Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nottherealaborn posted:

Lol maybe MS just don’t give a poo poo about the ending to Minecraft, because who the hell does?

Microsoft don't just refuse to pick up the phone like that because 'eh, not worth it'. They're absolutely stonewalling because it's the best way they've got to prevent word getting out that they don't actually own part of a game they own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So I've been using the Microsoft Legal Team approach to all my problems all this time? Neat!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

applying for a job in microsoft legal right now

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They're right about the power of silence when asked for comment, maybe wrong about Microsoft's intent, and not nearly mad enough at the publisher.

Not responding when you don't already have a company line is both powerful and easy because they can allocate effort proportionate to the public response once the publisher does the hard work of figuring out if people even give a poo poo.

Also what the gently caress does ending to Minecraft mean?

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

zedprime posted:

They're right about the power of silence when asked for comment, maybe wrong about Microsoft's intent, and not nearly mad enough at the publisher.

Not responding when you don't already have a company line is both powerful and easy because they can allocate effort proportionate to the public response once the publisher does the hard work of figuring out if people even give a poo poo.

Also what the gently caress does ending to Minecraft mean?

it's the long string of dialogue that plays after you beat the ender dragon

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I went to the substack where he was commissioned by notch to write a long poem that you get to read when you finish Minecraft, which is seen as just a nice bonus for people who cared. The company asked him to sign a contract giving them the rights to the ending for 1 buck. He said no and then it turns out they were just about to sell to Microsoft and it likely came up in the legal due diligence, so Microsoft said gently caress it and bought it anyway. Years later he decided it was not worth holding the copyright hostage so he released it on creative commons. A news editor approach him to have an article written but when they asked Ms for comment they went completely silent, freaking out the paper's legal thinking they had something up their sleeve, so the article never came out.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nottherealaborn posted:

Lol maybe MS just don’t give a poo poo about the ending to Minecraft, because who the hell does?

No one cares about the ending to Minecraft as much as that guy does. I assume when asked for his name in Starbucks he goes with 'writer of the ending of the most successful game of all time, Minecraft'

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Aramoro posted:

No one cares about the ending to Minecraft as much as that guy does. I assume when asked for his name in Starbucks he goes with 'writer of the ending of the most successful game of all time, Minecraft'

I mean, he wrote the ending to one of the most successful games of all time, that's pretty good.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Minecraft is extremely well known for its plot and writing and that's what drove sales, it's true

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Super weird to put down someone for being proud of their own achievements and wanted to write about their experience years after the fact

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, remove this from context and it really is just a guy getting screwed over because a corporation is mad that he wrote something they don't own. I'm siding with this guy, because he's absolutely in the right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe they should have better achievements then

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

I mean, he wrote the ending to one of the most successful games of all time, that's pretty good.

It's a technically accurate statement, but if you talk to anyone who 'finishes' Minecraft about the ending they aren't going to mention his dumb poem.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, remove this from context and it really is just a guy getting screwed over because a corporation is mad that he wrote something they don't own. I'm siding with this guy, because he's absolutely in the right.
If Microsoft was mad they would do something, anything. They have 1700 law team members after all(never mind 1600 of them are doing incredibly boring as-a-service contract and sales material review).

As it is I expect the editor was hoping this would get a stick in Microsoft's craw and make this news. They're not publishing because Microsoft not caring makes this not news. It's just a fun story to tell on web forums, maybe bring up in interviews if it's relevant.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Super weird to put down someone for being proud of their own achievements and wanted to write about their experience years after the fact

That’s not what the thread is about at all, so I have to assume this post is being disingenuous. He’s just trying to make MS not responding to a media company about his poem into a bigger deal than it is. Are they threatening him with legal action? No. Have they repeatedly pursued purchasing the rights to the poem? No.

Would MS prefer outright ownership of the poem in the game they paid billions for? Probably, but it’s clearly not anything they actually care about. Especially now he put the poem in public domain, that also means MS can use it freely (if they so choose). It just means MS can’t use it exclusively (which again, they clearly don’t give a poo poo about because why would they).

