Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A bunch of reps have been talking about how they're not able to do constituent casework as a result of this impasse. What kinds of casework do members of the House do? I'm familiar with the Commonwealth parliaments where MPs both resolve local concerns and also vote for national policies. I hadn't thought that members of the House did similarly local work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why is the Republican Party not throwing the chucklefucks out for doing this? Why is there no pressure on them to stop this?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Comstar posted:

Why is the Republican Party not throwing the chucklefucks out for doing this? Why is there no pressure on them to stop this?

What sort of pressure? You can't primary them and they can fundraise on their own.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Vegetable posted:

A bunch of reps have been talking about how they're not able to do constituent casework as a result of this impasse. What kinds of casework do members of the House do? I'm familiar with the Commonwealth parliaments where MPs both resolve local concerns and also vote for national policies. I hadn't thought that members of the House did similarly local work.

I don't think it's really a codified thing, but lots of congressmembers act as sort of an appeal of last resort when no one else can help. So if, say, your landlord "forgets" about every tenant's cash payment and won't return their calls, you might try calling your congressman. It's not strictly speaking their job, and they don't necessarily have legal authority to do anything, but they can cut through a lot more red tape than the average citizen and it makes for good PR for them to be seen helping the little guy. Or some of them probably tell you to get lost, but it's a known resort people have when those with power are abusing it.

Edit: Or the IRS making a mistake and withholding your salary might be a better example, I was just trying to make something up at random.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 6, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nine-gear crow posted:

The complete absence of Steve Scalise in all this has been an enduring mystery to me since this started. The fact that he has not emerged by now as the heir apparent to get McCarthy to sit down means that he probably doesn't want to be Speaker under any circumstances, so that's why the rest of the caucus is flailing about nominating clown show candidates because no one actually seriously wants the gig besides McCarthy. The #2 option for them at this point besides McCarthy is literally nobody. Because if it was Scalise, we'd know by now because Steve Scalise, the physically dickless wonder that he is, is more than ready, willing, and able to just walk in and poo poo down McCarthy's neck like a honking giga chad if he wants something, and he hasn't which means he doesn't.

Any non-Kevin has no incentive to try and save the day. Until McCarthy pulls his name or gets through they're better of just voting for him 2-4 times a day. The longer this goes on the more pressure there will be for the next guy to just be voted in.

Especially since none of them actually want the job. Let the pain pig publicly immolate himself for days or weeks, it doesn't really hurt other potential nominees, and the more pathetic McCarthy looks the easier it is for you to throw out all his pathetic bribes and promises without actual repercussions.

Edit: Also there's the issue of nobody apparently liking Kevin or backing his bid with all their being. Nobody feels bad letting a schmuck destroy himself.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 6, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vegetable posted:

They can resolve issues for constituents with other federal agencies. Calling your congressman and putting your commander on blast for being a moron is a time-honored tradition for the military :patriot:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not the house dems problem per se, but i imagine there's got to be some pressure on them once house staff start missing paychecks in a week

Icon Of Sin posted:

They can resolve issues for constituents with other federal agencies. Calling your congressman and putting your commander on blast for being a moron is a time-honored tradition for the military :patriot:

in that vein, i feel like approaching your rep or senator to try and get a recommendation for west point is basically a tradition as old as the nation

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 6, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

not the house dems problem per se, but i imagine there's got to be some pressure on them once house staff start missing paychecks in a week

The insanity caucus specifically made it a demand to strip the staff of their union so I don't think they care.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Comstar posted:

Hi fellow commonwealth member. It totally doesn’t work like that in the US. No one can throw anyone out for this, in fact because there’s no speaker technically there isn’t even a house at this point. Enjoy!

E; oh and there’s lots of pressure it’s just irrelevant because they’re basically untouchable in their districts and they couldn’t care less about actually governing.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 6, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah we can not stress enough how much absolute nothing they plan on doing for the next 2 years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Comstar posted:

Because the chucklefucks are the Republican party. There is otherwise zero daylight between Kevin McCarthy and Matt Gaetz on 99 out of 100 other issues. This just happens to be the 1 out of 100 that causes the whole apparatus to try and divide by 0 where those nanoangstroms of difference actually matter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah we can not stress enough how much absolute nothing they plan on doing for the next 2 years.

