Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

maruhkati posted:

The war ends in a perplexing time paradox whereby Ukraine, Russia, and all the Putin-backed breakaway provinces all claim victory simultaneously.

could this be the real reason the Ukrainian Orthodox are changing calendar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
It'll be the Warp in the West all over again, Nerevarine

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Unveiled, sure.

Delivered? Not without approvals from Congress. Lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Isizzlehorn posted:

Unveiled, sure.

They can just sell crack again

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Isizzlehorn posted:

Unveiled, sure.

I have a feeling they'll find a back channel or two through which they can make these tanks magically appear in Ukraine.

e: or the House Dems will just cave and vote for McCarthy lmao

Majorian has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Jan 5, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

The reason the Ukrainian night is so silent lately is largely due to the fact there is no power throughout the country

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/milcotto/status/1611083849169080321

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Majorian posted:

In Germany, yes. In the UK and France, not so much - especially in the UK, where both the government and the press have been as gungho about war with Russia as Poland and the Baltics.

I agree with this, but that argument just supports the claim that the U.S. played a major role in causing this war, which I've acknowledged is true. None of it suggests that political inertia did not play a role as well.

Your original claim was not about causing the war, it was about support for Ukraine, presumably after the war had begun. The political inertia in continental Europe (the UK is basically an extension of American policy) I believe was firmly in favour of a quick negotiated settlement. It's what happened last time. Scholz initially opposed banning Russia from SWIFT for instance.
Europe largely had very little to do with creating this war, it's preconditions were created by the USA and elements within Ukraine.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

In the absence of constant meddling by the United States, the political inertia was in favor of turning on Nordstream 2 and getting cheap gas for German homes and industry.

In the absence of constant meddling by the United States, the Ukraine crisis is resolved diplomatically before an invasion takes place.

In the absence of constant meddling by the United States, there are no sanctions to speak about.

This is an imperial project.
even with russia literally invading ukraine in 2022, the inertia was for a quick diplomatic settlement and turning ns back on instead of protracted war and increased mobilization lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the us stance on ukraine relationships surrounding the 2014 coup and afterwards is indistinguishable from "lets favor the nazis at every turn"

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

I have a feeling they'll find a back channel or two through which they can make these tanks magically appear in Ukraine.

e: or the House Dems will just cave and vote for McCarthy lmao

Ollie North gets a call from Biden to preform one last mission for his country

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

"I'll bite your legs off!" - the limbless black knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frank the Tankie

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tankie pope scum

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilmiera posted:

"Look, I know I was the guy that invaded you, but would you mind not fighting back for a few days? Its Christmas after all."

I dunno, I think a pause in the killing would be nice. At least in the spirit of Christmas.

I'd prefer to light up trees rather than people but ymmv :shrug:

Cpt_Obvious has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Jan 5, 2023

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

Isizzlehorn posted:

Unveiled, sure.

I would assume this would be a drawdown from the $45 billion approved for Ukraine in the December omnibus bill.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Russia should withdraw to the pre-war border in the name of peace and as a Christmas present to a brotherly Slavic nation.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Russia should withdraw to the pre-war border in the name of peace and as a Christmas present to a brotherly Slavic nation.
The bad news here is that they can't apparently. Maybe next Christmas.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1611022336714571776?s=20

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

Your original claim was not about causing the war, it was about support for Ukraine, presumably after the war had begun. The political inertia in continental Europe (the UK is basically an extension of American policy) I believe was firmly in favour of a quick negotiated settlement. It's what happened last time. Scholz initially opposed banning Russia from SWIFT for instance.

Your position would seem to be undermined by the revelations late last year from the French and German governments about the Minsk agreement. Either Merkel and Hollande lied when they said that the agreement existed to give Ukraine time to build up its military with Western support, or they were telling the truth. It can't be both things at once. The political inertia among the average French and German voters may have been against supporting Ukraine, but there was more than enough buy-in among the political classes.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Even if they were telling the truth, it's unclear that they shared this information with the current crop of politicians.
E: probably each successive generation gets bullied independently.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I agree. The war in question? WWI.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

saying that they wanted a stronger ukranian military is not by itself an endorsement of direct war with russia or annulling the minsk agreements

nordstream 2 is the strongest example of the inertia for not wanting a war with russia. wanting war with russia while going through with the pipeline is an incongruence that simply cannot reasonably exist.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

Even if they were telling the truth, it's unclear that they shared this information with the current crop of politicians.

comedyblissoption posted:

saying that they wanted a stronger ukranian military is not by itself an endorsement of direct war with russia or annulling the minsk agreements

Right, but as Weka pointed out, the original claim was about support for Ukraine, not for the war itself. It seems to me like the inertia was not on the side of NS-2, but rather on the side of European defense contractors.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

GlassElephant posted:

I would assume this would be a drawdown from the $45 billion approved for Ukraine in the December omnibus bill.

That's just money, it's needs approval before it cam be spent on something like military hardware. There's committees for exactly that kind of thing.

Committees appointed by the House Speaker.

At the start of congress.

Weka
May 5, 2019

It's liberal politics, expecting people to share potentially embarrassing info across party lines is probably foolhardy.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Majorian posted:

Right, but as Weka pointed out, the original claim was about support for Ukraine, not for the war itself. It seems to me like the inertia was not on the side of NS-2, but rather on the side of European defense contractors.
i dont think this is true. the tension on this issue was so high that the US et al felt the need to bomb ns2.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Majorian posted:

AFAICT the European MIC is just another industry, rather than a preeminent one like in the USA.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

It's liberal politics, expecting people to share potentially embarrassing info across party lines is probably foolhardy.

