Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip derol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I'm In

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Is Ari Aster making his version of The Klumps?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

been watching Players, a mockumentary about a LoL esports team and its pretty good lol. whoever does the licesing for the LoL people really knows their poo poo huh

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

hunter is coming

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've never cared for the whole digital de-aging thing but if any two people in Hollywood deserve the benefit of the doubt they're Ari Aster and Joaquin Phoenix

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Eric Cantonese posted:

Why do they like him so much? He sounds like way more trouble than he's worth.

They think it’s cool and good, and that it’s loving Bull poo poo when a good man is brought down by stuff everyone does.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i loved Hereditary but thought Midsommar kinda sucked poo poo, in conclusion the new Ari Aster has a 50/50 shot at being good

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

just finding out one of my fave directors Kore-eda has a netflix show coming out next week hell yea

he’s so good at filming people cooking

https://twitter.com/notebookmubi/status/1600153762630623232

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

just finding out one of my fave directors Kore-eda has a netflix show coming out next week hell yea

he’s so good at filming people cooking

https://twitter.com/notebookmubi/status/1600153762630623232

nice

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i loved Hereditary but thought Midsommar kinda sucked poo poo, in conclusion the new Ari Aster has a 50/50 shot at being good

I liked both but I liked midsummar more. however my friend put it better than me

quote:

and that's kind of the thing: hereditary is horror for people whom are scared of family. midsommar is horror for people who are scared of who they were as Dumb Assed Kids, or dumb rear end kids who're (rightfully) scared of what could be

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

idk i had a coworker who turned off hereditary once they started mentioning paimon bc "that's a real thing" so actually it's for people who are afraid of demons

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Hereditary is a feel good story about overcoming grief and learning to let your guard down so that you can love again, actually

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Paimon can't hurt you, people, it's telephone poles you have to watch out for.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mantis42 posted:

idk i had a coworker who turned off hereditary once they started mentioning paimon bc "that's a real thing" so actually it's for people who are afraid of demons

paimon is real and he's my friend

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Hereditary is a feel good story about overcoming grief and learning to let your guard down so that you can love again, actually

YO i just noticed our bernietars are wearing the same outfit

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

YO i just noticed our bernietars are wearing the same outfit

could it be he is transmuting the flask of cum into a fish??

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Paimon is real like all other Pokémon

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I mean Paimon's kind of annoying at first but she grew on me after a while

we're talking about Genshin Impact, right?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

could it be he is transmuting the flask of cum into a fish??

that's cuttlefish ink

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the only bad part of Hereditary imo is that the scene near the very end where they have Ann Dowd basically spell out the plot for you, it really stands out on rewatch as seeming like a Studio Note or something. "People aren't gonna know what the Hell they just saw unless you have a character describe the things they just saw!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the only bad part of Hereditary imo is that the scene near the very end where they have Ann Dowd basically spell out the plot for you, it really stands out on rewatch as seeming like a Studio Note or something. "People aren't gonna know what the Hell they just saw unless you have a character describe the things they just saw!"

agreed

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Thelma & Louise reboot with Ann Dowd and Margo Martindale

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ari Aster made like a dozen decent shorts before Hereditary and I think he was shopping around several scripts. If you haven't seen his MFA thesis, it's uh, loving insane. lol

https://vimeo.com/155016328

He went to the same MFA program up in the hollywood hills as David Lynch, Terrence Malick, Darron Aronovsky (who got kicked out), Todd Field, Patty Jenkins, Andrea Arnold, Paul Schrader etc.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:36 on Jan 5, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

Ari Aster made like a dozen shorts before Hereditary and I think he was shopping around several scripts. If you haven't seen his MFA thesis, it's uh, loving insane. lol

I heard about it on Cum Town and have definitely wanted to check it out so thanks lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh poo poo that's the same guy lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Antonymous posted:

Ari Aster made like a dozen decent shorts before Hereditary and I think he was shopping around several scripts. If you haven't seen his MFA thesis, it's uh, loving insane. lol