Not true at all. They plan on investigating so very many nefarious doings and things while the Q version of a "I WANT TO BELIEVE" poster hangs behind them.. Plus they've gotta impeach Biden at least once.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Comstar posted:

They are democratically elected...

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Considering how thoroughly the Freedom Caucus is loving McCarthy in full view of the public, how long until they get arrested for public indecency? There's got to be a law against this, surely?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gyges posted:

Not true at all. They plan on investigating so very many nefarious doings and things while the Q version of a "I WANT TO BELIEVE" poster hangs behind them.. Plus they've gotta impeach Biden at least once.

Pretend I quoted the MTG tweet about all the investigations this is holding up. Legislating? What's that?

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Gyges posted:

Any non-Kevin has no incentive to try and save the day. Until McCarthy pulls his name or gets through they're better of just voting for him 2-4 times a day. The longer this goes on the more pressure there will be for the next guy to just be voted in.

Especially since none of them actually want the job. Let the pain pig publicly immolate himself for days or weeks, it doesn't really hurt other potential nominees, and the more pathetic McCarthy looks the easier it is for you to throw out all his pathetic bribes and promises without actual repercussions.

Edit: Also there's the issue of nobody apparently liking Kevin or backing his bid with all their being. Nobody feels bad letting a schmuck destroy himself.

Less glibly, and to actually contribute a bit, this is basically the crux of the matter: McCarthy has no real friends and enough enemies that want to gently caress him over that there's literally nothing he can offer. He's played every side possible against the middle, and gotten caught doing it, then lied - badly - about it. He's the "eeeeh, I guess I can vote for him a bit," candidate.

And, since he didn't get in on the first ballot, and the goalposts apparently keeps moving for what the Insanity Caucus will accept as concessions, we're kind of locked into watching this horrible and absurd farce play out over and over again. At least until McCarthy realizes that he'll either have to

a) let Gaetz & co. run the House with their hands up his rear end,

b) make a deal with the Democrats, or

c) withdraw from the nomination.

Until then, we're all stuck in this demented political groundhog day with them.

:munch:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

God, I love you all. Just read all 33 glorious pages of this.

A few thoughts:

- This will likely end, one way or another, when members start getting lazy and not showing up. Members HATE working weekends which gives me a tiny hope someone might cave tmr. There's already folks with emergencies who need to be out, and we'll see more of that. Also they're lazy fuckers in general and most should be in a nursing home, guaranteed we'll see people forgetting to show up entirely. Jonah Ryan was never so prophetic as now.

- I suspect we'll start to see some BothSides "Well ACTUALLY this hurts the democrats" bullshit float up in the media and twitter conversations. I frankly think that's all nonsense. If this keeps up folks are very aware that this is a GOP problem. Trying to explain arcane Senate fuckery and resolutions and omnibus reconciliations is a goddamn nightmare to anyone outside the DC bubble. But this is literally electing a class President and they can't do that. More like a class clown! Hey-o!

- 90% of the speaker's power is fear. I work in a field adjacent to politics and have been in the room with Pelosi a handful of times. Every single elected official, even those with big splashy profiles, kowtowed to her hard. Pure loving fear. "Madame Speaker, can I please take this one?" I remember someone pleaded. The Dems have built a system that incentivizes house members fall in line; the conservative media apparatus incentivizes grandstanding and being a hilarious dildo to everyone.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Bremen posted:

It's somewhat time-dependent. The value of a Republican controlled house (as opposed to a completely non-functional house) in the next month is significantly negative to the Democrats, because not having that delays the Republicans using it to make house committees to investigate if Biden's dog once went to the bathroom on an American flag or whatever.

Dog pees -> pee evaporates -> rain falls

People of America, this precipitation map overlaid on a map of all flags in this country will prove, once and for all....

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1610826413082554370

It's interesting to watch this dynamic play out.