France and Germany have their own intelligence services and bureaucratic institutions. I think there were probably people who were held over from the previous government who knew about it.

i dont think this is true. the tension on this issue was so high that the US et al felt the need to bomb ns2.

You don't think European defense contractors were champing at the bit to sell tanks to Ukraine?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Majorian posted:

You don't think European defense contractors were champing at the bit to sell tanks to Ukraine?
there are competing business interests. lots of businesses would prefer gas from ns2 at the present moment than escalating the ukraine war.

again, this tension was so high that the pipeline needed to be bombed to settle the matter. if these other competing interests did not matter, there would be little need to bomb the pipeline.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Germany to increase defence spending in response to 'Putin's war' - Scholz (Feb 27)

quote:

Chancellor Olaf Scholz said on Sunday Germany would sharply increase its spending on defence to more than 2% of its economic output in one of a series of policy shifts prompted by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Germany this week also halted its Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project with Russia and agreed to send weapons to Ukraine after long resisting pressure from Western allies on both issues and facing accusations of being too dovish towards the Kremlin. read more

"We will have to invest more in the security of our country to protect out freedom and democracy," Scholz told an extraordinary session of the Bundestag lower house of parliament on Sunday.

Germany has long resisted pressure from the United States and others to raise its defence spending to 2% of economic output in the light of its 20th century history and resulting strong pacifism among its population.

According to NATO statistics, Germany is expected to have spent 1.53% of its GDP on defence in 2021.

Scholz said the government had decided to supply 100 billion euros for military investments from its 2022 budget. Germany's entire defence budget by comparison was 47 billion euros in 2021.

Germany could purchase U.S. F-35 fighter jets built by Lockheed Martin (LMT.N) to replace its ageing Tornado in the role of nuclear sharing, Scholz said.

But the next generation of fighter jets and tanks must be built in Europe jointly with European partners, particularly with France, he said.

It seems to me like the German political class felt like it would profit off of supporting Ukraine - and probably still does, if their continued support is any indication.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

dont worry, im sure this insane negotiating stance isnt "sincere" so it's totally normal that everyone at every level of ukrainian leadership continues to say it over and over, and not at all a sign that the death cultists have won

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

which timeline is this video from

sure as hell doesn't seem like the one i exist in

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

pausing gas through the gas pipeline is very different from bombing the gas pipeline

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Majorian posted:

Germany to increase defence spending in response to 'Putin's war' - Scholz (Feb 27)

It seems to me like the German political class felt like it would profit off of supporting Ukraine - and probably still does, if their continued support is any indication.

Oh jeez, oh dear, someone should make sure they didn't check any news in the months since then.

quote:

https://twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/1599798146569326594

quote:

The 2 percent pledge had been a key promise of Scholz’s Zeitenwende speech to the German Parliament in February, just days after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, in which the chancellor said: “We will from now, year after year, invest more than 2 percent of gross domestic product invest in our defense.”

During a government press conference, Chief Spokesperson Steffen Hebestreit scaled down expectations for Germany’s defense spending, telling journalists that the 2 percent target would be missed not only this year, but also likely next year: “It’s still open whether that [goal] will be achieved” in 2023, Hebestreit said, adding that his “cautious expectation” was that Germany would still meet the target within this legislative period, which ends in 2025.

Last month, it had already emerged that Germany will likely miss its 2 percent target in 2023 as the regular defense budget of about €50 billion will slightly shrink by about €300 million. Only a comparably small first tranche of a massive €100 billion special military upgrading fund is expected to be paid out.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

pausing gas through the gas pipeline is very different from bombing the gas pipeline

Of course it is, but it doesn't seem like completing the pipeline was a higher priority for the German government than shoveling money into the furnace of their defense contractors, all of three days after Russia invaded.

Lostconfused posted:

Oh jeez, oh dear, someone should make sure they didn't check any news in the months since then.

e: This piece just suggests that the new defense spending is going to be delayed, not that it's not going to happen. They're still planning on spending hundreds of millions of Euros to expand their MIC. Indeed, one of the big delays has to do with an old friend of ours:

quote:

Possible delays to the flagship procurement of 35 American F-35 fighter jets for Germany’s air force are causing further friction. Last week, Lambrecht’s ministry admitted in a confidential letter to lawmakers, which has been seen by POLITICO, that the purchase of the high-tech stealth jets — of which the first eight are supposed to be delivered in 2026 — risks being hampered by “delays and additional costs.”

The defense ministry letter said that the aim to have the first F-35 operational by 2026 was “highly ambitious,” citing necessary construction works at an air force base as well as delays in implementing required bureaucratic procedures such as flying permits.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Jan 5, 2023

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

HallelujahLee posted:

being pro war and generally starting wars is a good indicator you might win the peace prize

U cant make peace without wars tho

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weka
May 5, 2019

Majorian posted:

Of course it is, but it doesn't seem like completing the pipeline was a higher priority for the German government than shoveling money into the furnace of their defense contractors, all of three days after Russia invaded.

e: gah, misread that, hold on.

Nordstream 2 was completed.
Seems like this is actually taking away money from the German MIC if they aren't increasing spending and are going to buy F-35s.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Weka posted:

Nordstream 2 was completed.
Seems like this is actually taking away money from the German MIC if they aren't increasing spending and are going to buy F-35s.

But they are increasing spending, it's just not likely to reach 2% by the end of this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

keeping the gas paused indefinitely for the european war industry to continue escalating the war was not a foregone conclusion with foregone inertia. a quick peace settlement was possible and on the table. a settlement could result in gas resuming immediately at any time.

the concern that other parts of the business class might get second thoughts and sue for a quicker diplomatic resolution to the war was so great that the decision needed to be made for them permanently.