Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You can tow near infinite mass with it, but it will also take near infinite time to get it up to cruising speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
cybertruck is the dumbest looking thing ever and i dont know how it even made it that far without some execs head exploding out of frustration on how unbelievably stupid it looks

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Any integer is effectively as near infinity as any other, so in that sense it's completely correct :goonsay:

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
i don't know, I'm gonna need a neil degrasse tyson "well actually" agreement reply tweet to confirm

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Philthy posted:

cybertruck is the dumbest looking thing ever and i dont know how it even made it that far without some execs head exploding out of frustration on how unbelievably stupid it looks

You just know that some design guys came to Alan with like 12 different looks for a Tesla truck and he said no to everything and sketched this triangle monster on the back of one of their sheets and told them to "do that"

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Scientastic posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1611044282030518272?s=20&t=Yg5Ib4lgnKeGwzuGMZjlmQ

“Bloo bloo, I am one of the richest people in history, why won’t people be nicer?”

I wonder if this guy's ever heard of George Soros

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hearst got a whole rear end Oscar award winning movie dedicated to making GBS threads on the man, Musk wishes he had that kind of heat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Almost Smart posted:

How would you know it’s an EV if it isn’t stupidly minimalistic or garishly over-designed? Gotta have them PlaySkool inspired hubcaps too so you know it’s from the FUTURE.

Someone, at some boardroom somewhere down the road is going to propose putting an electric motor in the body of a conventional automobile people already like, and they’re going to be hailed as a visionary genius.

This was actually where Tesla started. They went over to Lotus to ask them to put a battery in one of their cars, but got the response "No, we take pride in our work."

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/status/1610399203481784320

Time for the twitter ads left to get even shittier and more propaganda.

I'd suggest callout ads telling Lonnie to gently caress off forever like the manchild he is, but that would be giving him money in the process. 5D chess move? :elon::elon::elon::elon::elon:

My bicycle can tow near infinite mass... if I'm going on a steep enough grade downhill :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

busalover posted:

all I can see is that Robocop game from the 90s

Turn your RTX on

EDIT: double post, still working better than twitter dot com

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

busalover posted:

all I can see is that Robocop game from the 90s

it's the custom kitchen deliveries

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mistle posted:

L
My bicycle can tow near infinite mass..

Yeah, you are riding on it

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Well actually :goonsay:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is that thing it's towing a second battery?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Dabir posted:

This was actually where Tesla started. They went over to Lotus to ask them to put a battery in one of their cars, but got the response "No, we take pride in our work."

The roaster was made with Lotus' cooperation (also when looking this up I noticed the Tesla roadster Wikipedia page is yeugh, gives musk credit for the design)

i think you might be mixing it up with the Hennessy GT, another swindlermobile that is a deathtrap modified 1200whp lotus exige that was the"fastest commercial car in the world" (in a straight line, and only with magical tires that don't exist) for a short time

To build them Hennessy had to buy stock lotus exiges from dealerships, chop the chassis in half and extend it and the wheelbase by like 3 feet bumper-to-bumper and a foot door-to-door to fit the engine in and make the car stable - they're still registered as a modified lotus exige on paperwork. The venom GT adds about a thousand pounds to the curb weight and absolutely destroys the car's handing - the stock lotus exige/elise platform is very widely recognized as being one of the most nimble and well handling road cars ever made

Lotus wouldn't license the design to them because all they did was turn it into was a clumsy messy DIY-tier hackjob insult to the basic engineering principles that Lotus as an auto manufacturer was founded on, "simplify, then add lightness"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
that was russian ogiogarch failson era lotus right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

FirstnameLastname posted:

The roaster was made with Lotus' cooperation (also when looking this up I noticed the Tesla roadster Wikipedia page is yeugh, gives musk credit for the design)

i think you might be mixing it up with the Hennessy GT, another swindlermobile that is a deathtrap modified 1200whp lotus exige that was the"fastest commercial car in the world" (in a straight line, and only with magical tires that don't exist) for a short time

To build them Hennessy had to buy stock lotus exiges from dealerships, chop the chassis in half and extend it and the wheelbase by like 3 feet bumper-to-bumper and a foot door-to-door to fit the engine in and make the car stable - they're still registered as a modified lotus exige on paperwork. The venom GT adds about a thousand pounds to the curb weight and absolutely destroys the car's handing - the stock lotus exige/elise platform is very widely recognized as being one of the most nimble and well handling road cars ever made

Lotus wouldn't license the design to them because all they did was turn it into was a clumsy messy DIY-tier hackjob insult to the basic engineering principles that Lotus as an auto manufacturer was founded on, "simplify, then add lightness"

No, I'm just deliberately oversimplifying the situation for comedy. The actual response was "We pride ourselves on the extremely high ride quality of our vehicles. A battery pack would be so much heavier than a petrol tank that it would necessitate a huge reworking of the car to still deliver a performance of the standards we aspire to. We are happy to work with you on this, but we won't just dump a massive pile of lithium into our vehicle and call it a day, that would be beneath us."

E:

Ludicrous by Edward Niedermeyer posted:

A few years before Tesla was founded, General Motors had contracted the storied but struggling British sports car company Lotus to build it a version of its lightweight Elise roadster, which it sold in Europe as the Opel Speedster. The relationship gave GM a world-class sports car for a fraction of the cost of developing one itself, and it kept Lotus’s low-volume factories running even as demand for the Elise slowed. It seemed like a win-win relationship . . . unless you looked closely enough to realize that both Opel and Lotus were bleeding cash.

To Eberhard and Tarpenning, who, in their initial feasibility study, had identified the Elise as the most promising basis for the Tesla Roadster purely on its technical merits, everything seemed to be coming together. The Elise was light enough to carry a big battery without becoming an ill-handling mess, and it had already been through the crash tests required for US market approval. Lotus’s engineering arm could be hired to take care of all the “car stuff” and help Tesla select the components it needed from existing suppliers. Once the car was developed, Tesla had only to build electric drivetrains based on AC Propulsion technology, ship them to Lotus’s factory, and the rest would be taken care of there. Just like GM, Tesla would be able to sell a world-class sports car without having to spend billions of dollars developing a vehicle from the ground up or building its own factory. It almost looked easy.

This pleasant illusion evaporated almost as soon as Tesla began cobbling together its first driveable prototype out of a yellow Elise and the drivetrain from an AC Propulsion tzero. With its compact four-cylinder engine mounted in a small bay behind the driver instead of under a spacious hood, the Elise didn’t provide enough room for the more than six thousand battery cells that made up Tesla’s battery pack. The Elise’s wheelbase would have to be stretched several inches to accommodate the massive battery and cooling system, meaning Tesla would have to license the Elise’s aluminum chassis and then reengineer it.

From this one, seemingly innocuous decision, the Roadster began to transform from the simple Elise conversion Eberhard had initially envisioned into something far more complex. Pandora’s box had been opened, and out of it spilled countless challenges that Tesla was ill-equipped to tackle. Tesla contracted Lotus’s engineering arm for some of the work and hired away engineers to lead their own side of the design, bringing much-needed automotive expertise to the increasingly ambitious project.

The Lotus brand had been built on perfectly poised and balanced cars that were a pleasure to drive, and it would not sully that legacy by just adding a couple of inches to the Elise’s wheelbase, throwing a battery in it, and hoping it would drive OK. Accommodating the size and weight of Tesla’s battery in a car that Lotus would not be ashamed of building would require extensive modifications to the Elise’s underpinnings.

Lotus’s boffins laid out a laundry list of modifications that would be necessary to turn the Elise into an electric roadster that would still handle like a Lotus. The chassis would have to be redesigned to be larger and stiffer, the battery compartment would have to be reinforced to serve as part of the vehicle’s structure, and a new rear subframe with modified suspension would have to be engineered. With such a complete reengineering already on the table, Musk pushed to lower the Elise’s high door for easier ingress and egress, either out of concern for his wife (as he later told his biographer, Ashlee Vance) or for taller customers like himself and Eberhard (according to interviews at the time). By the time the Elise had been transformed into the Tesla Roadster, the resulting car shared only 7 percent of its parts with the original.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 5, 2023

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

LimaBiker posted:

You can tow near infinite mass with it, but it will also take near infinite time to get it up to cruising speed.

Propulsion via tires

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fools Infinite posted:

Instead of an ejector seat it should have a touchscreen option that makes the car fall apart into its component parts until you're left flying down the highway at 70mph with nothing but the steering wheel in your hands.

It should play a bowling pin strike sound effect when it does this.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

sarcastx posted:

it's the custom kitchen deliveries

We've got to remove these side view mirrors
We've got to remove these safety features

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1610784500287680512

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

koshmar posted:

We've got to remove these side view mirrors
We've got to remove these safety features

We gotta add a color TVeeeeeeeeEEEEEE

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

so what happens when two cybertrucks try to tow each other in different directions

we'll never know since they'll never build a second one

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Aren't they already behind on delivering the cars they currently make and sell?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Now that he's found his core staff of visa slaves and sycophants he knows he can start squeezing

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Obviously truck can pull on it, but nowhere does anyone claim it can make it move

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

Riven posted:

We gotta add a color TVeeeeeeeeEEEEEE

drat, cybertruck engineers identified

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

there's no money left

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kazil posted:

there's no money left

Next up: Cutting Employee benefits like....employment.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CommieGIR posted:

Next up: Cutting Employee benefits like....employment.

one weird trick

will other businesses follow suit??

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

learnincurve posted:

that was russian ogiogarch failson era lotus right?

that was TVR who became failson co. unless lotus had one also also;

TVR's history is insane too though even before that guy, I rly like the Cerbera Speed 12 and now that i mention it that might be why you're thinking of them? specs-wise the two cars are really similar, turbocharged large displacement V12s in a far too lightweight platform that can't handle the power at all & Hennessy started making the venom in 2011 and rus guy owned TVR from 04-13

the cerbera speed 12 was basically the venom GT except ~15yr earlier, even sketchier, slightly less power but also much less weight and a shorter wheelbase and without any traction control - it was before the smolenski bought it although he tried to revive it i think

they ceased design on it after the owner took one of the prototypes to drive home one day and then decided the car was simply too dangerous to ever build and sell. they don't know the exact power output because nobody had a dyno that could test it, it broke the ones they tried it on but it was probably around a thousand wheel horsepower - in 1997, in a ~2400 pound front engined RWD car. lol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Cerbera_Speed_12

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The irony of "HAVE 10 KIDS THAT YOU NEVER SEE" cutting family planning benefits.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kazil posted:

one weird trick

will other businesses follow suit??

The gig delivery apps have been doing the contractor loophole around employment law for ages. Only a matter of time till they come for everyone else.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Severance: Season 2: No More Waffle Parties!

This comes on top of finding out recently that people who were fired / left months ago have received no severance package, payment or even acknowledgement. Must be so inspiring working for the man who stays up late to deal with catturd.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

oh good

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Dabir posted:

No, I'm just deliberately oversimplifying the situation for comedy. The actual response was "We pride ourselves on the extremely high ride quality of our vehicles. A battery pack would be so much heavier than a petrol tank that it would necessitate a huge reworking of the car to still deliver a performance of the standards we aspire to. We are happy to work with you on this, but we won't just dump a massive pile of lithium into our vehicle and call it a day, that would be beneath us."

E:

When I had an interview at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto back in ~2014 (they made a crappy offer, but I wouldn't have taken it even if it was good given the reputation of ol' Musky's companies even back then) they had a Roaster without the Lotus shell in the office as a display. It just looks like a big wacky gokart, giant metal boxes everywhere on a little chassis.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

I demand to know what kind of snacks before I weigh in on this :colbert:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Add this to the Twitter blue income, not paying severance, and not paying any rent and I’m sure this will easily offset the billions of lost dollars and Twitter will be profitable by the end of the month! Elon did it again.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

infinite mass: dense and intense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Lmao people think this loving moron is a big brained genius businessman