Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Gleep Glossary has become total chaos and it's worth every penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As it should, most of the EU poo poo is barely any content by itself.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Do not sleep on this week's Nexus if you want sheer chaos energy. It's not full soundboard anarchy but it comes really loving close this month.

"Son Swap" is a phrase that's gonna pop into my head for a week.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat
I know they started doing virtual recordings again a little while back... Seems like they're back to doing more in-person recordings? Those may be more chaotic as I imagine the booze is flowing pretty freely.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Kneecaps posted:

I know they started doing virtual recordings again a little while back... Seems like they're back to doing more in-person recordings? Those may be more chaotic as I imagine the booze is flowing pretty freely.

Booze and probably some tall glasses of water, knowing them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Top Gun Maverick as WLM huh? Yeah that’s fine, it was a great time.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Really appreciate their Elon Musk impressions. :cheeky:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
For anyone who wanted to hear the guys talk about Andor, tune in to this month's episode of the Gleep Glossary, as Eric said they're going to cover it there in addition to the episode's topic of Mon Mothma.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1610274531985195010

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oooh! Happy Birthday to me!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had to think for a minute about whether or not I saw Love and Thunder, but then I remembered that I hadn't. I did see Ragnarok, though. Love and Thunder was the Taika Waititi one that people didn't like, right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

I had to think for a minute about whether or not I saw Love and Thunder, but then I remembered that I hadn't. I did see Ragnarok, though. Love and Thunder was the Taika Waititi one that people didn't like, right?

Yeah it's really bad.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Love & Thunder and Ragnarok are good companions to use to show what studio interference does to a movie.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Got any references on that? I hadn't heard of an appreciable difference in studio interference between Ragnarok and Love+Thunder

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The most you could say is that Taika (and purely from interviews and promo work, this seems to be primarily where people are drawing their theory from) is that he was sick of the production from the jump and barely wanted to be there.

It honestly seems like he's playing into his aloofness a lot more than anything else and Love and Thunder is the movie he wanted to make its just that promotional periods are always taxing and you're tired from production and dont want to be there. lots of people reading into things that maybe arent necessarily there and only backing it up with "well all of disney rushes their creators to the finish line regardless of the product".

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The biggest problem is the movie is not funny. That's a huge problem when the whole gimmick is "Thor's funny now and these are space comedies like GOTG."

I also totally forgot Natalie Portman was in it until I pulled up the movie's page on Disney+. That's another problem. It was her big return to the MCU and it really didn't fuckin matter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

The biggest problem is the movie is not funny. That's a huge problem when the whole gimmick is "Thor's funny now and these are space comedies like GOTG."

I also totally forgot Natalie Portman was in it until I pulled up the movie's page on Disney+. That's another problem. It was her big return to the MCU and it really didn't fuckin matter.

Well, first, I'm not sure how you forgot Natalie Portman is in it. She's a massive part of the plot, and was all over the marketing.

But I think the biggest problem with the movie is that the comedy is constantly undercut by the drama, in ways that hurt the movie. Like, maybe the jokes could work (...maybe) if they weren't almost always followed by a jumpcut to CANCER. The movie is "Killjoy, the movie" while presenting as "Happy-go-fun-time, the movie". They literally cut from Thor having a blast to Jane in an MRI machine, and then explaining that she has stage 4 cancer. And then trying to make jokes about that. It's like they thought the back and forth would average out or something. Instead, the tonal whiplash just made the humor intensely unfunny.

There are some great scenes, like the black and white scene against Gorr. But it's such a weird movie, that doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I’m not sure how I forgot either. The movie was just that not memorable for me. The black and white stuff wasn’t even that interesting for me. The visual FX for MCU movies has been bad for a while.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Gorr sucked.

We're told he's as fearsome and terrible of a god butcherer as he is in the comics. What we're shown is him accidentally killing a god and, about an hour later, a bloodless husk that the other gods, safe in their parliament, should maybe fear because implications.

