Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I wouldn't mind grinding for crafting materials if you got enough in a mission to roll one thing. As it stands, I spend 35 minutes slugging through a Damnation level and walk out with only a fraction of a roll, meaning I have to run multiple missions just to do one thing. It shouldn't take multiple runs/hours to get one dice roll.

This was solved in Vermintide. You got three random things in your lootbox after each mission, frequently got bonus lootboxes, and if you didn't like what you got you could break it all down and craft the EXACT weapon you wanted to play with. But Darktide needed to add in more ways to keep people logged in and engaged because of capitalism, so they added the shop with an hourly refresh timer and crafting that doesn't work and costs too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Fishstick posted:

Also its like the nth 40k game to use Nurgle as a main antagonist. Nurgle fatigue

Yup, they should have fully swapped to Genestealer Cults. They could have introduced Nurgle later if they wanted since there's an entire meta story about Tyranids and Nurgle going head to head anyway.

Even better if the two enemy factions could also fight each other. I'd love to walk in on a firefight between both factions and watch how they decide to attack both the players and the other enemy AI.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I wouldn't mind grinding for crafting materials if you got enough in a mission to roll one thing. As it stands, I spend 35 minutes slugging through a Damnation level and walk out with only a fraction of a roll, meaning I have to run multiple missions just to do one thing. It shouldn't take multiple runs/hours to get one dice roll.

This was solved in Vermintide. You got three random things in your lootbox after each mission, frequently got bonus lootboxes, and if you didn't like what you got you could break it all down and craft the EXACT weapon you wanted to play with. But Darktide needed to add in more ways to keep people logged in and engaged because of capitalism, so they added the shop with an hourly refresh timer and crafting that doesn't work and costs too much.

100% agreed

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vastly preferred VT2's loot progression of near-perfect oranges of any configuration being extremely easy to acquire, but you also have the option to challenge yourself by doing full book legend runs to craft an imperceptibly superior red version that only exists to satisfy your desire to have "the best", which still isn't particularly time-consuming. Then if you want, you can get into a longer-term RNG grind for a naturally dropped version so that you can have the glowy skin.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah I loved that about VT2. Upgrading a new weapon to red so I can get +0.4% attack speed and +0.2% more crit over my orange, but now it is PERFECT, hell yeah. And then thinking "hmm maybe I'll get a red version of each weapon" and I'm somewhere in the middle of doing that. Forever

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i really hope as crafting gets fully implemented they also overhaul the item progression. Its absurd to me that Melk's shop is full of 320 or lower rated weapons. Someone said its the best place to get "rare" blessings, but you have to grind for 2 weeks of weekly contracts with bonuses to afford 1 item??? That you're going to breakdown for its blessing? And the initial blurb kinda hinted you'd need 3 blessings to craft one or something? Uh what? The RNG lootbox price from Melk should be the price for all the guns or they should have 380 stats. We need to be getting like 10x plasteel and 2x diamantine. The RNG should should be spitting out highly rated guns once you're 30.

Its crazy to think of the time investments required to craft 1 thing, when crafting 1 thing in darktide potentially means you have a piece of poo poo you dont want to use lol

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I just wish that doing runs on heresy and damnation would actually progress you faster than just speed running malice, since plasteel is the bottleneck and caps out around there.

Malice is a little too easy and hard to fail once you geared up your favorite weapon and curio stats.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 5, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kaysette posted:

cool: tense moments with heroics, feels good to squeak out a win after escaping hordes of chaos

good: most parts of actual gameplay, most sounds, the music, the inquisition

not cool: the cosmetic cash shop is the most fully finished part of the game

not good: bugs, crashes, limited communication from devs, lack of balance, nurgle

Pretty sure the cash shop still crashes if you leave it open, actually :v:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I just wish that doing runs on heresy and damnation would actually progress you faster than just speed running malice, since plasteel is the bottleneck and caps out around there.

Malice is a little too easy and hard to fail once you geared up your favorite weapon and curio stats.

Yea I try to run damnation or heresy only because i enjoy the craziness of it all, but like right now on my vet I have like 1500 diamantine and 600 plasteel because of this... I think if I combined all of my 4 characters together I'd have like 6000 diamantine and 2000 plasteel which isn't even enough to fully upgrade 1 weapon.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

I reached a point in VT2 where there was just... nothing further to get. In fact I'm willing to bet there are a fair number of goons itt who have all the red weapons they'll ever want, red accessories and still find room to play the game once in a while.

