Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Question Mark Mound posted:

No Google Home widget, but I was considering going the Shortcut route. However both Shortcuts and Google Home I've found to be pretty sluggish at getting things done, so combining them both together is bound to be frustrating. I may end up needing to go this route, though. Plus Tapo's shortcuts system lets me make a shortcut to turn a light on, or one to turn it off, but not to toggle on/off based on current setting. There's another app called Watt that lets me access my Tapo stuff in shortcuts and from there I made an If,Then,Else shortcut to toggle the light, but it's pretty slow vs the old-style Widget Tapo has.

My entire house is Google Home and tbh I very rarely use the home app or widgets (I'm on android still and subbed to this thread cause I was gonna be moving to ios soon). I usually just say OK Google and say a routine I've created 'turn on upstairs lights' or specific devices. I have a home hub in the central location or I use my phone for OK Google when I'm not near it. (can I use OK Google on ios?)

If you're not opposed to having a spy smart speaker and don't already have one, google home minis can get cheap or free in some sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bagmonkey posted:

I just checked my iPhone 14 Pro and there's a cellular data breakdown under Settings>Cellular at the bottom

edit - Verizon for reference

What i actually want is to tell my phone, "this is how much data i have per period, and this is when it resets. Give mea notification when i hit 50/75/90% used."

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mister Facetious posted:

What i actually want is to tell my phone, "this is how much data i have per period, and this is when it resets. Give mea notification when i hit 50/75/90% used."

Ah I misunderstood when I first read but this would be a nice feature. I wish we could just have universal cheap unlimited mobile by now. Caps were a thing for home internet for many years, let’s do away with that tripe.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'd started to set up a HomeBridge server on a spare Pi but to access it when outside of the wifi range I'd need to buy a modern-ish Apple TV which I was hoping to avoid. As with the above, I'm a cheapskate (or, well, had just recently moved in with my partner so wanted to save costs where possible)!

You can regularly find HomePod Minis for $60-$80 that work as a HomeKit Matter hub. They make decent multi-room speakers, too.

Resdfru posted:

My entire house is Google Home and tbh I very rarely use the home app or widgets (I'm on android still and subbed to this thread cause I was gonna be moving to ios soon). I usually just say OK Google and say a routine I've created 'turn on upstairs lights' or specific devices. I have a home hub in the central location or I use my phone for OK Google when I'm not near it. (can I use OK Google on ios?)

If you're not opposed to having a spy smart speaker and don't already have one, google home minis can get cheap or free in some sales

Lol, you're probably going to hate iOS. There are ways to add OK Google, but using workarounds or you'll have to open the Google Home app to issue a command. Some of your smarthome gear might be Homekit compatible - maybe you'll be able to integrate some of it into Siri and the Home app's convenient control center area.

I'll never be a fan of putting microphones all over my house when I can just be more selective with the products I purchase so I can natively just use Siri from my Watch and iPhone, which are literally always with me. We have a Google Home Hub that we got for free, I use it as a picture frame with the microphone off at all times. I consider myself platform agnostic, so I'm still familiar with Google's ecosystem, but I don't think it adds any benefit for my use-case, and they were missing a lot of features like sensor support until recently.

Y'all shouldn't be okay with putting a bunch of microphones in your house from a company that freely hands over your personal data to the police without a warrant. Amazon does it, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 4, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Are there any apps that can get access to non-Homekit smart home stuff (bulbs and plugs, maybe even cameras too but that seems unlikely) that has a modern style widget that I can put on my homescreen? I exclusively have Tapo (TP-Link) stuff in my house but their widget is still the only pre-iOS 15 or whatever one that has to live at the very bottom of the side-widget screen which is a bit inconvenient.

There's an app called Watt that I can use for more detailed Shortcuts accessing my Tapo devices but it doesn't seem to have a widget.

I don't know about the particular brand but sometimes long pressing/force pressing/whatever pressing the company's app lets you do some commands.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Corb3t posted:

You can regularly find HomePod Minis for $60-$80 that work as a HomeKit Matter hub. They make decent multi-room speakers, too.

Lol, you're probably going to hate iOS. There are ways to add OK Google, but using workarounds or opening the Google Home app.

I'll never be a fan of putting microphones all over my house when I can just be more selective with the products I purchase so I can natively just used Siri from my Watch and iPhone throughout the house. We have a Google Home Hub that we got for free, I use it as a picture frame with the microphone off at all times. I consider myself platform agnostic, so I'm still familiar with the ecosystem, but I don't think it adds any benefit for my use-case.

yea I'm not gonna fault anyone for not wanting mics all over the house. I have android so Google already knows everything there is to know about me. I have been getting into self hosting all my poo poo in containers lately and something I do plan on doing is self hosting my own home automation.

good to know about issues with google on iOS. I should probably trial it out before getting my wife to move to ios too. I think its inevitable that we will though, my son is coming up on getting-a-phone age and I think the parental controls on iOS are heads and shoulders above Android so at some point I'm gonna have to go for it

Actually, the only issue I have with iOS is Ask to Buy, sometimes it will just stop sending requests to mine or my wife's iPad. The 2 kids and our iPads are all on teh latest update but it just wont work. They do go to my Macbook which is nice, but not ideal. I hope it works consistently when I get a phone :|

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Resdfru posted:

Oh we have one of those Google Nest Hub screen things as a base station but I’m not a big fan of voice commands, both for “not waking everyone up in the morning” and “they all hate my accent, Siri included” reasons.

