Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Paracelsus posted:

The manga for Mob does eventually touch on why the society is structured that way. I don't think it's particularly accurate to say that most authority figures in Mob are male; the men we see are largely children of the aristocracy, but within households they are still going to be subservient to their wives or masters. Men can also be chattel.

One thing that always struck me about Mob was how it's some big plot point that the wives all have... uh, whatever the male form of concubine is, and how some men are so desperate to find wives they even allow their wives to have relationships with other human men and how this is a big humiliating thing. But it's also established and then immediately ignored that the men on their islands have their own concubines that they have children with, IIRC that comes up in background of the MC.

That isn't a "the women are running wild" moment, that's a "the women are doing the same thing the men are, how 'horrible'" moment.

And yeah, I realize many of the womens' lovers are demihuman slaves, and if the series concentrated on how that's the bad thing it would be different, but the slaves bit barely even gets a mention that I recall, and the big scandal was letting them have normal human lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the slaves, who had no reason to be loyal because they were slaves, betrayed the women who owned and raped them. the horror of it all! i think they were all then summarily executed.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Nemo2342 posted:

The Greatest Estate Developer

Currently one of my favorites in the "rear end in a top hat protagonist" style of isekais, the story has a pretty basic setup: civil engineer wakes up in a LN isekai world, but is a completely worthless minor character who only serves to set the protagonist on his journey of adventure.

While it does have some of the basic LitRPG elements, his main powers are being able to plan out massive public works projects, having cute mascot animals to use as heavy machinery, and being a complete rear end in a top hat when he needs to get his way.

It's not as sociopathic as a lot of the other stories that feature an rear end in a top hat protagonist, but the author definitely has Opinions when it comes to mercy or turning the other cheek so I hesitate to toss it into the wholesome thread. Still I enjoy the MCs antics, and the way he ends up playing against the more savy characters like his bodyguard or the Queen is incredible.

How do you effectively read webtoons on a desktop computer? I find the constant scrolling irritating.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I mostly read webtoons on my phone, but on desktop I'll zoom out 30-50% to make it much more readable.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dipwood posted:

How do you effectively read webtoons on a desktop computer? I find the constant scrolling irritating.

Its still annoying but: page up/down.
Or use a mouse with a free scrolling wheel.
Or make your monitor vertical.

anything to avert RSI, because reading vertical comics on desktop sounds like a shortcut to carpal tunnel.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 6, 2023

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

Paracelsus posted:

The manga for Mob does eventually touch on why the society is structured that way. I don't think it's particularly accurate to say that most authority figures in Mob are male; the men we see are largely children of the aristocracy, but within households they are still going to be subservient to their wives or masters. Men can also be chattel.

Well, which authority figures are you thinking of? The kingdom faction leaders are a marquis, duke, and king. Oh, and it's called a kingdom. If the first two have wives pulling their strings it hasn't been on camera. The queen's been more of a backroom dealmaker but I'm not sure which one is in the royal line.

Over in the enemy country there's been male knights and fleet leaders. It's their job to go die in war, so fair enough, but it makes them more active in the story. I'll reserve judgement about the two princesses until their scheme comes to fruition, but so far they've just schemed against dumbasses and used a magic flute.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mordecai posted:

Well, which authority figures are you thinking of? The kingdom faction leaders are a marquis, duke, and king. Oh, and it's called a kingdom. If the first two have wives pulling their strings it hasn't been on camera. The queen's been more of a backroom dealmaker but I'm not sure which one is in the royal line.

The queen was who I was thinking of, yes. I'm not sure if the term rendered in English as kingdom was intended to carry the connotations that you seem to be assigning it, and even in our world the United Kingdom still retained that name under long-serving Queens.

quote:

Over in the enemy country there's been male knights and fleet leaders. It's their job to go die in war, so fair enough, but it makes them more active in the story. I'll reserve judgement about the two princesses until their scheme comes to fruition, but so far they've just schemed against dumbasses and used a magic flute.

The other county doesn't have the same rules; the matriarchal rules were a system specifically set up in the kingdom to control the nobility and the use of their military power (esp. the airships iirc).

