kevin plenty of times. I can't remember who it was who told a reporter they can stop asking because it'll always be no.

The concessions poo poo is just a ratchet. Every concession he gives up will be expected of the next up probably.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
9 - Let chaos reign!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Please do the nuclear option. Make the vote for a plurality. Make the funniest possible option happen.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

smackfu posted:

Can you really call this a negotiation?
One side keeps adding ridiculous demands with no actual intention to ever change their mind and one side is desperately caves in to everything.
At this point they could demand Trumps face to replace everyone on mount Rushmore and Kevin would happily promise it to them. Afterwards they demand ice cream and an extra slice of pie.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This one's gonna do it. I can feel it guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

cr0y posted:

This one's gonna do it. I can feel it guys.

I think the democrats are ground down now. Everyone of them will switch to Donalds now.