Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nature is healing :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like The Smugglers and The Underwater Menace are getting animated reconstructions this year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh nice, that report that they were done with animated releases for at least the forseeable future was a concern, but two new stories coming :woop:

I've only watched a reconstruction of The Smugglers once so it'll be good to see it "again" in a more easily digestible form.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Do we really need to Ted Turner Hartnells and Troughtons, though?

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I have it on good authority that nothing in ze vorld can school then now

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Do we really need to Ted Turner Hartnells and Troughtons, though?

Kind of?

This isn't a "taking the old boring junk and jazzing it up for the young hip crowd!" situation. Just listening to audio tracks and watch reconstructions is just as derivative from the original as making animation out of it. We're never getting the rest of the missing episodes back, so something should be done to try to bring what little material we have back to the original presentation.

Now the quality of the animation being low end Newgrounds stuff with no personality is it's own problem, but it's good to do something.

I'm tempting fate by saying that we'll never get the episodes. Now to sit back and see what Troughton episode they uncover and announce tomorrow in order to prove me wrong.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
By “Ted Turner” I was referring to Turner’s proclivity in the 1980s for colorizing black & white movies, which the article mentions.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Do The Dalek’s Master Plan you cowards.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Do The Dalek’s Master Plan you cowards.

They should just do what they did for Mission to the Unknown and give a college theatre crew a thousand pounds to recreate an episode. Anything you do to these episodes changes how they were originally conceived, let's take that to its logical extreme.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Rochallor posted:

They should just do what they did for Mission to the Unknown and give a college theatre crew a thousand pounds to recreate an episode. Anything you do to these episodes changes how they were originally conceived, let's take that to its logical extreme.

Unfortunately that would deprive us of Kevin Stoney's performance as Magic Mavic Chen, which would take out half the fun of watching the story.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The main problem is that neither of these stories are any good

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Disney has creative input into the new season.

quote:

RTD states budget reports have been exaggerated by tabloids.

MAGIC NUMBERS

There’s been a lot of press speculation about how the Disney deal will boost the show’s resources. Will Doctor Who be getting a bigger budget?

Russell: Yes. But it’s not the reported budget. Is this worth saying?

Jane: I think it’s really, really worth saying. I’d like us to say this.

There have been reports in the press saying £10 million per episode. So that’s not true?

Russell: That has been exaggerated. If that was the budget, I’d be speaking to you from my base on the Moon. That is not the budget, and I worry that misinformation like that creates false expectation. Nonetheless, we have a lovely, handsome budget, and we’re very happy with how we’re proceeding with it.

Jane: It’s a really good budget for us. But we are not Game of Thrones. Or The Rings of Power.

Phil: I still spend 75 per cent of my day in meetings, trying to work out how many monsters we can afford and how we can make it look like we’ve got twice as many, how we can revamp that set and re-use it, how do we take these massive, ambitious, brilliant, gorgeous scripts and make them absolutely the best we possibly can for the money we’ve got. Which is what Verity Lambert [Doctor Who’s original producer] was doing in 1963. It’s always been a show that reaches beyond its means and pushes every creative person.

Russell: And that’s a good example of Disney notes. They sent us a note on episode one [of Ncuti’s first series] that said, “That opening isn’t as much fun as the other episodes.” It was a great note. So I’ve written a new opening –

Phil: An expensive new opening.

Russell: – and it’s broken everyone’s backs. But it’s absolutely worth doing.

Phil: It’s brilliant. Readers, just you wait.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

Think the chances of getting an episode like midnight, turn left or Waters of Mars Heaven sent anytime soon just got a little bit lower. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Time to make a drinking game of "how many "funny" quips does everyone make that doesn't actually contribute to the story or characters in any way, shape, or form"

See y'all in Alcoholics Anonymous

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

It's not too surprising they're providing notes, but the great thing about "network" notes when you're a Welsh giant highly respected tv producer is you can read them and say thanks but no thanks.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vinylshadow posted:

Time to make a drinking game of "how many "funny" quips does everyone make that doesn't actually contribute to the story or characters in any way, shape, or form"

See y'all in Alcoholics Anonymous

I mean.....you could have played that game in some other seasons and still killed yourself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Rusty just needs to stand up straight and all the execs can do is wave their notes wildly in the air, craning their heads up and vainly hoping to see past the clouds in hopes of their plaintive cries reaching his mighty ears.

That's EXACTLY how Big Finish managed to keep running when the TV show came back :hmmyes:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

howe_sam posted:

It's not too surprising they're providing notes, but the great thing about "network" notes when you're a Welsh giant highly respected tv producer is you can read them and say thanks but no thanks.

You mean like in the example RTD cited, where he changed the opening after they told him they didn't like it?

E: My 2 cents worth: RTD ain't rocking the boat when it comes to handling input from Disney. He's clearly stated he wants DW to be a franchise on the level of Marvel or Star Wars, and he's obviously perfectly willing to accept money and input from Disney to achieve that goal. I'm pretty sure he'd only object if Disney asked him to remove something because "it's too gay/ethnic/likely to offend our partners in China" (obviously not in such explicit terms, of course). But I don't see him doing anything to piss off the House of Mouse otherwise.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 6, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sometimes, and this might be a reach but bear with me, the person making the creative suggestion might have a point, and RTD might agree with it. I'm willing to take him at his word that the first episode opening wasn't as fun as the others, and that wasn't intentional, and when he had that pointed out to him he enthusiastically made it more fun.

We'll see how this turns out when we get it, I guess.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dabir posted:

Sometimes, and this might be a reach but bear with me, the person making the creative suggestion might have a point, and RTD might agree with it. I'm willing to take him at his word that the first episode opening wasn't as fun as the others, and that wasn't intentional, and when he had that pointed out to him he enthusiastically made it more fun.

We'll see how this turns out when we get it, I guess.

It's entirely possible, to be sure, but I would point out that Disney is not exactly known for embracing the "auteur" theory and letting the creative types have the final say in whatever projects Disney is funding. If Disney is providing money (and an international streaming platform outside of the UK) for the show, then they're going to have some say in what goes into the show. Depending on what things Disney requests them to do, it's then up to RTD and co. to decide if going against whatever changes Disney asks them to make is a hill worth dying on for them or not. My guess is that by and large, they'll go with the flow. As you say, though, we'll just have to wait and see for now.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's entirely possible, to be sure, but I would point out that Disney is not exactly known for embracing the "auteur" theory and letting the creative types have the final say in whatever projects Disney is funding. If Disney is providing money (and an international streaming platform outside of the UK) for the show, then they're going to have some say in what goes into the show. Depending on what things Disney requests them to do, it's then up to RTD and co. to decide if going against whatever changes Disney asks them to make is a hill worth dying on for them or not. My guess is that by and large, they'll go with the flow. As you say, though, we'll just have to wait and see for now.

From the interview: “ Russell: And that’s a good example of Disney notes. They sent us a note on episode one [of Ncuti’s first series] that said, “That opening isn’t as much fun as the other episodes.” It was a great note. So I’ve written a new opening –”

He said the note was “great,” and he said they changed the opening because it was a great note.

I’d say I don’t know how anyone goes from RTD telling a story about how Disney has been improving things on the series with their notes and concludes that Disney has taken the show hostage and RTD is sweating bullets over it, but I’ve spent enough time here to know precisely how that happens.

The BBC has always been in a position to ruin the show without any help from Disney, anyway. Nor does Disney own the show, unlike all those other properties it bought up. I’ll point out that Disney seems perfectly happy to let Feige run the MCU and their purchase actually cleared away some of the interference he was getting from Marvel. Given that it isn’t just RTD but that he has Julie Gardner to run interference with Disney and the BBC as needed, I’m reasonably confident Bad Wolf Productions can fend off any interference. It worked in 2005, 18 years ago…

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would very much like to watch a new episode of Doctor Who please and thank you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

From the interview: “ Russell: And that’s a good example of Disney notes. They sent us a note on episode one [of Ncuti’s first series] that said, “That opening isn’t as much fun as the other episodes.” It was a great note. So I’ve written a new opening –”

He said the note was “great,” and he said they changed the opening because it was a great note.

I’d say I don’t know how anyone goes from RTD telling a story about how Disney has been improving things on the series with their notes and concludes that Disney has taken the show hostage and RTD is sweating bullets over it, but I’ve spent enough time here to know precisely how that happens.