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Seems if MS had ever given a poo poo it would be trivially easy to change that one text in the "ending" of Minecraft

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Nottherealaborn posted:

so I have to assume this post is being disingenuous

This is even weirder! I read the substack and he was expressing some pride in his work (regardless of how little it seems) so I have no idea how you came to this kind of conclusion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
He keeps saying "They have 1,700 lawyers. They must know what they're doing with this cunning legal strategy," but anyone who has ever worked in a huge corporation knows it's way more likely that Microsoft lost the media request, had the wrong person fielding the phone calls, passed the request around to 5 different subdepartments within legal until no one cared to follow-up anymore. Having 1,700 lawyers probably increases the chances of them loving something like this up, and the fact that the story got squashed by it is just lucky for Microsoft.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Great tweets my dudes

https://twitter.com/will_luton/status/1610326326610726912

https://twitter.com/wolfpupy/status/391950570174418946

https://twitter.com/h3xenbrenner2/status/1610611230103961600

https://twitter.com/darth_erogenous/status/1610254292967120897

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1610325776640925698

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

This whole time I thought Minecraft was the game where you play with blocks and build things, not a game where you slay dragons and read poetry. What is the one I’m thinking of

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LEGO

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not yelling, you're supposed to capitalize all the letters.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1611303692665249792

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

He keeps saying "They have 1,700 lawyers. They must know what they're doing with this cunning legal strategy," but anyone who has ever worked in a huge corporation knows it's way more likely that Microsoft lost the media request, had the wrong person fielding the phone calls, passed the request around to 5 different subdepartments within legal until no one cared to follow-up anymore. Having 1,700 lawyers probably increases the chances of them loving something like this up, and the fact that the story got squashed by it is just lucky for Microsoft.

"You fill silence with hypothetical dread"

*Proceeds to fill silence with hypothetical dread*

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Minecraft ends?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Microsoft don't just refuse to pick up the phone like that because 'eh, not worth it'. They're absolutely stonewalling because it's the best way they've got to prevent word getting out that they don't actually own part of a game they own.

if they gave a tiny poo poo they'd just change the poem

this guy's thread is all about how he's so important that microsoft ignored his calls. wow compelling, good stuff. i too can't get microsoft to return my calls, smells like a conspiracy

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's 2023 and it still weirds me out to see actual emojis on SA. It's just... unnatural.

You're taking jobs from hard-working emote developers!

Ornamental Dingbat has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jan 6, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cleretic posted:

He didn't get screwed over though :confused:

I mean, gently caress Microsoft and all, but they didn't do him any harm at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Astroblast65/status/1611031936549412866

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turns out they were emailing Mike Rowe Soft the whole time.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It's 2023 and it still weirds me out to see actual emojis on SA. It's just... unnatural.

You're taking jobs from hard-working av developers!

I still call them emoticons sometimes

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SimonSays posted:

Seems if MS had ever given a poo poo it would be trivially easy to change that one text in the "ending" of Minecraft

Yeah I understand being proud of even a small part of a large, famous project.

He loses me when he goes 70s spy thriller on possibly the lowest stakes issue imaginable.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

As far as I can tell, a lot of people do care about the ending text of Minecraft and would probably be pretty upset if it changed, but I can't really tell what fraction of people that are invested in Minecraft care about the End Poem, since Minecraft is such a huge game and there are a lot of really different communities that arose around it given the malleability of the game, community nature, and variety of mods.

It's definitely famous enough I heard about it basically as soon as I started poking into any community stuff at all even if I primarily play singleplayer peaceful survival to just mine and craft those blocks. Basically I think the thing to keep in mind is you're not going to hear about it if you don't care about Minecraft but Minecraft has a huge user base. It kind of feels to me like MS would get worse backlash from changing the End Poem than just... letting it be a public domain thing since they've got the actual game locked down and who cares?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PetraCore posted:

As far as I can tell, a lot of people do care about the ending text of Minecraft and would probably be pretty upset if it changed, but I can't really tell what fraction of people that are invested in Minecraft care about the End Poem, since Minecraft is such a huge game and there are a lot of really different communities that arose around it given the malleability of the game, community nature, and variety of mods.

