Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m glad they managed to move most of their coffee. But assuming their story is accurate… they are real bad at business.

They signed contracts that left them with most of the risk. They didn’t clarify the unit of the order (wouldn’t this have been immediately apparent based on unit price?). They borrowed to ramp up when they realized it was 36k bags instead of 6k bags, rather than push back and underdeliver.

They were in over their heads every step of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vegetable posted:

I’m glad they managed to move most of their coffee. But assuming their story is accurate… they are real bad at business.

They signed contracts that left them with most of the risk. They didn’t clarify the unit of the order (wouldn’t this have been immediately apparent based on unit price?). They borrowed to ramp up when they realized it was 36k bags instead of 6k bags, rather than push back and underdeliver.

They were in over their heads every step of the way.

Oh definitely, I think folks just break disbelief over their knee when they feel like they're 'living the dream' lest they be owned by persons unknown/unseen for failing. Single player con game. Can't really fault em too hard because it's such a common and ad-driven thing.

My local roaster is selling bags of 10 day fermented gesha, that coffee money's already spoken for but thought I'd pass the sale along in case anyone needed (idk) a huge box of stuff that's probably fine for like an overnight cold brew.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Google Butt posted:

Kaffelogic shipping information received :heysexy:

I have mine now :D

Well really it was here a couple days ago but it shipped to a different address so I had to pick it up

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I have mine now :D

Well really it was here a couple days ago but it shipped to a different address so I had to pick it up

Grats! Please post a screenshot of your first roast and how you feel about it. Sadly mine got hung up in NZ for some reason so I'll be getting it next week at the earliest :(

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Not going to bother with a picture because pictures of roasts don't really show anything of value. First impressions using default profile set to roast level 2.5 (med-light), default level is 3 (med):
1. Not having to pick out chaff by hand rules. No beans entered the chaff collector and no free chaff was left with the beans.
2. Very even roast, though I believe this is typical of air roasting
3. Seems to handle its max listed capacity (120g) just fine. Total time was about 7-8minutes heating, 4 minutes cooling
4. Nice that I can actually reasonably do lighter roasts
5. It's really loud, which probably shouldn't be surprising.
6. Wish the cord was a bit longer. Like even a foot longer would make a big difference for being able to empty the thing easier without having to unplug it.

I haven't bothered with their software thing yet. My previous method was a stovetop popcorn popper which isn't the most precise of instruments.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

gwrtheyrn posted:

Not going to bother with a picture because pictures of roasts don't really show anything of value. First impressions using default profile set to roast level 2.5 (med-light), default level is 3 (med):
1. Not having to pick out chaff by hand rules. No beans entered the chaff collector and no free chaff was left with the beans.
2. Very even roast, though I believe this is typical of air roasting
3. Seems to handle its max listed capacity (120g) just fine. Total time was about 7-8minutes heating, 4 minutes cooling
4. Nice that I can actually reasonably do lighter roasts
5. It's really loud, which probably shouldn't be surprising.
6. Wish the cord was a bit longer. Like even a foot longer would make a big difference for being able to empty the thing easier without having to unplug it.

I haven't bothered with their software thing yet. My previous method was a stovetop popcorn popper which isn't the most precise of instruments.

That's awesome that it worked out of the box. I highly recommend joining the discord channel if you're not already in there. A lot of people seem to be liking this "adaptive" profile https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=307&start=70#p2574

In other news after about 8 wasted shots I finally got a good one out of my jx-pro and robot. Had to zero the JX-pro and tried various techniques with the Robot, ultimately decided to just go with the recommended "robot" shot as directed in the manual - gradually ramp up until first drops and then to 6 bar. Kinda crazy how every shot was insanely sour until I made small adjustments in grind (talking 1 click) and it wasn't sour at all, like night and day. We'll see if I just got lucky tomorrow!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

That's awesome that it worked out of the box. I highly recommend joining the discord channel if you're not already in there. A lot of people seem to be liking this "adaptive" profile https://kaffelogic.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=307&start=70#p2574

In other news after about 8 wasted shots I finally got a good one out of my jx-pro and robot. Had to zero the JX-pro and tried various techniques with the Robot, ultimately decided to just go with the recommended "robot" shot as directed in the manual - gradually ramp up until first drops and then to 6 bar. Kinda crazy how every shot was insanely sour until I made small adjustments in grind (talking 1 click) and it wasn't sour at all, like night and day. We'll see if I just got lucky tomorrow!

