Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

When Concur is looking attractive I wonder what abuse you’ve been subjected to at previous jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

luminalflux posted:

When Concur is looking attractive I wonder what abuse you’ve been subjected to at previous jobs

we had a time and expense reporting system built off of excel macros that had to be run in compatibility mode and did not allow for more than 20 expense lines to be submitted in any given week. also for a very long time we had to mail in or turn in all our physical receipts. i think we were allowed to email receipts in about 2017 or so but that was through email to our accounting admin.

note that we are only using it for expense reporting, i don't have to touch its known hideous travel booking poo poo

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
If you have status you can also play with timings for return journeys, and just do free SDCs with the airline once ticketed, though this will screw with any upgrades.

A bit more sketch with meetings for outbound journeys.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we had a time and expense reporting system built off of excel macros that had to be run in compatibility mode and did not allow for more than 20 expense lines to be submitted in any given week. also for a very long time we had to mail in or turn in all our physical receipts. i think we were allowed to email receipts in about 2017 or so but that was through email to our accounting admin.

note that we are only using it for expense reporting, i don't have to touch its known hideous travel booking poo poo

mein gott

I'm so sorry. We're on Tripactions, and everything must be booked via Tripactions, as well as paid via the TA card. So no credit card points, just the airline FF miles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

We were a little consulting firm so big infrastructure was too expensive. It's the best of all worlds right now as far as I can tell because I can book whatever the gently caress I want using my own personal credit cards, same as before, and then I report it all in a much better system.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Any suggested places to eat near Dulles? Not flying, so not in the airport. Just visiting an office near there for a couple days. I have a couple favorites in DC, but that would be a bit far after work.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Business Travel update: I have a godawful ear infection.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
There's a Peruvian chicken place around there that's awesome, it's been a while since I've been in the area though. The food gets better the closer you get to DC in my experience.

Edit: I gave myself a sinus infection and thought my head was going to explode twice yesterday, guess I get to look like a tweaker when I go to ask for the good decongestant before flying home.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 11, 2023

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Funny you mention it, I have one day of drops left on this simultaneous ear and eye infection. I think I saw some Peruvian place on Google maps, I'll have to check it out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Any suggested places to eat near Dulles? Not flying, so not in the airport. Just visiting an office near there for a couple days. I have a couple favorites in DC, but that would be a bit far after work.

Ciao Osteria is good Italian in Centreville. Pho 102 near the Lotte in Chantilly is good pho. Taste of Hong Kong in a different part of that shopping center is good Chinese. Piero's Corner Restaurant in Franklin Farm is another good Italian place.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I’m baaaaaaack

Two years of working a normal job and I started to get the itch to get back into a customer-facing role. I’m now on week two of a new gig and am flying out to Portugal at the end of the month. My travel shouldn’t be as brutal as it was in my last job, maybe only flying somewhere once a month or every other month. I think at that kind of cadence it’ll be enough that it stays kind of fresh and doesn’t leave me wondering what the gently caress I’m doing with my life

e:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Well it was fun while it lasted, thread, but starting next year I'm going back to a regular 'ol office job so my life on the road is over for now. Right now I'm trying to decide on what to do with my Chase points. I currently have about $1.5k worth, so the redemption on travel is worth about $750 alone. The problem is hitting the $300 travel reimbursement is gonna be kind of tough with the whole global pandemic thing going on, but even if I don't use it I still come out ahead on the points redemption. Any ideas?

I cancelled the CSR after blowing all the remaining points. Im probably gonna be in the market for a new travel card pretty soon. What’s the current hotness? Still CSR?

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 11, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Still CSR?

Or Amex Plat depending on where you're focusing loyalty. I have referrals with bonus points if you need.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I’m baaaaaaack

Two years of working a normal job and I started to get the itch to get back into a customer-facing role. I’m now on week two of a new gig and am flying out to Portugal at the end of the month. My travel shouldn’t be as brutal as it was in my last job, maybe only flying somewhere once a month or every other month. I think at that kind of cadence it’ll be enough that it stays kind of fresh and doesn’t leave me wondering what the gently caress I’m doing with my life

e:

I cancelled the CSR after blowing all the remaining points. Im probably gonna be in the market for a new travel card pretty soon. What’s the current hotness? Still CSR?

If you're Delta, Amex of some type -- I gave them $40K last year + am Diamond but that doesn't mean poo poo for SkyClub access compared to anyone who pays Amex for the appropriate card.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I’m baaaaaaack

e:

CSR still allows statement credit redemptions with the 50% bonus that used to be restricted to travel and other stuff. I would have cancelled it long ago if not for that. I don’t travel for work right now so with all the benefits , minus the annual fee gets me right around the value I would probably get from the free BofA straight 1% card or whatever. Maybe a little more.

It’s my daily driver and only regularly used CC, has been for several years.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
glad I took the last flight out of SFO last night.

apparently the Notam system took a poo poo and now UA has a company-wide ground stop?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-11/us-flights-disrupted-after-outage-of-faa-pilot-advisory-system?srnd=premium&sref=FwBADu0L

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Inner Light posted:

CSR still allows statement credit redemptions with the 50% bonus that used to be restricted to travel and other stuff.

Check your card, CSR reduced the benefit for 2023. Now it’s a 25% bonus on different categories (groceries and gas.) And CSP it is completely worthless now.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

glad I took the last flight out of SFO last night.

apparently the Notam system took a poo poo and now UA has a company-wide ground stop?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-11/us-flights-disrupted-after-outage-of-faa-pilot-advisory-system?srnd=premium&sref=FwBADu0L

Oof, you got lucky! Maybe go buy a lottery ticket or something.

