Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'll definitely be waiting for benchmarks if there's something going on with heterogeneous cores, especially phoronix benchmarks in Linux. Without some weird performance characteristics it'll probably be the 7950x3d. But heterogeneous cores are the main reason I'm not really considering Intel this generation since I want to give it at least another couple of years for Linux + qemu/kvm support to shake out. Though with the terrible motherboard selection any additional time I can wait to give them time to release better SKUs the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AMD also mentioned in passing during their presentation that there will be new "entry-level" AM5 motherboards coming soon, probably at around the same time as the non-X CPUs. I just hope they're not cut down too much. Current AM5 pricing is way too high even for the featureset these motherboards support.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah it seems like there's a bunch of these Steam Deck-likes in development or on the market by now, all of them using laptop APUs, so any big leaps in APU tech is probably going to filter down to these devices

Yeah the 7640 especially is gonna be real interesting when it starts to show up in handheld PCs with Zen 4+RDNA3, the current 6800U can only really match the Steam Deck until you start shoving 20+ watts into it and then you start having to shove a stupidly big battery in the device. If nothing else it'll be able to justify using 1080p screens in them.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

AMD also mentioned in passing during their presentation that there will be new "entry-level" AM5 motherboards coming soon, probably at around the same time as the non-X CPUs. I just hope they're not cut down too much. Current AM5 pricing is way too high even for the featureset these motherboards support.

I hope this ends up panning out, but they said the B650 boards would be affordable as well so I'm not holding my breath.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
https://www.anandtech.com/show/18709/amd-unveils-ryzen-9-7950x3d-7900x3d-and-ryzen-7-7800x3d-up-to-128-mb-of-l3-cache-and-5-7-ghz-boost

AMD Ryzen 7000X/X3D Series lineup
Cores Threads BaseFreq TurboFreq Memory Support L3Cache TDP MSRP
Ryzen 9 7950X3D 16C / 32T 4.2 GHz 5.7 GHz DDR5-5200 128 MB 120 W TBD

Ryzen 9 7900X3D 12C / 24T 4.4 GHz 5.6 GHz DDR5-5200 128 MB 120 W TBD

Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8C / 16T TBD 5.0 GHz DDR5-5200 96 MB 120 W TBD

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
interesting, not all ccd’s get the 3d cache

quote:

Both the 7950X3D and the 7900X3D have two four-core chiplets, marking the first time that AMD has brought this tech to a multi-CCD processor. As you can see in the above image, AMD only mounts a single SRAM chiplet atop one CCD, leaving the other CCD bare. This allows the chiplet without the 3D-stacked SRAM to operate at full speed, thus delivering the high boost clocks we see on the spec sheet. Meanwhile, the SRAM-stacked CCD will operate at a slightly lower clock rate than the rated boost for the chip.

AMD is working with Microsoft on Windows optimizations that will work in tandem with a new AMD chipset driver to identify games that prefer the increased L3 cache capacity and pin them into the CCD with the stacked cache. Other games that prefer higher frequencies more than increased L3 cache will be pinned into the bare CCD. AMD says that the bare chiplet can access the stacked L3 cache in the adjacent chiplet, but this isn’t optimal and will be rare. Yes, the chip with the extra L3 cache will run games at a slower speed, but most games don’t operate at peak clock rates, so you should still get a huge performance benefit.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-unveils-three-ryzen-7000x3d-v-cache-chips-three-new-65w-non-x-cpus-too

amd are also unlocking pbo/co aside from direct overlocking unlike with 5800X3D afaict. still would like that bios support for curve optimise though

let’s hope the thread scheduling is up for the task

kliras fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 5, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That reads more like you need the AMD chipset driver, that’ll come with a game/app list to hint the scheduling.

FFS AMD, make a 7970X3D then.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just buy 800x3d at that point lmao

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

orcane posted:

I currently have a 5800X3D in a Dan A4 with a puny Noctua NH-L9a, it's fine :v:

Nice. I have same cooler but in a Silverstone ml-09. 50c while spreadsheeting and 73c while gaming. Seems fine. Although I found a cardboard riser on the fan to ensure it sucks fresh air from outside the case helped tremendously.