Way too often I tell it “turn on my bedroom light” and it decides to turn off my bedroom light which is already off… and also the smart plug my PC is connected to because it’s in the “bedroom” room on Google home.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inner Light posted:

Ah I misunderstood when I first read but this would be a nice feature. I wish we could just have universal cheap unlimited mobile by now. Caps were a thing for home internet for many years, let’s do away with that tripe.

I live in a 4 way price fixing cartel ( soon to be three way price fixing cartel) with no foreign competition. :shepicide:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Resdfru posted:

good to know about issues with google on iOS. I should probably trial it out before getting my wife to move to ios too. I think its inevitable that we will though, my son is coming up on getting-a-phone age and I think the parental controls on iOS are heads and shoulders above Android so at some point I'm gonna have to go for it

Definitely come back here when you get your hands on an iPhone and have more questions!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.withings.com/us/en/u-scan

The thing you didn't know you needed announced at CES: Piss testing on your iPhone

All that and it doesn't do drug testing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Aqara is releasing a HomeKit Secure Video doorbell and NFC smart lock next month. Really affordable, too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Pretty happy with my circle view doorbell but nice to have options in the very limited field that is HomeKit

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How do I change what credit card iCloud+ uses for payment? I need it to use my business debit card, which is not the default. It didn't ask me when I signed up, just charged it to my personal credit card. I can't seem to be able to find how to change how it's billed.

e: looks like it's not possible, you can only bill your default card for some amazingly stupid reason https://appletoolbox.com/want-to-change-your-icloud-payment-method-heres-how-to-do-it/

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 5, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

Pretty happy with my circle view doorbell but nice to have options in the very limited field that is HomeKit

How's your battery life? I considered a Circle View at one point, but the complaints on the Homekit subreddit scared me away.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
My wife is looking to upgrade from an 8 to a 14 and is looking for a decent folio case.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Puddin posted:

My wife is looking to upgrade from an 8 to a 14 and is looking for a decent folio case.

My recommendation would be not to use a folio case

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
My wife has been using the "LUPA Legacy" wallet cases sold on Amazon for her various phones over the last few years (6, 8, and now 13) and she is happy with them. Decent quality and room for a ID and a couple of other cards she accesses frequently and keeps the screen from scratching in her messy purse. I'm not a fan of the bulk, myself, but it suits her needs and they are only like 20 something bucks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Puddin posted:

If she only uses 1-3 cards the wallet MagSafe actually works super well. I’ve tried folio cases before and they’re always a bit awkward , this is way more streamlined. Obviously this is very much personal preference though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Corb3t posted:

How's your battery life? I considered a Circle View at one point, but the complaints on the Homekit subreddit scared me away.

It's wired only, it replaced a Nest hello doorbell. I had some WiFi issues but I tweaked a few things on my network and added a mesh node to increase my coverage and things are great now.

It's pretty good overall, it has a good FOV and you can actually see things at night. I wanted an upgrade after some dudes sawed off the catalytic converter on my truck and all you could see was a gray smudge on the Nest.

I installed it after the summer so I can't say if it overheats or not, but I have an east-facing house so it'll only get sun in the mornings anyway

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

101 posted:

My recommendation would be not to use a folio case

Oh I've tried, but she wants what she wants.

Thanks all for the rec's.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If I convert my SIM to an eSIM, is it now tied to that device or my iCloud account? What happens if I need to do an iTunes/Finder restore?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If I convert my SIM to an eSIM, is it now tied to that device or my iCloud account? What happens if I need to do an iTunes/Finder restore?

eSIM works exactly the same as a SIM card , so business as usual.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I just had a forced upgrade from an xs max to a 14 pro due to the old phone’s screen dying.

I wanted to go with a smaller phone, that aspect and the screen and camera are great.

Moving away from a phone with Force Touch feels like a massive step backwards though, can’t quite believe they abandoned that tech for budget reasons. Certainly far more use that the dynamic island ever will be, used it every day since the 6S+.

Text selection and editing in general is way worse.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Tied to device, in certain cases non transferable(depends on telco provider).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

wooger posted:

I just had a forced upgrade from an xs max to a 14 pro due to the old phone’s screen dying.

I wanted to go with a smaller phone, that aspect and the screen and camera are great.

Moving away from a phone with Force Touch feels like a massive step backwards though, can’t quite believe they abandoned that tech for budget reasons. Certainly far more use that the dynamic island ever will be, used it every day since the 6S+.

