Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bleck posted:

I've landed on leveling up SMN/SCH, because it being two levels raising at once helps my brain get over how deeply tedious leveling stuff up feels (also because the level 90 SCH artifact set is gorgeous). Is the best thing I can do to expedite the process just do the leveling roulette and then gently caress around in Bozja for as long as I can stomach?

Frontlines/trials/alliance raid roulettes are also worth doing I think. Netflix roulette is okay if you have something else to do while you play.

Apart from that, the quickest way will be to queue for levelling dungeons as SCH to get a quick queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Bleck posted:

Starting to replay this after almost a year. I've been a Samurai basically since I started, but now that I know a little more about how the game works and the roles of the various jobs, I've decided I need to level up something else, because I'm not and will likely never be as good a SAM as to justify the lack of utility I bring to parties.

I've landed on leveling up SMN/SCH, because it being two levels raising at once helps my brain get over how deeply tedious leveling stuff up feels (also because the level 90 SCH artifact set is gorgeous). Is the best thing I can do to expedite the process just do the leveling roulette and then gently caress around in Bozja for as long as I can stomach?
Run the highest level non 50/60/70/80 dungeon you have access to over and over on odd levels (SCH will get you queues way faster than SMN), roulettes on even levels, Beast Tribes while waiting for queues and get your Khloebook from Idyllshire once a week. Once you hit 71, spam Bozja Southern Front.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is there a primer somewhere on how housing works and what stage of the game I should be concerned about it? They keep sending me to housing districts but I don't understand like at all

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there a primer somewhere on how housing works and what stage of the game I should be concerned about it? They keep sending me to housing districts but I don't understand like at all

Those are just quick sidequests they added to show them off, there is no part of this game that requires owning a house, which is a good thing considering the limited quantity.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You never need to worry about it.

You can in theory buy a house once you're level 50 and having a specific GC rank. In practice all of the housing plots are occupied but there are generally smaller apartments available.

It's completely optional and it's just there for the sake of owning / decorating.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kharmakazy posted:

It's just like real life where you'll never get one. Also just like real life this is a problem that could be fixed but the people in charge don't want it to be

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

It's just like real life where you'll never get one. Also just like real life this is a problem that could be fixed but the people in charge don't want it to be

Imagine saying this right before the patch where they add a fuckton of new wards and turn auto demolition back on, both of which can (and will) relieve some of the housing tension on servers. Not completely, but it is something.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kharmakazy posted:

We are getting hundreds of new house plots next patch so everybody has a fair shot if you have the gil.

I notice nobody has posted how the new housing lotto works, so quite honestly if you can raise the minimum you have as much of a shot as anyone. You may also be on a new server cluster instead of a Crystal Clod like myself. You can get into housing as soon as the game tells you you can(light MSQ progression and a simple level minimum, like 30 or something) and the only real barriers are money and availability.

Here's a Plot Watcher site so you don't have to manually look over every ward. You won't be able to go to Shirogane(Kugane) housing until Stormblood, or Empyrium(Ishgard) until Heavensward.

Once every 8ish days or so, I think it's 5 entry + 3 results, an entry period begins. You can go to any available plot except FC(you need to head a vanity FC or something, though a legit one is fine too!) or those that open during the same entry period(simply unavailable until the next.) You go to the plot and click the plaque in front of it.

Small is 3-4m, Medium is 17-20m, Large is lol. You put down the bid and you've entered the lottery, go back during Results(Ctrl + U, click the next tab.) If you lose you reclaim your money at the plaque. It is a pure lottery. If 2 people enter you've got 50% chance, if 400 enter like my cursed luck you are owed nothing by Yoshi-P. So just keep entering, keep your minimum gil up(4m to always be able to hit a small a week, etc), and don't think about it too much if you're on a server where the market is locked down.

You can also get an Apartment or a FC Room for 300k gil and this is as easy and immediate as checking the apartment openings at the physical building or joining a FC. This lets you decorate a decently sized interior space with a 100 item limit!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It should be noted that the upcoming patch next week will add a significant amount of new houses to the overwhelming majority of non-new servers, so there'll likely still be plots available at some point in the future if you decide you want to poke your nose into it. For individual players, they're an almost entirely decorative bit of side content, so you aren't missing out on a ton by not having one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

Imagine saying this right before the patch where they add a fuckton of new wards and turn auto demolition back on, both of which can (and will) relieve some of the housing tension on servers. Not completely, but it is something.