I have an msi b450, think it's itx, and because of the cooler orientation the discharge through the vanes is only like 4mm from the ram. So my ram gets blasted constantly but hot air.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

don't worry, the ram can take it. in fact, it probably runs cooler being blasted by your cpu exhaust than it does with no airflow at all. i know this is usually true of other components near the cpu like the vrm

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1610974871575744514

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hardware Canucks says the 3d in 5800x doesn't matter that much. But gamers all over the thread and in my discords says it does. What's the truth?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the truth is that no one really watches hardware canucks these days. the benchmarks are readily available. they get a little toasty and have to be manually "undervolted" with pbo2, but that's about the issues. obviously don't upgrade from a 5800X to an X3D unless you're stupid rich or something, in which case you should just get the am5 stuff

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

Hardware Canucks says the 3d in 5800x doesn't matter that much. But gamers all over the thread and in my discords says it does. What's the truth?

Hardware Canucks niche is very pretty b-rolls, not good reviews/reporting. That said, it very much depends on the games you play and the settings you play at.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3D in 5800X3D matters a huge amount. Look at literally any review for it, and you'll see reviewers going gaga over how much more performance 64MB of cache can provide.

edit: vvvv this is true though. i had automatically assumed we were talking about gaming, but in many applications it's actually slower than the 5800X due to the lower clock speed. applications need to be cache sensitive to benefit from the 3d vcache, and games are exactly that which is why it's such a good gaming cpu. it's also generally pretty good at simulation workloads

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 5, 2023

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

there’s stuff it matters a lot for and stuff where it doesn’t matter at all. consult application-specific benchmarks

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Toalpaz posted:

In games it's a goddamn CPU miracle

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Toalpaz posted:

The X3D performs much better on a wide range of games and vastly better on a subset. If you are into the type of games that are demanding on CPU (sim type stuff, Stellaris and other big strategy, etc), it's definitely worth it.

For the majority of people with midrange, circa $1k* systems who play mostly action and online games, it doesn't matter as much. If that's you, you will probably have better performance over the next 3-5 years by saving the $150-200 with a cheaper CPU and putting it towards an earlier GPU upgrade.
*non-pandemic & gpu shortage price

Higher budget targets make the X3d easily worth the upgrade. And the other thing that many are hoping for is that the 5800x3d will be one of those CPUs that stays good for a long time, so that they can keep their system for several years more than normal.

tl;dr if buying the x3d is stretching your budget, it's probably not worth it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

tl;dr if buying the x3d is stretching your budget, it's probably not worth it

yeah, the only thing i'd add here is, if you're primarily a simulator/mapgames player, check some benches for x3d and decide if you want to skip a gpu upgrade and spend that money on an x3d instead because it's a minor boost in some but a complete goddamn gamechanger in others lmao

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Okay, thanks gamers.

E: I've determined that a 5xxx upgrade is better than going to am5 for me, and the savings going towards a 5800x 3d makes sense for me.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I'm thinking about the 7700 for my next desktop upgrade -- whenever I decide to finally move from AM4 to AM5. It looks like memory is actually gonna be the thing that pushes me toward that, whenever it does happen. Not because I need to go from DDR4 to DDR5 for performance reasons, but because my desktop currently has 16G, which was plenty for a very long time. But as I've started having idle and/or turn-based games constantly running as well as my browser and editor/terminal session, I'm finally getting close to filling that up.

And my dumb, hardware-as-a-toy poisoned brain is rationalizing this as a reason to rebuild my desktop, rather than just buying 32G of DDR4.