Boebert seems genuinely shocked that she received no GOP memo stating that, much like "fiscal conservatism", all that "drain the swamp" talk was just something Republicans say they're going to do while they're in the opposition and then actually do the opposite when they're in charge.

I don't see how the 20 holdouts don't eventually fold.

For one, they're not just up against the establishment GOP, they're also up against all the major players that would usually be on their side like Trump, MTG and Jordan, etc.

Boebert also looks like a deer in the headlights and at some point she and the rest of the holdouts are going to start getting berated by someone whose opinion they do care about.

The only one I might believe would never cave and just stand there with a poo poo-eating grin on his face for the next two years while the rest of the House Republicans burned, would be Gaetz.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
All this fuss and the only difference is one wants 100 investigations into Hunter's penis, the other 1000.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Gyges posted:

2 years of investigations into how the hell hunters cock got so dang big is an agenda afterall

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

-Blackadder- posted:

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1610826413082554370

It's interesting to watch this dynamic play out.

Boebert seems genuinely shocked that she received no GOP memo stating that, much like "fiscal conservatism", all that "drain the swamp" talk was just something Republicans say they're going to do while they're in the opposition and then actually do the opposite when they're in charge.

I don't see how the 20 holdouts don't eventually fold.

For one, they're not just up against the establishment GOP, they're also up against all the major players that would usually be on their side like Trump, MTG and Jordan, etc.

Boebert also looks like a deer in the headlights and at some point she and the rest of the holdouts are going to start getting berated by someone whose opinion they do care about.

The only one I might believe would never cave and just stand there with a poo poo-eating grin on his face for the next two years while the rest of the House Republicans burned, would be Gaetz.

It's never not funny when a leading charlatan interacts with a leading believer, and neither side can believe the other just doesn't get it. Always fun to see someone trying to explain it was all a bit to get extra land and wealth, witches aren't actually real, to the torch bearing psycho about to burn the first person's grandma.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They are democratically elected...

So? Kick them out of the party. Can't they remove the (R) next to their names?

I guess that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

2 years of investigations into how the hell hunters cock got so dang big is an agenda afterall

Well, with SCOTUS quoting Matthew Hale, Hunter Biden being subpoenaed for his involvement with the ongoing koro epidemic is not out of the question.
For the benefit of our overseas friends, the next meeting starts at 17:00 GMT.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you told me gaetz was planning to leave Congress and transition to hard right media grift Valhalla, I can’t imagine a much better way he could do it.

Easier gig, more lucrative and he’s already been cleared for under age sex trafficking so he probably thinks he’s invincible.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Comstar posted:

Yeah, parties have absolutely no control over who is part of them. David Duke has famously caused migraines for both parties by running for office under their banner. The only power that the party has over it's members and aligned politicians is by spending money to either help or hurt someone running for office.

Something that is now being offered up to be taken behind the barn and shot, if certain people will just vote for Kevin. Please. He'll do literally anything if you'll just vote for him.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Comstar posted:

The Republicans can refuse to caucus with the HFC and the 20 rebels, stripping them of any possibility of committee assignments or congressional election funds, but if they did that they'd become the minority party since the Dem caucus has more than R-20 votes, and they still couldn't elect a Speaker without Democratic help so it would get them literally nothing except a feeling of spiteful enjoyment.

There are any number of ways out of the current predicament that Republicans can choose at any time, it's just that they all personally suck for Kevin McCarthy and establishment Republicans.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 6, 2023

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Would it not be somewhat to the advantage of Dems to, eventually, offer a deal where 25 of them take a long lunch break in return for some committee assignments, no debt ceiling shenanigans, and a limit on how many times they'll impeach Biden?

I guess on the other hand, letting the clowns run the circus for the next two years may pay off at the 2024 elections.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Don't threaten us with a good time, Matt.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Would it not be somewhat to the advantage of Dems to, eventually, offer a deal where 25 of them take a long lunch break in return for some committee assignments, no debt ceiling shenanigans, and a limit on how many times they'll impeach Biden?

I guess on the other hand, letting the clowns run the circus for the next two years may pay off at the 2024 elections.

yeah but you're massively underselling how much such a deal would be worth to the dems. hell, if this turns into a battle of absentee MoCs the dems have the advantage in that scenario because of how many more votes jeffries currently has. republican's uncertainty of how that attendance struggle would go is a significant part of the urgency for them in this

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Someone once summed up the "modern" (as in, pre- to early-Trump presidency) GOP as "People who didn't realize that politics were theater and are being was was previously acted". It just got worse since, and now you have people that are probably wondering how they can get gasoline in to literally burn it all down.

Edit:

SixFigureSandwich posted:

The dems have no reason to make such a deal right now, and even if they did, there's no reason for them to trust anything the Republicans promise them because the Chaos caucus would just call for a new speaker the nanosecond any payment on a potential deal was brought up.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 6, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I just remembered that guy that stole the Speaker's lectern at J6 and am laughing like an idiot.

Someone put Gaetz's face on that guy with McCarthy chasing him.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

yeah but you're massively underselling how much such a deal would be worth to the dems. hell, if this turns into a battle of absentee MoCs the dems have the advantage in that scenario because of how many more votes jeffries currently has. republican's uncertainty of how that attendance struggle would go is a significant part of the urgency for them in this

Randalor posted:

The dems have no reason to make such a deal right now, and even if they did, there's no reason for them to trust anything the Republicans promise them because the Chaos caucus would just call for a new speaker the nanosecond any payment on a potential deal was brought up.

But the Republicans can and will vote in lockstep to stop Jeffries from being Speaker, so that's not a realistic outcome anyway. Dems do have the power to lend their votes at a high price, and as long as even a handful of Rs are willing to honour that deal, the HFC can't (successfully) remove McCarthy at a later date (e: as long as all Dems want to retain him).

I do agree that there is no rush though.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

"Calling your congressperson" is something you can do to get help if other government avenues are closed off. They may get requests from veterans to help with VA stuff, for example.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
ah yes voting in lockstep, something the republicans have been doing very well this week

also you're missing the point there: it's not about votes, eventually it becomes about attendance

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

a) let Gaetz & co. run the House with their hands up his rear end,

b) make a deal with the Democrats, or

c) withdraw from the nomination.

Until then, we're all stuck in this demented political groundhog day with them.

:munch:

The thing is I'm not sure A is even actually an option. It seems to me that there's genuinely enough of the HFC who truly want KMC's head on a spike as a demonstration of power that there actually isn't anything sufficient for him to concede to actually get himself elected speaker.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

This thread is interesting because of how uninformed everyone - us, the media, probably a lot of the reps - are. I check in the morning hoping for news overnight but nope… we all just wait for the next live squabble at moon.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

coelomate posted:

This thread is interesting because of how uninformed everyone - us, the media, probably a lot of the reps - are. I check in the morning hoping for news overnight but nope… we all just wait for the next live squabble at moon.

I mean, it's a batshit crazy situation. No one actually knows what the hell the Freedom Caucus wants (possibly even they don't know), and the Republicans have built their brand on never compromising for so long that it's considered highly unlikely that there might be some concessions to the Dems to get votes. There are options (as a lot of people have pointed out) but for various reasons they're unpalatable, so until someone buckles it's just going to be Congressional Theater.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Vegetable posted:

They can help if a federal agency built to service 350 million people accidentally puts you into the wrong category or gives you an incorrect outcome, or if you need a service asap that typically takes weeks or months. One of the more common examples is expediting passports for unforeseen situations or emergencies, but they’ll also assist if say the IRS or Social Security makes an error and you can’t seem to resolve it with the agency, which is helpful for people who don’t have the resources to hire lawyers to sue the federal government. In these cases a letter form a member of congress to the department head or an assistant head will often get someone with power looking at an issue they otherwise wouldn’t know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ah yes voting in lockstep, something the republicans have been doing very well this week

also you're missing the point there: it's not about votes, eventually it becomes about attendance

They will vote in lockstep in opposition to the Dem trying to sneak through Speaker Jeffries. And if McCarthy becomes Speaker through sheer attrition then the HFC plus Dems can just vote to remove him again as soon as attendance is high enough again.