He went to the same MFA program up in the hollywood hills as David Lynch, Terrence Malick, Darron Aronovsky (who got kicked out), Todd Field, Patty Jenkins, Andrea Arnold, Paul Schrader etc.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Jk Rowling made a wizard hat that could tell you who is good, smart, average, or evil then this being a plot problem made a play to prove not every slytherine is evil.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

a hell of a way to find out your coworker thinks digimon are real

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

the Cum Town bit about this short is great. Its like the movie was made for them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHu6HMcpIeQ

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

He went to the same MFA program up in the hollywood hills as David Lynch, Terrence Malick, Bill Duke, Darren Aronovsky (who got kicked out), Todd Field, Patty Jenkins, Andrea Arnold, Paul Schrader, Ed Zwick etc. If you know cinematographers the list is even more stacked to the point where there is basically no other cinematography school.

The school used to kick out about half of its ~20 directors in order to foster an atmosphere of extreme pressure and competition. I guess they had a board and if your name wasn't on it, you were going to get kicked out so you knew you had to make something worthy of getting your name up, every quarter of the school year. The entire program is just make a short film, sit below the screen while it plays in front of all the teachers and students who are encouraged to rip it apart, and you are never allowed to defend yourself, and then do it again. Because in the real world, you cannot go to a screening and say "well it was raining that day and I was tired so..." The work has to stand for itself. You actually get it ripped apart 7 times. Once as a film experience, then once for cinematography, once for editing, once for directing etc. Each department gets their own screening after the general screening.

Classes are about 10 hours long 3 days a week and then you spend 4 days a week making your film (13 hour days) and it's insanely brutal. When I went there in just my class of 120 there were... 5 or so divorces... and it's mostly 20 year olds not that many marriages to start with. You make 3 shorts the first year and then the thesis is your entire year 2.

Anyone who comes out of that program is extremely psychologically damaged and the only way to feel good again for the rest of your life is the to make films which are both unique and massively praised. Which is why it's the best film school in the world.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Jan 5, 2023

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Mr Hootington posted:

Jk Rowling made a wizard hat that could tell you who is good, smart, average, or evil then this being a plot problem made a play to prove not every slytherine is evil.

i think she's made it calvinistically obvious that she believes very fully that how you are born determines your entire life and nothing you say or do or think will change that

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
alright if you are talking about harry potter, how come the weasleys were so prolific?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

He went to the same MFA program up in the hollywood hills as David Lynch, Terrence Malick, Bill Duke, Darren Aronovsky (who got kicked out), Todd Field, Patty Jenkins, Andrea Arnold, Paul Schrader, Ed Zwick etc. If you know cinematographers the list is even more stacked to the point where there is basically no other cinematography school.

The school used to kick out about half of its ~20 directors in order to foster an atmosphere of extreme pressure and competition. I guess they had a board and if your name wasn't on it, you were going to get kicked out so you knew you had to make something worthy of getting your name up, every quarter of the school year. The entire program is just make a short film, sit below the screen while it plays in front of all the teachers and students who are encouraged to rip it apart, and you are never allowed to defend yourself, and then do it again. Because in the real world, you cannot go to a screening and say "well it was raining that day and I was tired so..." The work has to stand for itself. You actually get it ripped apart 7 times. Once as a film experience, then once for cinematography, once for editing, once for directing etc. Each department gets their own screening after the general screening.

Classes are about 10 hours long 3 days a week and then you spend 4 days a week making your film (13 hour days) and it's insanely brutal. When I went there in just my class of 120 there were... 5 or so divorces... and it's mostly 20 year olds not that many marriages to start with. You make 3 shorts the first year and then the thesis is your entire year 2.

Anyone who comes out of that program is extremely psychologically damaged and the only way to feel good again for the rest of your life is the to make films which are both unique and massively praised. Which is why it's the best film school in the world.

i too saw Whiplash

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

alright if you are talking about harry potter, how come the weasleys were so prolific?

they're cornish, OP

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

alright if you are talking about harry potter

what is the political economy of the "wizarding world"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
drat, imagine ron weasley's parents making more weasleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
IDK, why did the racist British lady make Irish stand-ins have a ton of kids and dirt poor. It's a mystery.