Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

:catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Camrath posted:

My horrors tend to do the same (and when a Maine coon shits itself in a confined space the results are /not/ pretty).

When we moved from London to Shropshire we dosed up all three of them with Xanax and some sort of kitty tranquilliser. Rosa spent the entire trip on her back with her mouth open in her carrier, Bob dozed most of the way and Digby woke up for the last half hour and started to industriously chew through his carrier- which was designed for medium sized dogs. The little shite.

Then when we got here all of them walked like drunken sailors for a few hours. Wish I’d thought to video them- it was hilariously cute.

My first cat was a part maine coon moggie. We were new cat owners and the first vet trip was done in a carboard box with air holes poked in.

About five minutes from the vets, Sophie, a full grown ginger Tom (Who will live the next three years with us thinking he was a she. We wever VERY new cat owners) decides he's had enough, and smashes through the top of this box in what can only be described as the chestburster scene of Alien. the next five minutes is my bother and I trying to keep the cat inside this rapidly disingigrating box. Once the cat reaslised it could just headbut it's way through cardboard, it just kept at it.

My Dad bought a proper cat box a the vets. it was the old corrigated blue plastic things, and it was dented as well by the end of the return journey, but held.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

JUST DONT loving VOTE AT ALL

Sorry folks, it's horror all the way down. :ughh:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Littering isn't an issue you can just solve with more bins.

Go to any carpark with a McDonald's drive through nearby. You only have to wait maybe 10 minutes before you see someone dump their eaten order out their window because stepping out of the parked car and taking the 10 steps to the bin is just too much to ask.

I hate littering. I was walking through town once and watched as a teen/young adult took a burger wrapping out of his McDonald's bag and just dropped it on the floor, meters from a bin. I felt like grabbing the wrapper and stuffing it in his mouth. What made it worse is that he was walking with his mother or at least an older adult.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
The idea that someone considers Blair Charismatic in any way is wierd.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

yaffle posted:

It was quite a thing in the late nineties. It just peeled away impressively fast as the zealot horror within became impossible to contain.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 6, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

please don't post Stable Diffusion AI portraits of ugly british royalist huge jowls 4k photorealistic

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
presumably if the council litter dweebs don't have any actual powers and are just there to issue you with blackmail demands to avoid prosecution whereby they just tell on you to the police, then I can do the same? Go out with my notebook at the ready and go pro strapped to my forehead. Everyone I see gets a demand for 50quid now or I tell the cops.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

this is the original definition of fake news, ie making poo poo up for clicks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

this is the original definition of fake news, ie making poo poo up for clicks

Yeah, so I've just heard

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Speaking of Hazza bullshit, is him killing 25 Taliban fighters actually believable

zhar
May 3, 2019

NotJustANumber99 posted:

presumably if the council litter dweebs don't have any actual powers and are just there to issue you with blackmail demands to avoid prosecution whereby they just tell on you to the police, then I can do the same? Go out with my notebook at the ready and go pro strapped to my forehead. Everyone I see gets a demand for 50quid now or I tell the cops.

looks like it: https://www.bridgend.gov.uk/news/scammers-are-impersonating-litter-enforcement-officers/

funny thing is although this gov.uk article is critical of the scammers, their contracters are doing the exact same thing (targeting vulnerable people etc to hit quotas) but I guess more of the money goes to the council so it's ok

i dont think more bins would necessarily help with littering, in japan for example there are very few bins and everyone takes their rubbish home or to a convenience store bin. theres an example a few posts up of someone here littering meters from a bin. seems like a cultural issue.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

yaffle posted:

You have to remember the previous PM was John Major. Even Keith looks charismatic next to him!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I generally find most people put litter in the bin but the bins are often not emptied so you often get piles of stuff next to the bin cos there's no room.

You might not fix all littering but absolutely there are more people willing to use a bin than there are bins provided.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Speaking of Hazza bullshit, is him killing 25 Taliban fighters actually believable

Flying around in a heavily armed attack helicopter makes it entirely possible even if by accident.

Unlike that SpecOps guy who shat himself and hid while the rest of his team got massacred and proceeded to gently caress over the poor herdsman who rescued him in the aftermath because it didnt match his "yeah I was totally going all Call of Duty on those assholes" story.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really the impressive bit would be if he managed to kill more armed fighters than civilians with a helicopter.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

JUST DONT loving VOTE AT ALL

Isn't the best (actually possible) outcome of the next election that the conservatives crash and burn, but labour is short of a majority so they're forced into a coalition with the SNP/Greens.

Hahaha who am I kidding, they'll just declare it a resounding victory and sit in minority for as long as possible while fixing nothing and making a sad face.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1611347361850089472?s=20

An American story, but one with a heart-warming ending.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

You have to remember the previous PM was John Major. Even Keith looks charismatic next to him!

Yeah I was gonna say, he was up against a guy so boring that Spitting Image always portrayed him in black and white.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Really the impressive bit would be if he managed to kill more armed fighters than civilians with a helicopter.

Even that would be pretty easy, TBH, given that helicopter support is the standard panic-button if a convoy comes under attack, and Afghan militants (I'd say 'the Taliban', but let's be real here, half the time it was either supposedly allied warlords, unaffiliated bandits, or supposedly allied warlords disguising their boys as unaffiliated bandits) attacked a fuckload of convoys. Just shoot the guys who are shooting at your big trucks in the middle of nowhere.

If he were a drone pilot, I'd be squinting a lot harder at that claim. They were the ones who just randomly shot up villages and called them terrorist camps, because they were too far away to ever need to give a poo poo.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 6, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He means that he was supposed to be carrying 25 PoWs and crashed, killing them.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mebh posted:

Isn't the best (actually possible) outcome of the next election that the conservatives crash and burn, but labour is short of a majority so they're forced into a coalition with the SNP/Greens.

Hahaha who am I kidding, they'll just declare it a resounding victory and sit in minority for as long as possible while fixing nothing and making a sad face.

The Greens is, like, 1 MP and the SNP aren't all that progressive in practice (plus there's the complication they won't vote on English-specific issues, plus the first thing they'll be after is obviously another referendum).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I bet Harry is poo poo at chess.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

I honestly can’t think of any plausible outcome for the next election that isn’t a complete horrorshow. Tory majority, obviously bad. Anything from hung parliament to Labour majority will be played as a massive vindication of Starmer. (Actual real-world outcomes will be much the same in either case.) A Lib Dem surge would just be repeating past mistakes, and I don’t think a big swing to other parties is realistic.

Best I can imagine is a historically low turnout that, I dunno, generates a couple of Guardian bobblehead columns wondering why people aren’t enthused by Starmer’s incredible revitalised Labour? :smith:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1611347361850089472?s=20

An American story, but one with a heart-warming ending.

:pathetic:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Video Transcript
- Lighter, lighter.

[YELPING]

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/maps/...?msoa=E02006801

This census stuff is fun. Really surprised at how low the 'identifies as Irish' figure is across the whole country. Can't imagine what might've happened to bring those numbers down

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The problem with all of the voting true to your beliefs is that it only works if everyone else does the same. I live in a Tory majority seat, they don’t just win because the left splits the vote, they win because more than 50% of the people who vote around here are complete pieces of poo poo.

With the tories historically unpopular, it’s really difficult to know who to vote for, because we’re at “anyone but them”, but I’m 90% sure these bastards won’t ever vote Labour or Green, the seat either goes Lib Dem or Tory.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you're in a Con-Dem marginal I could understand holding your nose and voting for the piss diamond. Would be praying for a better candidate breaking the cycle though.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, he was up against a guy so boring that Spitting Image always portrayed him in black and white.

History has been kind to Major. Now the least poo poo Tory prime minister still alive , and the only one who was elected properly and served a full term.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ranking prime ministers it's like

Gordon Brown

Major
Blair

Dying

Cameron

Sunak

Thatcher

Truss

Dying again

making GBS threads myself and dying

Johnson

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Tesseraction posted:

Thatcher

Truss

?????? Interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

If you're in a Con-Dem marginal I could understand holding your nose and voting for the piss diamond. Would be praying for a better candidate breaking the cycle though.

con-dem nation

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I wonder what British politics would look like if John Smith hadn't died.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

domhal posted:

?????? Interesting.

I'd agree adjusting for time in office. If Thatcher had only managed 45 days before being replaced by someone less odious, things would be a lot better. If Truss had somehow stayed in office 11 years and still kept up the same concentration of prime ministerial badness the country would be a smoking crater.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

I'd agree adjusting for time in office. If Thatcher had only managed 45 days before being replaced by someone less odious, things would be a lot better. If Truss had somehow stayed in office 11 years and still kept up the same concentration of prime ministerial badness the country would be a smoking crater.

Yes but would that make her the best or worst prime minister?

Say what you like but I think if you're going by the per-days-prime-ministered truss should either be at the top or bottom of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Aipsh posted:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/maps/...?msoa=E02006801

This census stuff is fun. Really surprised at how low the 'identifies as Irish' figure is across the whole country. Can't imagine what might've happened to bring those numbers down

There's lots of fun stuff there. A lot of London areas are 50-60% British identity but <5% English Identity. Then there's places in Wales identifying more English. Also more people picked Irish ethnicity then identify Irish, not sure what that means?