We’ll see if that affects my flights tomorrow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My incredibly clever plan to have meetings until noon PST and fly back to the east coast from the west coast on the last afternoon flight to avoid the redeye has obviously been thoroughly hosed up by this.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smackfu posted:

Check your card, CSR reduced the benefit for 2023. Now it’s a 25% bonus on different categories (groceries and gas.) And CSP it is completely worthless now.

Nooooooooo I knew this wouldn’t last too long post covid disruptions, it really increased the value of the card. Since it turned it into a straight cash back card instead of travel portal BS for full rewards.

Bastards. Thanks for the heads up. CSR doesn’t have a lot of competition except amex and I’m not gonna pay that fee.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My incredibly clever plan to have meetings until noon PST and fly back to the east coast from the west coast on the last afternoon flight to avoid the redeye has obviously been thoroughly hosed up by this.

Ouch, that sucks. Hope you can make it home without too much bullshit.

But I'd take a 6AM flight tomorrow over a redeye tonight (or ever).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
tiny crjs suck and i hate them :mad:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

tiny crjs suck and i hate them :mad:

Hope you don't fly AA.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beef Of Ages posted:

Hope you don't fly AA.

delta. but the closest airport is basically just CRJs to the hub, and when you have a stupid set of flights with a 22 minute layover cant even risk gate checking a normal carryon and its dumb.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

delta. but the closest airport is basically just CRJs to the hub, and when you have a stupid set of flights with a 22 minute layover cant even risk gate checking a normal carryon and its dumb.

Upside is you'll be upgraded to larger CRJs in the spring. :downsrim:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Beef Of Ages posted:

Upside is you'll be upgraded to larger CRJs in the spring. :downsrim:

hey if i can fit my travelpro carryon in the overheads and not have to gate check it everydamn time on my usual 5am to detroit that would be nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

Ouch, that sucks. Hope you can make it home without too much bullshit.

But I'd take a 6AM flight tomorrow over a redeye tonight (or ever).

got poo poo to do tomorrow

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Spoke to the bartender at the CLT centurion lounge. He said they go through 40 bottles of Cabernet per day, 100 bottles of Prosecco on a 7-1pm shift and 175 bottles of Tito’s (the liquor they provide the most of) per week. He said in all his experience as a bartender on cruises and other high throughput locations, he’s never seen a place go through so much alcohol so quickly

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cacafuego posted:

Spoke to the bartender at the CLT centurion lounge. He said they go through 40 bottles of Cabernet per day, 100 bottles of Prosecco on a 7-1pm shift and 175 bottles of Tito’s (the liquor they provide the most of) per week. He said in all his experience as a bartender on cruises and other high throughput locations, he’s never seen a place go through so much alcohol so quickly

I believe it. Every time I've been in there they are constantly slangin dranks. They make a really good rye manhattan, too.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Cacafuego posted:

In contrast to cruises and all inclusive resorts where it's the same people who get poo poo faced the first few nights and then stop, airports are literally a revolving door of customers so it's a poor comparison.

Also that the only free beer in Admiral Clubs is Bud Light is kinda.. not good

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I mean it’s usually free bc work is paying for it and if I’m in a centurion lounge or in CLT something has gone wrong so you bet your rear end I’m drinking

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

taco show posted:

if I’m in a centurion lounge or in CLT something has gone wrong so you bet your rear end I’m drinking

I feel seen

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I've cut way, way back on my lounge and plane drinking and I'm gonna be honest: my life is a lot better for it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've cut way, way back on my lounge and plane drinking and I'm gonna be honest: my life is a lot better for it.

Same but sometimes I want to be able to sleep on the plane.

I finally got Avis to drop the charges for refusing to drive on tires with cords showing. I'll have to be pretty desperate before renting from them again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I sleep better on the plane if I don't drink, which I will admit is both rare and fortunate.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
It's rare I get drunk in lounges/on planes but I'll grab a glass of wine or two sometimes. I do really like having the option though.

Has anyone ever asked AA, and had success, to start counting trips/mileage to next year's status window? Essentially asking for rollover similar to what Delta offers (offered?). I have a last minute trip to Poland coming up and there's almost zero chance I'll hit exec plat by the end of February.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Lyon posted:

It's rare I get drunk in lounges/on planes but I'll grab a glass of wine or two sometimes. I do really like having the option though.

Has anyone ever asked AA, and had success, to start counting trips/mileage to next year's status window? Essentially asking for rollover similar to what Delta offers (offered?). I have a last minute trip to Poland coming up and there's almost zero chance I'll hit exec plat by the end of February.

I have 193k mqms already with Delta, I'm pretty sure they're still doing rollover.

It's rare for me to drink on planes now but after a bad week all bets are off. I still can't figure out how to sleep on a plane without help, or in general for that matter. I will totally have a beer with dinner if I'm at Stone Arch in MSP though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
According to everything I've seen, and asked in here, AA isn't planning on doing rollovers. Which is stupid because I have no incentive to drive spend to their linked card now that I'm over the threshold.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
rollover is still a thing. i was like 10 miles short for platinum status this year mainly because i was tired of dealing with covid and sick people and all the miles rolled over jan 1

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rollover is still a thing. i was like 10 miles short for platinum status this year mainly because i was tired of dealing with covid and sick people and all the miles rolled over jan 1

AA year is Feb tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Y'all need weed mints. Pop them an hr before the flight. Zonk out on the plane.