Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The year-naming episodes are the ones I look forward to the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Their continued insistence that twen is pronounced twun is infuriating.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Instant Jellyfish posted:

A McElroy can leave Huntington but you can't take Huntington out of the McElroy

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Yeah, they had a 10 minute discussion about how "twenty" doesn't rhyme with "plenty" 3 years ago and I'm still traumatized

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Well, what is it this time and did it actually rhyme?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I saw this from the Other Justin just after listening to the recent episode with the KFC Gravings munch squad

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/1609795204198076416?s=46&t=0wLad0_IWvlfN65N-ccgag

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Warbird posted:

Well, what is it this time and did it actually rhyme?

I think they arrived at "Twenty Sun and Sea: surf the vibe"

Don't ask, idk either

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 3, 2023

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

:same:

Twenty Sun and Sea felt like a compromise pick, especially disappointing when they had Uncle Blunty Tree at one point

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Piell posted:

Naming of 2023 episode is out and is an hour and 25 minutes long, really wish they'd stop doing this bit because it's always tremendously unfunny

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This seems a strictly "you love 'em or you hate 'em" tradition

Personally fall into the latter and hate having to hear about it but I skip the episode and it always tapers off a few weeks into the year lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Listening now and I'm already mad it's not twenty blunty tree

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
i don't care what the brothers claim to have actually settled on, this is The Year Of Our Lord Uncle Blunty Tree :treemike:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
the only actual good year names in the history of the bit were zolo and Twenty Serpentine: Zag on 'em

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
20-USB: Lead the Charge

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Twenty Come and See: Hell on Earth

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Entropic posted:

the only actual good year names in the history of the bit were zolo and Twenty Serpentine: Zag on 'em

Twentygrifteen: The Con is On was my favorite.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ariong posted:

Twentygrifteen: The Con is On was my favorite.

One way you can tell it was the best is that they constantly referenced it while answering questions throughout the year, which had never happened previously and has not happened since (except for Travis’s ongoing “Big Dog Woof Woof” intro in 2021)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I forgot about Twenty Big Dog Run which was just the right side of dumb enough to be funny

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just started actually listening to the episode and wow it is really funny that the only one they couldn’t remember was last year’s. (At time of recording)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
2020 fill your life with laughter and love was a worldchanging bit

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

goblin week posted:

2020 fill your life with laughter and love was a worldchanging bit

It still cracks me up

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

it was perfect and i hate that covid ruined it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sankis posted:

it was perfect and i hate that covid ruined it

That's exactly why it's perfect

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kxlr3QK9I

Blastoise is my dad.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The forsaking of Twenty Blunty Tree is unforgivable

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Nice to see Justin stepping into the ring on Steeplechase this week. Excited to see what Stimpson has to offer.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How’s TAZ these days?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

General Dog posted:

How’s TAZ these days?

Best it's been since early Balance campaign IMO

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

jeeves posted:

The forsaking of Twenty Blunty Tree is unforgivable

On the other hand, now Uncle Blunty Tree is free to be a recurring character not tied to a single year.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

General Dog posted:

How’s TAZ these days?

It's quite good. Justin's perpetual refusal to allow Travis's bullshit for the most part is really keeping it above board. Not to say Travis is completely neutralized, but it's definitely more tolerable. Some very good NPCs too.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The "...and that's what he will say, depending on how you roll" bit that I'm pretty sure started as an accident is great.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Add another one to the pile of "TAZ is finally back". I knew I would love a Justin-run game and I've been waiting for it ever since Balance. So far it's seriously living up to my expectations.

Maybe I'm projecting based on what I know about Justin's interests and influences, but I can't help but imagine this campaign as a 90's era point and click game. It's goofy as hell but also compelling

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Poppy the Old Pervert is a great character and I enjoy Montrose and his intense dislike of him

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I greatly enjoy Justin actively refusing to let anyone join in with the "mumbling post apocalyptic narrator" bit.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Justin appears to be the only one of the boys who understands "I don't care how high you roll, you aren't bending my characters around your finger" and it's been a great neutralizer for Travis' horseshit. He's also been fantastic at providing mild DM warnings when they're about to do something (mechanically) stupid, so while he's happy to pile on the sass it never seems malicious when he applies The Consequences of Their Actions.

Overall very P&C Adventure and I am here for it.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I slid off Steeplechase a few episodes back, have they actually embraced being criminals yet? The first couple heists had Beef as a wet blanket fighter who never fought, Montrose too indecisive to do anything and Clint was also there I guess. Justin has great table management instincts but it felt like he was herding three people through a game they didn't want to be playing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

I slid off Steeplechase a few episodes back, have they actually embraced being criminals yet? The first couple heists had Beef as a wet blanket fighter who never fought, Montrose too indecisive to do anything and Clint was also there I guess. Justin has great table management instincts but it felt like he was herding three people through a game they didn't want to be playing.

why would you pick a Cutter if you didn't want to be throwing people through windows and threatening to tear buildings down to their foundation

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

it felt like herding three people through a game they didn't want to be playing.

Woah, new TAZ tagline just dropped. (Steeplechase is listenable.)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I couldn’t stop laughing about Emmerich being totally torn up and traumatized about the hardlight construct of Short Doug he destroyed while being totally unphased about the real person he actually killed. It’s amazing that Emmerich is somehow the weirdest character in a party that also has a guy that pretends to be part of a family of animatronics to relax.

Alaois posted:

why would you pick a Cutter if you didn't want to be throwing people through windows and threatening to tear buildings down to their foundation

Is Beef the cutter? If so, it seems like neither Justin nor Travis thought through the ramifications if having Travis’ character be a person of some renown, and now Travis feels kinda stuck not being able to do bad stuff because he can’t just take on a different identity like the others can. Honestly I would put the problem more at Justin’s feet than Travis’s. He should make it much less common for people to recognize Beef.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 7, 2023

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Ariong posted:

Is Beef the cutter? If so, it seems like neither Justin nor Travis thought through the ramifications if having Travis’ character be a person of some renown, and now Travis feels kinda stuck not being able to do bad stuff because he can’t just take on a different identity like the others can. Honestly I would put the problem more at Justin’s feet than Travis’s. He should make it much less common for people to recognize Beef.

I don't fully understand how Beef can even be famous when they've established that travelling between the parks is basically illegal. Absolutely no one in Gutter City should know who he is because Beef Punchley is a character (maybe???) from the nostalgia zone? Unless it's more like Dave Bautista retiring to go play Gaston in Disneyland?

I've decided it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Zutaten posted:

I don't fully understand how Beef can even be famous when they've established that travelling between the parks is basically illegal. Absolutely no one in Gutter City should know who he is because Beef Punchley is a character (maybe???) from the nostalgia zone? Unless it's more like Dave Bautista retiring to go play Gaston in Disneyland?

I've decided it doesn't really matter.

Beef used to be a celebrity in the real world outside Steeplechase. Eventually his star fell to the point that he resorted to becoming, essentially, a sideshow attraction in the Steeplechase layer dedicated to things from the past. His official job is to hawk an arcade machine featuring him from back when he had an actual career. It’s so depressing, and really funny.