What kind of coffee are you using?

It will absolutely click with some more practice. You’ll get muscle memory with the amount of pressure you need.

One piece of advice is be consistent. You mentioned one click of the grinder made a difference, which is true-but that depends on the fact the following items were all the same:

-amount of water you put in the portafilter
-how hard you tamped
-how long you preinfuse and the pressure involved

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

nwin posted:

What kind of coffee are you using?

It will absolutely click with some more practice. You’ll get muscle memory with the amount of pressure you need.

One piece of advice is be consistent. You mentioned one click of the grinder made a difference, which is true-but that depends on the fact the following items were all the same:

-amount of water you put in the portafilter
-how hard you tamped
-how long you preinfuse and the pressure involved

I'm using some home roasted Colombian, on the lighter side but I'm stovetop roasting so obviously it's hard to say exactly what the level is. The kaffelogic will help keep that consistent at least. Fwiw I'm warming up the piston using that Thundies thing and preheating the basket on my kettle.

I feel like I've kept the water level (about a 1/4" from the top) and tamping roughly the same (tamping on a scale), but I did have some uneven tamps when starting out.

Inconsistent pressure is probably a big contributing factor. I found it difficult to maintain a consistent pressure when switching focus between the gauge and scale. The last shot I felt notably better about that, though. Kept a solid 6 bars throughout and pulled a little more volume than I was aiming for - 16g dose, 25s @ 40g out. I'm sure I'll get consistent results with some more practice and a darker roast.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 1, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah a lot of people say tamping with the robot doesn’t matter much, but the more water you pour in=less you have to tamp because the extra water adds to the pressure provided.

For my shots, with a niche zero and a medium-dark roast, I still notice a difference if I preheat, so you’ll earn dividends preheating a lighter roast.

I barely tamp and make sure the water level is fairly close to the top, within 5mm. I usually get good shots. I’m thinking of playing with lighter roasts, but I seldom do espresso shots now given my time constraints…lots of americanos or cappuccinos.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

When I'm very first learning some kit / a new bean, I like to pull into 4 vessels:

1. 5g less than I think
2. 5g
3. 5g
4. The rest (for Flair or Robot, which should purge at the end)

So I take a sip from cup 1, then add the 5 ml from cup 2 and taste, then cup 3. Helps me get a sense for, **all else equal**, what direction to take the ratio to avoid sour under-extraction or bitter over-extraction

Made the above method after learning about the Salami Shot, which is related and probably also helpful as a learning tool.

Completely unrelated, I did the "discard defects" part of this video today and it felt helpful. I'll try side by side tomorrow!

https://youtu.be/y8kb80dvxKs

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

When I'm very first learning some kit / a new bean, I like to pull into 4 vessels:

1. 5g less than I think
2. 5g
3. 5g
4. The rest (for Flair or Robot, which should purge at the end)

So I take a sip from cup 1, then add the 5 ml from cup 2 and taste, then cup 3. Helps me get a sense for, **all else equal**, what direction to take the ratio to avoid sour under-extraction or bitter over-extraction

Made the above method after learning about the Salami Shot, which is related and probably also helpful as a learning tool.

Completely unrelated, I did the "discard defects" part of this video today and it felt helpful. I'll try side by side tomorrow!

This is, hilariously, how lumbar punctures ('spinal taps') are taken. They test the samples and report on them as being from sample 1, 2, 3, 4 and it means something very specific when you see blood increasing from 1->4 for example vs it being constant across all samples.

e: you can see the four tubes in the bottom left:

Please nobody tell Hoffman about these kits it looks like something he'd take to 34 *cafes*

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

This is, hilariously, how lumbar punctures ('spinal taps') are taken. They test the samples and report on them as being from sample 1, 2, 3, 4 and it means something very specific when you see blood increasing from 1->4 for example vs it being constant across all samples.

e: you can see the four tubes in the bottom left:

Please nobody tell Hoffman about these kits it looks like something he'd take to 34 *cafes*

Neat! how does it taste?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tippecanoe posted:

Neat! how does it taste?

Notes of Cereal.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

I did the "discard defects" part of this video today and it felt helpful. I'll try side by side tomorrow!

Side by side: measured out two 15g doses. Found 3 defects in each, put all 6 into dose B and put 6 nice ones from B into A. So dose B had twice the normal level of defects and dose A was tidied up. Here are the 6 offenders:

I can definitely tell the difference. Similar to the difference between no WDT and with WDT, the defects show up as sour with bitter combined, like parts were over-extracted and some were under. Which makes sense, the one on the left was not developed and the other 5 were small and/or charred during the roast.

I'll repeat tomorrow to make sure it's a repeatable result for me! I think it'll only add 15 seconds to my routine if I decide to do this going forward.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Pulled another good shot with a different bean using the 6 bar pull, it was a little long/fast but still tasted great. I used it for my first at home milk drink (the first milk drink I've had in half a decade), a piccolo - tasted delicious and I could easily drink 12 of them.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 2, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Gaggia Classic and a Cuisinart burr grinder for $100, holy crap. Pulled the trigger and it's taken over the Mr. Coffee space.

I pulled my first shot and it came out pretty overextracted. Tried the Cuisinart and it spewed out the sides of the portafilter. Same when I went back to the Secura burr grinder that ground for the first shot.

Does the spewing indicate an insufficient seal on the portafilter? I do get some coffee poured through but then the spewing spray happens. Tried a few smaller doses and coarser grinds before giving up for the night and posting here.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Is is a new or used Gaggia? If new check to see if there’s something on the gasket preventing a seal. If it’s used the OE gaskets get hard and crack after a while, I have a silicone replacement in mine that has been good for a few years now.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
It's used, 2015 date stamp. Weird that it worked fine for the first one, but it definitely stands to reason that a gasket might need replacement. Is this the right gasket? https://www.gaggia-na.com/collections/parts/products/gaggia-classic-baby-evolution-group-gasket

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 2, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MJP posted:

It's used, 2015 date stamp. Weird that it worked fine for the first one, but it definitely stands to reason that a gasket might need replacement. Is this the right gasket? https://www.gaggia-na.com/collections/parts/products/gaggia-classic-baby-evolution-group-gasket

Could be the gasket was old and dried out and hadn’t be used, and first use tore it. Think like an old rubber band.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

MJP posted:

My Classic did the same thing one day but there was just schmutz on the gasket. I cleaned it off and it worked, but I also panic-ordered a fresh gasket from https://www.espressoparts.com which is cheap and has stuff listed pretty clearly.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

MJP posted:

Ya that’s the stock rubber one, I’m sure it will work for another several years but they do harden and crack, I replaced mine with one of these, cheap and should last longer.

They can be kind of a PITA to get out, hopefully you get lucky and it pops right out, if not I can go into what I had to do.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
Re-posting without hiding my question under a response to a different post:
I am seeking recommendations for a bottomless portafilter. It would be for my Lelit Mara X (uses a mostly-standard E61 grouphead).

Looking around, the bottomless portafilters I see mostly have a super-awkward looking handle attachment that looks like someone very lazy took a standard one and hacked off the bottom at an angle, and that really bothers me for some reason. Not too surprisingly, few of the pictures I can find online seem to show them directly side-on. I'd love to be able to tamp like with my spouted portafilter, which has the lovely angled handle that keeps it level when sitting on the counter. My counter's edge profile doesn't lend itself to those tamping mats that hang over, either. I *could* make a stand, but would really rather not if something exists that works on its own in the first place.

Lelit makes a few of their own bottomless models, which would definitely fit, but it sounds like the Mara X can take most E61 portafilters anyhow.
Any recommendations for quality bottomless portafilters that meet my finicky tastes?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wanderless posted:

Re-posting without hiding my question under a response to a different post:
I am seeking recommendations for a bottomless portafilter. It would be for my Lelit Mara X (uses a mostly-standard E61 grouphead).

Looking around, the bottomless portafilters I see mostly have a super-awkward looking handle attachment that looks like someone very lazy took a standard one and hacked off the bottom at an angle, and that really bothers me for some reason. Not too surprisingly, few of the pictures I can find online seem to show them directly side-on. I'd love to be able to tamp like with my spouted portafilter, which has the lovely angled handle that keeps it level when sitting on the counter. My counter's edge profile doesn't lend itself to those tamping mats that hang over, either. I *could* make a stand, but would really rather not if something exists that works on its own in the first place.

Lelit makes a few of their own bottomless models, which would definitely fit, but it sounds like the Mara X can take most E61 portafilters anyhow.
Any recommendations for quality bottomless portafilters that meet my finicky tastes?

Just get whatever you like the look of, it's not going to affect the shot. I got a 3rd party one with a walnut handle for my Gaggia and I like it quite a lot. I hold my portafilter onto a tamping mat when I tamp so I can't speak to the angle thing you're mentioning.

I just browsed online until I found one I liked the look of for what it's worth.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What's a ballpark setting on the gray dot JX-pro for cupping?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I use 20, with 0 as burr lock. Works great for me!

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
Looks like Fellow is coming out with a new grinder that does espresso called the Opus.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/a42409254/fellow-opus-grinder/

40 mm conical burrs, anti-static technology, $195.

I have the Ode 2 and really love the anti-static feature. Really nice that they are keeping that in the Opus. I didn't realize the Ode 2 had that until after I ordered mine and it is one of the things that really makes me pleased I waited for it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Any of you move from an E61 or something to a DE1 and not be sold on the thing right away? Second day with it and I am kind of considering just selling it off, it is a bit too ... science project-y / quirky in terms of workflow.

Behold my messy table.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 7, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Niyqor posted:

Looks like Fellow is coming out with a new grinder that does espresso called the Opus.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/a42409254/fellow-opus-grinder/

40 mm conical burrs, anti-static technology, $195.

I have the Ode 2 and really love the anti-static feature. Really nice that they are keeping that in the Opus. I didn't realize the Ode 2 had that until after I ordered mine and it is one of the things that really makes me pleased I waited for it.

if this ends up being good, that's a really nice price. like 20% less than a virtuoso+

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Helios Grime posted:

I previously posted how I wasn't happy with my Sette270 and looking for a replacement. I would now like to follow up that I am a friggin idiot and have been grinding on a machine with a hosed up gearbox. I chalked up the noise to it being a Baratza, "Everyone says it's noisy!", and the unevenness was it just being bad for filter sized grinds. Turns out you can further break the gearbox, where it then screams like a banshee and won't grind anything anymore. I brought it into a local coffee place that also fixes stuff, and they replaced it on the cheap, it would have cost me more to order the piece and do it myself, and it is now back to normal.
The difference is night and day, and I feel seriously stupid to not put 2 +2 together and just drinking lovely ground coffee for so long.

Don't feel bad. My wife made me coffee once forgetting that the kettle was full of cleaning vinegar from descaling. I made it through most of the cup wondering if I had covid or if maybe these beans were very, very acidic and poorly extracted. People are good at rationalizing.

(I had only a little uneasy tummy afterwards and no other I'll effects; so at least this taught me that cleaning vinegar isnt very dangerous to digest)

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

BlackMK4 posted:

Any of you move from an E61 or something to a DE1 and not be sold on the thing right away? Second day with it and I am kind of considering just selling it off, it is a bit too ... science project-y / quirky in terms of workflow.

I'm probably not the most sane person with regards to espresso workflow as I use a hand grinder, but I went from a Silvia to DE1 w/ an Acaia Lunar and it has been a huge upgrade for my workflow. Being able to auto-adjust steam time via DSX, stop-by-weight via bluetooth, and the one touch flush have helped my morning and post-work routine quite a bit.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Behold my messy table.

I went from a silvia to a lelit mara for literally a month to the decent. The decent doesn’t have to be so science-projecty once you get a reasonable workflow nailed down, though it never seems to become a completely tinkering-free experience. I recommend finding one type of profile that works for you and sticking with it; you can get real deep in the weeds matching profiles to coffees but I find i can get tasty results out of any coffee with a flow profile with basic preinfusion so that’s what i stick with, mostly only tweaking the input dose, grind setting, and output weight to dial in. I did switch to the cafe skin, which does a better job being one-touch for most things and hiding options I don’t need to touch most of the time, but that was once I had a stable workflow.

It’s definitely very much a hacker’s/hobbyist’s machine instead of an appliance, though. Now that LM has a machine in the same price range, I don’t know if i’d be willing to recommend the decent to someone who doesn’t really want to get stuck in at the deep end.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Buy an LM and then a cheap rear end gcp to covert to gaggiaduino for fun

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hypnophant posted:

I went from a silvia to a lelit mara for literally a month to the decent. The decent doesn’t have to be so science-projecty once you get a reasonable workflow nailed down, though it never seems to become a completely tinkering-free experience. I recommend finding one type of profile that works for you and sticking with it; you can get real deep in the weeds matching profiles to coffees but I find i can get tasty results out of any coffee with a flow profile with basic preinfusion so that’s what i stick with, mostly only tweaking the input dose, grind setting, and output weight to dial in. I did switch to the cafe skin, which does a better job being one-touch for most things and hiding options I don’t need to touch most of the time, but that was once I had a stable workflow.

It’s definitely very much a hacker’s/hobbyist’s machine instead of an appliance, though. Now that LM has a machine in the same price range, I don’t know if i’d be willing to recommend the decent to someone who doesn’t really want to get stuck in at the deep end.

By February I think I'll have finished the Gagguino mod which gives you the profiling etc stuff on the Gaggia Classic Pro (in addition to temp control and preinfusion and etc etc). Looking forward to the process of figuring out which profiles for which beans!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

By February I think I'll have finished the Gagguino mod which gives you the profiling etc stuff on the Gaggia Classic Pro (in addition to temp control and preinfusion and etc etc). Looking forward to the process of figuring out which profiles for which beans!

I'm actually planning on digging out my ancient early 2000s gc for the gagguino conversion. What are your thoughts on the project thus far? Did you order everything from AliExpress and are you also making the scale?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

I mean, if you’re into it, it’s super cool. At a certain point I just stopped wanting to “optimize” every new bag of beans, and just wanted my two shots of single origin every morning. The decent has a ton of great features for its (admittedly high) price point, and some features that I don’t think are available elsewhere at any price; but the learning curve is steep and there’s more janitoring than I think most people are willing to tolerate.

Automated flow control, combined with the level of feedback you get, is a really wild feature, and I think it could genuinely be a game changer for bringing home espresso to a wider audience. But it’s just always going to be a niche thing until john buckman, or someone else, figures out how to scale up

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

I'm actually planning on digging out my ancient early 2000s gc for the gagguino conversion. What are your thoughts on the project thus far? Did you order everything from AliExpress and are you also making the scale?

I've done some arduino projects in the past and I would say this is a fairly involved mod - but I'm also going right to the STM32 build and yes with scales. The documentation is written up very much with the idea that you build the whole thing with the arduino IDE and then there are instructions for converting to the STM32 microcontroller. There's full wiring diagrams and stuff available so if you have an electronics background it's not too bad (I don't). You'll have to solder a *lot* of things so be prepared to practice that skill if you haven't had a lot of that in your experience to this point. I've soldered a ton of wire-wire joints but very few wire-PCB joints.

The bill of materials is extremely good - and actually to that point I bought double of pretty much everything from aliexpress because I was going to do my brother's machine too - however he has some ancient one from the 80s I think and it's quite different inside - I don't think he's up for it. So I actually have a lot of the components and if you're interested I'm happy to sell them off to you for cheaper than you're pay in the shipping from China (I'm in Canada). The load cells for the scales are also in that bill of materials. I had a goon friend 3d print me the parts I needed, like the enclosure that will contain all the bits and sit behind the water funnel.

The discord for the project is worth joining so you can search for other people who had similar questions to you - there's a huge archive of people's builds and questions. I will say the guy (zero-bit) who is behind the project is seemingly in every channel in his server at every hour of the day and seems to get off on antagonizing anyone who asks for help without providing any actual help. I haven't had this experience personally but you can't open the server without it being the first thing you see in any channel.

I will say that the process of getting the code onto the STM32 Blackpill microcontroller absolutely took me hours and was completely unintuitive despite having used github before.

Only other thing that comes to mind right now is that I picked up a bunch of Wago connectors so I could test things easily and take them apart again (might actually just use wagos for 5v/GND in the end) and also picked up this heat resistant 18awg wiring. I feel like the smaller wiring that is on that bill of materials is spec'd too small for the job.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The biggest thing I did to my DE to make better shots with my niche was to use the Extractamundo Dos preset off of the Diaspora.

