Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

But they have to vote for the rule threshold for that.

Kevin promises it will be a one vote threshold, but the rule doesn't currently exist, does it? So how can a motion to vacate work?

Or does the previous 'half the caucus' threshold still in force?

A prior congress can not bind a future congress with rules, so right now by default a majority can vote for a new speaker. They would need a majority to vote for new rules which would include whatever they agreed to. If Kevin reneged (and a majority cared enough about it to start over) it would be obvious immediately with the new proposed rules saying only party leaders can call for the vote or whatever, so they'd vote that down and we'd be back to voting for a new speaker again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Uglycat posted:

At what point does reality necessarily imply that there is no unified "Republican Party", and therefore such a party does not have a majority of seats in congress?

That's exactly what this is. If a party thinks they have a majority they need to pass a symbolic motion to prove that they do in fact have a majority.
If they can't then they aren't, and floor's open for anyone else who thinks they can scrape a majority together to have a go at it. This is how you get coalitions and minority governments.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rigel posted:

A prior congress can not bind a future congress with rules, so right now by default a majority can vote for a new speaker. They would need a majority to vote for new rules which would include whatever they agreed to. If Kevin reneged (and a majority cared enough about it to start over) it would be obvious immediately with the new proposed rules saying only party leaders can call for the vote or whatever, so they'd vote that down and we'd be back to voting for a new speaker again.

But his two hundred diehards don't want it to be one vote threshold or even five, so what's to stop Kevin from immediately stabbing the HFC in the back in the unlikely event he gets elected Speaker? Nothing. His 200 won't want to start over and the HFC won't go crawling to the Dems for votes even if they were open to giving it just to shank McCarthy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Sooo.... what do you do?

Eventually someone will get sick of this and give in. The divides here aren't actually that deep, it's just a pissing contest to determine the factional balance of power.

Because the US system heavily encourages a two-party system, situations like this are exceedingly rare. This is the first time in literally 100 years that a Speaker wasn't elected on the first ballot.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

But his two hundred diehards don't want it to be one vote threshold or even five, so what's to stop Kevin from immediately stabbing the HFC in the back in the unlikely event he gets elected Speaker? Nothing. His 200 won't want to start over and the HFC won't go crawling to the Dems for votes even if they were open to giving it just to shank McCarthy.

A majority has to vote in favor of the "1 random guy can't call for a vote to vacate the chair" rule. If the rules package contains an immediate betrayal, the HFC votes no.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If it actually mirrored this the President would appoint the government from members of the House (and the Senate), who would remain with their parliamentary duties, and the President would also be able to disband Parliament and call for an election.

And from the Founders' perspective, allowing the executive to unilaterally disband the legislature had been a major cause of the English Civil War only a little over a century prior — in this regard, they likely believed they were correcting a flaw in the extant English system.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
From a certain perspective, Jeffries calling Trump's 2016 win "illegitimate" and then voting to certify the election, is the same as Trump claiming the election was stolen, waging countless losing lawsuits, and encouraging people to stop the certification by storming the capital.

I feel very clever drawing this equivalency.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

George Santos just needs to convince a small number of far right Republicans that his name is Kevin McCarthy

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Are we? Who is this mystery candidate?
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1611168127106031619

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Barrel Cactaur posted:

we cut out about the monstrous tumor of slavery but kept in basically all the stupid.

The system literally cant handle not having a majority. Its paralyzed until someone blinks or 2 years when they all loose. Imagine what a genuine 3rd party would do to this monster if you had more regional factionalism (like east coast, west coast and midlands) or some other three way split. a binary of national level coalitions is the only stable pattern.
While you are right the system has tons of problems, I don't think it ultimately is the important factor (beyond the workings of elections). Just about every system is workable if people at least somewhat act in good faith, and it's also very hard for any democratic system to do anything useful if the voters select a majority of the chamber that's uninterested in anything resembling constructive governing. (Though admittedly the split government does mean that the GOP would be limited to negotiations on budget priorities and investigations of Hunter Biden's penis, which limits the scope of engagement; of course it also reduces the chance of them Liz Trussing the country).

For the House in particular, nothing legal is preventing a set of rules compatible with a coalition, perhaps with the speaker being largely unimportant.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Gyges posted:

I'm surprised none of the Freshmen Democrats have tried approaching McCarthy to see if he'll think they're new Republicans and toss them some concessions while he's on his abject debasement kick.

I'm not a McCarthy expert here but others have said that no one trusts him to actually hold up to any of his promises and any means to punish him for breaking those promises are limited at best since D's are a minority in the HoR. R's would happily sit back and watch the D's get hosed no matter what on broken promises and not call McCarthy out or help to vote to punish him in some fashion.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wow, the last time the red state congressional elects couldn't agree on a speaker was in the 1850s, you say?

It's good that all of that infighting stopped abruptly in the early 1860s, for no specific reason.

America is gonna be just fine I think!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also the entire Republican thing for the last 25-30 years has been "The Democrats are going to destroy our country because they are crazy leftists!" If you make a deal it exposes the far right's rhetoric for the lunacy it is. The Republican party WILL fracture if that happens.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I love seeing MTG flounder like this. Come onnnn guys play with meeeee play with meeeeeee

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Depends on how you want to define plotting. The Democrats are open to some sort of deal, but their concessions are draconian nonsense like promise to not run things like a 5 year old with poo poo covered hands.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

smoobles posted:

Wow, the last time the red state congressional elects couldn't agree on a speaker was in the 1850s, you say?

It's good that all of that infighting stopped abruptly in the early 1860s, for no specific reason.

America is gonna be just fine I think!

It stopped in the late 1860s.

quote:

When the 39th Congress finally opened on December 4, 1865, the large Republican majority in the House immediately counteracted the President. Edward McPherson — Clerk of the House and longtime ally of Thaddeus Stevens — simply refused to read the names of Members-elect from former Confederate states during the opening roll call. None were sworn in.

The Republican-controlled Congress went on to push for a radical Reconstruction, with successes including a sweeping civil rights bill and the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution that redefined citizenship to include the millions of formerly enslaved men and women in the South.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think at this point it is pretty obvious that McCarthy isn’t going to become speaker. The problem is that no one in the GOP House has a plan on what to do now. Their leadership all basically are McCarthy cronies and there isn’t much outside of that. Frankly giving their terrorist wing everything they can think of is an incredibly dangerous game even if they do somehow get them to vote McCarthy in.

Really the best option would be making a deal with the Democrats, get some sort of power sharing agreement and try to salvage what you got left. They barely have a majority in the first place. Their grandiose plans were never going to happen in the first place.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'm not a McCarthy expert here but others have said that no one trusts him to actually hold up to any of his promises and any means to punish him for breaking those promises are limited at best since D's are a minority in the HoR. R's would happily sit back and watch the D's get hosed no matter what on broken promises and not call McCarthy out or help to vote to punish him in some fashion.

Dude's promised so many things to do many people, if you can get one there's a good chance he can't even remember who he owes it to. So as long as you aren't asking him Insanity Caucus exclusive items, you just might get a Congressional trip to study Hawaiian beaches thrown on the docket.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m so confused about all the promises. What’s the point? At this point a group of R’s would be better off just defecting and selecting someone with the Dems so they don’t have to go through with this embarrassing poo poo and damage their brand further

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

i am a moron posted:

I’m so confused about all the promises. What’s the point? At this point a group of R’s would be better off just defecting and selecting someone with the Dems so they don’t have to go through with this embarrassing poo poo and damage their brand further

For 80% of the representatives that do this, it will never be their brand ever again.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
MY BRAND!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hesitate to say "McCarthy will never be Speaker" because I don't know who the other guy is. That they're going through this madness without anyone saying "ok, gently caress off and step aside and lets see if a new name can fix this" seems to suggest no one else wants the job. They basically had to beg Paul Ryan to do it the last time this happened. So in paper I still think McCarthy is the most likely guy based on how many people own him, how desperately he wants it, and how little anyone else seems to want the poo poo job especially after this week.

The hurdle seems like its whether or not the "Never Kevin" people can make peace with that enough to secure the votes. Its entirely possible that that at this stage they see stopping McCarthy as the biggest rhetorical victory. So in that case maybe it will take talking a Steve Scalise or whoever into becoming the save "compromise" so they can still boast that they drained the swamp or whatever.

So basically I think the realistic scenarios are:

1) McCarthy gives up the world to become Speaker in name only.
2) This strings out long enough for "compromise with the Democrats" or "too many absent votes" to become a plausible scenario in which case the HFC rather they have the stuff that was promised them but demand McCarthy get tossed under the boss.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Are you trying to persuade them to do it?

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1611205867449319424

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't a nonfunctioning House way more strategically valuable to the dems than any level of 'moderation' in the choice of speaker?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't a nonfunctioning House way more strategically valuable to the dems than any level of 'moderation' in the choice of speaker?

It’s strategically valuable to republicans because they want people to think that government is silly and incapable of making their lives better.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

No, since the Democrats want a budget to be passed every year.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Upton's turned it down while Amash is wandering around congress lobbying for it with nobody being interested. Not a lot of moderate Western Michigan republicans left unless we can figure out how to resurrect Ford.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The complete absence of Steve Scalise in all this has been an enduring mystery to me since this started. The fact that he has not emerged by now as the heir apparent to get McCarthy to sit down means that he probably doesn't want to be Speaker under any circumstances, so that's why the rest of the caucus is flailing about nominating clown show candidates because no one actually seriously wants the gig besides McCarthy. The #2 option for them at this point besides McCarthy is literally nobody. Because if it was Scalise, we'd know by now because Steve Scalise, the physically dickless wonder that he is, is more than ready, willing, and able to just walk in and poo poo down McCarthy's neck like a honking giga chad if he wants something, and he hasn't which means he doesn't.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think more bad things happen by a non functioning government not doing what it needs to do than by a bad party control of one house of Congress you can at least push back against or have checks on. And like the entire point of a lot of these people is to make the government an incompetent mess so it can't do anything and they can then complain about it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OddObserver posted:

No, since the Democrats want a budget to be passed every year.

And raise the debt ceiling.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Democrats are always kind of bound by their belief in such things as "having a functional government." At some point they will cave to something if its necessary to prevent the complete collapse of the US.

Republicans have found great value in rhetorically arguing that we don't need no government. Then they get surprised every once in a while to find out that some of their nuttier members actually believe that bullshit.

So to answer the question, this poo poo show benefits the Democrats only as long as there isn't actually any work to do.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The complete absence of Steve Scalise in all this has been an enduring mystery to me since this started. The fact that he has not emerged by now as the heir apparent to get McCarthy to sit down means that he probably doesn't want to be Speaker under any circumstances, so that's why the rest of the caucus is flailing about nominating clown show candidates because no one actually seriously wants the gig besides McCarthy. The #2 option for them at this point besides McCarthy is literally nobody. Because if it was Scalise, we'd know by now because Steve Scalise, the physically dickless wonder that he is, is more than ready, willing, and able to just walk in and poo poo down McCarthy's neck like a honking giga chad if he wants something, and he hasn't which means he doesn't.

Maybe he thinks the crazies won't vote for him either and he isn't willing to be humiliated like McCarthy.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

The Lone Badger posted:

If Republicans were desperate enough to make a deal Democrats could probably get a lot out of it. I think it would be worth voting for a Republican speaker if they guaranteed a vote on anything that passes the senate with a filibuster proof majority, gave Democrats equal strength on committees, and raised the debt ceiling.

There's no pressure to make a deal until July, Republicans are the ones having a shitshow.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Oh no. Not a moderate. :geno:

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

i am a moron posted:

If a small group of Republicans break to help a moderate get elected they risk the party turning against them and getting primaried hard.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

The House does need to function occasionally, so they can't just leave it like this for two whole years. That said, it's still a few months before any House action is urgently needed, so the Dems don't need to be in any hurry to put an end to this.

Thing is, the House will still be barely functional even if they pick a speaker. Even if the Freedom Caucus loses and McCarthy gets the speakership, the Freedom Caucus could refuse to vote for bills he wants. This is just the beginning - they could potentially pull this poo poo on any proposed bill that's brought to the floor. McCarthy would be almost totally unable to govern without throwing concessions to Dems.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think more bad things happen by a non functioning government not doing what it needs to do than by a bad party control of one house of Congress you can at least push back against or have checks on. And like the entire point of a lot of these people is to make the government an incompetent mess so it can't do anything and they can then complain about it.

It's somewhat time-dependent. The value of a Republican controlled house (as opposed to a completely non-functional house) in the next month is significantly negative to the Democrats, because not having that delays the Republicans using it to make house committees to investigate if Biden's dog once went to the bathroom on an American flag or whatever. But the value of a Republican controlled house in the next year is positive for Democrats, because they don't want the country to burn down and the US can't operate with a paralyzed government forever.

So for now, yes, they're going to laugh and eat popcorn. If it goes on long enough, the Democrats will go ahead and vote for a Republican, hopefully getting something in return.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

If a small group of Republicans break to help a moderate get elected they risk the party turning against them and getting primaried hard.

Is there a point where the need is dire enough that the people who selected those candidates are fine with a compromise so literally anything can get done?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Simplex posted:

The Democrats are always kind of bound by their belief in such things as "having a functional government." At some point they will cave to something if its necessary to prevent the complete collapse of the US.

Republicans have found great value in rhetorically arguing that we don't need no government. Then they get surprised every once in a while to find out that some of their nuttier members actually believe that bullshit.

So to answer the question, this poo poo show benefits the Democrats only as long as there isn't actually any work to do.

budget has already been dealt with for what 10 months and dems certainly appear entirely willing to let republicans twist in the breeze for as long as they feel like loving around. dem pov is that every day that this goes on for is a win and I don't think that they're wrong about that?

Worth noting, too, that republicans are 1000% eating the full blame for any disruption caused by this.

nine-gear crow posted:

he's still considered the de facto second choice, but yeah he has been very conspicuously silent and it's entirely possible that everything about this has made him want no part of the job at all. Or he's just shutting up because he's agreed to let McCarthy do his thing for as long as it takes.

idk there's a lot of weird noises (and even weirder silences) coming out of the republican house right now. Feels like this got away from both the moderates and the wingnuts and we're fully off script while they both scramble.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Herstory Begins Now posted:

budget has already been dealt with for what 10 months and dems certainly appear entirely willing to let republicans twist in the breeze for as long as they feel like loving around. dem pov is that every day that this goes on for is a win and I don't think that they're wrong about that?

Worth noting, too, that republicans are 1000% eating the full blame for any disruption caused by this.

I think we hit the debt ceiling around July? And that assumes no major disasters or incidents come up that actually require the government to do something.

But yeah, it isn't urgent for the Dems right now, so they're happy to watch the clown show.