Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

kater posted:

don’t farmers like just use plastic sheets for whatever reason and then till it all into soil? worrying about tiny poop plastic seems like it is skipping a few steps.

They have machines now to retrieve black plastic mulch and drip irrigation tubes after harvest (mostly). What happens to the reels of deteriorating plastic thrown into dumpsters is left as an exercise for the reader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LFEjy1FcBc

Which reminds me, I haven't heard the term "plasticulture" for a while. Time for a little Googling to see where we're at with growing our food in and under plastic all the time.

CODChimera posted:

i still think there's a decent chance that the microplastics end up helping us get outta this jam

Behold the Prophet! Biodegradable plastic mulch (a.k.a. accelerated microplastic producing technology) will save us from climate change!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5EPaaVpfY

:rubby::stare::suicide:

edit: okay, maybe I'm being a little harsh here jumping to conclusions that this is the usual starch and polymer matrix bullshit:

UCONN posted:

BDM must be 90% biodegraded into carbon and water within two years of being tilled into the soil, the remaining 10% is a microbial biomass.

Maybe they've got something good going here but you could drive a tractor through some of those weasel words.

Hexigrammus has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
microplastics are kosher/ halal, right?

asking for friends.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
You'll never guess what RO membranes are made of!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi0lq6ggMk8

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pidgin Englishman posted:

You'll never guess what RO membranes are made of!

Plastic in da membrane!
Plastic in da brain!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

kater posted:

don’t farmers like just use plastic sheets for whatever reason and then till it all into soil? worrying about tiny poop plastic seems like it is skipping a few steps.

I think that's one vector for it getting into the food chain. They use black plastic sheets to suppress weed growth and then just till it into the soil when they're done rather than properly disposing of it.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
microplastics [leaching] in[to] the water [table] are bimbofying the freakin' frogs bdelloids!

and i'm here for it! :heysexy:

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
*bdimbofying

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
while microplastics harm most forms of life it turns out we just gave tardigrades boulders to push around and get swole

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Last night I had a dream that I being chased by the Terminator but it was raining microplastics and the microplastics got all over him and into his liquid metal and hosed him right up so I got away

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

there's room for a movie about tardigrades and other micro-organisms and their habitat being invaded by inexplicable large colorful rocks

spongebob squarepants but tiny

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Tardibob Gradetrousers

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Gravid Topiary posted:

i don't think we've worried about clouds in at least a month

blood!

then mix that with Global warming in the pipeline, which bases a lot of its modelling on clouds and the entire fast/slow feedback whatever. could be bad if clouds really decide to gently caress off just as we stop emitting aerosols and the methane skyrockets

BLOOD!

a lovely poster from the sea ice forums sums it up nicely:

BLOOD!

lol that owns

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I bet the ai used that first article to cite plastic in the water and air, but didn't "intend" to use it to self-contradict

Oh well not gonna read anyway

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
the AI is also a loving idiot for many other reasons, but now I'm mad about bioplastics

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyW3P-bsFY

taste the microplastics in your blood

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

jetz0r posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyW3P-bsFY

taste the microplastics in your blood

is that also what makes you feel like you pissed yourself when they inject you with mri contrast or whatever that poo poo is

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i cant wait till society breaks down so future humans can draw crude charcoal maps littered with environmental disaster zones. Here be firenados

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

i cant wait till society breaks down so future humans can draw crude charcoal maps littered with environmental disaster zones. Here be firenados

I really wonder what post-industrial humanity will look like, and how homo sapiens (and whatever else is left) will "evolve" given tens and hundreds of millenia.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Microbdlastics

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

just looks like bicycles to me

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://news.yahoo.com/great-salt-lake-track-disappear-004427524.html

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Cuttlefush posted:

just looks like bicycles to me

Bicyclegate is verboten

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

A goldie oldie.

https://www.floodmap.net/

We're on track so far for 1 metre sea level rise every 10 years. You can punch in 3 or 4 metres and have a look at your new surroundings.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

BCR posted:

A goldie oldie.

https://www.floodmap.net/

We're on track so far for 1 metre sea level rise every 10 years. You can punch in 3 or 4 metres and have a look at your new surroundings.

worth it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

A world just absolutely filled to the brim of every possible sort of industrial contaminant pervading every part of the biosphere, where the vast majority of the planet's fauna and flora disappeared.

The thing people keep forgetting about geological timescales and the mark we'll leave permanently on this planet. Maybe you'll even endeavor to leave no trace at all.

Imagine, a hundred million years from now, imagine that you are a scientist of this planet's next dominant species. You discover that this planet once held intelligent life, what they did, what they left behind, and possibly even what mistakes we did along the way.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Was There a Civilization on Earth Before Humanity?

[...]

In addition, our work also opened up the speculative possibility that some planets might have fossil-fuel-driven cycles of civilization building and collapse. If a civilization uses fossil fuels, the climate change they trigger can lead to a large decrease in ocean oxygen levels. These low oxygen levels (called ocean anoxia) help trigger the conditions needed for making fossil fuels like oil and coal in the first place. In this way, a civilization and its demise might sow the seed for new civilizations in the future.

[...]

edit: I hate doing quote spams so I'm gonna just do this

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Jan 8, 2023

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BCR posted:

We're on track so far for 1 metre sea level rise every 10 years.

Do you have a source for that? It would be a massive addition to the “worst than expected” pile.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Hubbert posted:

[...]

In addition, our work also opened up the speculative possibility that some planets might have fossil-fuel-driven cycles of civilization building and collapse. If a civilization uses fossil fuels, the climate change they trigger can lead to a large decrease in ocean oxygen levels. These low oxygen levels (called ocean anoxia) help trigger the conditions needed for making fossil fuels like oil and coal in the first place. In this way, a civilization and its demise might sow the seed for new civilizations in the future.

[...]

I've spent a ton of time pondering this because honestly, fossil records suck poo poo and like gently caress we havent explored really any of the ocean. Coulda been a whole loving intelligent water based civilization and we'd never know.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
we're on track for 10 metres sea level rise every 1 year

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of collapse struggles.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

I really wonder what post-industrial humanity will look like, and how homo sapiens (and whatever else is left) will "evolve" given tens and hundreds of millenia.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i dunno you can't really exploit fossil fuels underwater, from scratch.

i wonder if it was just dumb luck that no industrial civilisation emerged during the last two interglacials. fully modern humans just dicking around and missing two chances to blow the earth up. what a waste of time.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

silicone thrills posted:

I've spent a ton of time pondering this because honestly, fossil records suck poo poo and like gently caress we havent explored really any of the ocean. Coulda been a whole loving intelligent water based civilization and we'd never know.

they're still there and the source of the uap

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

[...]

[...]

Those Fracking Toasters!!!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I wanna join the Kanga Rat Murder Society. sounds cool af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Hubbert posted:

Someone a page or so back posted those "world's most dangerous roads" docos that give a really cool look at some extremely isolated places, and honestly they're probably a pretty good indicator of what it could be like.