FYI, you can still move the cursor around a text field like you could by force touching the keyboard - you initiate it by long pressing the spacebar and then it works as before.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

I somewhat agree with this, but Force Touch was flawed from the start. Good idea ? Yes. Intuitive ? Absolutely not. Most regular people never knew it was there or knew how it worked. Especially the two different forces of clicks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Duckman2008 posted:

I somewhat agree with this, but Force Touch was flawed from the start. Good idea ? Yes. Intuitive ? Absolutely not. Most regular people never knew it was there or knew how it worked. Especially the two different forces of clicks.

I don’t care about other people who don’t know how to use their phone, just my own utility.

It was clearly stripped out for cost. On the most expensive & profitable phone on the market.

It’s akin to ‘M ost people can’t touch type, let’s reduce key rollover to 2. ‘

The Lord Bude posted:

FYI, you can still move the cursor around a text field like you could by force touching the keyboard - you initiate it by long pressing the spacebar and then it works as before.

It doesn’t work the same, you can’t force press on words, or drag across paragraphs once activated to mass select text. Which I used constantly.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it was also dropped due to physical space and advancing screen tech iirc

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My complaint about the loss of Force Touch is the Lock Screen icons for the camera and flashlight. It's both too easy to accidentally trigger them when you don't want, and too annoying to trigger when you do. Force Touch was super reliable for me.

And lol that iOS still capitalizes Force Touch.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

wooger posted:

I don’t care about other people who don’t know how to use their phone, just my own utility.

It was clearly stripped out for cost. On the most expensive & profitable phone on the market.

It’s akin to ‘M ost people can’t touch type, let’s reduce key rollover to 2. ‘

It doesn’t work the same, you can’t force press on words, or drag across paragraphs once activated to mass select text. Which I used constantly.

Lol what do you want us to tell you? Apple can work around the omission of Force Touch hardware using software. Force Touch requires adding capacitive sensors into into the display. Apple experimented with alternative technology and decided it wasn't worth it - you don't see other manufacturers including it their phones. They still include it in their MacBook trackpads.

I always thought Force Touching was finicky and inconsistent - many third party apps didn't take advantage of it, and if a feature is unreliable and inconsistent, users are less likely to even bother using it.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Miss being able to do a pop and a peek

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Corb3t posted:

Lol what do you want us to tell you? Apple can work around the omission of Force Touch hardware using software. Force Touch requires adding capacitive sensors into into the display. Apple experimented with alternative technology and decided it wasn't worth it - you don't see other manufacturers including it their phones. They still include it in their MacBook trackpads.

I always thought Force Touching was finicky and inconsistent - many third party apps didn't take advantage of it, and if a feature is unreliable and inconsistent, users are less likely to even bother using it.

Remember how blackberries let you click the entire screen?

Idk why I’m reminded of it but that was pretty cool.

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

wooger posted:

I think I know what you’re referring to here, and that was super nice with Force Touch. If it is, there is a (relatively unintuitive) option on the new phones to do this by

1. Pushing and holding on the space bar, and when the text selection cursor become active
2. ‘Hold’ the shift key and start dragging to enable text selection

If you’re thinking of something different, or already know about this and don’t like it, feel free to ignore.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

iOS question: I’ve got a 13 Pro running 16.2. Since I updated to 16, if I ever copy something to paste into another app I always get a notification that says “Do you want to allow (app I copied from) to paste to (app I am in now)?” I always say yes then have to paste again. But every day this resets and the apps never remember that I gave permission to paste. How do I make this behavior go away so I can just copy and paste between apps without getting the annoying dialogue?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

iOS question: I’ve got a 13 Pro running 16.2. Since I updated to 16, if I ever copy something to paste into another app I always get a notification that says “Do you want to allow (app I copied from) to paste to (app I am in now)?” I always say yes then have to paste again. But every day this resets and the apps never remember that I gave permission to paste. How do I make this behavior go away so I can just copy and paste between apps without getting the annoying dialogue?
I'm not sure that you can :( One of the recent iOS updates was supposed to have fixed that bug but I still get it too. Maybe there's a way to fix it that I don't know about, though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well crap :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Remember how blackberries let you click the entire screen?

Idk why I’m reminded of it but that was pretty cool.

The phone that did that also had an insane failure rate and was the catalyst Verizon started not relying on blackberry and decided over the next year to go with an Android phone as their smartphone competitor.

There’s a book on blackberry called losing the signal, and even with it being a few years old, it’s a fantastic read , highly recommend. Blackberry was so close multiple times to having smartphone (long term) domination but lost through incompetence and resting on their laurels.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

To give lasting permission, you have to go to the destination app's section in Settings and change "Paste From Other Apps" from 'Ask' to 'Allow'.

This only appears after you've tried to paste into that app at least once.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ahhhh ok. Thanks! That’s been driving me nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quackles posted:

To give lasting permission, you have to go to the destination app's section in Settings and change "Paste From Other Apps" from 'Ask' to 'Allow'.

This only appears after you've tried to paste into that app at least once.
Well that's loving annoying that you have to do that on a per app basis, but now Awful won't ask me anymore. Thank you!