The game is fun enough on its own to not really require +**progression**+, but its existence makes the gameplay less enjoyable, it's a really weird paradox.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
I actually got bored with Darktide and went back to Deep Rock - DRG by comparison is so much less stressful and more chill, and the game modes seem to offer more variety (at least to me). Once you hit level 30 in Darktide it just seems like the replayability takes a nosedive.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Me and my friends all still enjoy the game and play regularly and I personally enjoy playing my 30's on high difficulties, but of course the game still needs more patches and everything outside of the missions is purposefully a pain to interact with to increase the length of the grind so people get distracted from the issues.

And a lot of these issues get extra frustrating because they had these exact same issues in previous games but they just keep stepping on those rakes.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Fishstick posted:

Also its like the nth 40k game to use Nurgle as a main antagonist. Nurgle fatigue

Why is this exactly? Is it because it's easier to make assets that look good (or appropriately bad, I guess) in the Nurgle palette/style?

I am disappointed that they didn't actually do much with Nurgle, besides the Beast. I kept waiting for a special or a boss that wasn't just a guy with a gun.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nurgle's gimmicks are "hordes of infested" and "absurdly tough units", both of which happen to lend themselves very well to videogame things as trash mobs and boss enemies, respectively. Tzeentch is more of a subtle plotter that dabbles in Weird poo poo, Khorne is more of an all-out-war sort of fellow and all of his forces practice martial excellence, Slaanesh just wants to build as many fuckdungeons as possible, and Malal is [REDACTED]

It's entirely possible to make games with the other Chaos Gods as the opposing factions, but none of their forces lend themselves quite so well to the Videogame Structure as Nurgle does.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Yea I try to run damnation or heresy only because i enjoy the craziness of it all, but like right now on my vet I have like 1500 diamantine and 600 plasteel because of this... I think if I combined all of my 4 characters together I'd have like 6000 diamantine and 2000 plasteel which isn't even enough to fully upgrade 1 weapon.

Upgrading a gray item will only cost you 150 Plasteel.

Upgrading a green item will cost you 200 Plasteel and 50 Diamantine.

Upgrading to Purple quality costs 150 Diamantite and 400 Plasteel.

Upgrading to Orange quality costs 350 Diamantite and 900 Plasteel.

Total: 1650 plasteel and 550 diamantine from grey to orange. If you want to roll a perk to your exact specifications and have to brute force it, it's another 99 Diamantine and 299 Plasteel.

So total total (not accounting for the new system of blessing management): 1949 plasteel and 649 diamantine.

I can't imagine that the infinite reroll perks is going to last.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Avasculous posted:

Why is this exactly? Is it because it's easier to make assets that look good (or appropriately bad, I guess) in the Nurgle palette/style?

I'm gonna say it's because the average player who might only be vaguely familiar with the 40k setting can make sense of the aesthetic very easily. The basic enemies are zombies or zombie cultists, and the elite enemies are roided out cultists, watch out for those guys.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Avasculous posted:

I am disappointed that they didn't actually do much with Nurgle, besides the Beast. I kept waiting for a special or a boss that wasn't just a guy with a gun.

Well running down the other factions, Orks and Necrons have the problem of being too homogeneous as factions(not to mention Necrons are a bit too high powered for non strategy games), Eldar don't really work as primary antagonists(while Dark Eldar have the problem Slaanesh has), Tau despite GW's best efforts to make them more grim still come off as not suitable as antagonists either(its telling that the one non strategy game they've been in had you play as one), and the other three Chaos factions all have issues that make them unsuitable to be the primary focus of a game(Khorne is too focused on melee, Slaanesh is just too NSFW, and Tzeentch's guys are all either almost as boring as Khorne's or they're the kind of weirdos that would be a pain in the rear end to do 3D models for)

Which is why non strategy 40k games use Nurgle or Tyranids 90% of the time

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

they should do slaneesh so we can hordes of mdma cultists screaming about pleasure. you can still even have big bois who are body sculpting for max physique

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm gonna say it's because the average player who might only be vaguely familiar with the 40k setting can make sense of the aesthetic very easily. The basic enemies are zombies or zombie cultists, and the elite enemies are roided out cultists, watch out for those guys.