I'll probably be upgrading my crunchboxes to 7950X3Ds, but that will be happening rather later on. And depending on costs, it might make more sense to go for 7900X3Ds. What I've learned with the 3950s and 5950s is that if you have a singular multithreaded workload that wants AS MANY CORES AS POSSIBLE, then the x950s are what you're after. But if your workload is a constant stream of MANY, SINGLE-THREADED processes then the real-world throughput can be really, really close between an x900 and an x950.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1611051468160655365?t=n3cl2pMbX1K9b1Bn-VkOpA&s=19

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Would going from a 5600X to a 5800X3D be a worthwhile upgrade? I play a lot of paradox games and Factorio and similar stuff

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmmm, I'm split about this.

I guess it'll be a regular 7950X with an eventual sidegrade to an 8950X3D, if they do put V-Cache on both dies. Zen5 is rumored to be a bigger step forward, regardless, so in combination with V-Cache, maybe a shorter upgrade cycle would still be worthwhile.

Regarding the asymmetry, I don't know what to think about it. The upcoming CPU driver will probably just attempt to detect what foreground application is hogging Direct3D and lasso it as much as possible. I don't expect clever scheduling.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

VostokProgram posted:

Would going from a 5600X to a 5800X3D be a worthwhile upgrade? I play a lot of paradox games and Factorio and similar stuff

From everything I've read, the cache makes a big difference in exactly those use cases.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

VostokProgram posted:

Everything I've read about the 3D tells me that the cache is basically heaven for Paradox games, Rimworld, Factorio and similar games.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I guess it depends on the performance impact/latency hit of going across the fabric to access the cache hat vs the advantage the extra 700mhz gets you. Might depend on the workload.

Would be kinda funny if they set the preferred cores to the hat-less die because the frequency looks better in 1T cinebench or something.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrassRoots posted:

Nice. I have same cooler but in a Silverstone ml-09. 50c while spreadsheeting and 73c while gaming. Seems fine. Although I found a cardboard riser on the fan to ensure it sucks fresh air from outside the case helped tremendously.

I have an msi b450, think it's itx, and because of the cooler orientation the discharge through the vanes is only like 4mm from the ram. So my ram gets blasted constantly but hot air.
Oh yeah I manage mine with a fan duct on the (default) fan and a 90W PPT limit which I only hit while stresstesting anyway.

I think warm airflow is better than no airflow there?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Both are hard to benchmark but factorio at least has some and show a >50% uplift in UPS according to HUB.

https://youtu.be/ajDUIJalxis

Back on zen4 3D… This heterogenous core config stuff has to be some sort of test for epyc CPUs? I’m going to be pleasantly surprised if it works but I’m skeptical.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Word is, the 3D VCache CCD can only run up to 5GHz.
Word from who?

Ardryn posted:

Everything I've read about the 3D tells me that the cache is basically heaven for Paradox games, Rimworld, Factorio and similar games.
So, to elucidate a bit on this, the places where a larger cache are workloads where the code has been optimized differently - the best example of this is when you look at programming design philosophies, specifically what's called data-oriented design.

It's a bit of departure from the traditional object-oriented design which has dominated the industry (of programming, as a whole) for decades and which took over from procedural programming (ie. working primarily with functions), but the basic idea is to give up on the object model and instead consider the types of data, the memory layout, and most importantly how it's going to be read and executed by the program.

The biggest advantages that come of this design process is that it can be easier to parallelize certain subprocesses (which isn't to say that suddenly games will start utilizing all cores fully, just that it can be easier to not have one main thread that has to do everything), but moreso than that, what the design process offers is that it lets you have very tight control over data with the express purpose of ensuring it's continuous, and can thus be processed sequentialy which means the cache use shoots up as does the efficiency.

EDIT: I suck at explaining it, so have a couple of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDIkqP4JbkE

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 5, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Word from amds own charts that put the boost speed of the 7800x3d at it. The other parts boost harder though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Word from amds own charts that put the boost speed of the 7800x3d at it. The other parts boost harder though.
Sure, I noticed that the 7800X3D has a lower boost clock - but it's also the runt of the litter, so why shouldn't it have a slower clock speed?
Is there something that leads people to conclude that this must be because of the 3D V-Cache?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sure, I noticed that the 7800X3D has a lower boost clock - but it's also the runt of the litter, so why shouldn't it have a slower clock speed?
Is there something that leads people to conclude that this must be because of the 3D V-Cache?

