Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

AndyElusive posted:

Man, VMC Steel is so good for airbrushing but so watery out the bottle (I'm talking JUST A DROP of it) that I honestly feel like I have more control of it 24 hours later after some of it has dried on the palette when I brush it on.

How are you guys using it?

I'm using Exhaust Manifold (same consistency) and occasionally Steel, dry palette. Same issue you have, it's extremely thin. I've just made sure it's what I do first and that I have as little touch-up work to do as possible. Not found much other option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

AndyElusive posted:

I brush on from a dry palette and just wick the excess on a paper towel. No issues :shrug:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Man, VMC Steel is so good for airbrushing but so watery out the bottle (I'm talking JUST A DROP of it) that I honestly feel like I have more control of it 24 hours later after some of it has dried on the palette when I brush it on.

I use a little dish - usually a metal mixing try or sometimes a flipped base. Put a drop of VMC on it and then tilt the container so the drop runs across it and then i find the paint at the top of the run is pretty much the perfect thickness

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I only airbrush VMC, because I also dislike the consistency for paintbrush work.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It'll be interesting to see how that speedpaint metal comes out, they have some examples and it looks great

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It'll be interesting to see how that speedpaint metal comes out, they have some examples and it looks great

I wish the whole speedpaint 2.0 range would come out already

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I personally am really warming to Pro Acryl metallics. Similar coverage to scale, but the chemistry is way more stable and easy to mix.

They're releasing 60 new colours this year, and the only extras I really want metallics wise is a dark silver that's a little warmer, and that's about it. Solid range.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lucinice posted:

I wish the whole speedpaint 2.0 range would come out already

And the Vallejo contrasts

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

AndyElusive posted:

Have you touched the metallic air paint? That stuff is insane.

Airbrush it, paint with it directly, just saw 10/10 all around

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Donna Tello is one of the few to survive an attack of the Blue Shell Pirates, just a lucky child who was knocked unconscious in a place they didn't loot thoroughly enough. She's spent her entire life training to hunt them down, and she's almost ready.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Yeast posted:

I personally am really warming to Pro Acryl metallics. Similar coverage to scale, but the chemistry is way more stable and easy to mix.

They're releasing 60 new colours this year, and the only extras I really want metallics wise is a dark silver that's a little warmer, and that's about it. Solid range.

I've fallen for Pro Acryl recently and picked up their whole line. I know about the 12 colors coming out tomorrow, but I didn't know they had another 48 coming over the year. Have they said anything more about them?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Smother it on all watery for base costs. For anything else I get a lot of it off on my palette or back of my hand before putting it on a model

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Donna Tello is one of the few to survive an attack of the Blue Shell Pirates, just a lucky child who was knocked unconscious in a place they didn't loot thoroughly enough. She's spent her entire life training to hunt them down, and she's almost ready.

She is beauty, she is grace

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Muir posted:

I've fallen for Pro Acryl recently and picked up their whole line. I know about the 12 colors coming out tomorrow, but I didn't know they had another 48 coming over the year. Have they said anything more about them?

Haha me too, I went and bought the whole range.

I haven’t heard anything other than ‘it’s going to be a big year’

Actually I haven’t bought the washes yet- I’ll have to see if they’re in stock locally.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

HopperUK posted:

She is beauty, she is grace

Do you ever think about how turtles are very difficult to sex so any of the four teenage mutant ninja turtles could actually have been women and nobody would know, not even splinter? I do.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Do you ever think about how turtles are very difficult to sex so any of the four teenage mutant ninja turtles could actually have been women and nobody would know, not even splinter? I do.

No, I didn't know that about them, but I am entirely happy with this idea!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

I feel like this would be a problem easily solved by a single (1) croc shoe

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like this would be a problem easily solved by a single (1) croc shoe

Leatherhead didn't wear shoes, though?

edit: apparently he DID wear shoes in the cartoon, so a croc shoe did not help.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Leatherhead didn't wear shoes, though?

edit: apparently he DID wear shoes in the cartoon, so a croc shoe did not help.

I'm more making a reference to a *checks notes* 8-9 year old youtube meme

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

NinjaDebugger posted:

With mutant turtles, it's very easy - you just look for small breasts and the prominent V:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished up my Marik Militia

Heavy Battle Lance

Battle Lance

Raider Lance

Marik Militia Company

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

painting up some 30k world eaters with my own heads, does anyone know how best to cover this fellow in blood?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I've been pleased with the Citadel blood technical paint (Blood for the Blood God)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

painting up some 30k world eaters with my own heads, does anyone know how best to cover this fellow in blood?

Have you considered your own?

Depending on how covered you want dude to be, I've seen quite a few painters use the "flick brush ends near the model" method and the more fancy move is to shoot air out of your airbrush at your brush tips to get the same effect but more expensively :v:

Again depending on what you are trying to achieve keep in mind that dried blood will be darker than fresh blood.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Communist Thoughts posted:

Mix still water effect, dark red paint, burnt umber ink until you get a blood color you want. Note that actual blood is a lot darker than you think. Everyone loves using a very cheesy bright red that's basically just used by indie horror movies so they don't get NC17 ratings.

