Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Honestly the HFC probably prefers Jeffries because they can at least argue that they "need to fix things." They ran on changing the culture in Washington and now they are the culture in Washington. They know that they need to keep the frenzy going to survive but that doesn't square the circle when it comes to a functioning government. They are a cudgel and know they need someone to keep swinging at. Or they actually believe the poo poo they're advocating in which case just lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Whoever the candidate would be, would receive daily motions from the nutjob caucus to nominate a new speaker.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
C=Span notes that KM has lost yet again.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

LOL that she thinks there's going to be serious legislating done.

They're going to vote for all the stupid investigations and whatever dumb poo poo the house tries to pass, they're just flexing right now.

There is a chance that she's just doing the "Hey, we're willing to reach out and come to an agreement with some Republicans, they're the ones not wanting to work with us" for the people who demand bi-partisanship from their elected officials.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

LOL that she thinks there's going to be serious legislating done.

They're going to vote for all the stupid investigations and whatever dumb poo poo the house tries to pass, they're just flexing right now.

Yeah this week is the most productive the House will be for the next two years.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Losing 10 elections in 2 days is a lot, even by Republican standards

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

StumblyWumbly posted:

The HFC must know where some bodies are buried to still be in the party. There's the argument that they give the GOP a majority but... do they? They can't even choose a speaker, how are they going to get anything done? I used to think a republican could step up and get votes from the dems, but at this point I think any repubs who want to get anything done (a minority but they exist) should just make a deal and vote for Jeffries until the HFC is booted.
But people who think that way probably left the republicans 4+ years ago.

The set of people who would vote for HFC members have become a core constituency of the GOP, and there's a lot of them. I'm including people who are ideologically aligned with the HFC but don't actually vote for an HFC congressperson because there isn't one in their district.

The GOP is probably afraid to piss off this large group of people by jettisoning the HFC.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nelson posted:

Hypothetically speaking, what kind of power would a minority party Speaker have?

For instance, enough Republicans get so tired of both sides fighting that they start voting “present” and Jeffries becomes Speaker.

Speaker Jeffries would have nothing but debt ceilings and maybe budgets pass. However there would also be no investigations into Hunter Biden's laptop. So it would essentially be the best possible case given who got elected by our fellow idiot citizens.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Meatball posted:

Whoever the candidate would be, would receive daily motions from the nutjob caucus to nominate a new speaker.

Only Kevin agreed to have that dumb rule, other speakers would probably have to accept something weaker than Pelosi's "Only the party leaders can motion to remove", but it definitely wouldn't be any one rep

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bringing a baby to these things is just straight up cruel for everybody involved, especially the baby

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
My understanding is even in a crazytown result like Jeffries winning because too many GOP members are out to funerals or whatever the result won't stick because the house can pick a new speaker at any time. So once the missing members are back in DC they'll just vote again.

Is that right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Youremother posted:

Bringing a baby to these things is just straight up cruel for everybody involved, especially the baby

I... uh... I think that's McCarthy.

Wait, did someone ACTUALLY bring a baby to this? gently caress it, vote for the baby.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Where is the Goku option??

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Randalor posted:

I... uh... I think that's McCarthy.

Wait, did someone ACTUALLY bring a baby to this? gently caress it, vote for the baby.

There are definitely multiple children in the chambers

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The Onion can't keep up.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1611073282127585301?s=20&t=YUPrc5ff0iJn2viLBzbNDA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

My understanding is even in a crazytown result like Jeffries winning because too many GOP members are out to funerals or whatever the result won't stick because the house can pick a new speaker at any time. So once the missing members are back in DC they'll just vote again.

Is that right?

they would probably vote to adjourn if that was remotely likely

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Clapping for the representatives voting for themselves is literally reddit "and everybody clapped" poo poo

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1611125017533710339

Would be very funny if they get a signed deal and then no votes changed

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 5, 2023

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Robviously posted:

Honestly the HFC probably prefers Jeffries because they can at least argue that they "need to fix things." They ran on changing the culture in Washington and now they are the culture in Washington. They know that they need to keep the frenzy going to survive but that doesn't square the circle when it comes to a functioning government. They are a cudgel and know they need someone to keep swinging at. Or they actually believe the poo poo they're advocating in which case just lol.

Yeah, I think many of them have probably spent almost as much time fulminating against "RINOs," "the swamp," and the "uni-party" than they have against Democrats, really. This is the fight they want--it's them against the swamp, in their minds (or at least in their rhetoric).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Is that right?

If the rules are set that the house can pick a new speaker at any time, sure. The rules have to be approved with each Congress though, which generally happens right after the speaker is chosen. The democrats probably wouldn't accept an outcome where Jeffries gets elected and the rules don't protect him from exactly that. There would definitely be a minimum number of members needed for that in those rules.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope America is ready to witness a very competent and sane GOP lead house get stuff done!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

smoobles posted:

Losing 10 elections in 2 days is a lot, even by Republican standards

Most since the civil war, nice

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Randalor posted:

There is a chance that she's just doing the "Hey, we're willing to reach out and come to an agreement with some Republicans, they're the ones not wanting to work with us" for the people who demand bi-partisanship from their elected officials.

I’m assuming it’s this, given that she’s a) a freshman rep in a flipped district and b) repping Alaska, who’s politicians tend to be a little more independent in their own ways

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I would love to see some interviews with republicans who retired from the house in the last few years about their current feelings about not having to deal with this poo poo. On the other hand, idk how you transcribe 4 minutes of someone belly laughing into the receiver.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Both houses of the Alaska legislature have majority coalitions where some Republicans joined with all the Democrats, it makes sense.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
interesting footnote to all of this:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1611117711911698432?s=20&t=j3FxrEiRsYJ91t10hyt2cA

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I would love to see some interviews with republicans who retired from the house in the last few years about their current feelings about not having to deal with this poo poo. On the other hand, idk how you transcribe 4 minutes of someone belly laughing into the receiver.

"When we reached out to the former representatives, they all just sent us back a picture of them laughing while drinking."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Those same republicans set the stage and groundwork for this shitshow of America. They’re probably all happy.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

:aloom:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So 11 votes in 6 hours.
Thats 44 per day they could have.
2 years until the next congress.
So you could have 16060 votes in the mean time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Piell posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1611125017533710339

Would be very funny if they get a signed deal and then no votes changed

The only way they actually get a deal in writing with the 5 core members of team insanity is if they've got 10 Republicans swearing to god that they'll fall on their swords, vote present, and let Jeffries be Speaker.

And then Team Insanity will still vote no anyway, because nothing could be better for their batshit narrative than RINOs giving the House to the Democrats just to spite REAL MERICA.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

So 11 votes in 6 hours.
Thats 44 per day they could have.
2 years until the next congress.
So you could have 16060 votes in the mean time.

Let’s loving goooooo!!!!

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Same drat totals. Will they adjourn and try to solidify that possible deal?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kammat posted:

Same drat totals. Will they adjourn and try to solidify that possible deal?

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1611131545657696259?s=20

I'm having a hard time seeing a way out of this, aside from numbers-gaming/enough Reps don't vote or vote present to hand it to Jeffries out of spite. It's absurd but so is everything else about this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lmao so he's giving up the kitchen sink for a deal that doesn't even get him a majority?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

McCarthy has no path to speaker and he will be the last person in Washington to realize this

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
this is so loving funny

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lmao so he's giving up the kitchen sink for a deal that doesn't even get him a majority?

Like, he already gave up the kitchen sink. I have no idea what's even left to offer.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

McCarthy should send enough of his votes home such that the HFC crazies have to decide between a republican speaker or a democratic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
eh, not one of my best thread names