I mean yeah that stuff is great. Maybe I'll win a house this time. Maybe I won't though, probably I won't. I assume with my luck despite the hundreds of new houses becoming available I will not get one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Macaluso posted:

I mean yeah that stuff is great. Maybe I'll win a house this time. Maybe I won't though, probably I won't. I assume with my luck despite the hundreds of new houses becoming available I will not get one.

Despair Friend! I know the next patch will be a wonderful opportunity but I really wish just once they'd let accounts that don't own houses on any characters just buy one directly when they do that colossal mass plot release. The uncertainty drains me.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Are there any good ways to grind gil? I'd love to enter the housing lottery but I'm nowhere near the ~3mil I'd need for a small plot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

quiggy posted:

Are there any good ways to grind gil? I'd love to enter the housing lottery but I'm nowhere near the ~3mil I'd need for a small plot.
Do quests, gather and sell mats, send out your retainers, sell materia. (Best market after a new patch with raids)

E: open shady nightclub in Limsa

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

quiggy posted:

I'm up to about 35 mil I think? Certainly there's more I could be doing but frankly the #1 thing I did was just go on hunts as often as I can. There are about 3 per day on our server (Gilgamesh), and for a while I was going on as many of them as I was able to. I got a TON of the currency that buys materia and then on patch day I bought and sold a loving TON of materia, whatever the one going for the most was, because people were buying so much of it for melding. I've made more money through that than anything else. I made a little bit when I was keeping up with my island by getting the metalic gunmetal dye (I think) and selling that in groups of 5. That was making me a decent amount, but the materia was the biggest.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

is there actually a chance to get a plot in this upcoming patch? I randomly entered a small house lotto over the holidays and was 1 of like 260 people lol. I want a small house to play around with but am resigned to never being able to have one. I'm on excalibur if that makes any difference

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
6 new wards, with 6 new subdivisions, for each district should add 1800 housing plots total. I think they're all lottery so I'd guess half-decent chances.

I don't know if they're going to be divided among FC only, personal only, or a mix, but it's a decent amount of plots.

Demolition is also being reactivated, but they said something about not resetting the demo timers. There could possibly be some evictions on that day as well.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Running out of virtual land seems like a dumb problem tbh. I'm surprised they aren't just renting land for cash considering the number of things they've monetized already.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I assumed they have been opening as many housing plots as the infrastructure will literally allow them to without the servers bursting into flames.

Like, I always think about how the Chocobo saddlebag was them doing their best to get more inventory slots to players because increasing the number of slots in your main inventory would have completely broken the system

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assumed they have been opening as many housing plots as the infrastructure will literally allow them to without the servers bursting into flames.

Like, I always think about how the Chocobo saddlebag was them doing their best to get more inventory slots to players because increasing the number of slots in your main inventory would have completely broken the system

Yeah, it's this.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

you can make a very easy 400k a week with the level 90 culinarian leve where ameliance wants gallons of herbal tea for fourchenault to relax

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
That's silly, I'm not sure why anyone would think that. The inventory in this game is tiny even compared to games from 30 years ago. All of that infrastructure is scalable by design.

The housing is instanced, with population caps. There is no technical reason you couldn't have an infinite amount.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah they’re working around twelve years of technical debt. They could recode things for an FFXIV: The Kwekuel to work way better but that money has been spent on NFT projects and other boondoggles

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They had to delay opening the new data centre for three months because of the difficulty in getting the physical hardware

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
A lot of the stuff from the earliest days is a fancy coat of paint on some very badly done coding from 1.0 and it's not easy to justify recoding those old systems when the game is so popular as it is so you gotta keep making new content

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kharmakazy posted:

That's silly, I'm not sure why anyone would think that. The inventory in this game is tiny even compared to games from 30 years ago. All of that infrastructure is scalable by design.

The housing is instanced, with population caps. There is no technical reason you couldn't have an infinite amount.
Technically no, but financially, absolutely. Hosting space isn't cheap. That poo poo has to be on all the time because that's how it was designed. They dug that hole a decade ago before they really knew what they were dealing with (probably).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kharmakazy posted:

As others have mentioned, you pay an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for the chance to win a plot of land. On the offchance you do win, you then need to pay more to actually have a house built. And then furniture is either more money (Basic furniture is cheap from NPC vendors in the housing area, but most of the really neat stuff is on the market board, and could be extremely pricey or extremely cheap) or gathering and crafting your own materials (Which is kinda fun for me sometimes, your mileage may vary). You do not need to worry about housing, ever, and will probably not have the money to straight-up buy a house until you're in Stormblood or later. Incidentally, Stormblood is where you'll start to get housing decorations as MSQ rewards. Nothing big enough to plan a room around, just like, souvenirs.