The speculation is that it's the CCD without vcache that allows the others to boost higher; ie only the cores in the ccd without vcache will hit peak boost for the dual ccd parts.

I think the thing leading people to believe that is most likely the vcache being the reason cited for difficulty cooling and thus restricted power on the 5800x3d.

E: and the difference in boost is way more than you'd expect to see, normally if it was just segmentation and binning. There's 600mhz separating the 7800x3d and the 7900x3d.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 5, 2023

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

It also boosts lower than every non x3d sku below it, including the 7600. That is... Kind of a smoking gun.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Per this Tom's Hardware piece, the part about clocks being reduced because of cache appears to be confirmed:

quote:

Both the 7950X3D and the 7900X3D have two four-core chiplets, marking the first time that AMD has brought this tech to a multi-CCD processor. As you can see in the above image, AMD only mounts a single SRAM chiplet atop one CCD, leaving the other CCD bare. This allows the chiplet without the 3D-stacked SRAM to operate at full speed, thus delivering the high boost clocks we see on the spec sheet. Meanwhile, the SRAM-stacked CCD will operate at a slightly lower clock rate than the rated boost for the chip.

AMD is working with Microsoft on Windows optimizations that will work in tandem with a new AMD chipset driver to identify games that prefer the increased L3 cache capacity and pin them into the CCD with the stacked cache. Other games that prefer higher frequencies more than increased L3 cache will be pinned into the bare CCD. AMD says that the bare chiplet can access the stacked L3 cache in the adjacent chiplet, but this isn’t optimal and will be rare. Yes, the chip with the extra L3 cache will run games at a slower speed, but most games don’t operate at peak clock rates, so you should still get a huge performance benefit.

Not clear to me if they're reporting on the basis of just the CES stuff, which I didn't watch, or if they also obtained some comment from AMD separately. I haven't actually seen anyone cite numbers for clocks on the vcache-CCD for the 7950 or 7900 models. So the part that's still speculative seems to be that the clocks on the CCD with the added cache will resemble those of the 7800x3d core.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

From the same article:

quote:

AMD’s only allowed overclocking the memory and infinity fabric for the previous-gen 5800X3D, not other forms of core overclocking, but will now allow [...] Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO)
:sickos:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VostokProgram posted:

i saw some german dude benchmark his lategame stellaris saves (just let the game run with zero input for 360 days several times on each cpu) when he upgraded from 5800x to 5800x3d and he saw a 117% game speed increase at fastest setting lmao

stellaris is somewhat of an outlier because it's a 4x and a paradox game so late game gets really stupid, but even in "normal" games like factorio people see a 50% increase

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

kliras posted:

interesting, not all ccd’s get the 3d cache

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-unveils-three-ryzen-7000x3d-v-cache-chips-three-new-65w-non-x-cpus-too

amd are also unlocking pbo/co aside from direct overlocking unlike with 5800X3D afaict. still would like that bios support for curve optimise though

let’s hope the thread scheduling is up for the task

I'm wondering how will they make them even height? Will they CNC a spot for cache in the heat spreader? Or just ignore the issue and fill it with paste.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Truga posted:

i saw some german dude benchmark his lategame stellaris saves (just let the game run with zero input for 360 days several times on each cpu) when he upgraded from 5800x to 5800x3d and he saw a 117% game speed increase at fastest setting lmao

stellaris is somewhat of an outlier because it's a 4x and a paradox game so late game gets really stupid, but even in "normal" games like factorio people see a 50% increase

If the 5800x3D wouldnt cost 400€ here in Austria, i would buy it for Stellaris alone.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

AutismVaccine posted:

If the 5800x3D wouldnt cost 400€ here in Austria, i would buy it for Stellaris alone.

Can't you order it from Mindfactory? Or is it only for Deutschland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Can't you order it from Mindfactory? Or is it only for Deutschland?

They ship to Germany only.
Sad to see the smaller markets get hosed still :smith: