Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think the democrats are ground down now. Everyone of them will switch to Donalds now.

I don't think the Democrats are going to elect the Hon. Donald J. Trump of the state of Florida Speaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

That would be a good pick, but I don't think a Canadian can serve this position.

Actually, the Constitution is silent on whether or not the Speaker has to be a citizen.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
One of the demands could be to strip naked on the floor of the house and slather his body with nutella and marshmallow fluff while singing "nearer, my god, to thee" and after this debasing humiliation KMC would still lose.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
At what point does someone take the clerk aside and say, hey, we've done pluralities in the past...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

At what point does someone take the clerk aside and say, hey, we've done pluralities in the past...

The Clerk actually has one hell of a lot of power she's not choosing not exercise at this time. See my previous post.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Please do the nuclear option. Make the vote for a plurality. Make the funniest possible option happen.

That definitely would call their hand. Either McCarthy or Jefferies at that point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the burn it all down caucus wouldn't just let Jefferies be Speaker.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

They can move to it at any time, the problem is that a majority has to vote yes on that

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

That was when it was legitimately a multiparty Congress. Republicans all agree a republican should be speaker, they just can't agree on a republican.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If Revolution 9 doesn't work I guess he's gonna have to attempt his own version of January 6th tomorrow

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like there is no actual law governing how this works, the roll call vote is done based on agreed precedent and convention. theoretically you could move to have the speaker chosen by lot, or wrestling match if enough people agreed to the motion

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't get why Spartz is waiting until the very end to vote present

I know she has a Senate primary coming up but it's a weird tactic since literally no one cares about this in the primary (probably)
She probably wants to ensure that her protest Present vote doesn't result in an unintended outcome. She can mostly know that when they first call on her, but there are still a good chunk of reps who come after her on the first roll call. What if, somehow, her Present vote left McCarthy or someone else 1 vote short of ending the whole thing? Then she looks really dumb and her protest vote just drags it out further. By waiting for the second call, she can look at a near complete tally and not leave things up to chance.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
This guy is very whiny

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
This dude sucks

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
The point. Get to it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Anexoric Henry Rollins in the house

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

They don't actually want to lead

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1611098666684538883
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1611098860704653312

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 5, 2023

nerox
May 20, 2001
Jeffries has received 212 votes 8 times now in a Speaker election, which is 1696 votes total. I wonder what the record for most received speaker votes in the history of the US is. What's the most without ever being Speaker?

I just want some obscure record stats like I am watching F1.

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Oracle posted:

The Clerk actually has one hell of a lot of power she's not choosing not exercise at this time. See my previous post.

It sure would be nice if she could impose some kind of time limit on these clowns

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Is there no time limit on these nomination speeches? Goddamn purple tie rear end in a top hat here is still ranting.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

nerox posted:

Jeffries has received 212 votes 8 times now in a Speaker election, which is 1696 votes total. I wonder what the record for most received speaker votes in the history of the US is. What's the most without ever being Speaker?

I just want some obscure record stats like I am watching F1.

Well sam rayburn was speaker for like 20 years so I'd guess he's in the many thousands

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
I feel like at this point they're taking turns burning time so that there are fewer votes.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I think he's trying to wear everyone out so they adjourn.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

LanceHunter posted:

Is there no time limit on these nomination speeches? Goddamn purple tie rear end in a top hat here is still ranting.

No rules on the floor.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
CHAOS OPTION

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Are you loving kidding me

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Youth Decay posted:

I think he's trying to wear everyone out so they adjourn.

It doesn't look like they're even in their seats for most of the speeches though

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Lol, Boebert is nominating Hern as well

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
Just when you thought this clown show couldn't get any clownier, out pops Boebert from the back seat of the AMC Gremlin.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
The brain trust of the right is now talking!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
republicans in disarray

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

what string of cringe rear end failures led boebert to this moment

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How many more rounds of voting before the clerk starts the voting by announcing: "If you take longer than 10 seconds to give me a name after you start talking, I'm just listing you as "present"."?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What the gently caress are you even doing, Boebert

"We have a plan! We have multiple plans! That's why we're nominating two people simultaneously, look at all these plans! :downs:"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nominating another candidate does not really lend too much credence to the "they're just going through the motions while a deal gets hammered out" storyline

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1611100053581479937

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Boebert: "Listen my family is dysfunctional, so take it from me..."

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I think that guy to Boebert's left is asleep.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Feels Villeneuve posted:

republicans in disarray

it's hilarious too cuz this has been a slow motion car wreck literally years in the making. wild to see it finally in full swing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Wait what is she nominating yet another guy right now?