That said, imagining a Slaanesh-led Tide feels like it would be just valleys of alien penises and other orifices.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

That said, imagining a Slaanesh-led Tide feels like it would be just valleys of alien penises and other orifices.

And there I stand, leather gimp mask on, hammer in hand. Paradise

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Honestly a Slannesh-Tide would look more or less the same for the melee trash mobs, just with less Zombie and more Drug Fueled Rampage. Hell, the Trapper and the Flamers already have an appropriate disposition.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

There's a severe lack of imagination on most posters parts when they say the other gods aren't as usable as Nurgle's forces.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Man, this game's load times are really inexcusable.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

litany of gulps posted:

And there I stand, leather gimp mask on, hammer in hand. Paradise

The one time where the Crusher Thunder Hammer is better than the Eviscerator

Kith posted:

Honestly a Slannesh-Tide would look more or less the same for the melee trash mobs, just with less Zombie and more Drug Fueled Rampage. Hell, the Trapper and the Flamers already have an appropriate disposition.

We do not need more people lusting over the Trapper, dammit

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jerkface posted:

they should do slaneesh so we can hordes of mdma cultists screaming about pleasure. you can still even have big bois who are body sculpting for max physique

Someone made a slaneesh joke when I was clutching to rescue the rest of the team and I literally laughed out loud and missed a trapper net.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

widespread posted:

The one time where the Crusher Thunder Hammer is better than the Eviscerator

Would definitely be paying ten bucks for the Emperor's Fist hammer skin

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Relax, Khorne armies are perfectly kid friendly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I reached a point in VT2 where there was just... nothing further to get. In fact I'm willing to bet there are a fair number of goons itt who have all the red weapons they'll ever want, red accessories and still find room to play the game once in a while.

The game is fun enough on its own to not really require +**progression**+, but its existence makes the gameplay less enjoyable, it's a really weird paradox.

Last time I looked, I think I had north of 200 unopened VT2 Legend Emp chest rewards, because there's literally nothing left that I need to open them for.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Goddamn, this game is still super loving crashy for me.

Had a game where it crashed, couldn't reconnect.

Then next game, crashed, could reconnect. Then 2 minutes later had a crash to reboot my PC.

Yeah same, I've had crashes that restarted my computer on Darktide, and still crash every 3 or 4 games, or sometimes even just loading into the ship. I'm tired enough of it that I'm just going to play other poo poo until they fix it

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Carew posted:

Man, this game's load times are really inexcusable.

Agreed. I'm not exactly on a potato here and I'm still looking down a 2 minute load to get to the Mourningstar.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fishstick posted:

There was a cool Dawn of War campaign that featured Nurgle-worshipping Imperial Guard, I think it was DoW2: Retribution

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What other warhammer games have come out recently which featured Nurgle? There's certainly been a ton of games recently.

There's been from my memory:
Mechanicus - necrons
Armada 2 - features everybody
Total War Warhammer III - features everybody
Necromunda: Hired Gun - mostly gangers and some genestealers
Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - nurgle
Shootas, Blood & Teef - Imperium

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fishstick posted:

Ah, nurgle cultists.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah same, I've had crashes that restarted my computer on Darktide, and still crash every 3 or 4 games, or sometimes even just loading into the ship. I'm tired enough of it that I'm just going to play other poo poo until they fix it

I was getting a lot of restarts in the week after release (like one every other mission or so), so I opened up my computer and dusted it really thoroughly (like, soaking the heatsink in water to get it cleaned). Also it turns out my CPU was on the wrong side of the heatsink so I wasn't getting optimal airflow. No restarts since I fixed that, so I think the game is just really demanding and causes computers to overheat easily.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I understand this is a game as a service, but written by one of BL's top tier authors, so maybe we'll get gene stealers? Space marines/chaos?

tau waifus?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Still curious what the BL authors even wrote since there's no story.

Everything currently in the game could have been written on the back of a napkin.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Chainswords sound aenemic.

Power sword looks more like a power wide blade knife in hand.

Are Ogryns dummy fun to play?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just upgraded this tonight, can't wait to give it a live test run. In the meat grinder, it seems to be exactly the absurd one-shot machine that it ought to be.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Demilich posted:

Still curious what the BL authors even wrote since there's no story.

All the backstories for the mtx skins.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
but what about THE TRAITOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH