Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

mlmp08 posted:

Congress already granted wide presidential drawdown authority, totaling $3.7bn for FY23. Most of that is still unallocated. Pretty sure this requires zero new legislation given, those facts.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF12040

https://www.state.gov/use-of-presidential-drawdown-authority-for-military-assistance-for-ukraine/

E: To make it easier to find, here's the language reference Congress having already approved this in advance, even if Congress leaves it up to the president to decide how and when to utilize PDA. Emphasis added.

"Overview of Programs Since 2014
The United States has used a variety of security assistance
programs and authorities to help build the defensive
capacity of the Ukrainian Armed Forces (UAF) through
train, equip, and advise efforts across multiple spending
accounts.
Especially since 2021, the United States has been providing
defense items to Ukraine via Presidential Drawdown
Authority (PDA), by which the President can authorize the
immediate transfer of articles and services from U.S.
stocks, up to a funding cap established in law, in response
to an “unforeseen emergency” (22 U.S.C. §2318(a)(1)).

Since August 2021, the Biden Administration has
authorized 26 drawdowns valued at $11.7 billion (Table 1). "

Of all the aspects of government prioritized to function without congressional approval, it makes perfect sense Biden would power move on this.

Thanks for the info, I hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Sure, but compare to what's going on in Canada, where Irving is essentially dictating to the government what our navy will look like.

I'd say Lock Mart will dictate what our navy will look like since we went with one of their design. Irving will dictate how big the fleet will be. Davies might deliver a supply ship on time.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Defense Politics Asia has made his medium-useful live map a patreon exclusive. It's been pretty difficult to get a more granular visual of what the front lines look like and where pushes or explosions or attacks actually are - especially when you're talking about small villages that could be referred to in Russian or Ukrainian at any given moment, or changes in control are measured in 100m increments - and I found his work to plot it all out pretty helpful. It's mostly sourced from official reports from both sides or crowdsourced from (semi)confirmed telegram poo poo, I think, but displayed without exaggerated red advancement arrows or little infographics of whatever American wunderwaffen is being used. Pretty dry stuff that helped me get a handle on the tactical side of what's going on, and a bit of the larger strategic stuff.

That said, will I gently caress be paying 14 canuckbucks a month for access that sort of thing. All power to him, I think he's still doing youtube summaries and delivering lukewarm takes on the bird site, but I don't think I'm at the point in my life that I finance someone's armchair general fantasy. @Suriyakmaps is putting out similar map-based content on twitter, so they're my new best friend now I guess

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
so ukraines gonna get amx-10rcs, marders and bradleys. we will soon find out if mixed blufor is a good meta deck once and for all. a hodgepodge of equipment and logistics conundrum matched only by the indonesian air force

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

blufor support deck with a redfor infantry spam vs an all russian support deck team

map setting is on destruction (no time limit)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

OctaMurk posted:

so ukraines gonna get amx-10rcs, marders and bradleys. we will soon find out if mixed blufor is a good meta deck once and for all. a hodgepodge of equipment and logistics conundrum matched only by the indonesian air force

you got your crotales in my rolands!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Really interested to see what grade of Bradley they're getting. I picture it being gulf war 1 spec Arizona surplus but I'm a cynic.

Amx will be intriguing to see. Have those seen any real combat anywhere? Seems like a good design on paper for cold war gone hot.

Marder will be an absolute shitter, calling it now.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Really interested to see what grade of Bradley they're getting. I picture it being gulf war 1 spec Arizona surplus but I'm a cynic.

Amx will be intriguing to see. Have those seen any real combat anywhere? Seems like a good design on paper for cold war gone hot.

Marder will be an absolute shitter, calling it now.

There is hype for the AMX 10 RCR but hell if I know how they would use one when nearly anything could take it out. I rather be in one of those modernized T-55s.

I guess the big idea is they are going to gather all of this stuff together in some big wasteful offensive like Kherson (without eventually threatening to blow up a dam as leverage)? Otherwise, it seems like just a hodgepodge that would eventually be rendered inoperative by the elements.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:38 on Jan 6, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
nato decks are loving trash without the grizzlies or whatever

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Pretty fun in Regiments to use a quality East German or Soviet platoon and artillery to suppress while ordering one of the lovely but large reserve companies to just clumsily mob the objective. Lots of your guys die, but effective, and they're cheap to replace.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

that’s a pretty cool map

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

that’s a pretty cool map

Turkey furious over color-coding, or lack thereof, on Cyprus.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does anyone know how training data works for AI art generators? I tried to depict German rearmament and heavy industry because it came up in the thread today,

used these from German news stories in 2022 as the reference photos

but the result seems a bit off

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

do you have any more? dm me

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hmmm, did a quick run and it gave me a prime suspect for Nord Stream

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume the AI art thread is a better place to ask, but there are white papers and guides on how this stuff works.

Although I haven't seen anything that copies an entire painting with all the themes and composition wholesale.

Right now the only thing I've seen people train models for is to insert one specific object into existing images, or to replace a person/object with a specific subject.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I beg you to do the ai art in the dedicated threads.photos and shops only imo.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lostconfused posted:

I assume the AI art thread is a better place to ask, but there are white papers and guides on how this stuff works.

Although I haven't seen anything that copies an entire painting with all the themes and composition wholesale.

Right now the only thing I've seen people train models for is to insert one specific object into existing images, or to replace a person/object with a specific subject.

stable diffusion's github is pretty good for explaining some stuff, especially if you want to learn how to use it rather than the math underpinning it.

https://github.com/CompVis/stable-diffusion

dall-e mini is another one and this was kind of a neat article https://wandb.ai/dalle-mini/dalle-mini/reports/DALL-E-mini--Vmlldzo4NjIxODA

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

Hmmm, did a quick run and it gave me a prime suspect for Nord Stream

Same, but I said it was Polish Navy GROM commandos, and punched in these images as reference:

I still can't put my finger on why the results feel strange. Maybe not masculine enough?

Steel workers and commando swimmers are real men's men and I feel like the AI just doesn't understand.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Jan 6, 2023

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cuttlefush posted:

nato decks are loving trash without the grizzlies or whatever

South Korea deck, spam the conscripted teenagers with super bazookas, F86s with rockets and loving Sherman tanks :pcgaming:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the market for lovely cover art for pulp is certainly covered by the AI tools now

lol they ran outa pulp before it was economical. people liked having their own piece of strange art in a book, not so much with digital productions

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Steel workers and commando swimmers are real men's men

I think some of them are straight too

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so Ukraine isnt accepting the truce plus they're getting a bunch of armoured vehicles? Putin sure won't be very happy about that

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CODChimera posted:

so Ukraine isnt accepting the truce plus they're getting a bunch of armoured vehicles? Putin sure won't be very happy about that

Ukraine just knows how to ask Santa for the right things, clearly Russia doesn't.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Same, but I said it was Polish Navy GROM commandos, and punched in these images as reference:

I still can't put my finger on why the results feel strange. Maybe not masculine enough?

Steel workers and commando swimmers are real men's men and I feel like the AI just doesn't understand.

dudes rock

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Frosted Flake posted:

these pictures look pretty masculine to me FF

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

there’s nothing more masculine than the MP5

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

CODChimera posted:

I'm guessing that they aren't telling their soldiers they rejected a temporary ceasefire and this hullabaloo was all for the consumption of the west. If I was on the ground in Bakhmut potentially living on the edge of life and death and I heard that my government turned down a truce just to spit in the Russian's face I may not be the happiest camper in the entire world.

**I mean the statements about how Putin needs this 36 hour cease fire to give the Russian army air and it's about to collapse seem ridiculous on it's face.. if the Russian army is in that bad of shape take the cease fire and then smash them up after it's done, what is 36 hours going to change? Just sad that the killing can't stop for even a brief moment in time.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The best thing would be to actually hang back and use that time themselves considering the casualties the AFU have been taking. The dumbest thing would be to make some symbolic attack that the Russians could then turn for their own domestic use.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ardennes posted:

The best thing would be to actually hang back and use that time themselves considering the casualties the AFU have been taking. The dumbest thing would be to make some symbolic attack that the Russians could then turn for their own domestic use.

as the defenders I thought Ukraine would love a ceasefire. like yeah maybe "Russia will rearm" but...so will Ukraine? and they actually have armour and missile defence systems on the way. plus it gives them time to repair infrastructure, help civilians etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

as the defenders I thought Ukraine would love a ceasefire.

this would not be the first time in this war that a militarily sensible move was overruled by political considerations

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, I doubt what the West has proposed giving them is going to make the difference, but still it would be much needed time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
remember when everyone thought there was no way russians were dumb enough to invade, considering ukraine can't get into nato unless they somehow retake donbass/crimea anyway

and how ukrainians immediately killed their negotiator when russians retreated from kiev outskirts

it's been an incredibly dumb war politically active special military operation ever since it started lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Truga posted:

remember when everyone thought there was no way russians were dumb enough to invade, considering ukraine can't get into nato unless they somehow retake donbass/crimea anyway

and how ukrainians immediately killed their negotiator when russians retreated from kiev outskirts

it's been an incredibly dumb war politically active special military operation ever since it started lmao

Admittedly, I thought they were wrong in the sense, the issue wasn't NATO membership itself but arms shipments reaching the point that Russia couldn't act. The stupid part was going in so half assed the war had to drag on for months if almost certainly longer than a year.

But yeah, no one is coming out of this looking great.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its not like the ukranian government would be allowed to move towards any deescalation even if they wanted to

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Let’s not pretend taking a day off for Christmas would have actually led to peace or that we missed some unique opportunity to end the war. It wouldn’t have even really saved any lives since the people who were going to die in the next action will still die in said action, just now their tombstone will say January 8 instead of 7.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

*armoured technically, yes

Will they last longer than the bushmasters? Maybe by virtue of numbers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm wondering what the Russian perspective is for 2023. Are they content for a stalemated war to rumble on more or less indefinitely? Or are they calculating that Ukraine simply cannot sustain operations at this intensity and will be forced to come to terms later in the year? Or are they planning a big Spring offensive to materially change the current situation on the ground?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm wondering what the Russian perspective is for 2023. Are they content for a stalemated war to rumble on more or less indefinitely? Or are they calculating that Ukraine simply cannot sustain operations at this intensity and will be forced to come to terms later in the year? Or are they planning a big Spring offensive to materially change the current situation on the ground?

given how things are going i dont think the russians are thinking much about it. they'll play it by ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pistol_Pete posted:

I mean no one really knows what the Kremlin is thinking at this point, but I don’t think they are happy with a near stalemate or thinking Kiev will come to terms. It is probably just going to be a similar grind to the one going on now with an aim at getting a material advantage over the Ukrainians, it may be that any big offensive will be longer out.

That said, a lot of it depends on how you think the war is going. Personally, I think the Russians are largely still keeping their force preservation approach by heavily fortifying most of their positions, utilizing artillery, and really moving pressing forward around Bakmut/Soledar with Wagner mercs. The question comes what happens next or if the Ukrainians can launch another counter-offensive.

I think they (the AFU) are going to have a much tougher time in the past because they are likely going to have to push in heavily fortified positions with a hodgepodge of light AFVs. Supposedly, they are also getting some modernized T-72s but they don’t want to be in a position like Kherson where they are just throwing away formations with no much to show for it.