The BBC has always been in a position to ruin the show without any help from Disney, anyway. Nor does Disney own the show, unlike all those other properties it bought up. I’ll point out that Disney seems perfectly happy to let Feige run the MCU and their purchase actually cleared away some of the interference he was getting from Marvel. Given that it isn’t just RTD but that he has Julie Gardner to run interference with Disney and the BBC as needed, I’m reasonably confident Bad Wolf Productions can fend off any interference. It worked in 2005, 18 years ago…

Disney doesn't just let Feige do what he wants with Marvel, they have specific things they do and don't want to have in their movies and they want their Marvel movies to be done a certain type of way. Which is why Edgar Wright ended up leaving the first Ant-Man movie, to name but one example. It's the same with Star Wars when they kicked Lord & Miller off of Solo (ironically, for trying to be too funny with it).

Disney does not own the IP for Doctor Who, you're correct in that. They're just providing a portion of the show's budget as well as its only available distribution outside of the UK (maybe Europe as well? Not 100% sure if the BBC broadcasts terrestrially there or not). If you don't think that arrangement gives Disney a certain amount of power, or that RTD will happily say "the changes they suggested were absolutely brilliant" in an interview in order to keep that business relationship sweet, well then I guess we'll just have to agree that we see things differently and let it go at that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Usually you don't have to dread Disney until they actually somehow come to own something they have no business owning but given the time travel nature of DW it seems we can now experience that dread in an exciting new order.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Or we could wait until the actual episodes are out to judge them instead of microanalyzing a single interview and immediately doomsaying an entire era of the show

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I move that, now that we have confirmation Disney are making notes, we blame them for every single problem with the show from here on out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The real problem will occur after Russell leaves. Unless his retirement plan is to be the Feige or Kennedy of the "Doctor Who Universe" for the next 30 years, someone will take over and they may not have the juice to say no to studio notes.

I never got the impression he was doing anything more than coming in for a couple of years to steady the ship. He seems like as much as he loves DW, he's someone with too many other creative ideas to sit in one place long.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I blame them for the old problems too

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Khanstant posted:

I blame them for the old problems too

Blowjob Brick is now a Disney princess.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Creature posted:

Blowjob Brick is now a Disney princess.

oh good lord

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Disney doesn't just let Feige do what he wants with Marvel, they have specific things they do and don't want to have in their movies and they want their Marvel movies to be done a certain type of way. Which is why Edgar Wright ended up leaving the first Ant-Man movie, to name but one example. It's the same with Star Wars when they kicked Lord & Miller off of Solo (ironically, for trying to be too funny with it).

Edgar Wright left Ant-Man because K.E.V.I.N. wanted the film to have more connections to the MCU (also, Ant-Man was a better movie because Wright left, fight me), and Lord & Miller were fired because baby Kasdan didn't like that they weren't taking his Star War seriously enough so he pitched a fit to Kathy Kennedy. Actual examples of Disney loving things up would be firing James Gunn from GotG 3, or setting out an overly ambitious amount of TV and movie projects for Marvel to make following phase 3.

quote:

Disney does not own the IP for Doctor Who, you're correct in that. They're just providing a portion of the show's budget as well as its only available distribution outside of the UK (maybe Europe as well? Not 100% sure if the BBC broadcasts terrestrially there or not). If you don't think that arrangement gives Disney a certain amount of power, or that RTD will happily say "the changes they suggested were absolutely brilliant" in an interview in order to keep that business relationship sweet, well then I guess we'll just have to agree that we see things differently and let it go at that.

I mean, yeah? This is how the sausage is made, the "network" always has notes, and why shouldn't they? They're the ones "airing" the drat thing. They should have some say. If RTD has a script with everyone running around with their ducks out do you really think Disney would just throw that up on D+ with no comment? The thing is it's a give and take process that we'll never have perfect knowledge of so it's not worth doomsaying about. RTD is a veteran producer, he knows how to deal with network notes. It's really not a thing.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I know it was just a typo in the above post, but the image really brightened my day.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narsham posted:

The BBC has always been in a position to ruin the show without any help from Disney, anyway.

Name one time when BBC interference ruined Doctor Who.

Okay, but name another time that they did that.

Alright, another another time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm just chuckling at how, in the last thread when it was reported Disney had actual financial input into the show, I got told that was fear-mongering nonsense and clearly untrue, Disney only had the rights to stream the episodes outside of the UK. And then it turned out that whoops, yes, Disney is actually contributing to the budget of the show. And now that it's being reported that Disney requested changes that RTD was perfectly happy to comply with--and not changes due to violent or adult tone or content, but because something wasn't "fun" enough in Disney's view, whatever that means--people are falling over themselves to justify how that's fine too. :rolleyes:

I hope the series and whatever spinoffs RTD comes up with justify y'all's faith in him, and that the show gets a chance to be good once again; lord knows you guys deserve it after Chibnall's run. That said, you'll forgive me if I'm just the tiniest bit cynical about the whole thing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The fun thing is if you don't like the new show, there's absolutely no way of knowing if it's corporate meddling or RTD losing his fastball. I think some people are resigned to the idea that anything bad is because of Disney, which I guess they make a good scapegoat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I already want their company to be broken up and their IP forcibly added to the public domain. what's the problem with adding some more ire to the pile. Not like it's important who we blame here if we don't like the new episodes. there's no bonus to most-accurate-blaming-during-mudslinging

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm just chuckling at how, in the last thread when it was reported Disney had actual financial input into the show, I got told that was fear-mongering nonsense and clearly untrue, Disney only had the rights to stream the episodes outside of the UK. And then it turned out that whoops, yes, Disney is actually contributing to the budget of the show. And now that it's being reported that Disney requested changes that RTD was perfectly happy to comply with--and not changes due to violent or adult tone or content, but because something wasn't "fun" enough in Disney's view, whatever that means--people are falling over themselves to justify how that's fine too. :rolleyes:

I hope the series and whatever spinoffs RTD comes up with justify y'all's faith in him, and that the show gets a chance to be good once again; lord knows you guys deserve it after Chibnall's run. That said, you'll forgive me if I'm just the tiniest bit cynical about the whole thing.

So if we're scapegoating Disney no matter what, what are we doing with Andor, then? Some corporate entity gave Tony Gilroy 200 millions dollars to make 12 episodes of the poo poo he loves to do, but in a Star Wars setting, and it's some of the best tv in years. Is that good Disney or bad Disney? Or is it Lucasfilm? Which is it if we're fearmongering every single thing that has to do with Disney?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yannick_B posted:

So if we're scapegoating Disney no matter what, what are we doing with Andor, then? Some corporate entity gave Tony Gilroy 200 millions dollars to make 12 episodes of the poo poo he loves to do, but in a Star Wars setting, and it's some of the best tv in years. Is that good Disney or bad Disney? Or is it Lucasfilm? Which is it if we're fearmongering every single thing that has to do with Disney?

Andor is great, primarily because you had a creator with a strong vision of what they wanted to do. Incidentally, the only reason Gilroy got involved with the show is that Disney asked him to take a look at their original concept and he savaged it so bad that they retooled the entire series and brought him on board. I trust RTD to do that sort of thing, mostly becausehe'sbeen doing this for over 20 years. But we've already seen what happens when you give it to somebody who is only interested in filling time and will just nod along to whatever slop the investors want.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Andor is great, primarily because you had a creator with a strong vision of what they wanted to do. Incidentally, the only reason Gilroy got involved with the show is that Disney asked him to take a look at their original concept and he savaged it so bad that they retooled the entire series and brought him on board. I trust RTD to do that sort of thing, mostly becausehe'sbeen doing this for over 20 years. But we've already seen what happens when you give it to somebody who is only interested in filling time and will just nod along to whatever slop the investors want.

Of course! And they knew Gilroy could do it because he did it on Rogue One. When they hit a snag, it feels like Lucasfilm goes to steady hands to make sure the shows/movies are done (sometimes it turns out well, sometimes it doesn't).
Like, I'm not saying Disney as a company isn't bad or doesn't do bad stuff in other spheres but when it's about the production of shows so far, it always seems like it comes from the production companies actually making the shows. Like, I'm not sure Disney goes in and says "put a young Leia in Obi-Wan".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Doctor Who becoming a big Disney brand seems not very Doctor Who-ish. It's a strange little BBC cult family TV show with a strong sense of identity. Doctor Who should look a bit cheap and rubbish, that's part of the charm.

While I'm excited for Ncuti Gatwa, I'm not really excited for RTD to return, because frankly, the Moffat era was simply better. Maybe putting it all on one showrunner is a bad idea, and it's better to return to the script editor/head writer format.

Giving one person too much creative freedom is how we get the stuff the franchise doesn't need, like The Timeless Children, or the 'Time Lords are in eternal fighting with ancient hyper intelligent mammoths that existed before the universe' or 'half human on my mother's side' kind of ideas.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 6, 2023