Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BMW i Vision Dee?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/bmw-is-developing-a-full-screen-heads-up-display-for-2025s-neue-klasse/

e: colour e-ink body panels would be amazing

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

At least those concepts don't have that abysmal buck tooth grille that they're currently using.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

knox_harrington posted:

e: colour e-ink body panels would be amazing

I can finally realize my fantasy of blowing through a speed trap then bottoming out heading into a carwash and speeding off in a different body color.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

HI everybody, I just got back from Iceland where I was driving around a WV Diesel Tuareg. I usually remembered to turn it off when I parked! But I kept forgetting to lock the doors. So many steps.

Anyway, I would like to let everybody know that snow tires are amazing. That car did things I didn't think cars could do, and I'm pretty sure it was the tires and not some VW magic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Snow tires are one of those things that have quietly gotten so much better in the past 20-30 years and no one really noticed. The ones today are amazing and the durability is sooooo much better too.

I would take a rwd car with snow tires over an awd vehicle with all seasons in snow and ice any day of the week!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

priznat posted:

I would take a rwd car with snow tires over an awd vehicle with all seasons in snow and ice any day of the week!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
BYD just launched their new upscale brand Yangwang. Two models so far U8 SUV and U9 super car?

https://cnevpost.com/2023/01/05/byd-launches-yangwang-brand-debuts-suv-u8-supercar-u9/

not a huge fan of the face, rest looks pretty good. some interesting tech.
https://carnewschina.com/2023/01/05/byd-yangwang-u8-r1-launched-in-china/

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 5, 2023

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

priznat posted:

Snow tires are one of those things that have quietly gotten so much better in the past 20-30 years and no one really noticed. The ones today are amazing and the durability is sooooo much better too.

This is something I've been having trouble getting across to my parents after telling them I have a RWD ID.4 on order. It doesn't help that all of their experiences have been from driving malaise-era shitboxes so none of my arguments about improved tire technology, traction control, and better weight distribution in EVs have convinced them otherwise.

Really, the only thing that'll hurt me in the long run is the resale value but at least it's cheaper, has slightly longer range, and maybe more readily available. (The reservations says it'll be a January delivery but I probably should anticipate it getting pushed. As long as it arrives by March before the battery requirement for the tax credit kicks in.)

We're in the Jersey Shore as well so we don't see a ton of snow. Maybe some dusting and a torrential blizzard here and there later in the season. And I do hybrid-remote work so I can choose not to drive on bad days and I'll still have the Forester XT for those times I have to go out in bad weather.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

priznat posted:

Even with snow tires, AWD is superior, and having owned an AWD car for a few years now, I'm not buying an FWD/RWD daily driver again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I unironically love the version on the left. Looks like the i3 with a case of futureitis.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wibla posted:

Even with snow tires, AWD is superior, and having owned an AWD car for a few years now, I'm not buying an FWD/RWD daily driver again.

Awd is better with the snow tires for sure. A bit of a tradeoff in weight/fuel economy or battery distance. But snow tires are a better option than just all four wheels going on all seasons is all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
all tires have gotten way better over the last couple decades

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

You didn't even mention the best part:

quote:

The new EV will be priced to compete with other premium automakers, like Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Volvo, and Audi. Sony has said it expects its software to offer subscription services, so vehicle owners will likely have to pay a monthly fee in order to access certain features.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

T Zero posted:

Not surprising since not just playstation but even sony nex cameras have an app store.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00110441

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

T Zero posted:

Every car these days offers subscription services? Everything needs data and license fees, car companies aren't going to eat the cost of LiDAR mapping and real-time traffic indefinately.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Three Olives posted:

Every car these days offers subscription services? Everything needs data and license fees, car companies aren't going to eat the cost of LiDAR mapping and real-time traffic indefinately.

It's Sony, they are going to ask for a subscription fee even to run the fm/dab radio.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wibla posted:

AWD with all-seasons is not superior in the snow to 2WD with snow tires, which was the comparison being made.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You really should be swapping to racing slicks if you expect to be doing 80mph on interstates for an extended period of time, anyway

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

We are worried about the BMW-style subscriptions like them turning off your heated seats if you don’t pay the monthly sub for that feature.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

AWD with all-seasons is not superior in the snow to 2WD with snow tires, which was the comparison being made.

Oh absolutely. AWD with good snow tires is a double-edged sword, it's very easy to get into trouble. I nearly got stuck a few hours ago :haw:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all tires have gotten way better over the last couple decades

This. I know people like to dunk on all season tires but modern ones are amazingly good in all seasons. 90% the performance of a snow tire in winter and almost within the margin of error compared to a summer tire in summer/wet.

Just remember the old saying "AWD is the fastest way into the ditch".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

not sure if you’re defending the practice of gating features in automobiles behind fees (and subsequently killing future access to said features by sunsetting the subscription service that governs access to them six years into the service life of the vehicle) or not

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Doom Rooster posted:

We are worried about the BMW-style subscriptions like them turning off your heated seats if you don’t pay the monthly sub for that feature.

Sony would put airbags behind a paywall if they could get away with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Hey guys is anyone selling cheap PSN cards I need to re-up my Adaptive Headlights sub since I splurged on 3D Motion Seats :(

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ok Comboomer posted:

not sure if you’re defending the practice of gating features in automobiles behind fees (and subsequently killing future access to said features by sunsetting the subscription service that governs access to them six years into the service life of the vehicle) or not
Are there aftermarket car hackers yet, choom?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Some Canadian company taking a stab at an EV. And of course going for our national pride by naming it after the Avro Arrow?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/canada-enters-the-electric-vehicle-market-with-project-arrow-debut-at-ces

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Cybervan we deserve

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Squibbles posted:

Some Canadian company taking a stab at an EV. And of course going for our national pride by naming it after the Avro Arrow?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/canada-enters-the-electric-vehicle-market-with-project-arrow-debut-at-ces

You can cram so many hockey bags in that fucker

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Squibbles posted:

So it will be an advanced design that gets scrapped and the company destroyed for mysterious reasons?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/bNxUZx6GNaU

lol RAM looked at all the Android handset companies making folding phones and went “hold my beer”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol RAM looked at all the Android handset companies making folding phones and went “hold my beer”

I guess it is because it is a prototype but won't the seats have your knees up to your chin if you are adult sized? that flat floor with the sliders is neat buuuuut noplace to put the feet!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

priznat posted:

I guess it is because it is a prototype but won't the seats have your knees up to your chin if you are adult sized? that flat floor with the sliders is neat buuuuut noplace to put the feet!

Heck, the roofline looks about as high as my Maverick and the bed able to be reached into. That surely won't do for a modern, real manly man's truck! Imagine the real thing will have the beltline jacked up about 6 inches more plus another 4 inches of lift.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

darnon posted:

Heck, the roofline looks about as high as my Maverick and the bed able to be reached into. That surely won't do for a modern, real manly man's truck! Imagine the real thing will have the beltline jacked up about 6 inches more plus another 4 inches of lift.

nobody needs a usable truck bed in a truck! But the cab does not look comfortable, those seats were weird with the floor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Failson posted:

So it will be an advanced design that gets scrapped and the company destroyed for mysterious reasons?

it'll be a mediocrity with no clear purpose that canadians cant shut the gently caress up about so yeah the comparison is apt

edit it looks like a low poly ID.3

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SlowBloke posted:

It's Sony, they are going to ask for a subscription fee even to run the fm/dab radio.

You wouldn’t rootkit a car

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

GlassEye-Boy posted:

BYD just launched their new upscale brand Yangwang. Two models so far U8 SUV and U9 super car?

I'd hang with the Yangwang gang.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

priznat posted:

Maybe they're waiting for the patent to run out on the Skoda Felicia Fun

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Indiana_Krom posted:

This. I know people like to dunk on all season tires but modern ones are amazingly good in all seasons. 90% the performance of a snow tire in winter and almost within the margin of error compared to a summer tire in summer/wet.

Just remember the old saying "AWD is the fastest way into the ditch".

Maybe for 3PMFS all seasons, the difference between regular all seasons and dedicated snow tires is huge.

priznat posted:

nobody needs a usable truck bed in a truck! But the cab does not look comfortable, those seats were weird with the floor.

I need a usable truck bed, the Rivian's tiny little baby bed is what killed me ever buying one. I want my dirt bike's rear tire on the bed, not the tailgate, and I want the CG of a sheet of plywood forward of the tailgate.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was not expecting a spiritual successor for the Honda Element, but I like it. Will be interested to see what the actual production model looks like nine months from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Elviscat posted:

Maybe for 3PMFS all seasons, the difference between regular all seasons and dedicated snow tires is huge.

Provided you can get the tyres stored I don't see the downside to running summers and winters, you're only wearing out one set at a time, and don't have the worst-of-both-worlds deal of all seasons.

Especially if you're spending a chunk of money on an expensive EV, it makes no sense to cheap out on the rubber.