It's definitely famous enough I heard about it basically as soon as I started poking into any community stuff at all even if I primarily play singleplayer peaceful survival to just mine and craft those blocks. Basically I think the thing to keep in mind is you're not going to hear about it if you don't care about Minecraft but Minecraft has a huge user base. It kind of feels to me like MS would get worse backlash from changing the End Poem than just... letting it be a public domain thing since they've got the actual game locked down and who cares?

Except it was released Creative Commons so why would it need to change?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I think it's because Novelist Julian Gough (author of Minecraft's End Poem) comes across like a total dork. His problem is with Notch, not with Microsoft. He got paid €20,000 for his magnum opus, spent the €20,000 he was paid for it then refused to sign the contract. He feels put out that he didn't get any of the money Notch split amongst the staff despite not working for Mojang. He's not just proud of a poem he wrote, he considers himself one of the founding creators of Minecraft

Novelist Julian Gough (author of Minecraft's End Poem) posted:

Markus, and later Jens “Jeb” Bergensten, coded the original launch version; Daniel Rosenfeld, known as C418, wrote the music; the Swiss artist Kristoffer Zetterstrand did the in-game paintings ; I wrote the narrative ending. That’s it. That’s the team.

He goes as far as to blame the break up of his marriage on the financial pressures of not being dropped €100,000 or something by Notch.

If you ever needed another reason to dunk on this guys he wrote this

Novelist Julian Gough (author of Minecraft's End Poem) posted:

And so, out of his share of the sale, Markus gave two million Swedish crowns to every single Mojang employee, which was great. (That’s about $300,000 to each of the, by that time, 47 employees.)

But, again, in some ways, that made me feel worse. I admired the fact that he was, again, giving money to back-office staff who had just arrived in the last year, and had zero creative input into the game; that was generous of him, that was great for them, that was terrific all round; but I couldn’t understand why I was again being treated worse than them. I had helped him create the actual game, I had given him the ending he wanted but could not write, and his reward for me was trying to trick me into signing a contract I had never agreed to. And now he was mad at ME. Ugh. I felt lousy.

Imagine giving money to people who had zero creative input, get hosed Julian. Sorry I mean Novelist Julian Gough (author of Minecraft's End Poem).. He frames himself as Notch's friend and how could his friend do this to him, in reality he replied to a twitter post to get involved and write the end text for Minecraft, which already existed. Markus doesn't know who he is which is why he got none of the money.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Jan 6, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/1611429078934118401?s=20

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/TRASHTUNDRA/status/1611397219571179521?s=20&t=pPzcLgeVjrSYGWesPfricA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/214636339474345984

lol elon using his power to get embarassing pics deleted from twitter. Now we'll never know what his de Sade costume was like. Unless...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

rodbeard posted:

Minecraft ends?
If you gather the right stuff across the overworld and nether you can create an end portal and get to the end, a weird zone populated by endermen and the ender dragon. If you kill the ender dragon the game "ends" in that credits roll (and it's the most common end point for a Minecraft speed run), but once the credits are over you can just go back to playing the game. You can even respawn the ender dragon, but it's the closest thing the game has to an ending (plus the zone is called "the end").

PetraCore posted:

I've beaten the ender dragon and didn't even realize there was a poem, honestly. I'm in the camp that thinks Microsoft either flat-out doesn't care unless people start lawyering up or it fell through the cracks; working at a large company I've seen much bigger things than this fall through the cracks.

zoux posted:

lol elon using his power to get embarassing pics deleted from twitter. Now we'll never know what his de Sade costume was like. Unless...
https://twitter.com/Pilnok/status/1611406586483970048 This, 100%

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I;m thinking of you and your Family at this trying time, and of all thos who knew him.