Edit: Also, I think part of the point was that the whole society was designed to create the possibility of a reverse harem ending for a (bad) otome game, often without deeper thought put into it.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 6, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The answer is probably because people would be like 'ugh, it's like history class' but I wonder where all the Isekai into old Japan structured fantasy lands are or if I'm just not finding those.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

The answer is probably because people would be like 'ugh, it's like history class' but I wonder where all the Isekai into old Japan structured fantasy lands are or if I'm just not finding those.

There’s a number of time travel manga, particularly where the mc meets Oda Nobunaga

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s a number of time travel manga, particularly where the mc meets Oda Nobunaga

Less time travel more, the world looks more Japanese themed instead of looking so Arthurian with knights and castles. Maybe it's all just been a subtle Dragon Quest reference the entire time.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Spanish Matlock posted:

It sucks because it has that whole Skies of Arcadia X Gundam setting which is pretty cool.

Read Knights and Magic instead for more of that.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

dipwood posted:

Same way I read the forums, using the scroll wheel on my mouse.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

The queen was who I was thinking of, yes. I'm not sure if the term rendered in English as kingdom was intended to carry the connotations that you seem to be assigning it, and even in our world the United Kingdom still retained that name under long-serving Queens.

The other county doesn't have the same rules; the matriarchal rules were a system specifically set up in the kingdom to control the nobility and the use of their military power (esp. the airships iirc).

Edit: Also, I think part of the point was that the whole society was designed to create the possibility of a reverse harem ending for a (bad) otome game, often without deeper thought put into it.

"basically enough lip service to make a reverse harem okay" is a pretty good summary. Also a poo poo enough game to make engineering a reverse harem the only viable path to victory, outside of, uh, making a meaningful player choice that gives you a sense of pride and accomplishment. :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

doomrider7 posted:

Read Knight's and Magic instead for more of that.

I tried but every time I see the title my brain seizes up and I start hallucinating all of my old English teachers screaming at me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

dipwood posted:

I usually end up using ctrl + scroll wheel to zoom out a couple of notches so I can actually see an entire panel on screen at a time.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

The junk collector posted:

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court or John Carter of Mars are really the proto-Isekai

the best part of this is that a Connecticut yankee in king arthur's court also has the most important element of any isekai: the author inserting their political beliefs into the mouth of the protagonist and then having them demonstrate their superiority to the beliefs of all the sad, backwards people around them

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The mom in Estate Developer is awesome. Every time she shows up for more than a single panel she does something neat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ungulateman posted:

the best part of this is that a Connecticut yankee in king arthur's court also has the most important element of any isekai: the author inserting their political beliefs into the mouth of the protagonist and then having them demonstrate their superiority to the beliefs of all the sad, backwards people around them

Twain at least was doing it as a joke about British colonialist rhetoric.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its still annoying but: page up/down.
Or use a mouse with a free scrolling wheel.
Or make your monitor vertical.

anything to avert RSI, because reading vertical comics on desktop sounds like a shortcut to carpal tunnel.
wat about spacebar

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

The mom in Estate Developer is awesome. Every time she shows up for more than a single panel she does something neat.

While I wish the story had more female characters in general, I greatly appreciate that most of the ones that do show up are capable and badass in their own right.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

Read Knights and Magic instead for more of that.

I recommend the manga of this one, the anime goes like 2000 km/hr. I'm pretty sure the first ep covers like 15 chapters, no exaggeration. Though I guess I should also warn that the manga is very slow outside of the robot punching parts and none of the characters are memorable.

...I know this sounds like a "why rec this then??" well see when this isekai has highs, they're real highs, but when it has lows it has lows.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I recommend the manga of this one, the anime goes like 2000 km/hr. I'm pretty sure the first ep covers like 15 chapters, no exaggeration. Though I guess I should also warn that the manga is very slow outside of the robot punching parts and none of the characters are memorable.

...I know this sounds like a "why rec this then??" well see when this isekai has highs, they're real highs, but when it has lows it has lows.