You can get into a Free Company that owns a house, buy private chambers for 300,000, and you'll have a decent space to decorate. Your FC might even allow you to decorate the house itself.

Primarily, though, and possibly more to the point of your question, housing is ultimately a vanity thing done primarily for yourself. You'll need to decide for yourself how important it is and how much you want to build a space that's for you versus a space you want to invite others to.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 5, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Kharmakazy posted:

All of that infrastructure is scalable by design.

infrastructure doesn't magically scale, it needs to be intentionally designed to do so. And if you pile a ton of features and dependencies upon an old system that wasn't designed to easily scale, you incur a poo poo load of technical debt, where features which seemingly shouldn't be a problem or expensive are excessively so and would require a ton of rework and throwing out old poo poo while maintaining all of the current dependencies... yeah. i can easily imagine a scenario where the only way they can scale is to throw more hardware at the problem, and that is very expensive

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What's the process for housing lotto? Who do I speak to

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

What's the process for housing lotto? Who do I speak to

the lotto i entered required me to go to the lot that was up and click on its placard

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ah that makes sense

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You do have to wait for them to start the lotto of course. It's not open submission all the time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah it's the same process as buying a house in the ffa days, but instead of purchasing it, the placard takes your money as a deposit and enters you in the lottery.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So finally having done Netflix roulette again... it's not Netflix Roulette anymore. The new versions of Castrum and Prae are basically entirely new, completely standard dungeons with a sprinkling of cutscene before bosses. They cut almost all of the cutscenes that weren't bosses monologuing, no more patrols standing down or distant explosions.

The new ilvl sync of 60 makes even the trash deadly to an unprepared player and the new boss mechanics are completely modern and completely require you to be on your toes. In my Praetorium run we almost wiped to Gaius because I wasn't keeping up on healing, expecting a relatively simple tank and spank instead of a dance fight. None of the speed run strategies work anymore, not just because they would get you killed, but because they completely reworked the trash and put up the usual barricades to progress until you clear them. I was happy to see the death run gone from Prae, but the new march through laser barriers in Castrum is brutal to the unprepared.

All in all I got out of those instances in like 35 minutes compared to the hour they used to take.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They also split the Ultima Weapon out into a new 4-man trial that's also in MSQDR. It's a pretty fun trial! I recommend giving it a go if you haven't yet!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

biceps crimes posted:

is there actually a chance to get a plot in this upcoming patch? I randomly entered a small house lotto over the holidays and was 1 of like 260 people lol. I want a small house to play around with but am resigned to never being able to have one. I'm on excalibur if that makes any difference

Yeah probably, if you do the legwork. Last time wards opened, I ran my alt around looking for a small plot my partner and I would like and then the evening before the lotto closed I checked those plots and rolled the dice on the one I liked most with the fewest bids. Rolled against 3 people and won. If your goal is pure get a house, you might be able to find a lovely plot somewhere with 1 or 2 people on it.

Edit: I guess it is more accurate to say that the chance here isn't particularly great, probably somewhere between 50%-25% at best, but you're never going to get a better chance than that.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 5, 2023

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

6 new wards, with 6 new subdivisions, for each district should add 1800 housing plots total. I think they're all lottery so I'd guess half-decent chances.

I don't know if they're going to be divided among FC only, personal only, or a mix, but it's a decent amount of plots.

Demolition is also being reactivated, but they said something about not resetting the demo timers. There could possibly be some evictions on that day as well.

The new wards (on the servers that are getting them) are divided with one being FC only, one being individual only and the other 4 being mixed.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/7f750e65f62e364cf179f8a40c30ffc244763e01

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kwyndig posted:

In my Praetorium run we almost wiped to Gaius because I wasn't keeping up on healing, expecting a relatively simple tank and spank instead of a dance fight.

Yeah, you absolutely have to actively heal in that fight. I'm not sure I've seen a full wipe, but I've definitely seen deaths from healers/DPS getting complacent and not reacting to raid-wides.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm saving more housing bitching (which I have done plenty in this thread, sorry) for when I lose all the next few rounds of lotteries and there's no houses left.

At least demolition is back in so there's always accursed hope

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Check out this little booger who I'm guessing drops in the new dungeon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chillgamesh posted:

Check out this little booger who I'm guessing drops in the new dungeon:

That's a crossover with the nier gacha isn't it?