Don't hire the dude who will physically and emotionally destroy himself to tell scary stories to kids who can't act. Make him the thing to fear.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I thought the Stormbringer being jealous was funny. And I’m a simple idiot that still laughs at screaming goats.
But yes, the movie was not very good.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Did I miss the schedule announcement for January? I swear I haven’t seen the email yet

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GPTribefan posted:

Did I miss the schedule announcement for January? I swear I haven’t seen the email yet

Hasn't hit as of now, no. I was also thinking that when Tuesday's episode came out and I realized the announcement was a real surprise.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

thrawn527 posted:

There are some great scenes, like the black and white scene against Gorr. But it's such a weird movie, that doesn't seem to know what it wants to be.

I found it aggressively okay at best, but this was my problem with it. The tone was just whiplashing all over the place.

Still, I ain't paying extra to hear the same MCU whining and Cabin saying "LIGHT HITTING OBJECTS" that I get for free.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So is there no Bid Daddy Dispatch this month?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I just searched twitter (because I didn’t want to ADD to any questions they already got) and saw Steve replying to someone saying it should be out today, seems like just post holiday scheduling / real life stuff got in the way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Re: BDD

https://twitter.com/jupin/status/1611118258354012161

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

I hope they’re really mean to Miles Teller.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Enjoyed the It’s A Wonderful A.I. discussion in the Moonwobble episode

Merry Christmas Michael Peña Lexus!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Top Gun Maverick loving rules. One of my favorite movies of last year.

RE last month's WLM - Is True Lies streaming anywhere? I want to watch it before listening to the episode because I've never seen it before but JustWatch says it's not available for streaming or rental or anything :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I didn't see Moonfall. Did they actually start the movie with Astronaut Wilson getting his life ruined in service of the conspiracy to keep the truth about the moon dark, then in absolutely no way pay it off or mention it again?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Gyges posted:

I didn't see Moonfall. Did they actually start the movie with Astronaut Wilson getting his life ruined in service of the conspiracy to keep the truth about the moon dark, then in absolutely no way pay it off or mention it again?

(I might be slightly off but) In the opening Wilson and Halle Berry saw an alien nanoswarm kill their teammate in space but there was no camera footage / grainy footage. Wilson's interview with NASA afterwards was basically "AN ALIEN KILLED MY PARTNER, I SAW IT, WE NEED TO TELL EVERYONE" and NASA replying "you sounds very insane, the much more obvious answer is you are incompetent and caused an accident and we're firing you. That's exactly what happened, right Halle Berry?????" and she throws Wilson under the bus and he becomes disgraced. It was never really about concealing the truth, more a "we don't know exactly what happened and need a reasonable explanation / fall guy."

I highly recommend watching Moonfall, it was one of the most fun movies (to watch while heavily under the influence) I saw last year.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Rageaholic posted:

RE last month's WLM - Is True Lies streaming anywhere? I want to watch it before listening to the episode because I've never seen it before but JustWatch says it's not available for streaming or rental or anything :(

I believe I watched it on Hulu last month, but who knows if that changed since I watched it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hockles posted:

I believe I watched it on Hulu last month, but who knows if that changed since I watched it
I checked Hulu and it's not on there :smith: At least, not in the US. It could have been on there last month but left at the end of the month.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

JANUARY SCHEDULE

Episode 651 — Moonfall

Episode 652 — Jurassic World: Dominion

Episode 653 — Uncharted

Episode 654 — Halloween Ends

Patreon Episodes:

Patreon Exclusive We Love Movies — Top Gun: Maverick

Animation Damnation — Transformers: BotBots: "Mall Than Meets the Eye; (Never) Be Yourself" (s1, e1)

The Nexus: TOS: "Wink of an Eye" (s3 e11) TNG: "Tin Man" (s3, e20)

Gleep Glossary: Mon Mothma: Featuring a FULL Discussion of last year's smash hit series, Andor!

Melr0210: 90210: "Cardio Funk" (s2, e23), Melrose Place: "The Tangled Web" (s2, e10)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Awww yea dominion, can’t wait to hear about that turd.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Don’t think the last of the month really deserves it but I think I already litigated that one. History will find me the victor and everyone’s tune will change.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh man Uncharted will be great just for the voices alone.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

dorium posted:

Don’t think the last of the month really deserves it but I think I already litigated that one. History will find me the victor and everyone’s tune will change.

It’ll still make for a good episode, just like Halloween 3.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

dorium posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Oh god no thanks to Uncharted, I've had enough of their Tom Holland voice