All of the shots included on the machine by default didn’t work for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Forgot to mention, I started using a puck screen (normcore 1.7mm) and I'm surprised at how much of a difference I'm seeing in the shot. It tastes cleaner and smoother, and the fact that I don't have any grounds on my shower screen is a huge bonus too. After backflushing before I'd always have some grounds (not many) in the blind basket, now there's zero. I'll take it!

sellouts posted:

The biggest thing I did to my DE to make better shots with my niche was to use the Extractamundo Dos preset off of the Diaspora.

All of the shots included on the machine by default didn’t work for me.

I figure at the very least I could start with what is already the pressure profile I'm using with my 9bar OPV GCP... it's just no pre infusion and 9bar for 26s for 40g out. From there I could introduce a preinfusion and start figuring out the tapering of the pressure. We'll see, I'm sure I'll waste a ton of beans like I did when I first got into this hobby.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I've done some arduino projects in the past and I would say this is a fairly involved mod - but I'm also going right to the STM32 build and yes with scales. The documentation is written up very much with the idea that you build the whole thing with the arduino IDE and then there are instructions for converting to the STM32 microcontroller. There's full wiring diagrams and stuff available so if you have an electronics background it's not too bad (I don't). You'll have to solder a *lot* of things so be prepared to practice that skill if you haven't had a lot of that in your experience to this point. I've soldered a ton of wire-wire joints but very few wire-PCB joints.

The bill of materials is extremely good - and actually to that point I bought double of pretty much everything from aliexpress because I was going to do my brother's machine too - however he has some ancient one from the 80s I think and it's quite different inside - I don't think he's up for it. So I actually have a lot of the components and if you're interested I'm happy to sell them off to you for cheaper than you're pay in the shipping from China (I'm in Canada). The load cells for the scales are also in that bill of materials. I had a goon friend 3d print me the parts I needed, like the enclosure that will contain all the bits and sit behind the water funnel.

The discord for the project is worth joining so you can search for other people who had similar questions to you - there's a huge archive of people's builds and questions. I will say the guy (zero-bit) who is behind the project is seemingly in every channel in his server at every hour of the day and seems to get off on antagonizing anyone who asks for help without providing any actual help. I haven't had this experience personally but you can't open the server without it being the first thing you see in any channel.

I will say that the process of getting the code onto the STM32 Blackpill microcontroller absolutely took me hours and was completely unintuitive despite having used github before.

Only other thing that comes to mind right now is that I picked up a bunch of Wago connectors so I could test things easily and take them apart again (might actually just use wagos for 5v/GND in the end) and also picked up this heat resistant 18awg wiring. I feel like the smaller wiring that is on that bill of materials is spec'd too small for the job.

Thanks for all the info! I'm very experienced with soldering and small diy electronics projects, so I'm pretty confident I can make it happen.

I'm extremely interested in picking up your duplicate parts, but I'm not sure if I have a GC/GCP or what year it is yet. Are those parts model specific?

Also, did you refresh any of the other parts? I figure the boiler and lines in mine are nasty from sitting for literally 8 years in the attic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Thanks for all the info! I'm very experienced with soldering and small diy electronics projects, so I'm pretty confident I can make it happen.

I'm extremely interested in picking up your duplicate parts, but I'm not sure if I have a GC/GCP or what year it is yet. Are those parts model specific?

Also, did you refresh any of the other parts? I figure the boiler and lines in mine are nasty from sitting for literally 8 years in the attic.

So my machine is brand new this year and I live in Vancouver BC which has extremely soft water - I have a glass kettle that has no scale after being used here for 4-5 years with exclusively tap water.

Most of the parts are shared between the GCP and GC but there are actually separate lists on the Gagguino page (it's the first result with google), you can see where it's broken down into both:

We could sit on discord and figure out what I actually have and what you need etc at some point. Some things like the load cells I only bought 1 extra of just in case one came broken but I feel like I absolutely have doubles of nearly everything else, maybe not the touchscreen.

Pumps for the Gaggias are famously about $25, if I was in your position I'd probably replace the boiler and pump and all the hoses (since you'll be buying a meter of hose anyways to tee in the pressure transducer).