This stuff but different paints

Mixed the color

Then take a stiff bristled brush, load a decent amount but not an overwhelming amount, and flick the bristles to splatter the effect onto the model. Test on a surface before splattering it on your model

Here's a decent video on how to get the splatter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4comhKHJM&t=845s

Remember, less is more. Don't just cover the whole thing in splatter and make your dude a blood polka dot marine. Be intentional with where the splatter is coming from. On that gellerpox I held the brush down and to it's left like where something would be when it's hit by the cleaver. The entire back side of the model has no blood on it because why would it?

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 6, 2023

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
A helpful trick if using citadel products is to place contrast down on a location before coming in with a thin line of blood for the blood god to make runny cuts, and similar effects.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Imo blood effects aren’t done well the majority of the time. Definitely go dark and less-is-more. eBay is full of perfectly good models ruined by overly generous amounts of BftBG

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I learned very quickly on the first model I used BftBG on that it was easy to overapply it. It looks great while it's still wet, then after drying you realize you've gone too far. Now a quick splattering where an arc of a weapon swing would be and some gore matter on a blunt weapon is all I go for.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Some tasteful sponging works well with BftBG, I find. A lot easier to direct than a spatter.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I might be the odd person out, but I generally dislike blood or blood effects on my models. I will only put them on if it is absolutely necessary. I just don't like them in general.

Ninja edit to add I don't purchase the "blood" dlcs for the total war video games either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In regards to acrylic realistic water products, is there a way to block and remove and area to get a looking in the water from the side effect? I've seen this done with resin pours but I've only seen acrylic ponds and puddles etc.

I guess an easier question might be does anyone know of good materials for not sticking to acrylic?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

In regards to acrylic realistic water products, is there a way to block and remove and area to get a looking in the water from the side effect? I've seen this done with resin pours but I've only seen acrylic ponds and puddles etc.

I guess an easier question might be does anyone know of good materials for not sticking to acrylic?

So I used woodland scenic's realistic water stuff which is acrylic when I made bases for my orcs. I was initially worried that it might look striated or weird because with acrylic you need to do multiple pours for any height. What I learned is that basic scotch tape works well enough because the acrylic is pretty viscous and starts to set pretty quickly. When I removed the tape I also used a knife to cut the water effect so it had a bevel that was close to or matched the base, and it seemed to work. That might work for you, but it might help to test a small area first.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

https://instagram.com/maverickspaint?igshid=Yzg5MTU1MDY=

This IG account does some crazy blood, dismembering, gore effects. So if you're into that click, if not then don't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So I used woodland scenic's realistic water stuff which is acrylic when I made bases for my orcs. I was initially worried that it might look striated or weird because with acrylic you need to do multiple pours for any height. What I learned is that basic scotch tape works well enough because the acrylic is pretty viscous and starts to set pretty quickly. When I removed the tape I also used a knife to cut the water effect so it had a bevel that was close to or matched the base, and it seemed to work. That might work for you, but it might help to test a small area first.

Right on. Right before I read this I watched a night shift video where he used scotch tape and sanded off the tape goo and then just painted the sheen back on and I was like :doh: after I'm sitting here thinking about making a wood frame or something lol. but yeah I'm gonna do a test run but it doesn't get much easier than tape. Thanks!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I might be the odd person out, but I generally dislike blood or blood effects on my models. I will only put them on if it is absolutely necessary. I just don't like them in general.

Ninja edit to add I don't purchase the "blood" dlcs for the total war video games either.

i basically havent put blood on a model since i was a kid but i figure its appropriate for these guys and an opportunity to learn a new technique

plus im basing the scheme off this fanart

and wanna do the sorta newly drenched in blood look

e: i very much do need the blood DLC though

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Brother Marteau guards the all important crystal fields, but even the holy knights cannot stop the Blue Shell Pirates from taking what they will. They are the only way to obtain the crystals outside the church itself.

Not entirely happy with this guy, especially the cloak, which didn't want to do any sort of cooperating and I just got tired of redoing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My first model of 2023:

I've wanted to use these old oop Iron Hands legs for a while and thought it would be fun.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Vallejo has both wet and dried blood paints in their Game Effect line, and they both look great if you apply them sparingly in thin but uneven layers.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Hopefully someone can help me with an airbrush coupling question - I bought a new Creos Procon Boy airbrush and I'm looking to hook it up to a badger style hose. It's going to replace my patriot but I think I still want to use my sotar without swapping at the compressor end.

Any ideas which adapter to use? Do the Creos brushes use the same threading as Iwata?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Air tools are a universal threading, im unsure if the same is true for these specific brands, but my mastercraft airbrush took standard couplers

Your best bet is to take your airbrush and hose into a hardware store and fit the pieces there.