Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey thread, have a spaceship from a very good game.

I keep thinking Zathura game but I doubt it (assuming it exists) was a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Probably some sort of super Mario.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

notaspy posted:

Please don't make me feel old.

I enjoyed it at the time but I am scared to watch it now as I fear it won't have aged well.

The ships were awesome.

It has aged very well, just as good now as it was then. Find the new version that HBO Max put out and enjoy the much improved CG over the versions we had before. Though if you watched it on TV at release I think it's the same as that. Seemed like they cleaned up the image quality in general though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

So, Super Mario Odyssey?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This triangular chunky boy showed up in Andor and it’s so doofy, I love it. A Preox-Morlana personnel carrier.

It has these little shuttles underneath it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At first glance I thought it was Ra's mothership.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Star Trek Online answers the question: what if a Romulan warbird got lost and wound up in Tron?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Star Trek Online answers the question: what if a Romulan warbird got lost and wound up in Tron?

This is the future that Far Cry Blood Dragon warned us of.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cythereal posted:

Oh poo poo, it got "Identity Crisis"ed!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Do you think a D'deridex captain would get mad if you parked a medium size starship in that big empty middle bit?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Do you think a D'deridex captain would get mad if you parked a medium size starship in that big empty middle bit?

I remember a book way back when where there was a defecting Romulan warbird and other Romulans were after them and they flew the Enterprise into the gap and the warbird cloaked and hid them both. That would be a very tight fit. I wonder if it could.

And there was a cool-rear end bit in the Star Trek Armada opening cinematic where the Defiant flies through the gap and drops mines as it goes through.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cythereal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA1NT4I0s34&t=1s

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
New winter sale in STO, so I got more boats. The T'Varo - the Enterprise edition of the Romulan warbird - is an interesting one. The Khitomer Alliance skin in particular.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Have a bunch of Star Control ships. They're very wacky and varied. Taken from the Pages of Now and Forever.

I think this one just got hewn from a chunk of rock or asteroid (maybe a piece of a destroyed planet) and an engine installed.

People get hung up on the whole extradimensional horror aspect of the Orz that they often forget about the actual gameplay gimmicks, which don't have anything to do with the lore. A rotating turret and marines in mech suits.

ThEy CoMe In PeAcE

I think one of the less gimmicky concepts for a design. This thing is just a nice chunky bit of machine. It's got a normal forward firing weapon, but also a boost that leaves a damaging firey trail like a tronbike. Maybe they're supposed to be like musclecars.

Weird stuff from some weird, silly aliens. Very hard to use too.

A pretty standard looking ship from some Very Ugly aliens. Their main gimmick is the limpets clinging to enemy ships to slow them down.

Frungy!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Have a bunch of Star Control ships. They're very wacky and varied. Taken from the Pages of Now and Forever.

I think this one just got hewn from a chunk of rock or asteroid (maybe a piece of a destroyed planet) and an engine installed.

People get hung up on the whole extradimensional horror aspect of the Orz that they often forget about the actual gameplay gimmicks, which don't have anything to do with the lore. A rotating turret and marines in mech suits.

ThEy CoMe In PeAcE

I think one of the less gimmicky concepts for a design. This thing is just a nice chunky bit of machine. It's got a normal forward firing weapon, but also a boost that leaves a damaging firey trail like a tronbike. Maybe they're supposed to be like musclecars.

A pretty standard looking ship from some Very Ugly aliens. Their main gimmick is the limpets clinging to enemy ships to slow them down.

Frungy!

What, no Syreen Penetrator?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm sure the game is fun and cool that you enjoy it but every time I see screen shots for it, I'm so absolutely put off by that art style that I'm like "I couldn't play that".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

I'm sure the game is fun and cool that you enjoy it but every time I see screen shots for it, I'm so absolutely put off by that art style that I'm like "I couldn't play that".

I have extremely fond memories of playing the two-player combat mode of Star Control 2, it's a neat little top-down sprite-based spaceship fight game where you choose a roster of ships which are then matched up 1v1 against your opponent's, with winner staying on but not repairing between rounds. All the spaceships have different abilities and weapons which make some matchups hilarious. Trying to take out a heavily armed but slow moving drednaught using a tiny little teleporting saucer armed with short-range lasers but immune to inertia and gravity is a lot of fun.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I spend ages trying to master every ship in Ur Quan Masters. That saucer is one of the highest skill ceilings out of the whole lot, but pretty potent especially when you learn to abuse it's immunity to gravity wells. The Mycon are pretty much impossible to win with though, just a flying brick with an easy to dodge weapon.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
This is making me wonder, was there ever a game where you play as the UFO rather than a human jet or ship? Turning on a dime and insane speed changes all sound like really fun things for a video game, and stealthily creeping on some earthlings while trying to avoid crashing into Area 51 sounds like a blast.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's hard to master the combat, and the art is very dated, but that's because it's a game from 1992. I think the gameplay might be linked to trends that were popular back then as well. I hear that Star Control Origins is more accessible even if it misses some of the spark. Appreciating classics that the world has moved past is hard.

You can also appreciate the world and story through the eyes of an internet weirdo who experienced them back in the day, in the format of a screenshot let's play. That's where I get a lot of my knowledge. http://www.ashido.com/starcon2-1.html

Bug Squash posted:

The Mycon are pretty much impossible to win with though, just a flying brick with an easy to dodge weapon.

You are non. You cannot understand.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sobatchja Morda posted:

This is making me wonder, was there ever a game where you play as the UFO rather than a human jet or ship? Turning on a dime and insane speed changes all sound like really fun things for a video game, and stealthily creeping on some earthlings while trying to avoid crashing into Area 51 sounds like a blast.

I remember something where you exploded cows and stuff, kind of a Mars Attacks as the Martian thing. Can't remember the name though

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Destroy All Humans. Fun game, I think the remastered was on Game Pass recently.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

A friend of mine made a game like this, sadly unreleased. You needed to abduct humans, replace them with pod people, and generally avoid getting seen by anyone other than drunk hicks. It led to very predatorary gameplay where you stalked people going home to rural houses, and getting out of Dodge when reporters showed up.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bug Squash posted:

A friend of mine made a game like this, sadly unreleased. You needed to abduct humans, replace them with pod people, and generally avoid getting seen by anyone other than drunk hicks. It led to very predatorary gameplay where you stalked people going home to rural houses, and getting out of Dodge when reporters showed up.

That sounds fuckin brilliant, why didn't they release it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Sort of, there's X-Morph, a combination tower defense and twin stick shooter game where you play as the aliens invading Earth and fighting hordes of humans and their increasingly ridiculous superweapons. You fly a shape-shifting alien fighter while also managing a network of defense towers to defend the core.

Pretty fun game, it's very knowingly cheesy in a B-movie way. Meet one of the boss fights:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlothfulCobra posted:

ThEy CoMe In PeAcE

Frungy!

This made me a *happy camper* seeing these. I got really good with the Spathi ship with its running away missile launcher. But yea I can totally see someone looking at a game from 30 years ago and saying "naw".

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The Vux Intruder could be plopped unchanged into Star Trek as a Klingon ship.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
One of my favorites not yet mentioned, and the first thing I ever bought with my own money: The Cosmic Fleet Voyager

This thing's dope. The back section is a detachable lab with terminals, tools, and it's own little wheeled rover.

I think someone mentioned earlier that the beauty of sets like these, in opposition to more modern, licensed ones, is that they provided so much to play with without filling in any of the story, so you were free to explore the cosmos in whichever way you saw fit.

Another childhood starship moment: watching “Q Who” and seeing this thing appear on screen:

I love how deeply unsettling it is. Even a sphere has some sort of aesthetic appeal; this was a ferociously ugly cube with no sense of direction or dynamics, and it's already altered course and heading towards you at high warp. Even before you know it's deal, you know it's no good. It's perfect.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pretzellogic posted:

One of my favorites not yet mentioned, and the first thing I ever bought with my own money: The Cosmic Fleet Voyager

This thing's dope. The back section is a detachable lab with terminals, tools, and it's own little wheeled rover.

I think someone mentioned earlier that the beauty of sets like these, in opposition to more modern, licensed ones, is that they provided so much to play with without filling in any of the story, so you were free to explore the cosmos in whichever way you saw fit.

I'm slightly too young to have ever gotten that era of Lego space. I got into Lego around the time of M-Tron, Blacktron II, Space Police II* (just missed Space Police I), and, my personal favorite, Ice Planet.

Give me those sweet, sweet trans orange pieces!
I never got the Deep Freeze Defender as a kid:

But I did have the base, Ice Station Odyssey:

*I guess there was also a THIRD release/design of Space Police in the late Aughts? And one the sets is basically a Space Pimp:

That Space Police era sucked. The first two Space Police were really more like Starfleet, or Green Lantern Corp without magic rings. Space Police III are ACTUAL police. ACAB, and these space cops are clearly just harassing aliens (i.e. minorities) and protecting capital.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This one was great though!

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

one of the all time greatest sets lego has ever made

cheap swooshable and hilarious

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Space Police Striker
I can probably still put this together blind, all three parts; the main ship, the autonomous drone, and the cell.

Space Police Mission Commannder
This, however, was my holy grail that I never could convince my parents to splurge on.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Children!

This is peak lego space ship.

This bad boy had a car in the back, as well as Red AND White spacemen.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

Children!

This bad boy had a car in the back, as well as Red AND White spacemen.

Agreed. Did you see last year's reboot of it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bucnasti posted:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

tribbledirigible posted:

Space Police Striker
I can probably still put this together blind, all three parts; the main ship, the autonomous drone, and the cell.

I loved this one but even as a child it bothered me that the cell pod just had laser cage bars instead of anything solid. blacktron may be criminals but they still have human rights and we shouldn't transport them exposed to vacuum. put a solid door on that.

e:
although a lot of the classic Space & Futuron ships had big open sides in the cockpit glass, or no cockpit covering at all.
I guess they didn't mind keeping their suits on all flight every flight.

including this beauty. must have been one of the first I ever had. wings fold in wings fold out. all day long.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 6, 2023

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm slightly too young to have ever gotten that era of Lego space. I got into Lego around the time of M-Tron, Blacktron II, Space Police II* (just missed Space Police I), and, my personal favorite, Ice Planet.

Give me those sweet, sweet trans orange pieces!
I never got the Deep Freeze Defender as a kid:

But I did have the base, Ice Station Odyssey:

Even though all the official big Ice Planet sets rule, my favorite thing to come of it is still this MOC that it inspired.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cerv posted:

I loved this one but even as a child it bothered me that the cell pod just had laser cage bars instead of anything solid. blacktron may be criminals but they still have human rights and we shouldn't transport them exposed to vacuum. put a solid door on that.

Just lol if you didn't immediately throw the Space Cop in there and let the cool Blacktron guy drive.

Also tbh the Peacekeeper was a better set just because of how swooshable it was. I made a digital version and some variants the other day out of pure nostalgia.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I got the Explorien Starship one Christmas (or was it a birthday? I can't remember). You could do so much with three whole cockpits :allears:

And while it's not a spaceship, I always wanted the Chrome Crusher after playing the Rock Raiders PC game too much

They did have a cool spaceship in the game at least, the LMS Explorer. There was no official model but there's a cool looking unofficial one: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=105148

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This was my favorite lego set until one day my dad got mad about something and fast balled that poo poo into the ground sending it flying every which way. Never did manage to find all the pieces.

The snow sets were dope too esp when you had white carpets to ski on with your little lego mens.