Having at least a chapter about how the main character's unprecedented new innovation in mecha musculature... sucks because it doesn't work well with the existing systems makes up for a lot of disappointments.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Having at least a chapter about how the main character's unprecedented new innovation in mecha musculature... sucks because it doesn't work well with the existing systems makes up for a lot of disappointments.

I do like how they showed how aggravating every single step of getting that thing to work was. They pull a heroic all-nighter to solve a key problem and then it immediately breaks on startup and welp back to the drawing board as everyone looks absolutely dead inside. Engineering.txt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Seraphic Neoman posted:

unfortunately, the manga ends shortly after the anime does while the ln's continue.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
eminence in shadow keeps threatening to be unironically good and then it drops "i am all-range atomic" on you to remind you that no, this show never wanted to be taken seriously and you're an idiot for even considering that it did

it's a show where i can see a fairly well-executed subtle bit of cinematography and go 'no that has to be a fake-out because this show isn't smart enough to use the kuleshov effect to communicate like that' and then it actually wasn't a fake-out

it's also like. extremely horny but kind of dogshit at actually doing fanservice? the fanservice scenes often end up doing more legwork as characterisation and worldbuilding (admittedly not great at that either) than they do at titillation. "yeah of course at least one of the girls would use the insanely op shapeshifting slime to semi-permanently transmodify her body. that's a really clever use of this power and good characterisation of this girl in particular. and now we can do a bizarre running gag where her boobs fall off!"

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 7, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah it's great

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also eminence in shadow IS unironically good

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

Also eminence in shadow IS unironically good

The manga is way better at presenting the plot and characters.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

it's the second show of the season where i think skipping the first episode straight up improves it, along with Reincarnated as a Sword (although the latter's first episode is merely not good rather than actively antithetical to the rest of the show)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paracelsus posted:

true

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You ever chuuni so hard you create an organization which controls major industries and possibly whole-rear end cities?

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Paracelsus posted:

The anime didn't have Alexia low key staring at Cid's junk the entire hot springs scene like the manga did, so that's minus 5 points

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Seraphic Neoman posted:

You ever chuuni so hard you create an organization which controls major industries and possibly whole-rear end cities?

You ever revolutionize the world by telling bed time stories to your subordinate? That's the kind of stuff I love about Eminence in Shadow.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The manga is correcting pacing/story problems in the LN/WN so I’m excited about it. Is the show decent? I haven’t gotten around to it yet

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think so. it spent like an episode and a half on torture scenes and rarely bothers with jokes.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Eminence In Shadow is supposed to be a Konosuba-esque riff on the genre but the anime seems to think those are low points.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fellis posted:

The manga is correcting pacing/story problems in the LN/WN so I’m excited about it. Is the show decent? I haven’t gotten around to it yet

It becomes good but it takes like 5-6 episodes to get there.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Okay I binged this and it's very good. Like Jin, it goes into the somewhat finer details of the specialization (construction), although not as deeply. I enjoy the isekais that are just basically an excuse for authors to splurge about their favorite technical topic. Although Jin is far, far more comprehensive in the subject matter. This is more surface level.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I really enjoyed Greatest Estate Developer as well. The person who said the author has some weird hangups about authority and violence is correct but it's easy enough to read that as in character bitterness derived from his lovely life on Earth, even if it does end up paying off for him.

It hits those city builder notes that I really love with him actually improving the lives of his people while also keeping enough comedy by making GBS threads on the main character who at least wears the aesthetic of a greedy thug well. I like it quite a lot and would recommend it.

E - The MC does debt trap a guy into slavery pretty early on which is real lovely and probably means it should go here but it happens pretty early on so I'd almost forgotten. Not great but well, this isn't a great genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He's not a slave he just has to give Lloyd most of anything he earns for the next 500 years.

Totally not slavery.

The one of the funniest bits in the series is when Lloyd finds the ghoul making spell and is so happy he rushes to the mine to let the guy know he will actually be able to work off the full 500 years instead of just being a joke in the contract.